ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 8 Pittsburgh: EXPOSED

Mulcahy on D cheats to the lane leaving his man. When the opponent finds that man it is too far for Mulcahy to close out so it is an open three or easy to pass him by as Mulcahy charges out to defend. Helping on D might have worked for him in high school but he has to learn his #1 priority in man-to-man is his man.

Mathis too

Yes, our shooting stunk. But don't overlook our 20 turnovers. You can't turn it over 20 times and win any game against a decent opponent.

Did not catch Mulcahy.. line says 9 minutes (averages 16), 1 shot, missed, 2 TOs... bad turnovers? was he mugged at all? would think we want him shooting more.. he is only at 50% but if you sort our team by FG% he is number 5.. ouch.. the big men are 2.3 and 3 and 4 is Harper.

stats

just read the previous post on Mulcahy cheating to the lane on D allowing open 3s.. that could earn bench time

I think the other positive other than Johnson is that Mathis quietly seems to be improving.
Turnovers are tough but it is the shooting that is horrific.
Somehow how to work Kiss back into the lineup as the only person with a decent 3 point shot.
Way too many threes that are not even close. They are literally deflating.

a big issue with this team is consistency. One night Myles can be great, the next he is a non factor. Ditto for Ron or Geo. Mathis can show improvement one game and revert back to his ways the next few. Until this team puts strings of games together where the players are consistent from game to game, the program is going to struggle to get to the place where they need to get. The tougher competition will help IMO

a big issue with this team is consistency. One night Myles can be great, the next he is a non factor. Ditto for Ron or Geo. Mathis can show improvement one game and revert back to his ways the next few. Until this team puts strings of games together where the players are consistent from game to game, the program is going to struggle to get to the place where they need to get. The tougher competition will help IMO

Agree with all this....except Myles has been a huge factor in every game this year. Offensively his production has been inconsistent.

Myles is very good right now. He makes a tremendous impact defensively. There is not a doubt in my mind that he isn't our best player and definitely our MVP

This board has turned into the football venue until Schiano was rehired.Negative. Whiny. Disgusting. Some of you just just like to cry. Do you do this to your families? Art work? Ok so we're not ready for prime time. We haven't been in the Dance since Bush1. It wlli take time. It's better than football. Get a god damned grip.

Hard to believe the message board for a team that hasn't had a winning season since 2006 would be negative. I imagine it's all sunshine and rainbows on the Miami Dolphins message boards these days too.

Reactions: bac2therac
I'm bullish on this team. We laid an egg on the road 9 pm start time. The guys need to learn to travel and play in a hostile environment. I like the teamwork and spirit on the team and the rebounding is very good. They need to stop jacking up 3's. They do need a 3 point shooter. Looks like none on this roster so they need to stop taking those shots. They should take less than 10 shots from the arc per game IMO.

Reactions: bac2therac
As a basketball purist I wish everyone shot 0% from 3 and we had a 45 second shot clock............and I realize 1% of the population would agree

Mulcahy on D cheats to the lane leaving his man. When the opponent finds that man it is too far for Mulcahy to close out so it is an open three or easy to pass him by as Mulcahy charges out to defend. Helping on D might have worked for him in high school but he has to learn his #1 priority in man-to-man is his man.
I have been saying this since the very first game and it’s really evident with him but also our other guards leaving players wide open for 3 point shots especially when the other team rotate the ball quickly

One little thing I’ve noticed about Pike’s teams is they go into a shell after a bad call. Twice against Pitt they were on a solid run only to have a bad call stop play. From that point on the wheels fell off immediately both times.

I’ve seen this in other games over the past 4 seasons as well, and I’m not sure why. I almost feel like if Pike would just once get a T after a bad call it would keep the team fired up. But you can just feel the air coming out of the balloon when it happens. Might just be between the ears.

Remember this thread? A little over a month old. How times have changed. I’m proud of my post in this thread where I said I was bullish on this team while most were quite negative. Anyway the main reason I’m bumping this is to point out how far this team has come in one month.

Reactions: BillyC80
Remember this thread? A little over a month old. How times have changed. I’m proud of my post in this thread where I said I was bullish on this team will most were quite negative. Anyway the main reason I’m bumping this is to point out how far this team has come in one month.
Very much so. I think the Geo injury focused the team. That Pitt game was one of the most depressing games I've seen in years and now we get back to back B1G wins without Geo and without shooting well in his stead.

Reactions: BillyC80
Remember this thread? A little over a month old. How times have changed. I’m proud of my post in this thread where I said I was bullish on this team will most were quite negative. Anyway the main reason I’m bumping this is to point out how far this team has come in one month.

Cringing reading my analysis but at the time right after that game it was brutal. So I will own it because no one saw this coming. We were anemic on offense and our defense was shaky. Young was nonexistent. This team came back to the RAC went to work and changed their season. That we did it without Geo is even more stunning.

Not pretty all the time and doing it with defense. Mulcahy went from not ready at all to a legit force point. Looks like i was wrong about recruiting though but still we need that one piece that will complete us on the perimeter

The metomorphis has been epic

People forget how young this team is. The sophomore core four spent last year playing in Omoruyi and Baker's shadow. Now with Eugene gone and Geo out with an injury, they're learning to carry the load. In the long run, the team will benefit from Baker being out because of the resulting development in the four sophomores and Young and Mulcahy.

Same team......let's not forget how important playing at home is. I felt at the time we beat Pitt at home.

Remember this thread? A little over a month old. How times have changed. I’m proud of my post in this thread where I said I was bullish on this team while most were quite negative. Anyway the main reason I’m bumping this is to point out how far this team has come in one month.
It's funny, but the point about them taking less than 10 threes in a game was spot on or close to spot on last night.

It's funny, but the point about them taking less than 10 threes in a game was spot on or close to spot on last night.
And we made only two three pointers in the game (two of ten). This needs to be the template for future games. Pound inside and draw fouls. And make free throws.

I so believe in pounding it inside especially with this team. I remember when Rashod Kent at 6’4 “ 265lbs. would be unstoppable down low ...guys like Joel Salvi , Sean Axani...it makes it so much easier to get that open outside shot when we go inside out... then with a improving Jacob Young or Mulcahy to drive the lane...it is fun to watch... stay positive and confident Rutgers.

Reactions: FastMJ
I so believe in pounding it inside especially with this team. I remember when Rashod Kent at 6’4 “ 265lbs. would be unstoppable down low ...guys like Joel Salvi , Sean Axani...it makes it so much easier to get that open outside shot when we go inside out... then with a improving Jacob Young or Mulcahy to drive the lane...it is fun to watch... stay positive and confident Rutgers.
I always thought Rashod Kent would have kicked ass as a Tight End

Cringing reading my analysis but at the time right after that game it was brutal. So I will own it because no one saw this coming. We were anemic on offense and our defense was shaky. Young was nonexistent. This team came back to the RAC went to work and changed their season. That we did it without Geo is even more stunning.

Not pretty all the time and doing it with defense. Mulcahy went from not ready at all to a legit force point. Looks like i was wrong about recruiting though but still we need that one piece that will complete us on the perimeter

The metomorphis has been epic
I feel the same way about my thoughts. Some wise people on this board were more rational and cautioned us on giving the season more time to allow the team to reveal what they were trying to become. We are seeing that happen.

I have to remember that the core of this team is a bunch of sophomores. Sophomoric means confidence without the substance. They are building the substance now to support their confidence. And now we are seeing some great results. It just needed some time. I should have been more patient with this season, with coach, and with these players

Reactions: FastMJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT