ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 27 MARYLAND: Move on and turn the page

bac- one of your best recaps because its focus was on next season's roster formation.The status quo bringing back all the players with eligibility is the wrong response.Bailey and Harper will need offensive support because scrounging to score 60 plus points will only result in more fan disappointment.Pikiell also needs to evaluate the coaching staff because player development needs improvement.Foul shooting and rebounding are obvious problem areas.Teaching a half court offense that utilizes the skillset of players also needs attention.
How about 11:38 without a field goal today
How about an offensive coach who actually runs plays!!

he is improving that is the point...while others who know better are getting worse and do not care
oskar is improving too

How many crap games in a row do you need to see.

Lets hope jwill doesnt hold losing games and playing guys based on recruiting stars against us when he makes his decision where he wants to play next year. Id be pissed as a player.

GAVIN absolutly should be playing over Austin..if you cannot see his improvement the past 3 games and what Pike is trying to accomplish with bringing him along you are suffering from GDS
Gavin has shown some signs the last few games. Actually played some good defense for him today, blocked a few shots and got some boards. At this point, the NIT may become out of reach soon and Gavin is actually earning minutes right now as opposed to them being handed to him as others had complained about earlier in the year. Gavin definitely deserves some sort of bump up in his minutes to close out the season. We just scored 46 points in a game for cryin’ out loud. Even with Jeremiah we look like the crappy team again.

With the supporting cast issues that loom, I’m actually WORRIED that next year will be a bust even if it is more exciting.
You and @bac2therac make good points. People that say they don't want Cliff and Mag back must be under some delusion that they are easy to replace. They aren't. We need defensive players like them to complement Dylan and Ace. Then I think we need one REALLY GOOD sharp shooter out of the portal to fortify the roster. A Cam Spencer or Payton Sandfort type. In theory, we already have that player in Griffiths, but obviously, it's not turning out that way.

If we end up with neither Mag nor Omoruyi next season, I'm not even sure we make the NCAA Tournament, never mind the Sweet 16.

Last edited:
Gavin has shown some signs the last few games. Actually played some good defense for him today, blocked a few shots and got some boards. At this point, the NIT may become out of reach soon and Gavin is actually earning minutes right now as opposed to them being handed to him as others had complained about earlier in the year. Gavin definitely deserves some sort of bump up in his minutes to close out the season. We just scored 46 points in a game for cryin’ out loud. Even with Jeremiah we look like the crappy team again.
Gavin played 20+ minutes and scores 3 points. He is getting minutes and doing nothing with them. How many times was a loose ball in his area and he was beaten to it?

Anyone thinks he is getting minutes because of what he has done on the court needs to ask themselves if Gavin has earned 20 minutes hoe many minutes has Austin and Oskar earned?

In the last 7 games....
Gavin has played 108 minutes and has scored 12 points
He is 2-12 from 2 and 2-15 from 3 (4-27 total)
He has 1 OREB and 13 DREB

In that span Oskar
played 4 games 54 minutes and has scored 23 points
5-5 from 2 and 4-8 from 3
only 2 oreb and 3 dreb

Gavin played 20+ minutes and scores 3 points. He is getting minutes and doing nothing with them. How many times was a loose ball in his area and he was beaten to it?

Anyone thinks he is getting minutes because of what he has done on the court needs to ask themselves if Gavin has earned 20 minutes hoe many minutes has Austin and Oskar earned?

2 shots because his teammates are selfish

A lot of hard choices to be made next month. Need to run off at least 2 guys and then some others who are starters should be bench players next year. I'm getting my popcorn ready.
We can run a half dozen players off to Elon, etc. Problem is, we might be begging them to come back.

• Haha
Reactions: darkcheck
You arent watching close enough
What am i looking for?

His shooting numbers are definitive

How is he on defense? improving, yes. Bad Yes.

How is he getting 50/50s? Awful, afraid of contact.

How is it for team morale when a guy who has been the worse performing player we have ever seen play extended minutes in a RU uniform is out on the court?

Reactions: biker7766 and kcg88
What am i looking for?

His shooting numbers are definitive

How is he on defense? improving, yes. Bad Yes.

How is he getting 50/50s? Awful, afraid of contact.

How is it for team morale when a guy who has been the worse performing player we have ever seen play extended minutes in a RU uniform is out on the court?

Hyperbole

Reactions: shields
Penn State game redux and I do not need to repeat my description from that game. In simple terms Rutgers was humiliated on its home court by Maryland. Boys vs Men and you never want to have that description especially if you have a couple guys who have been here for 4-5 years. In other words Rutgers was soft today and didnt particularly care with the exception of a few players. Rutgers came out pretty aimlessly on offense early, going through the emotions while tossing bricks and missing free throws. Maryland did not look much bettter yet it all it took for them to get going was 3 poorly defended 3 pointers that went in and holding an inept anemic Rutgers team scoreless for the final 6 minutes of the half. Lead was 30-18 game over and if you were not convinced the Terp would then run the lead to 43-22 as RU offensive futility reached new lows. RU made a brief rally when Pike finally figured out he needed to shake up the lineup. Oskar, Gavin, J Will brought some spark and noise to the RAC as RU clawed to just down 10 at 47-37. Yet the comeback proved futile and Maryland punched back and RU with starters back in perhaps looked worse than they did in the first half. What you saw is what you got. No need to dwell on the what, whys, whos, and hows it went wrong. Nothing hidden. A listless rudderless performance that RU has shown this year. J Will was a big addition and surprise but the word i out and when you peel the layers off its still the same woefully inept offensive team that has gigantic roster management issues. End game recap. Season over? Well still an outside shot at the NIT however observing this team today, I am thinking they are more packing it in than wanting to play on. I thought an NIT run would be big for these kids, but I think there are too many on the roster that will not have the hunger.

Moving forward now that ANY NCAA talk can now be flushed, it is time to move on and turn the page to next season. Dylan and Ace are coming. Tons of excitement and anticipation to come. Rutgers have not seen this kind of talent here ever. Its a game changer yet it is not guarantee to be successful. How Pike molds the surrounding cast is of the utmost importance. zA team can never have enough talent. Not a fan of Pike's navigation through the portal the last few years. I feel he is too loyal to returning players to do the NECESSARY movement that other coaches do to move ineffective and overmatched players out and move new ones in to compliment the team. Yes Pike was dealt a bad hand with Cam and then with Paul going. Pike had an injured Mag yet he brought in a guy with a NCAA gambling issue/transfer issue looming over him plus two other guys coming off injuries. Pike also chose to bring back Hyatt who automatically would be a starter. To me its just really bad roster management and showing loyalty by refusing to recruit over players.

Now what happens this off season. Is Cliff back? Is Mag back? Do either of them let it be known early they are coming back? Does Pike get strung along and its another Cam/Paul situation? What are the expectations for Simpson? Does Pike feel he needs to recruit another shooting guard as a back up for Dylan. Is Pike committed to Gavin and feels he can produce next year..and I am seeing some promise from GG in his last few. I do not expect Dorstch and Grant to have immediate impact as freshmen. Summerville may have more potential as an impact player but its likely even he will take some time to adjust. Will J Mike be the other starting guard with Dylan. Doesnt it seem like we really need to nail down the Mag and Cliff situations the most. How aggressive will Pike be? Will Chol and Wolf get the talk? Will even another player who has seen major minutes get the talk? Can RU find more NIL money? Is it even realistic? Does the lure of Ace/Dylan attract better talent and then in 2025 to put the program on a stable path after they supposedly are one and done.

The off season roster management will be critical to how far Rutgers can go next year. Sitting on its hands, Rutgers is going to set themselves up for disappointment. Its the biggest portal of Pike's life. Will he be up to the task. No doubt the expecations will be high for next season. You bring guys like this in because you expect a run. The NCAA tourney is the bare minimum. You want to get to the sweet 16 too but things can happen to screw that up. Its a unique challenge for Pikiell and this program and lets face it, they are not headed into next season in a good spot considering the wobbly end to this season.
couple more of these page turners and we'll be at the epilogue sooner than expected with very few credits to have to read.

GAVIN absolutly should be playing over Austin..if you cannot see his improvement the past 3 games and what Pike is trying to accomplish with bringing him along you are suffering from GDS
I am hardly impressed by Gavin but I can see this. His defensive efforts and that shot block on Reese yesterday made me smile.

Green Rice, if you can't see what Gavin would give us if handled properly, I would suggest you either don't know basketball or are biased in some way against the player or his style of play.
Pike watched him for months before the season started and he emerged as a starter in his first game.
Are you saying Pike is not qualified to assess Gavin's ability?
Before he got benched so much he was our most productive offensive player per minute
Gavin scored 8 pts a game in 19 minutes for the first 5 games he played against power 5 opponents.
Thats 14.2 pts in 30 minutes
He needs confidence and volume. He doesn't get help with either.
He's definitely a little soft but players will look soft when playing tentatively.
I would assert that this team could only succeed if we got Gavin to score
He is the only player on the team other then J Will with the necessary skill set to play the 3 on the big level
This team is full of selfish players, we never make the extra pass

plenty and they were not freshmen

I will note how awful highly recruited Kadeem Jack was his first couple of years and then brought out his junior year and had a very solid senior year.
Kadeem jack didn't get extended minutes as a freshman.

Kadeem played 11.5% minutes
Gavin is over 40%

I do not want to see Hyatt

I do not want to see Wolf

I do not want to see Noah

on a roster of nothing Gavin has to play

sorry but you are bringing some real feelings i have toward how collossally bad this roster is.

threading the needle works sometimes...its generally a recipe for disaster. Pike gets no pass for bad luck this season roster moves because what was the excuse for the absolute lack of depth last year

Green Rice, if you can't see what Gavin would give us if handled properly, I would suggest you either don't know basketball or are biased in some way against the player or his style of play.
Pike watched him for months before the season started and he emerged as a starter in his first game.
Are you saying Pike is not qualified to assess Gavin's ability?
Before he got benched so much he was our most productive offensive player per minute
Gavin scored 8 pts a game in 19 minutes for the first 5 games he played against power 5 opponents.
Thats 14.2 pts in 30 minutes
He needs confidence and volume. He doesn't get help with either.
He's definitely a little soft but players will look soft when playing tentatively.
I would assert that this team could only succeed if we got Gavin to score
He is the only player on the team other then J Will with the necessary skill set to play the 3 on the big level
This team is full of selfish players, we never make the extra pass
You are seeing what you want to see. I go to games to watch us win. We have guys on the bench that RIGHT NOW put us in a much better position to succeed.

There are also chemistry issues, which given what you say you would agree with. Kind of understandable when coach is giving minutes to players based on recruiting rankings

You are seeing what you want to see. I go to games to watch us win. We have guys on the bench that RIGHT NOW put us in a much better position to succeed.

There are also chemistry issues, which given what you say you would agree with. Kind of understandable when coach is giving minutes to players based on recruiting rankings
succeed for what...hey guess was in the game when RU went 11 minutes with 2 points....it wasnt gavin or oskar thats for sure

Reactions: shields
what players were in the game when RU showed a pulse on offense

is a nit first round loss at home where Cliff and Mag decide they dont want to put out effort so important to you

gavin should be playing because he is a potential key cog...we need to see what he has or doesnt have right now

what is wrong with you..there are not even that many players on the team we could play.

the roster is not good. Hyatt never should have never been brought back...THERE I SAID IT....Pike did a woeful job offseason

Pike knew it would take a year for Mag to get back to play yet Pike didnt recruit a guy who could play his position even after Mag flirted with leaving

if Pike does not learn his lesson to stop with this insane loyalty its not going to be pretty

I do not want to see Hyatt

I do not want to see Wolf

I do not want to see Noah

on a roster of nothing Gavin has to play

sorry but you are bringing some real feelings i have toward how collossally bad this roster is.

threading the needle works sometimes...its generally a recipe for disaster. Pike gets no pass for bad luck this season roster moves because what was the excuse for the absolute lack of depth last year
So you are OK getting the snot beat out of us the last 3 games. You are OK watching J Williams leave because he doesnt like to lose and doesnt like that the coach quit on the season playing guys thathave no business playing.

This season is on the precipice of a real collapse. Maybe it is NCAA or bust for fans....and i get that sentiment.

Loser programs and loser teams show up on Wednesday to play in front of 300 people on wednesday in B1G tournament. The day after Rutgers loses J Williams in going in the transfer portal and I think it makes a difference how the season ends. Possible it doesn't

• Sad
Reactions: cRURah
gavin should be playing because he is a potential key cog...we need to see what he has or doesnt have right now

what is wrong with you..there are not even that many players on the team we could play.

the roster is not good. Hyatt never should have never been brought back...THERE I SAID IT....Pike did a woeful job offseason

Pike knew it would take a year for Mag to get back to play yet Pike didnt recruit a guy who could play his position even after Mag flirted with leaving

if Pike does not learn his lesson to stop with this insane loyalty its not going to be pretty
How many games do we need to watch Gavin give us nothing?

If we are truly interested about next season here is a burning question.........
Do we want Oskar to come back?
If there was one guy to play and see what we have it is him. we all know we want gavin back.

So you are OK getting the snot beat out of us the last 3 games. You are OK watching J Williams leave because he doesnt like to lose and doesnt like that the coach quit on the season playing guys thathave no business playing.

This season is on the precipice of a real collapse. Maybe it is NCAA or bust for fans....and i get that sentiment.

Loser programs and loser teams show up on Wednesday to play in front of 300 people on wednesday in B1G tournament. The day after Rutgers loses J Williams in going in the transfer portal and I think it makes a difference how the season ends. Possible it doesn't
yes

is J will leaving for a 4th program....i doubt it and if he is then its says alot. why would you even say this...what is this based on...and if he does than Pike will be able to offer alot to a guy who wants to play with Ace and Dylan

you are approaching the end of this season thinking we are bringing in Corey Chandler and Johhny Blake and not two NBA lottery picks

the season is over, what are you talking about. collapse...there is no difference from 15-16 and 16-15

indiana, michigan ohios state will all be in the first 4 games

neither have Ace and Dylan coming in next year

How many games do we need to watch Gavin give us nothing?

If we are truly interested about next season here is a burning question.........
Do we want Oskar to come back?
If there was one guy to play and see what we have it is him. we all know we want gavin back.
he didnt give us nothing...when he was in the game the team had pulses on offense and closed the gap...when he was out, the team went 11 minutes with one fg

Oskar coming back is not a big deal to me. he will play spot minutes

austin williams....ahhahahahahaha are you really fooled...i guess you are.

besides playing him does nothing to move the program forward

oskar has played more minutes and will continue to do so....however lets also remember Oskars time is over
What wins did Austin have a hand in winning?
How about Gavin?

Gavin was huge against BU and had a spurt in a loss to Purdue when he made shots and then followed it up by turning it over and getting torched on D

Austin.....was one our best players for 2-3 weeks before getting hurt. Was huge in wins against Nebraska and Indiana

Gavin has gotten plenty of chances. He shouldn't be this high on the depth chart. It isn't right.

At what point are you going to say we have a Jaden Jones here? I am not giving up on Gavin. I want him back, but it is far from certain he is ever going to help us win games.

yes

is J will leaving for a 4th program....i doubt it and if he is then its says alot. why would you even say this...what is this based on...and if he does than Pike will be able to offer alot to a guy who wants to play with Ace and Dylan

you are approaching the end of this season thinking we are bringing in Corey Chandler and Johhny Blake and not two NBA lottery picks

the season is over, what are you talking about. collapse...there is no difference from 15-16 and 16-15

indiana, michigan ohios state will all be in the first 4 games

neither have Ace and Dylan coming in next year
If Jwill has been at 3 schools already without NIL why wouldn't you think he would go to a 4th for $. He would be silly not to.

You also need to pump the brakes with Ace and Dylan.

What wins did Austin have a hand in winning?
How about Gavin?

Gavin was huge against BU and had a spurt in a loss to Purdue when he made shots and then followed it up by turning it over and getting torched on D

Austin.....was one our best players for 2-3 weeks before getting hurt. Was huge in wins against Nebraska and Indiana

Gavin has gotten plenty of chances. He shouldn't be this high on the depth chart. It isn't right.

At what point are you going to say we have a Jaden Jones here? I am not giving up on Gavin. I want him back, but it is far from certain he is ever going to help us win games.
Part of my problem reading this debate between BAC and Greene is that it doesn’t take into account Gavin’s mindset which is all wrong. Gavin sees himself as a 3 point specialist ona team that doesn’t set him up with screens , double screens , staggered screens or pin downs . He is 6’8 and plays kid he is 6’2. He doesn’t have to hang on the perimeter and await a pass that may but unlikely to come his way because of bad guard passing. With the exception of a game or 2 where Pike actually tried screening for Gavin with a double screen. Why only 1 or 2 games ?
Gavin should be driving into the lane and pulling up from 10-15 feet in the paint and shooting . I would rather he shoot than Derek who has been clanking them at an alarmingly bad rate.
He is also 6’8 and needs to go get rebounds on both boards and his lack of strength has not let him hold onto some rebounds. He has to stop thinking it is high school with lazy passes and going behind his back . Even if the guy stays with him , he is 6’8 and can elevate with good footwork. His mindset is only 3 point specialist and it should be more 2 point specialist and take threes on kick outs or when Pike actually sets up screens to get him the 3 . Otherwise go be a complete basketball player , which is the overall disappointment in his game from the expectations I had.

If Jwill has been at 3 schools already without NIL why wouldn't you think he would go to a 4th for $. He would be silly not to.

You also need to pump the brakes with Ace and Dylan.
if he is at a 4th school so be it but why would he want to leave Ace and Dylan

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT