ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers vs. Miami in ACC/B1G Challenge

Hyatt is awful. For an upper class men, he’s just a turnover machine, missed layups, bricks all 2nd half. Lack of go to player is showing up now
He really should be in the MAAC to be honest. Nothing has changed since day 1.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Who is our go to guy? We dont have one. As of today it looks like Cam is a great Patriot League Player, but just an average role player against P5 comp. Hope he can step up his game, but he doesn't look like what we need him to be against athletic comp.

Reactions: gmay8
We win this game with Mulcahy.. no doubt about it.

However, just looking ahead - when we lose Paul, Cliff and Caleb next season, the talent & veteran leadership on this team pretty much all disappears. We'll need to hit the portal for very specific and capable transfer if we don't want to finish at the bottom of the league.

That said, I still think we finish in the top 6 in the big 10 if we get healthy this year.

The season is gonna be over fast if they don’t figure it out soon.
This is pathetic
People said the same thing when we started last year with 2 horrible losses.

It took time for that team to gel and that was a team led by a core of battle-tested veteran leaders.

This team is really talented. Just let them learn to play together.

Yeah just like last year. 🥸
They figured it out last year. And it started right around ACC/B1G tournament time with a win over Clemson.
We have Indiana, OSU, SHU, and Wake.
Gotta get two

Caleb and Cliff were decent. The rest weren’t just absolutely horrendous. Stats are not pretty. 4-13, 4-12, 1-10. 15 turnovers. That stint with the bench around 10 minutes left really killed us.

Very winnable game - we lost it
This exactly.

I watch that game and it screams we beat ourselves. How did we miss that many shots? Many of them were really good looks.

Cam against better competition is going to be interesting to watch. I have to just think he was off tonight, but that was an awful performance.

The turnovers are the most frustrating part to me. 5 for Caleb and 3 from Hyatt. It seems Hyatt turns it over 50% of the time where he takes more than 3 dribbles.

In reality, cam is a 4th or 5th option on a very good team. We're asking him to play over his capability. I really like him as a player, but we ain't gonna like the results if we need to lean heavily on him.

Reactions: ScarletDave
People said the same thing when we started last year with 2 horrible losses.

It took time for that team to gel and that was a team led by a core of battle-tested veteran leaders.

This team is really talented. Just let them learn to play together.
We also had some miracle wins. You can’t count on that every year.
Can we just start one season without immediately digging a hole to get out of

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
This loss, this pathetic loss is on Pikell’s stupid substitution when we were up 11 and Mag and Hyatt’s in ability to score their chip pies around the basket. You’re 6’8”, DUNK the effin ball!!!

I am so pissed off we let this game get away from us. This was an effin win. Period.

Reactions: tm_nj
Many times over the last few years has Pike with asinine substitutions cost us leads. It happened again tonight.

Reactions: Scangg
This loss, this pathetic loss is on Pikell’s stupid substitution when we were up 11 and Mag and Hyatt’s in ability to score their chip pies around the basket. You’re 6’8”, DUNK the effin ball!!!

I am so pissed off we let this game get away from us. This was an effin win. Period.
Exactly this. Pike was more worried about participation trophies tonight. If you're up 11 you don't voluntarily kill momentum.

Cam’s worst game.
No PM.
Hyatt’s worst half.
Heavy minutes for a young Simpson.
No Geo or Harper to bail us out.

All that and we were “right there” against an Elite 8 team.

no one is going to feel sorry for RU playing without Paul especially if it goes more games, you either adapt and survive or fall by the wayside. Unfortunately I think without Paul this team is simply not good enough
Did anyone suggest you should feel sorry for RU?

Wasn't great against Temple either.

Also, people were crowning him better than RHJ after 3 games against the dregs.
It goes both ways.
It does go both ways

Agree.

At this point both are ridiculous

Anyone thinking he could be the main scorer like RHJ are insane. He doesn’t have the athleticism to create shots like RHJ.

But saying he is incapable of playing at the high major level is equally stupid. Certainly at this point

Imho he certainly can contribute at this level the real question is whether he will be used appropriately (eg expecting to be anything better than a 3rd option kinda guy on offense).

Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of great offensive players so Pike may need to rely upon him more than he is capable of providing (eg being more than a 3rd option kinda guy) and if that happens IMHO that won’t be a sign of cams inability to contribute but more an of indictment about RUs lack of offensive weapons

Last edited:
Losing at Miami is not a bad loss. It’s a shame they choked down the stretch but it’s a learning experience. Miami is a good team and we were on the road.
But they choked. They had this win and allowed it to slip away.

The turnovers are the most frustrating part to me. 5 for Caleb and 3 from Hyatt. It seems Hyatt turns it over 50% of the time where he takes more than 3 dribbles.

In reality, cam is a 4th or 5th option on a very good team. We're asking him to play over his capability. I really like him as a player, but we ain't gonna like the results if we need to lean heavily on him.
Re Cam: Let's see how this ages by March.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Cam’s worst game.
No PM.
Hyatt’s worst half.
Heavy minutes for a young Simpson.
No Geo or Harper to bail us out.

All that and we were “right there” against an Elite 8 team.
No excuses. We're up 11 and the coach benches all the starters. LMAO. Who in their right mind would ever do that?

We also had some miracle wins. You can’t count on that every year.
Can we just start one season without immediately digging a hole to get out of
Love it when when fans discredit last minute wins yet last minute losses and the sky is falling. End of the day you gotta play decent to be in it at last minute. You win some you loose some. Loose more early with lots of new pieces.

12 wins in 42 games away from the RAC since the start of the ‘19-20 campaign. That’s across 3+ NCAA tournament seasons. Piss poor.

Reactions: RU MAN
No excuses. We're up 11 and the coach benches all the starters. LMAO. Who in their right mind would ever do that?
We did it last year too. Is weird. At least we went to zone early today when they hit the first few.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT