ADVERTISEMENT

Big Man

More brilliance from you. What the hell kind of sense does that make ? Pure dumbass regurgitated Matt Millen blather. What if the ‘other quality teams’ bring a B+ game ? Or their A. Do we win ? I’ll tell you what: who the heck knows.

Simply a dumb, simplistic analysis. You ignore the opponent’s game.

1-x=y. Solve for x
This is C troll game. The trolling is too obvious. Not going to beat any good trolls this way.

If Martini starts, and is the only outside shooter, that makes him the 3. There needs to be at least 1 3pt shooter in the starting lineup.

then for spacing reasons, this means Ace mostly runs the baseline back and forth like was GG’s fate. Maybe DH and JWill can find him, or maybe he gets lost and misused. And despite GG’s shortcomings he’s still a better shooter than Ace.
Just admit you don’t know what you are talking about. Martini is not the 3 because he can shoot from outside. Of course, any real RU fan would know this because RHJ played the 4 and knocked down plenty of 3s.

Care to troll fail harder?

Just admit you don’t know what you are talking about. Martini is not the 3 because he can shoot from outside. Of course, any real RU fan would know this because RHJ played the 4 and knocked down plenty of 3s.

Care to troll fail harder?

If we had a poll of who’s the biggest troll, who would win? I know who would make my top 2 (both ignored)

If we had a poll of who’s the biggest troll, who would win? I know who would make my top 2 (both ignored)
What kind of personality disorder just provokes this much negative feedback, revels in it, and comes back for more every day?

In edit, for yuks I asked ChatGPT:

Internet message board trolls are individuals who often engage in disruptive behavior online, primarily characterized by their tendency to provoke or upset others. Key aspects of their typical personality profile might include:

1. **Attention-Seeking**: Trolls often crave attention and will post inflammatory comments to get reactions from others. Their behavior is driven by a desire to be noticed and to feel influential.

2. **Anonymity Exploitation**: The anonymity of the internet allows trolls to behave in ways they might avoid in face-to-face interactions. This can include being more aggressive, deceitful, or controversial.

3. **Lack of Empathy**: Trolls may show a reduced capacity for empathy, not considering the emotional impact of their actions on others. This allows them to disregard the feelings of those they provoke.

4. **Enjoyment of Disruption**: Some trolls genuinely enjoy causing chaos and watching the reactions unfold. This can be motivated by a sense of amusement or a desire to disrupt normal discussions.

5. **High Sensation-Seeking**: They are often driven by a need for excitement and new experiences, which can lead to engaging in more provocative or risky online behavior.

6. **Dark Triad Traits**: Research has linked trolling behavior with the "Dark Triad" personality traits, which include Machiavellianism (manipulation and exploitation of others), narcissism (excessive self-love and selfishness), and psychopathy (lack of remorse and empathy).

These traits combine to create a profile of someone who is manipulative, seeks attention and conflict, and often disregards social norms and the emotional well-being of others.

Last edited:
I agree with Shelby.

To me, Ace is just a poor man's Gavin Griffiths and will no doubt be misused by Pike. Pike only knows defense. He doesn't know how to use guys like Ace, Dylan and Acuff.

And forget Martini as a 4 ... heck, forget 3. I see him as the 2 since he can't do a darn thing other than stand perfectly still and shoot 3's.

In summary, we're doomed if we don't get a 7-foot center who can rebound, play defense AND shoot 3's. Plus, Pike needs to be fired. Any chance we could lore Pitino away from St. Johns?

By the way, anyone know the name of the dude hitting these 3's? We could definitely use him.

200w.gif

I agree with Shelby.

To me, Ace is just a poor man's Gavin Griffiths and will no doubt be misused by Pike. Pike only knows defense. He doesn't know how to use guys like Ace, Dylan and Acuff.

And forget Martini as a 4 ... heck, forget 3. I see him as the 2 since he can't do a darn thing other than stand perfectly still and shoot 3's.

In summary, we're doomed if we don't get a 7-foot center who can rebound, play defense AND shoot 3's. Plus, Pike needs to be fired. Any chance we could lore Pitino away from St. Johns?

By the way, anyone know the name of the dude hitting these 3's? We could definitely use him.

200w.gif
The main difference I see between Ace and Gavin - other than Ace is bigger, faster, stronger, a better rebounder, passer, dribbler, shot blocker, and defender, with more athletic ability - is that he has a purer stroke from 3 than Gavin.

The main difference I see between Ace and Gavin - other than Ace is bigger, faster, stronger, a better rebounder, passer, dribbler, shot blocker, and defender, with more athletic ability - is that he has a purer stroke from 3 than Gavin.
We don’t know any of those things except for perhaps Ace being more athletic. They have similar basketball talents. Hopefully Ace will be much more productive.

The fact remains that Martini will not be an effective inside scorer. His only fit is as a perimeter shooter, especially if he’s a starter, if Ace plays interior offense like Mag once did.

Now, I understand Ace is a much more talented scorer than Mag. But the alternative is a 4-Out offense which would only work with a stud 5, who we won’t have.

Either that, or Martini can’t be a starter. Acuff could be the starter instead because he can score off the dribble, which Martini can’t.

Martini can’t be a 4 if he has no inside game.

Last edited:
We don’t know any of those things except for perhaps Ace being more athletic. They have similar basketball talents. Hopefully Ace will be much more productive.

The fact remains that Martini will not be an effective inside scorer. His only fit is as a perimeter shooter, especially if he’s a starter, if Ace plays interior offense like Mag once did.

Now, I understand Ace is a much more talented scorer than Mag. But the alternative is a 4-Out offense which would only work with a stud 5, who we won’t have.

Either that, or Martini can’t be a starter. Acuff could be the starter instead because he can score off the dribble, which Martini can’t.

When plays break down, a big part of our offense this coming season will be based on how tough Dylan will be to defend in a man to man defense. Assuming he can beat his man he can drive and either shoot or dish. His abilities should create a lot of open looks for shooters. Martini as a 4 or 5 is one of the best 3 point shooters we have had and if the defense tries to keep the center back to block shots it should be noted that a big part of Lathsm Somerville’s game is shooting 3s. Pikiel will have a lot of weapons on offense and I look forward to seeing how he uses them.

I agree with Shelby.

200w.gif
I love that Shelby liked this post even though it is mocking him for being clueless.

When plays break down, a big part of our offense this coming season will be based on how tough Dylan will be to defend in a man to man defense. Assuming he can beat his man he can drive and either shoot or dish. His abilities should create a lot of open looks for shooters. Martini as a 4 or 5 is one of the best 3 point shooters we have had and if the defense tries to keep the center back to block shots it should be noted that a big part of Lathsm Somerville’s game is shooting 3s. Pikiel will have a lot of weapons on offense and I look forward to seeing how he uses them.
In our offense, Martini is Oskar. Hopefully a better version. At Princeton he had precision offense and guards who distributed and got him open threes. Will he have that here ?

We did use Oskar as sort of a 4 on D simply because he is tall and not as easily pushed around as Wolf and GG. But he was a perimeter player on the other end, as he should have been. He offered nothing more than three point shots. That’s what Martini will be as well.

We can’t have four perimeter players and a low rent 5.

This is SO not true .. smh.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
It will be interesting to see if we get the guards running a high pick with Lathan and then him doing as much pick and pop vs. pick and role. That's what I'd have him practicing. Both Dylan and JWill have the ability to make a lot hay with that play if Lathan can finish his looks.

Reactions: Scarlet83
If Martini starts, and is the only outside shooter, that makes him the 3. There needs to be at least 1 3pt shooter in the starting lineup.

then for spacing reasons, this means Ace mostly runs the baseline back and forth like was GG’s fate. Maybe DH and JWill can find him, or maybe he gets lost and misused. And despite GG’s shortcomings he’s still a better shooter than Ace.
So you’re saying ace will shoot worse then GG this year?

There is no three guard lineup, Martini is the starting 4 and will be backed up by Grant from the sounds of it.

I’ve now come to the opinion Martini is slated to start. The roster just works so much better if that’s the case, and the way Pike glowed about Martini in his most recent interview makes me think he wants Martini to start at the 4.

JWill, Dylan, Ace, Martini, Center

That would be interesting and certainly help with surrounding Ace/Dylan with shooting that will make defenses hesitate to double team them.

B1G Ten rivals clearly are doing a very good job attracting portal transfers including at the center position.In contrast Rutgers sems to be more dependent on the five freshmen headed by Bailey and Harper.Hopefully, Rutgers can attract a center who can rebound and has a pulse on offense.

Reactions: darkcheck
Yup, B1G rivals are doing a good job of "attracting" portal talent. How the heck are they doing this?

Oh ... I see now. Yes, this is VERY attractive:

deliveryService

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
You clearly haven’t watched him play
did you watch GG tape in hs ? or Jaden Jones ? were they talented shooters in hs ?

Ace will not be a solid perimeter shooter in college. he'll run the baseline end to end like GG was forced to, allowing the guards room to drive and/or pick and roll with our 5 TBD, and also stay clear of Martini or Acuff to spot up for threes.

Ace will hopefully be much more effective driving to the basket than GG. That's where he will hopefully shine.

Last edited:
The last two roster spots are going to be hard to fill, what's the selling point for a big, he had to be willing to share minutes with Ogbole, and Lathan. Who knows how this will play out regarding minutes. Lathan needs to get reasonable minutes, if ogbole is to develop he needs 5-10. Unless Pike gets a top line center who is clearly going to get starter minutes the picture is confusing. An average big man Transfer doesn't bring much and doesn't provide much.
We have five guards now so what's minutes are available for guard #6, sure it would be nice to have a knock down three point shooter but where does he fit in and how many minutes are available?

Reactions: darkcheck
The last two roster spots are going to be hard to fill, what's the selling point for a big, he had to be willing to share minutes with Ogbole, and Lathan. Who knows how this will play out regarding minutes. Lathan needs to get reasonable minutes, if ogbole is to develop he needs 5-10. Unless Pike gets a top line center who is clearly going to get starter minutes the picture is confusing. An average big man Transfer doesn't bring much and doesn't provide much.
We have five guards now so what's minutes are available for guard #6, sure it would be nice to have a knock down three point shooter but where does he fit in and how many minutes are available?
We are not getting a top line center. We need a big man that is clearly better than Ogbole and will start until hopefully Sommerville takes it from him. That was clearly the top priority in the poryal season and now we have the 62nd ranked portal haul (13th in the B1G) and dropping. Even Seton Hall is higher. Still hoping Pike pulls a rabbit out of his hat somehow.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
We are not getting a top line center. We need a big man that is clearly better than Ogbole and will start until hopefully Sommerville takes it from him. That was clearly the top priority in the poryal season and now we have the 62nd ranked portal haul (13th in the B1G) and dropping. Still hoping Pike pulls a rabbit out of his hat somehow.
90% of the available centers/forwards are better than Ogbole. He's not the bar that you are recruiting a big for this team. You need someone who can play defense, rebound and score a little bit. Ogbole will play 5-10 mpg in OOC and then should be glued to the bench in conference play unless there's foul trouble or injury. Need to get like 8 & 6 over 20-25 mpg from whomever they bring in.

It's likely someone who is a wing or guard/wing for the final spot. There is a name out there that they are focused on getting to campus.

did you watch GG tape in hs ? or Jaden Jones ? were they talented shooters in hs ?

Ace will not be a solid perimeter shooter in college. he'll run the baseline end to end like GG was forced to, allowing the guards room to drive and/or pick and roll with our 5 TBD, and also stay clear of Martini or Acuff to spot up for threes.

Ace will hopefully be much more effective driving to the basket than GG. That's where he will hopefully shine.
Lolol You are really underestimating Ace…

90% of the available centers/forwards are better than Ogbole. He's not the bar that you are recruiting a big for this team. You need someone who can play defense, rebound and score a little bit. Ogbole will play 5-10 mpg in OOC and then should be glued to the bench in conference play unless there's foul trouble or injury. Need to get like 8 & 6 over 20-25 mpg from whomever they bring in.

It's likely someone who is a wing or guard/wing for the final spot. There is a name out there that they are focused on getting to campus.

I understand where you are coming from but I think it’s slightly better than where you think we are. It’s like we’re going into the season with Shaq Doorson and Shaq Carter. We don’t have an MJ yet. We need to find one - not MJ the kid who turned into an all BIG defender. 2018 MJ who backed up Eugene. We need to bring in a kid with those types of stats. We need 3 BIGs. 15 fouls to give per game to protect the rim.

Comparing Ace to GG. Hahahaha!
Ace's highlights show him missing a shot!
What a loser!

Oh yeah, he got the rebound and put it in.
Shelby is a joke and just writes stuff to irritate RU fans.

Comparing Ace to GG. Hahahaha!
Ace's highlights show him missing a shot!
What a loser!

Oh yeah, he got the rebound and put it in.
Shelby is a joke and just writes stuff to irritate RU fans.
Shelby is one of the very few here who doesn’t count chickens before they hatch. I’m comparing probably the most highly touted player before this year to an even higher rated recruit who has not played one second of college hoops.

He hopes Ace will be a dominant player and perimeter shooter. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. Shelby doesn’t believe outside shooting will be his strength. Time will tell.

Shelby is one of the very few here who doesn’t count chickens before they hatch. I’m comparing probably the most highly touted player before this year to an even higher rated recruit who has not played one second of college hoops.

He hopes Ace will be a dominant player and perimeter shooter. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. Shelby doesn’t believe outside shooting will be his strength. Time will tell.
GG was rated the 177th recruit. Ace is #2 (or #1).

I assume you're being intentionally obstinate, but you might want to pick a different argument as to why Rutgers will stink next year. Because right now, you're comparing apples to oranges.

P.S. Ace does EVERYTHING well. Rebound, pass, plays defense, scores inside and outside. That's how and why he's #2 ... duh.

EDIT: I see GG was actually 23rd (surprising enough) ... 177th as a transfer portal. Still think it's an orange vs apples comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoquat63

I assume you're being intentionally obstinate, but you might want to pick a different argument as to why Rutgers will stink next year. Because right now, you're comparing apples to oranges.

P.S. Ace does EVERYTHING well. Rebound, pass, plays defense, scores inside and outside. That's how and why he's #2 ... duh.
Ha ha dumbass. Idiocy for all to see.

He is 177 as a portal transfer. He was 23 as a high school recruit on Rivals
…. 5 star in some evals.

It’s a perfectly good comparison. Am not saying Ace won’t be good, but I am saying that hs abilities don’t guarantee the same in college.

Next time don’t hit send. Save yourself from embarrassment.

EDIT: I see GG was actually 23rd (surprising enough) ... 177th as a transfer portal. Still think it's an orange vs apples comparison.
yeah you see now because Shelby pointed out your colossal fail.

Ha ha dumbass. Idiocy for all to see.

He is 177 as a portal transfer. He was 23 as a high school recruit on Rivals
…. 5 star in some evals.

It’s a perfectly good comparison. Am not saying Ace won’t be good, but I am saying that hs abilities don’t guarantee the same in college.

Next time don’t hit send. Save yourself from embarrassment.

Gavin was actually ranked #42 in composite rankings of 4 services (On3, Rivals, ESPN, 247). https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/industry-comparison/basketball/2023/

Actually if you knew anything about ranking systems - you would also know that the ranking of a player at #42 (or even at #23) is not a "perfectly good comparison" (as you put it) to the ranking of a player at #2. There are never any universal guarantees of anything in terms of success - but percentage chance of failure is much smaller for a player who has a consensus top ranking and then down from there. As you move down 10, 20 even 40 spots - there becomes a significant gap and deviation in how the rating services have evaluated and predict the players will perform.

Gavin was actually ranked #42 in composite rankings of 4 services (On3, Rivals, ESPN, 247). https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/industry-comparison/basketball/2023/

Actually if you knew anything about ranking systems - you would also know that the ranking of a player at #42 (or even at #23) is not a "perfectly good comparison" (as you put it) to the ranking of a player at #2. There are never any universal guarantees of anything in terms of success - but percentage chance of failure is much smaller for a player who has a consensus top ranking and then down from there. As you move down 10, 20 even 40 spots - there becomes a significant gap and deviation in how the rating services have evaluated and predict the players will perform.
All true, but my point if you had been paying attention before chiming in was about perimeter shooting and that some hs skills don’t always persist. Would you agree that in terms of perimeter shooting, GG’s expected ability as a college freshman was similar to what Ace’s expected talent in that particular area will be, if not even better ?

Only shooting. I do expect Ace to be better taking it to the hoop and on D, but that’s not what the above is about. Never said GG will prove to be a better player or pro prospect.

All true, but my point if you had been paying attention before chiming in was about perimeter shooting and that some hs skills don’t always persist. Would you agree that in terms of perimeter shooting, GG’s expected ability as a college freshman was similar to what Ace’s expected talent in that particular area will be, if not even better ?

Only shooting. I do expect Ace to be better taking it to the hoop and on D, but that’s not what the above is about. Never said GG will prove to be a better player or pro prospect.

Griffiths was recruited as a Shot Maker "from 30 feet in" and athlete. Ace has been recruited almost universally based on his explosiveness and upside. What you are essentially doing is picking at the edges to cast negative doubt by making a comparison that doesn't even make sense. If you want a better comparison, here's what you are essentially looking at in terms of #2 vs. #42 over the past 5 years:

2019 - #2 Recruit was Anthony Edwards (#42 was Anton Watson)
2020 - #2 Recruit was Jalen Green (#42 was Mady Sissoko)
2021 - #2 Recruit was Paulo Banchero (#42 was Josh Minnot)
2022 - #2 Darriq Whitehead (#42 Terrance Arceneaux)
2023 - #2 Justin Edwards (#42 - Gavin Griffiths)

Reactions: PaKnight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT