ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 9 OHIO STATE: Pick Up the Pieces

In a weird way I’m more content than I was at the end because I can more legitimately redirect my anger for the loss on the refs rather than being disgusted with simply blowing another late lead on the road through 100% of our doing. The fact that the world knows we are good enough to win and got screwed helps. Just wish Baker Mayfield didn’t happen and steal some of the headlines.
right now I blame coach, as much as the refs

we are not a good foul shooting team.....this has been known forever

when you foul, you are starting a foul for foul situation

why would we put ourselves in a situation where we would be trading foul shots with OSU, in the last 10 seconds or so?

right now I blame coach, as much as the refs

we are not a good foul shooting team.....this has been known forever

when you foul, you are starting a foul for foul situation

why would we put ourselves in a situation where we would be trading foul shots with OSU, in the last 10 seconds or so?
I hate the strategy, but we’ve actually been ~average at FTs this year so far which is a huge improvement

This is the second time in a 12 game span that an opponent has pretty blatantly committed a sideline infraction and the refs just swallowed the whistle. Anyone remember how Penn State guarded the last inbounds pass? If he simply reached over the sideline it's a violation, though that probably doesn't get called. But this dude full on jumped over and landed out of bounds. We'd still be talking about this today if Sessoms had made the shot.

My opinion? In both situations the refs choked. They're so concerned with other things (last night they're focused on whether McConnell is fouling, against Penn State they're probably focused on the 5 second count and ensuring Mulcahy doesn't move his feet) and they got tunnel vision. Players and coaches can choke in big moments. So can refs.

Mulcahy.png

This is the second time in a 12 game span that an opponent has pretty blatantly committed a sideline infraction and the refs just swallowed the whistle. Anyone remember how Penn State guarded the last inbounds pass? If he simply reached over the sideline it's a violation, though that probably doesn't get called. But this dude full on jumped over and landed out of bounds. We'd still be talking about this today if Sessoms had made the shot.

My opinion? In both situations the refs choked. They're so concerned with other things (last night they're focused on whether McConnell is fouling, against Penn State they're probably focused on the 5 second count and ensuring Mulcahy doesn't move his feet) and they got tunnel vision. Players and coaches can choke in big moments. So can refs.

Mulcahy.png
Yeh both terrible officiating. Last night the baseline bozo ref near OSU basket had a clear view of OSU player waaaaaay out-of-bounds and illegally catching/shooting the ball. Choked? Or dummy didn't know the rule? Gave it away?

first off, I think we got screwed, not defending the call

the wiggle room is part b.....even though that the eventual shooter was way out of bounds, both feet well out, if they determine his momentum carried him out, he could come back in and get the ball..... if you read part b as it is, its pretty clear

again, I don't believe it was a momentum thing, but the refs can now say that was it.....very unfair to us
It 100% wasn't momentum he's just not looking and drifted out of bounds slowly

He also didn't reestablish anyway so even if they wanted to try to use that excuse it's STILL a blown call

It was an egregious error. It was worse than the St Johns Big East game and probably 2nd only to RU women-Tennessee clockgate.

I mentioned this in another thread before I read your recap. Last night I was also thinking how this result goes right alongside those two in Rutgers lore. We now have a trifecta of royal ref screw jobs in basketball.

Sorry BAC. That’s such an awful take! The bottom line is absolutely not that, “Rutgers didn’t get it done”. That’s a ridiculous spin. In such a close game on the road against a Top 25 team, refs matter.

The story of this game was the travesty of the refs. The B1G refs stole a game from RU.

1. Time on clock was extremely suspect from amount of time elapsed to not starting on rebound.
2. Dribbler stepped on line.
3. Shooter ran out of bounds of own volition.
4. Shooter can’t be first to catch pass after out of bounds.
5. Shooter never established inbounds before catching ball.
6. Shooter still looked out.
7. Refs didn’t review.

A travesty of errors. As someone noted above, rest of the game doesn’t matter.

Refs should be banned. B1G has to address this. The story was RU was hosed, jobbed. Inexcusable!

Cliff had a nice 2nd half.
Spencer was great.
Hyatt looks like he is improving.
Paul was clutch with foul shots.
Fouls in first half again were ridiculous against RU!
Pattern here?

Repeat after me BAC. Refs matter and especially where RU is concerned, it has never evened out. This game could cost us a seed or even making the tourney.
We’ll have to listen to Sports writers for a month that RU can’t win on the road.

We would have been 1st place in the B1G until after New Years! B1G and refs took that all away from us. That’s the bottom line!!! Travesty
Agree100%. Bad take by Bac. Missed rebounds, missed FT’soccur every game. Inexplicable ref oversights at end game changing outcome don’t. It is not about RU not getting it done.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Agree100%. Bad take by Bac. Missed rebounds, missed FT’soccur every game. Inexplicable ref oversights at end game changing outcome don’t. It is not about RU not getting it done.
I thought we were fortunate to get that moving pick call near the end of the game......just as the player swished a three pointer......

the announcers had to go over it a couple of times before agreeing it was a foul....so I don't think the refs were totally in the tank for OSU...that play hurt them pretty big

I thought we were fortunate to get that moving pick call near the end of the game......just as the player swished a three pointer......

the announcers had to go over it a couple of times before agreeing it was a foul....so I don't think the refs were totally in the tank for OSU...that play hurt them pretty big

I thought it was fairly obvious. They call that on us every time

Reactions: Loyal-Son

I most definitely referenced the horrible call so not sure what you and Gunit are talking about

Didn’t say they were in the tank. Woefully blown call.

Paul Cam Caleb Mag Cliff is still my starting 5
Pikiell was afraid a Rutgers player would cause a foul going for the missed foul shot.The strategy should have been to have multiple players on the foul line to take additional time off the clock getting the ball upcourt which might have delayed Ohio State getting a shot off before time elapsed.

Whether it was a blown last call...putting yourself in a situation where the opponent has 5 seconds for a game winning three is the best situation.
after the ill advised foul exchanges, I believe the team on the floor "got it done"

had the shooter been on the court the entire sequence thereafter, he would not have had the room necessary to get off the winning shot....

that said
In no instance would I want to trade 1 and 1"s late in the game, with a lead less than 4...... I was surprised when we fouled and though it very unlike Pike to do so...

ADVERTISEMENT