ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin has a Nebraska visit

Who knows
His departure was certainly bizarre

Loved him some Pike and the program initially
Then he struggled mightily this year, even in extended minutes the 2nd half of the season

East coast kid with no connections to Nebby, yet that's rumored to be a possible landing spot
Lots of stupid money out there.

In this day and age, if you have a chance to get the bag, take the bag

Just understand it's a business, and if you come back as a visitor, expect to get treated as such, albeit with a bit more vitriol
This^^^^^.

And...I'm not so sure this kid is so "soft". He seemed to have no trouble in quickly taking a pretty tough-guy, "business" stance in bolting from RU. Agree...he can/should expect "an it's not personal, it's just business " response if he decides to visit here again sometime in the future.😁. Go RU!

Who knows
His departure was certainly bizarre

Loved him some Pike and the program initially
Then he struggled mightily this year, even in extended minutes the 2nd half of the season

East coast kid with no connections to Nebby, yet that's rumored to be a possible landing spot

You say “who knows”, yet somehow it seems “known” that he’s not seeking out more playing time as reported on podcasts and instead seeks a bag.

Nebraska lost their star guard by the way. They have one returning guard and next in line is the coach’s son who isn’t very good. Seems like a place that will have an easier path to playing time of Gavin and less focused on D.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
You say “who knows”, yet somehow it seems “known” that he’s not seeking out more playing time as reported on podcasts and instead seeks a bag.

Nebraska lost their star guard by the way. They have one returning guard and next in line is the coach’s son who isn’t very good. Seems like a place that will have an easier path to playing time of Gavin and less focused on D.
Gun to my head, I assume he's getting a bag for the reasons I previously mentioned
That's the way the game is played now - either pay up, or get left behind

It’s all for playing time. Gavin has a shot at the NBA, but he needs to be on the court. It’s disappointing, but understandable.

Players who received the RAC treatment:

Troy Murphy
John Celestand
Todd Billet
Mike Rosario

Please add to the list with any others.
Not as bad as the guys on your list but Tim Thomas and Shaheen Halloway had appearances at the RAC after breaking RU fan's hearts. I could be wrong but I don't think Dahntay Jones or Lance Thomas ever played against RU at the RAC. I think we did play against Dahntay but it was either neutral site or at Duke.

Rosario wilted big time under the RAC rage.

Why? If the haters are right that GG is soft and not very good, he will hardly see the court.

If this, on the other hand, was a case of coaching malpractice, and he stars for Nebraska, why shouldn't he have bolted?

Do you boo friends who were in a bad marriage and leave? They made "vows," too.
Well, that depends on what she looks like 😉

Why? If the haters are right that GG is soft and not very good, he will hardly see the court.

If this, on the other hand, was a case of coaching malpractice, and he stars for Nebraska, why shouldn't he have bolted?

Do you boo friends who were in a bad marriage and leave? They made "vows," too.

GG was soft this season, does not mean he will always be soft with age/maturity. But one thing I can guarantee....it he sucks it up, you'll crawl back under your rock on this issue.....and if he progresses, you'll be back looking for high fives in your anti-Pike trolling campaign.

PS......The marriage analogy doesn't even make sense. If your wife leaves for someone else's money, are you blaming it on your own mal-practice?

FYI...not even sure what coaching malpractice is. Its like the new bash pike term here. Do guys like Gavin not have any accountability to produce at even a mediocre level in their 18mpg?

GG was soft this season, does not mean he will always be soft with age/maturity. But one thing I can guarantee....it he sucks it up, you'll crawl back under your rock on this issue.....and if he progresses, you'll be back looking for high fives in your anti-Pike trolling campaign.

PS......The marriage analogy doesn't even make sense. If your wife leaves for someone else's money, are you blaming it on your own mal-practice?

FYI...not even sure what coaching malpractice is. Its like the new bash pike term here. Do guys like Gavin not have any accountability to produce at even a mediocre level in their 18mpg?
You can respond without name-calling. It's not a hard skill to master.

To be clear, I am not anti-Pike. I don't want him to leave RU.

I do think he handled GG badly. Even the best of us make mistakes.

He allowed selfish guards not to get other players into rhythm by kicking out when they charged into traffic.

You may say they cut GG out because he can't shoot.

I say we will find out next year.

He allowed selfish guards not to get other players into rhythm by kicking out when they charged into traffic.

He could shoot 150% next year and it wouldn’t change the fact that he shot terribly this year.

I would modify to say others became hesitant to pass to a player who wasn’t shooting well at the time over a considerable period.

The data tells that story in the correlation of shots attempted and made with his playing time. After going 1-13 vs Stonehill and OSU, how can one not understand potential hesitancy? He was then 2-17 in the next 4 games. That’s a continuous stretch of 6 games where he went 3-30 from the floor. That’s just awful and reflected in the reduction of minutes. I don’t understand how anyone thinks the offense should’ve been running through him at that point.

He could shoot 150% next year and it wouldn’t change the fact that he shot terribly this year.
Agreed. I am very confident he will shoot better next year and would should better at ru or elsewhere. I also believe our increase in talent level and in particular Harper will elevate everyone around. I think gg would have blossomed here and I think he will do well elsewhere assuming he gets into a spot with players around him that can pressure a defense. We didn’t have that this year but I think the biggest issue for gg was maturity and the increased speed and athleticism he had to adjust to. I think he did mature and adjust late. I wish he stuck it out.

Agreed. I am very confident he will shoot better next year and would should better at ru or elsewhere. I also believe our increase in talent level and in particular Harper will elevate everyone around. I think gg would have blossomed here and I think he will do well elsewhere assuming he gets into a spot with players around him that can pressure a defense. We didn’t have that this year but I think the biggest issue for gg was maturity and the increased speed and athleticism he had to adjust to. I think he did mature and adjust late. I wish he stuck it out.
He HAS to shoot better or there is no way he’ll remain on a P5 roster the following year let alone be an NBA prospect. I’m not sure how much time he’d get at any D1 school shooting anything close to 32% from the floor again. He’s not a +defender or ball handling guard. Shooting is the asset he’s supposed to bring. Period.

Reactions: Kbee3

GG also was a very selfish player. Sharing the ball is contagious. Not sharing is contagious. More than anyone else on the team GG jacked up shots whenever from wherever, as soon as he got the ball. GG often drove into a crowd with bad results and had Noah set up at the line (our one OK percentage shooter) and didn't kick to him. You could see Noah's frustration.

Please specify the exact name calling? Reading comprehension is also not a hard skill to master.

How did he mis-handle Gavin? What other guards did you want Pike to play?. Both of his planned starters left after the portal closed. You call it coaching malpractice but in reality it was lack of offensive skillset at guard. Simpson is not a PG, JMike needed development, Noah also was not fully suited as lead guard and liability on D and JWill was suspended for half the year.

He HAS to shoot better or there is no way he’ll remain on a P5 roster the following year let alone be an NBA prospect. I’m not sure how much time he’d get at any D1 school shooting anything close to 32% from the floor again. He’s not a +defender or ball handling guard. Shooting is the asset he’s supposed to bring. Period.
He will imo.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I would modify to say others became hesitant to pass to a player who wasn’t shooting well at the time over a considerable period.

The data tells that story in the correlation of shots attempted and made with his playing time. After going 1-13 vs Stonehill and OSU, how can one not understand potential hesitancy? He was then 2-17 in the next 4 games. That’s a continuous stretch of 6 games where he went 3-30 from the floor. That’s just awful and reflected in the reduction of minutes. I don’t understand how anyone thinks the offense should’ve been running through him at that point.

Not shooting well and was chucking up logo 3s.

Maybe. We don't know that inside story.
Unless you believe the logo 3s were a good idea, I’m not sure how that’s not on Pike.

Either Pike allowed or encouraged them, which is obviously on Pike, or he didn’t allow them, Gavin shot them anyway, and Gavin continued to ignore him and play anyway…also on Pike.

Reactions: winfield102
He will imo.

Just curious - what do you define as “much better”? A 20% improvement in his overall shooting percentage would be statistically meaningful. That would bump him up to this year’s team’s blended shooting average.

Unless you believe the logo 3s were a good idea, I’m not sure how that’s not on Pike.

Either Pike allowed or encouraged them, which is obviously on Pike, or he didn’t allow them, Gavin shot them anyway, and Gavin continued to ignore him and play anyway…also on Pike.
And GG rode the bench for a long time. And when the season was lost Pike decided to give him more run to prepare for next year. But the coach doesn’t control players like a video game. One of GGs issues was that the BIG game was way to fast for him. And his decision making very much reflected a dude that was struggling to adapt to the speed of high major ball. He did improve in the last 6-7 games. Is that not “on” Pike too?

I honestly don’t understand why people are so confident that they know better than the coaching staff and are so hyper critical and assume the worst on every conceivable detail.

Last edited:
It wasn’t just the shooting. He constantly got the ball stolen from him I think due to his lack of strength

The entire season was a big disappointment.There was very little evidence of player development as seen with the abysmal offensive stats.Long scoring droughts became the norm.Fans watched in dismay as players shot bricks .Griffiths was a convenient scapegoat because he was considered a high ranking recruit who failed to perform up to expectations.In the end the roster was full of poor shooters and the coaching staff has to take some responsibility for poor recruiting and the lack of player development.

Next season fans will watch two elite basketball players who will generate high excitement and hopefully huge team success.The coaching staff will have a rare opportunity to have a season to remember along with the path for sustained success.Its all about recruiting star players under a NIL environment.

Just curious - what do you define as “much better”? A 20% improvement in his overall shooting percentage would be statistically meaningful. That would bump him up to this year’s team’s blended shooting average.
+30 from 3. Plus 375 overall. Plus67.5 ft

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT