ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Penn State

Just made 3 posts in the coronavirus thread by accident, lol. Noticed there were no other posts being made and figured everyone had stopped watching the game.

42-24 at the half. Worst half of the season. JY our best player tonight by far. Everyone else has sucked balls.

I can't believe we're actually watching this team play it's way out of the tournament

Reactions: Scangg
Cue the running offense in the 2nd half because we’re behind. And we’ll make it close.

Why dont we run and push ever in the first half?

And somehow none are small ball? Whyyyy not try it? Now Duke playing minutes. I will say at least he tries out there but can we please see a small ball lineup once this year? Or are we going to lose 8 out of our last 10 but cant risk even trying it?

He clearly doesn’t know how his players mesh offensively. I’ve been saying it for over a month. Since geo has returned to full time he’s mismanaged the roster and we’ve been much worse as he’s been playing more.

Even today the announcer said coach wants to use Mulcahy more to get geo off the ball. He doesn’t know his players on offense at all

This team may well be starting to choke with the pressure of the post season expectations.

At least it is not a 20 point lead by them pedofiles......how is this happening.......uggghhhh

giphy.gif

Three things you can do after you pass the ball - screen away, set a screen for the ball, cut to the basket. Do we ever do one or three, and if we do it's not very often.

SHOOT THE THREE damnit

They know they won't make it so they don't. 0-5 with 2 airballs. The hoop looks like a thimble to the whole team.

We need shooters. It's that simple. The only way this gets fixed is via recruiting. You don't develop shooters at this level. You already are one.

Agreed. Long offensive rebounds are our only source of offense ... because it's not like we have any chance of a 3 point shot actually going in.
I actually proposed that as a plan for the game against Wisky who doesn't like to run

We keep turning down open 3s to end up with trash inside.. we have drawn a few fouls that way.. but miss FTs and what we need are POINTS

Great half by RU! Pike experimenting with the lineup today will pay huge dividends in the tournament. Can't wait to see what we do in the second half!

Sadly the refrain that fans will hear is just wait until next year when the team will be more experienced with the same players that have difficulty scoring.I'm happy for the winning season because my preseason prediction was a 17-14 record which might be close to the final record.

he seems to do well when it doesn’t matter

he’s one guy I don’t mind at anytime and pike seems to pull the trigger fast on benching him. He plays his ass off and defends. He isn’t one I’m worried.

rhj looking like he’s gonna cry on the bench and geo being non factor as a junior are more of my worry.

He clearly doesn’t know how his players mesh offensively. I’ve been saying it for over a month. Since geo has returned to full time he’s mismanaged the roster and we’ve been much worse as he’s been playing more.

Even today the announcer said coach wants to use Mulcahy more to get geo off the ball. He doesn’t know his players on offense at all

It's all re-arranging deck chairs when you have zero shooters on the team.

Great half by RU! Pike experimenting with the lineup today will pay huge dividends in the tournament. Can't wait to see what we do in the second half!

Glad we already played Nebraska and NW. we won’t beat them right now.

How is it that every team we are playing lately is shooting lights out from 3????

wtf is going on? That is the complete difference in all these games. Oh and we can’t hit a single shot from 3

Another half with ZERO made 3 pointers is just insane at this point

It's all re-arranging deck chairs when you have zero shooters on the team.

Imagine being a coach in year four, not having recruited any shooters, and not bringing in any guard for year 5, and getting two contract extensions

Reactions: bac2therac
Three things you can do after you pass the ball - screen away, set a screen for the ball, cut to the basket. Do we ever do one or three, and if we do it's not very often.
well if you're Rutgers there's a fourth, stand around and look.

Another half with ZERO made 3 pointers is just insane at this point

It’s actually not a big deal because we don’t take that many 3s. When you don’t take any 3s by principle (dumb) and go 0-5 you’re only 4.5 pts under expected value. And when you limit your upside variance by keeping the attempts low.

Just dumb strategy

Sadly the refrain that fans will hear is just wait until next year when the team will be more experienced with the same players that have difficulty scoring.I'm happy for the winning season because my preseason prediction was a 17-14 record which might be close to the final record.

Im only one game behind right now on prediction
.had them at 17-11 not 18-10 and had them folding by losing these last 4 to finish 17-14..and my thoughts were the team could not handle the ncaa talk..unfortunately i think im going to be right

Said this before - the less talent you have the more disciplined your offense has to be. We're not that talented but the fact that we don't run anything makes our players look less talented than they really are.

Imagine being a coach in year four, not having recruited any shooters, and not bringing in any guard for year 5, and getting two contract extensions

He's the best coach we've had. But he has to fix this so obvious glaring issue.

There is only one way out of this. It isn't coaching. It is recruiting shooters. Kids that come here as known shooting commodities. I don't give af if they can play D. They can be taught that. You can't coach shooting at this point. They either have it or they don't by the time they get here.

So, do we have any known shooters coming?

Reactions: RUsojo
You think Myles is hurt, he has zero fouls and didn't play much. 4 points, 4 boards, 2 for 2 and barely played. Weird.

Only one I’m enjoying watching play is Jacob. How the ****ing tables have turned from earlier in the year.

These guys look completely "shook". They just look like they don't wanna be there. I've been quiet about it during our recent funk, but I'm starting to think this is what we're gonna get the rest of the way. I hate seeing our guys get punked like this. This is where coach has to figure out the mental part of this thing.

The offense is one thing, but what happened to our defense? This is an ongoing trend. We don’t fight through screens, don’t close out on three point shooters and don’t play aggressive. How did we lose that intensity?

Reactions: bac2therac
You think Myles is hurt, he has zero fouls and didn't play much. 4 points, 4 boards, 2 for 2 and barely played. Weird.

His ego looks hurt. If he is truly hurt, stop playing him and let him heal. He's doing jack out there as currently constituted.

Play Doucure.

Reactions: ScarletDave
At this point the hope for another win and a possible NCAA birth is basically looking like just cross your fingers and hope we play a team who has their worst shooting game of the year

Reactions: ScarletDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT