Jan 15, 2003
BEast and Pac-12 night

Big Ten

None

Other RU opponents

None

Other ranked teams

Arizona State 72 #2 Oregon 66 – pretty big upset
#3 Oregon State 53 #18 Arizona 50 7:27 4th – Beavers have led most of the way, but still close
#5 Stanford 66 California 27 5:56 4th – pretty sure how this one will come out
#8 UCLA 84 Utah 54 – about what you’d expect
#15 DePaul 85 Seton Hall 68 – Blue Demons now 4-0 in BEast
#20 Missouri State 69 Drake 67 – Bears scored last 8 points to come from behind for win

Also

Butler 58 Villanova 41 – maybe a bit of a surprise
Marquette 94 St. John’s 85 – close until the 4th
Colorado 66 Southern California 53 – 27-12 3rd quarter was the difference
Bradley 76 Illinois State 61 – I-74 rivalry won by Peoria this time

B1G

Today: 0-0
Year to date: 122-33

Other RU opponents

Today: 0-0
Year to date: 77-70

There have been no palindromic scores in 17 games completed so far today. There have been 23 palindromic scores in 2,575 games so far this season. It’s been six sad days since the last palindromic score.

Oregon State held on to win that game 63-61 over the U of A here in Tucson.

Oregon losing up the road a bit at ASU keeps them from becoming the new #1 next week after UConn's big loss the other night.

Without looking it up but knowing how the Pac12 schedules things, I'm assuming that the two visiting Oregon teams will switch cities with Oregon taking on the U of A here on Sunday. That will be a huge home game for the AZ women.

Updates:

#3 Oregon State 63 #18 Arizona 61 - Pivec hit the game winner with 1.4 seconds left
#5 Stanford 73 California 40 - Tara V became first coach to win 500 in a single conference

Updates:

#3 Oregon State 63 #18 Arizona 61 - Pivec hit the game winner with 1.4 seconds left
#5 Stanford 73 California 40 - Tara V became first coach to win 500 in a single conference

Is that just in the Pac 12? Or are you referring to having conference wins? Haven't Pat Summit and Geno Auriemma won most, if not all, of their 1000+ victories at Tennessee and UConn respectively? And hasn't CVS won over half of her 1000+ victories at RU? Of course, we've been in 3 different conferences since she arrived on the Banks.

Thanks.

Is that just in the Pac 12? Or are you referring to having conference wins? Haven't Pat Summit and Geno Auriemma won most, if not all, of their 1000+ victories at Tennessee and UConn respectively? And hasn't CVS won over half of her 1000+ victories at RU? Of course, we've been in 3 different conferences since she arrived on the Banks.

Thanks.

So, it's a funny statistic - it's 500 wins conference wins in a single conference. Geno has been a head coach in the BEast and the AAC; he has more than 100 regular season AAC wins, and probably a total of more than 120, including conference tourney games. He has another 120 in NCAA tournament games. That accounts for a bit less than 1/4 of his total wins. In the regular season, UConn has played an average of at least 12 games a year in OOC, and over 35 years that's a total of 420 games; figure they've won at least 3/4 of them (which is an underestimate) and that comes to 315. 120+120+315=555, which would put him right around 500 wins in the BEast. Since some of these numbers are conservative (notably OOC wins), he's probably somewhat short, and obviously not increasing the number at all right now.

Summit had 175 wins before the SEC started playing, and the SEC didn't play anything like a full schedule until 1991 (and started playing 14 games only in 1996-7). She also had 112 NCAA wins. In the early years, Tennessee played a lot more OOC games than in-conference games, too, which was much different than today. So I think it's entirely possible she didn't get 500 conference wins.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
Thanks. That clarifies the situation. I didn't realize that it took so long for SEC schools to actually start playing one another. They did that in football for quite awhile, playing just 5 or 6 conference games and several cupcakes among the rest so they could go to bowl games. They were probably the last of 10 or more team conferences to require playing 8 conference games.

Oregon State held on to win that game 63-61 over the U of A here in Tucson.

Oregon losing up the road a bit at ASU keeps them from becoming the new #1 next week after UConn's big loss the other night.

Without looking it up but knowing how the Pac12 schedules things, I'm assuming that the two visiting Oregon teams will switch cities with Oregon taking on the U of A here on Sunday. That will be a huge home game for the AZ women.
Grrr. On several fronts -
We were supposed to be away this weekend so we gave our on-the-floor season tickets for both games away (to different couples). Flu at the destination delayed the trip.

PLUS

I don't really think losing was a "bad" performance against Oregon State - who will continue to be highly ranked and maybe even #1 if they beat the Normal School Sunday. But we need to win one of these games and this was a much better opportunity than it will be in Corvallis

PLUS

I really, really don't think it is great that Oregon is coming off a loss. On the other hand, I don't think we (Arizona) are a good match-up against them. Oregon State was probably more vulnerable (to AZ).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT