ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 17 Iowa: Dogged Resolution

As to the point of Paul picking up his dribble, I agree. Don’t pick up dribble just across halfcourt esp. along sideline. I’m sure Paul knows, and realized his mistake as soon as he made it.
really bad error.. and not the first time he has done it. still like his game.. how young was he the first time someone told him.. "never leave your feet unless you know what you are doing with the ball"

Excellent recap - I’ll add that Caleb’s quiet night on offense (only attempted 5 shots) may have helped us win. Iowa dared him a few times to drive the ball and Caleb played a disciplined game in passing those up. He picked up offensive fouls in both of the last 2 games and seemed to understand that we couldn’t afford for him to play in foul trouble in this one.

Reactions: bac2therac
We need Caleb to average about 7-8pts, the first half I thought he could have looked for a shot or two more, in his range of course.

most nights and I think vs Minny, Caleb is going to have score more
Agreed but Caleb absolutely "locked in" on defense. He stymied whomever he was covering and forced turnovers. The entire team was having trouble making buckets against the Hawkeyes. If rutgers can get the offense they had against nebraska and the defense they had against Iowa, not many teams will be able to beat them. The pieces are here we just need to get them firing on all cylinders!

Cliff’s under the rim dunks are absolutely savage. Guy has the quickest dunk motion I’ve seen this year.

The early season losses certainly put a question mark on where this team was headed and everyone wondered what happened to the team we thought we knew. How it could it bleed out so bad? Yet on the brink of oblivion, Rutgers has responded in such remarkable ways that are fulfilling the love tank of Rutgers fans. The character of this team has been questioned at times. We as fans have been very demanding. Yet this team continue to quell our fears showing incredibly moxy and pluck. The defense tonight was beyond elite. Perhaps one that will down in RAC history as one of the greatest team performances ever. This wasnt one guy...this was everyone. Locked in and loaded like a well oil machine churning out defensive stop after defensive stop, forcing at least a half dozen shot clock violations. Thoroughly smother the best offensive team and player in the Big 10. I said after half that the defense was going to have to single handedly going to have to win this game. That they did. Missed layups, turnovers, missed opportunities on offense, no problem, RU just went down and got the stops. Keeping their eye of the prize, never flustered when the shots did not go on, a stark contrast to a game like Penn State. The wheel kept turning and chugging.

Something has to be said for having a veteran team. This is your classic example of a veteran team "knowing". They have been through these wars before. Never seen such tenacity from a group of kids than tonight. Dogged resolution....Rutgers was going to continue to do it their way tonight even if that journey was going to be incredibly difficult. Balls of steel tonight. Rutgers was riding the starters and two of them going down in cramps. It was evident some of them were battling some fatigue in the late stages but they were not going to let this one go. Their coach "knows" too. He has been through this before. More rapid than eagles, his coursers they came. And Pikiell whistled and Pikiell shouted and Pikiell called them by name On Omoruyi, On Mulcahy, On Caleb, On Baker On Harper and Reiber! Mr Pikiell had them pounding nails and chewing tacks. Creating a beautiful ugly mosiac that only a Rutgers fan could appreciate.

First the first time in my life, I experienced my heart sinking from my chest to the pit of my stomach as that baseball heave was caught cleanly by Murray just beyond the 3 point lead. This was not happening again. **** no! No it did not happen again, it was a great look, it fell short. The gods smiled at Rutgers again. Winners win but almost always they get some luck somewhere down the line. Like these things even themselves out. Was that a bad call on Murray on Harper? How can you call that with 2 seconds left away from the basket. Poppycock I say! I do not want to hear anything. Its part of the game. You take what you get and you never apologize or you never feel bad for getting a lucky call down the stretch and especially since RU has seemingly been on the wrong side of way too many of these.

Cliff just a monster on the boards with 14 and while the shot wasnt going down, he certainly is growing into his role as a defensive warrior. Coming back from his cramping issue that looked scary, he effected almost every play inside. Not Myles yet but the leap Cliff has taken in the last few weeks. A man becoming a stud. Iowa could really get nothing going inside nor outside. Caleb just harrassed Bohannon totally and made him rush everything. Quiet offensively he pulled down 7 boards, it was all about defense for him. Geo Baker struggled mightily with his shot but his block around the 10 minute mark which led to a layup and the drive to the hoop where he was fouled and drained 2 free throws was the catalyst for Rutgers making it a rock fight the last 10 minutes. Game was tied at 38 but from then on this became a slugfest where neither team would budge. RU would keep Iowa from a fg for over 9 minutes. Rutgers would be almost as futile hitting just 2 buckets in about 8 minutes. But doggone it Rutgers was not going to lose this one. Rutgers fittingly would lean on Ron Harper down the stretch. It was time for Ron to take over, he didnt have a lot of shots 30 minutes in. Ron would score 8 of RU's last 10 points in the final 9 minutes, 4 of them on free throws including the game winners. Ron was just 5-10 for the night. Credit Iowa, they didnt give anything easy to Ron all night and the battle between him and Murray seemed more defensive than offensive. Fitting that both were involved in the final plays that decided the game. Paul Mulcahy certainly an up and down game. No shot at all tonight but he did hit one of only 2 3s for RU but Paul gutted it out with a mercurial 39 minute night and dished out 7 assists. Yes that turnover late really was bad but Paul isnt perfect yet he played his part tonight as floor general. You dont want to just hand Iowa easy transition opportunities and I thought Paul was pretty good at controlling the tempo of this game which was not going to work to Iowa's favor.

The bench got some minutes and for the majority including Hyatt who was a dreadful 0-7 and could be regressing and Mag 0-3 seems to have lost confidence. However the surprise continues to be the growth of Dean Reiber. 4 points 7 minutes, 1 block but 2 assists and a crucial one to Ron for a layup with about 3:20 to give RU a lead 44-43 that they never would relinquish. The emergence of Reiber as a player that can be a plus player changes everything. If he can continue to play his role and to make the most of his opportunity, RU might just be able to survive the times that Cliff finds himself in foul trouble. Have to give props to Agee, forced into action because both Cliff and Dean picked up 2 fouls, Agee had a quick flurry of 4 points. Again thats what role players do, he fulfilled his role. Its all Pike asks of him.

The RAC crowd was solid tonight. Again another surprising 7k or so, Yes the incessant mask requirement does mute the loudness in the RAC no doubt. It was tough for the fans to get involved in the first half and the beginning stages of the 2nd half but I felt they really came through at times late and the student section was full and put in a strong effort. Certainly another assist awarded to the fans tonight. Rutgers continues to defend their house in the Big 10. If all the Big 10 games were played at the RAC, RU would be favorites to win the league.

Going forward, its the same mantra. Game by game. Hope to take the confidence of knowing how to win, knowing how to come back from adversity and find that dog in them that will give them the resolution to keep pounding nails right to the finish. Hopefully Minnesota game gets played. Obviously it presents different challenges against a team that is surprising with some younger talent where again RU will need to create their own energy. This win was rough on the ticker. I am sure others are feeling the same way. Enjoy this win for a couple of days. This is turning into exactly like the "farewell tour" we were expecting to see at the RAC this season

Bump

Reactions: RUDiddy777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT