ADVERTISEMENT

Big Man

Rutgers putting together one of the best rosters in the big ten. Anyone complaining is not paying attention. Everyone in the league has lost big time players to graduation or transfer. Add a big and shooter and this may well be the best roster in the big ten.
I completely agree. The posters that don’t see that are either trolls (we have some), don’t understand how a CBB roster is constructed in 2024, or just people that despite watching what a player can do but they can’t understand how that would translate to a specific role on this 2024 R roster. On second thought, maybe they are just looking at stats, and not watching how the player plays the game, which is a huge mistake on their part.

Pike said exactly what he was looking for, and he found it in Martini, Acuff and Derkack.

Last edited:
I completely agree. The posters that don’t see that are either trolls (we have some), don’t understand how a CBB roster is constructed in 2024, or just people that despite watching what a player can do but they can’t understand how that would translate to a specific role on this 2024 R roster. Maybe they are just looking at stats, and not watching how the player plays the game, which is a huge mistake on their part.

Pike said exactly what he was looking for, and he found it in Martini, Acuff and Derkack.

I think some people look at the portal rankings and stats and then try to extrapolate how good or bad we Pike is doing. It would be like basing how well your NFL team drafted and will perform as a team based solely on Mel Kiper's rankings.

Can somebody clarify for me…

The portal closed yesterday. Does that mean new players cannot enter the portal but any player in the portal is still free to move to a new school or does it mean “students” aren’t allowed to move until next semester?

Can somebody clarify for me…

The portal closed yesterday. Does that mean new players cannot enter the portal but any player in the portal is still free to move to a new school or does it mean “students” aren’t allowed to move until next semester?
No one else can enter the portal. It’s closed but everyone in the portal is free to transfer and play next year. The only deadline is school enrollment.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I completely agree. The posters that don’t see that are either trolls (we have some), don’t understand how a CBB roster is constructed in 2024, or just people that despite watching what a player can do but they can’t understand how that would translate to a specific role on this 2024 R roster. On second thought, maybe they are just looking at stats, and not watching how the player plays the game, which is a huge mistake on their part.

sort of....but think about the starting lineup as a poker hand. Pike has four cards but needs to draw another for the inside straight. The roster looks pretty good so far but there remains a critical missing piece, which the focus of this thread.

Reactions: RU677381
For the millionth time, we were looking for proven players that are scorers with toughness and leadership to complement the huge talent of the freshman class and players like Jeremiah that were already here for 2024-5.

Pike got exactly what he was are looking for. If you can’t see that, you don’t know how basketball teams work and your post isn’t based in reality.
What have any of these guys proven? Lol stop drinking the kool aid. We couldn’t afford the guys like really wanted or to get cliff to stay. Wake up dude.

How good they are, at the big ten level, remains to be seen
More than likely, one of these players won't be as good as we hope, maybe more than the one, and we certainly hope that does not happen

Reactions: Scarlet83
For the millionth time, we were looking for proven players that are scorers with toughness and leadership to complement the huge talent of the freshman class and players like Jeremiah that were already here for 2024-5.

Pike got exactly what he was are looking for. If you can’t see that, you don’t know how basketball teams work and your post isn’t based in reality.

If this is true, I would disagree (who am I??) with what we were looking for.

Dylan, JWill, Acuff, Derkack, Davis all appear (to me) to be the same type of player: on ball scorer who is best with the ball in their hand, and questionable at best off ball shooter/scorer (except Dylan because who knows).

To me that's not depth. It's redundancy.
Do we really need 3 guys to "run the offense" all on the floor at the same time?

The pursuit of Jones was encouraging as he appeared to have a different skillset: off ball shooter.

However, it appears minutes were a problem because he was grouped (wrongly, to me) into the same group as Harper, JWill, Acuff, Derkack and Davis.

His role should been separate from them.
Not every guard/wing is interchangeable and has the same role.
That's not how basketball teams work.
Both a transfer C and a transfer shooter shouldn't be impacted by JWill at all since none of them should have the same role.

Dylan, JWill, Acuff, Derkack, Davis all appear (to me) to be the same type of player: on ball scorer who is best with the ball in their hand, and questionable at best off ball shooter/scorer (except Dylan because who knows).

Do we really need 3 guys to "run the offense" all on the floor at the same time?

The pursuit of Jones was encouraging as he appeared to have a different skillset: off ball shooter.

However, it appears minutes were a problem because he was grouped (wrongly, to me) into the same group as Harper, JWill, Acuff, Derkack and Davis.

Both a transfer C and a transfer shooter shouldn't be impacted by JWill at all since none of them should have the same role.
Ace is an off ball shooter and Dylan has shown that he's a competent 3pt shooter. Reasonable chance Acuff will be as well once he is no longer the main focus. Martini of course is as well. Everyone agrees we still want one more. But in perspective, adding one more shooter and it's the deepest team we ever had and competition for minutes will be fierce.

forgot to even mention that Lathan is a sniper and we have no idea what Pike is expecting out of Dortch and Grant. Pike's not dumb.

Ace is an off ball shooter and Dylan has shown that he's a competent 3pt shooter. Reasonable chance Acuff will be as well once he is no longer the main focus. Martini of course is as well. Everyone agrees we still want one more. But in perspective, adding one more shooter and it's the deepest team we ever had and competition for minutes will be fierce.

forgot to even mention that Lathan is a sniper and we have no idea what Pike is expecting out of Dortch and Grant. Pike's not dumb.
JFC…Lathan is a sniper ? Nevermind that you surely expected GG to be a sniper, but at least he’s a perimeter player. Suggesting Lathan is a sniper is ridiculous, no better than Fieldhouse Al homerism fantasy. Douby, Lumpkin, Remley and now Sommerville. Brilliant.

Did you make Final Four hotel reservations yet ?

Last edited:

Having multiple competent ball handlers on the court at the same time is a problem? This is crazy talk especially at the end of games or if teams press or double Dylan or another guard.

Plus their games are not all that similar. Dylan and Acuff can shoot for all levels, JWill and Acuff are best at driving to the hoop and finishing against contact, and JMike is more a mid range shooter and distributor.

Having multiple competent ball handlers on the court at the same time is a problem? This is crazy talk especially at the end of games or if teams press or double Dylan or another guard.

Plus their games are not all that similar. Dylan and Acuff can shoot for all levels, JWill and Acuff are best at driving to the hoop and finishing against contact, and JMike is more a mid range shooter and distributor.

Look at this way.
There are 4 non Center spots.
Hopefully, one of Ace or Dylan are on the floor at all time.

Presumably one of these combos will always be on the floor
JWill/Dylan/Ace
JWill/Dylan
JWill/Ace
Dylan/Ace

I would say the most important addition to any of those lineups is an off-ball shooter. Someone the defense can't slack off or risk a ball rotation open shot.

Assuming Ace is competent dribbling then every lineup already has 2 ball handlers and scorers inside the 3pt lineup.

Acuff, Derkack and Davis are just adding more players into the paint, clogging the lane and not pulling defenders away from the hoop.

I'd rather massively increase outside shooting to the floor than marginally add ball handling.

Reactions: RUDivision

It should be noted, Acuffs best shooting seasons were when he was off ball more. I still think with Pike offenses guys that are just offball scorers aren’t very effective.
Look at this way.

JWill/Dylan/Ace
JWill/Dylan
JWill/Ace
Dylan/Ace

I would say the most important addition to any of those lineups is an off-ball shooter. Someone the defense can't slack off or risk a ball rotation open shot.

Assuming Ace is competent dribbling then every lineup already has 2 ball handlers and scorers inside the 3pt lineup.

Acuff, Derkack and Davis are just adding more players into the paint, clogging the lane and not pulling defenders away from the hoop.

I'd rather massively increase outside shooting to the floor than marginally add ball handling.
We added Marini btw, the definition of an off-ball shooter. Also Pikes offense, for better or for worse, has always been about guys making plays, not running it through someone then getting it to off ball guys, he operates best with guys who can do something themselves. Acuff had his best shooting days as an offball guy so he can do that even if he can handle the ball. Seems like we may add PJ Hayes who can shoot it too. I think we will be fine.

Reactions: NickRU714
He's listed as a forward but all video footage is of him playing as a 4/5 combo. He can play inside, pick and roll and shoot the 3 so max versatility, unlike what we had in Cliff.
People need to get beyond needing to force a player into a particular position box.

Look at this way.

JWill/Dylan/Ace
JWill/Dylan
JWill/Ace
Dylan/Ace

I guess defense doesn't matter to you?

Also, the stats you would be looking for on offense would be spot up shooting % open from the corner 3 etc. Overall 3% would be misleading. Not sure if anyone has these stats on the incoming transfers.

Look at this way.

JWill/Dylan/Ace
JWill/Dylan
JWill/Ace
Dylan/Ace

You never watched Acuff's highlights if you think he's not an off ball shooter. Also, what makes you think Dercack or JWill can't shoot off ball? They both played on teams with offenses that required the ball in their hands.

Where you really lost me though is complaining about guards driving to the hoop and "clogging" the lane. Are you serious? 🤣 🤣 🤣 If you're finishing at the rim constantly that requires off ball support on defense leaving someone open.

BTW you don't think Dylan is going to "clog" the lane? Or will it be okay because you're 🤩🤩🤩over his 5* status.

There are multiple outside shooters - Dylan, Acuff, Ace, Martini and maybe one or more of Sommerville, Grant, the transfer big and transfer guard/wing. Just the first four is already far more than RU has had in a long time on one roster.

Pike's putting together a good roster that allows him a bit of flexibility. He's going to be able to mix and match on offense and defense a lot better.

I appreciate what you are saying, but I believe you are making a lot of assumptions here.

The role a player HAD to fill with another team will be different than their role here. We will see it play out.

How good they are, at the big ten level, remains to be seen
More than likely, one of these players won't be as good as we hope, maybe more than the one, and we certainly hope that does not happen
While there is a step up in competition in the B1G, there is also a different role on this 24-25 R team that requires a lot less than their old teams ABSOLUTELY needed them to do. Especially Acuff and Derkack, who had the ball in their hands AND were expected to score because they were the best scorer on the team.

Also, in general I believe tough, team leaders tend to transition well up in the ranks.

Last edited:
I believe you are making a lot of assumptions here.
To be accurate, anybody and everybody making a prediction about the upcoming season is making a lot of assumptions. I have no idea how this upcoming season’s team will perform. And, like everyone else, I can only guess at how the new players will do.

We don’t yet know the complete makeup of the team. We don’t yet know how the freshmen will do against talented college juniors and seniors. We don’t yet know if the team will have good chemistry.

We won’t really know much of anything until we play some games against good competition.

Look at this way.

JWill/Dylan/Ace
JWill/Dylan
JWill/Ace
Dylan/Ace

To be accurate, anybody and everybody making a prediction about the upcoming season is making a lot of assumptions. I have no idea how this upcoming season’s team will perform. And, like everyone else, I can only guess at how the new players will do.

We don’t yet know the complete makeup of the team. We don’t yet know how the freshmen will do against talented college juniors and seniors. We don’t yet know if the team will have good chemistry.

We won’t really know much of anything until we play some games against good competition.
And that goes for Ace and DH too. It will be a difficult transition. Of the starters, none will have played together in a college game and the portal guys we got so far aren’t ranked notably in that pool of recruits.

Last edited:
And that goes for Ace and DH too. It will be a difficult transition. Of the starters, none will have played together in a college game and the portal guys we got so far aren’t ranked notably in that pool of recruits.
The entire team will be on campus as of mid-June, so earlier. They have plenty of time to adjust to individual play styles and come together as a team.

As for transitions, Top 10 guys typically don't have a "difficult" transition. But we know you're a troll and have your narratives you push non-stop in both football and basketball.

To be clear, I’m not being negative. I don’t think the team will do badly. Just saying that it’s an almost entirely new team. So, while people have their guesses both positive and negative, nobody knows.

I’m excited to see what happens.

I don’t doubt that there will be games where either Ace or Dylan have off games that result in a loss, even a WTF loss

We can hope not
Key is to be playing well as a team as the season wears on

As for transitions, Top 10 guys typically don't have a "difficult" transition. But we know you're a troll and have your narratives you push non-stop in both football and basketball.
Ace had a game or two on tv where he did not look extraordinary, did not stand out

We have to hope that if one or the other is having a tough game, we still have enough to beat a quality team

Ace had a game or two on tv where he did not look extraordinary, did not stand out

We have to hope that if one or the other is having a tough game, we still have enough to beat a quality team
None of what we saw in those games will be how they run the offense this season. HS all-star games are hit or miss with a lot of out control play. He also was the name everyone was talking about in other games like the one in the Bronx last year for example.

I found this article quite enlightening as it explains how coaches are beginning to consider parent involvement/interference when recruiting. I can't imagine how difficult this must be to do in portal recruiting in such a short time. Pike is mentioned as one who considers this when recruiting. Given the rumors of recent teams that had bad apples, I can totally understand it.

Reactions: hoochie302

Last year we beat Stonehill by one point, and should have lost, when they had 6 scholarship players on the roster, so really not worried about Ace and Dylan.

Reactions: Kbee3
The entire team will be on campus as of mid-June, so earlier. They have plenty of time to adjust to individual play styles and come together as a team.

am not anti-Pike, but we will find out if he can be an offense-centric coach. This team will be weaker defensively than what we’ve seen for a few years. I question if JWill and DH can run a team offense, and if the other players, including Ace, are good enough on both ends to outscore good teams. I didn’t like Simpson at all, however, and am glad he’s gone.

Without knowing who the 5 will be, I think so far we will be a bubble team.

I think it's always true that the team needs to bring their A - B game to beat other quality teams.

Reactions: raritan1
I think it's always true that the team needs to bring their A - B game to beat other quality teams.
More brilliance from you. What the hell kind of sense does that make ? Pure dumbass regurgitated Matt Millen blather. What if the ‘other quality teams’ bring a B+ game ? Or their A. Do we win ? I’ll tell you what: who the heck knows.

Simply a dumb, simplistic analysis. You ignore the opponent’s game.

1-x=y. Solve for x

Last edited:
More brilliance from you. What the hell kind of sense does that make ? Pure dumbass regurgitated Matt Millen blather. What if the ‘other quality teams’ bring a B+ game ? Or their A. Do we win ? I’ll tell you what: who the heck knows.

Simply a dumb, simplistic analysis. You ignore the opponent’s game.

1-x=y. Solve for x
How does one put someone "ignore"?

Correct. I should have stated I think that poster was making assumptions that will not be accurate. And no one knows, but from what I see, Pike has brought in experienced, tough talent that complements this freshman class and the players that stayed, AND will work hard on D. We will see.

Last edited:
It should be noted, Acuffs best shooting seasons were when he was off ball more. I still think with Pike offenses guys that are just offball scorers aren’t very effective.

We added Marini btw, the definition of an off-ball shooter. Also Pikes offense, for better or for worse, has always been about guys making plays, not running it through someone then getting it to off ball guys, he operates best with guys who can do something themselves. Acuff had his best shooting days as an offball guy so he can do that even if he can handle the ball. Seems like we may add PJ Hayes who can shoot it too. I think we will be fine.

Again, my opinion, but I have my reservations about how much Martini plays.

1. If Lathan is as good as people seem to expect, then doubtful Martini plays small-ball 5.
  2. Everyone keeps saying 3 guard lineup. That puts Martini (and Grant) on the bench for most of the game then.
  3. If the expectation is that 3 of Dylan, JWill, Acuff, Derkack, Davis (and even potential transfer G) are on the floor at all times - that leaves minimal minutes for Martini (and Grant) to back up Ace, who presumably will play significant minutes.
  4. Saying all that, I hope Martini plays himself onto the floor more often (based on his presumed shooting ability). But that means a JWill, Dylan, Ace, Martini lineup. Putting the "3 guard lineup" on the bench (which I've outlined in other posts as preferable for myself).

1. If Lathan is as good as people seem to expect, then doubtful Martini plays small-ball 5.
  2. Everyone keeps saying 3 guard lineup. That puts Martini (and Grant) on the bench for most of the game then.
  3. If the expectation is that 3 of Dylan, JWill, Acuff, Derkack, Davis (and even potential transfer G) are on the floor at all times - that leaves minimal minutes for Martini (and Grant) to back up Ace, who presumably will play significant minutes.
  4. Saying all that, I hope Martini plays himself onto the floor more often (based on his presumed shooting ability). But that means a JWill, Dylan, Ace, Martini lineup. Putting the "3 guard lineup" on the bench (which I've outlined in other posts as preferable for myself).
There is no three guard lineup, Martini is the starting 4 and will be backed up by Grant from the sounds of it.

I’ve now come to the opinion Martini is slated to start. The roster just works so much better if that’s the case, and the way Pike glowed about Martini in his most recent interview makes me think he wants Martini to start at the 4.

We are all excited on this new group of players and what will it look like in wins and losses. But we do need to open our eyes to see what some of our B1G counterparts are doing with the portal influx. Especially , IU , Ohio St and UM. They are bringing in proven players from blue blood schools. I am most surprised with IU , rumors that Woodson would be let go and losing one of their top recruits to bringing in a bunch of top of the portal transfers.

There is no three guard lineup, Martini is the starting 4 and will be backed up by Grant from the sounds of it.
If Martini starts, and is the only outside shooter, that makes him the 3. There needs to be at least 1 3pt shooter in the starting lineup.

then for spacing reasons, this means Ace mostly runs the baseline back and forth like was GG’s fate. Maybe DH and JWill can find him, or maybe he gets lost and misused. And despite GG’s shortcomings he’s still a better shooter than Ace.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT