ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers vs. Miami in ACC/B1G Challenge

Who is our go to guy? We dont have one. As of today it looks like Cam is a great Patriot League Player, but just an average role player against P5 comp. Hope he can step up his game, but he doesn't look like what we need him to be against athletic comp.
Just looking at stats, Cam was a good Patriot League player, not a great one.

Expecting him to be anything more then a solid B1G player was expecting a lot.

But this has been a sum of it's parts team for 4 years now, so a solid season from Cam is fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm_nj
How exactly are we in a hole?
Losing to Temple and Miami and we’ve beat no one with a pulse.
PM is injured and we’re heading into back to back games against Indiana and OSU. That’s not good

Paul better drag his ass onto the Court this Saturday against Indiana whether he has the use of two arms or not.

That happens to pretty
much every team every year
I realize that. But we controlled the second half until Pike chose to substitute our starters up 11. Of course it would help if Mag and Hyatt would finish around the damn basket.

It does go both ways

Agree.

At this point both are ridiculous
Anyone thinking he could be the main scorer like RHJ are insane. He doesn’t have the athleticism to create shots like RHJ.

But saying he is incapable of playing at the high major level is equally stupid. Certainly at this point

Imho he certainly can contribute at this level the real question is whether he will be used appropriately (eg expecting to be anything better than a 3rd option kinda guy on offense).

Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of great offensive players so Pike may rely upon more than he is capable of providing (eg being more than a 3rd option kinda guy) and if that happens IMHO that won’t be a sign of cams inability to contribute but more and indictment about RUs lack of offensive weapons

He had the same deer in the headlight look that he had vs Temple. Not confident. He needs to have a scorers mentality.

and if you realizeed that paul was out and it was only caleb's second game you knew this game was a difficult win---some guys just can't face reality--hope we do better going forward but its a crap shoot

Reactions: socaldave
This team is void of true "athletes". Love Pike, but losses like this will not help recruiting.

No excuses. We're up 11 and the coach benches all the starters. LMAO. Who in their right mind would ever do that?
A good argument can be made that the substitutions you point out cost us this game. It’s on Pike.

Its so many guys on this team that can't play. Like u gotta legit; hold your breath when their on the floor.

It seems like some fans expect guys to play 40 minutes.
No. When I played and coached I never took out all of the starters. I mixed and matched. You still need scorers in there and Pike didn’t call a TO until Miami cut our lead down to 3. Inexcusable.

Went 12-8 and finished 4th in B1G and got play in game.
This look like a 12-8 team ?
losing to Temple and Miami is gonna matter if its close.
We didn’t last year after 7 games last year. Same bad substitutions, same going ice cold, same missed layups. Your point? Last year we were 3-4 with losses to umass, DePaul, and Lafayette. .

Went 12-8 and finished 4th in B1G and got play in game.
This look like a 12-8 team ?
losing to Temple and Miami is gonna matter if its close.
Getting the play-in game was solely due to the horrible losses to non-conference opponents including Lafayette at home… not comparable to losses to Temple and Miami.

I turned off the game up 9 or so with 15mins left and told my wife I couldn't bare to watch the ending. So what's the score. Sounds like I called it.
If you can’t bear to watch the end of a game against Miami in November how do you even watch sports at all?

Reactions: mugrat86
Cam would look better if he isn’t the primary ball carrier.

That way he can run off screens and get shots off.

He’ll be far more effective when Paul gets back in the lineup and can bring the ball up.

With Paul out cam is being asked to do too much. Running point is NOT why he is here - we all know that

You’re 100% right - Running off screens to get good looks . THAT should be the vast majority of his offensive game .

Let’s hope we get Paul back and the offense can get running like it should… see if they can get cam in the position to do what he is good at - runnihg off screens to get looks

After that let’s talk about whether cam is “overwhelmed” a “deer in the headlights”

At this point - it’s still wayyyy to early and he is being asked to do stuff that’s not what hes here to do.

No. When I played and coached I never took out all of the starters. I mixed and matched. You still need scorers in there and Pike didn’t call a TO until Miami cut our lead down to 3. Inexcusable.
I didn’t see where we had no starters out there. We don’t have a lot of scorers. Their starters made shots down the stretch. Ours didn’t.

This team is void of true "athletes". Love Pike, but losses like this will not help recruiting.
Which was also true in previous seasons. Baker was a decent athlete. RHJ not so much.

Mulcahy would have been a big help and he is not a big time athlete.

We have a lot of new faces getting heavy minutes to go along with our best playmaker being out.

This was a respectable effort. You win some, you lose some.

Miami isn’t some scrub team. Some credit should go to them.
So true. I think try win easily with Paul. Caleb with an incredible game especially considering it’s second game back

With Paul out cal is being asked to do too much. Running point is NOT why he is here - we all know that

You’re 100% right - Running off screens to get good looks . THAT should be the vast majority of his offensive game .

Let’s hope we get Paul back and the offense can get running like it should… see if they can get cam in the position to do what he is good at - runnihg off screens to get looks

After that let’s talk about whether cam is “overwhelmed” a “deer in the headlights”

At this point - it’s still wayyyy to early and he is being asked to do stuff that’s not what hes here to do.
Cam is stepping up in competition. He will settle in.

I didn’t see where we had no starters out there. We don’t have a lot of scorers. Their starters made shots down the stretch. Ours didn’t.
Pike substituted everyone except Cliff ifirc. He put too much trust in the freshmen and they didn’t acquit themselves.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
But he pump faked and drove to the hoop like he knew what he was doing, then it went screwy.
He needs to finish that with a dunk and not try to spin it in there. There was no reason for that.

Which was also true in previous seasons. Baker was a decent athlete. RHJ not so much.

Cliff, Simpson and Caleb are pretty decent athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT