ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker

Geo's feeling that this was shady by Cam or Georgetown (?) maybe / yes... but what did Geo and others think was going to happen??? Dr. Frankenstein creates, Frankenstin (NIL)... and nothing good comes of it because no one understands or has a solution of the collateral damage it has and will cause. Transfer portal understood... coaches leave, then so can players. Screw it... let there be another league, and let College start all over again with amateur sports for Academic athletes. Scholarship pays for your academics.. everything else should just be a minor league system like Baseball or hockey has for 18yr olds +.....
** and fans are vilified because they are bitter about these moves, why? if they do what they want, and for whatever fee, then fans can be pissed off as well.. this is really no different than a professional free agent leaves a team for a better deal and fans get pissed. Something else has to change, and quite frankly, don't believe GEO and others who pushed this, realize the tidal wave of trouble coming. Programs will shut down because inflation is a beast on its own, and now you have to raise more money for student athletes to be compensated like a pro? NOPE... I am a RUTGERS fan, but not a fan of this shit. Fix it, be fair, but stop this Frankenstein from getting lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: LETSGORU91
@Geo_Baker_1 the one part you are missing that some people have mentioned is there is not the same connection for a Rutgers alum to a rotating group of 1 year rental players as there is to a kid that was recruited here, played the entire time and was loyal. That product is called the professional leagues. Getting to know you, Paul, Cliff is much more fun for me than getting to know Noah Fernandez.

The other problem is when you lose a customer, you don't get them back. It's very expensive to attract new customers. "Fans" are the customer and that's what drives TV deals. Athletes are entertainers. Your job is to entertain, that is what you signed up for when you played and what I signed up for when I played.

There is little business value with NIL. I have personally contacted you about it on more than one occasion and I appreciate all that you do but I can never get myself to pull the trigger for my business because there is no ROI for us.

When I get rich enough, then I'll buy some players like the other rich assholes do.

This is the reason the NCAA didn't want players earning. It is way to easy to corrupt and they knew once the genie was out of the bottle it would be the wild west.

A few posters in various threads have been routinely using the word "poaching" to also describe Rutgers' signing of players who had already entered the portal for one reason or another.. That doesn't seem like the definition of poaching... Unless RU's representative contacted the player before the player entered the portal, or worked hard to get a player who was committed to another school to decommit and flip to RU, etc, it doesn't really fit the definition of poaching. JMO.

This is the reason the NCAA didn't want players earning. It is way to easy to corrupt and they knew once the genie was out of the bottle it would be the wild west.
but by sticking their head in the sand and bnot trying to get out in front of it after the O'Bannon decision went against them, this can of worms evolved.
The NCAA might have not been able to regulate how NILs are controlled, but since they didn't even try they bear some of the blame of how many college fans are starting to feel the players loyalty doesn't belong to the program they signed up with, but to whoever offers the most bucks.

I would have loved to see the NCAA try to make revenue sharing part of any NIL deal a player makes.
Equal share to every player on the team
That might have been fought and forced to end, but the NCAA neeed to try something that might have controlled NIL deals instead of the uncontrolled mess it is now

If you go back to when NILs were first being discussed, you'd see I was for it.
But I was naive to the fact that the NCAA would wash their hands of it and not try to set rules about how NIL signings were handled and the way it was used to recruit players.

Reactions: bac2therac
Narrow-minded is the wrong description.

People like YOU are jaded and narrow-minded. Tolerance is not a concept you understand.

Geo was a college kid when he promoted this.

He was idealistic and naive, just like many college kids. I applaud their efforts to make the world a better place, even when they fail to anticipate the negative consequences.

If he did not promote this, someone else would have. The time to promote this cause had arrived, and he happened to be one of the people in the lead.

This thread disgusts me, as there is nothing lower than fans trying to blame a college kid when things go off the rails. They seem to forget conveniently how much he gave to promote the RU basketball program. He is a good kid, trying to do what he believes to be the right thing.

The motivations of the people trying to throw him into the trash are all too obvious.
Geo’s promotion of this is irrelevant, the court process had started before Geo made his feelings known, which at the end of the day had no bearing on decision handed down by the Supreme Court. The people on this board who are angry about the current state of things are looking for someone to blame and misguidedly keep bringing up Geo. This would have happened whether or not Geo had ever voiced his opinion. The real culprit is the NCAA, which has to craft a system that works within the bounds of the law, and the Power Conferences, who have been hiding behind the NCAA on these issues.

@Geo_Baker_1 the one part you are missing that some people have mentioned is there is not the same connection for a Rutgers alum to a rotating group of 1 year rental players as there is to a kid that was recruited here, played the entire time and was loyal. That product is called the professional leagues. Getting to know you, Paul, Cliff is much more fun for me than getting to know Noah Fernandez.

The other problem is when you lose a customer, you don't get them back. It's very expensive to attract new customers. "Fans" are the customer and that's what drives TV deals. Athletes are entertainers. Your job is to entertain, that is what you signed up for when you played and what I signed up for when I played.

There is little business value with NIL. I have personally contacted you about it on more than one occasion and I appreciate all that you do but I can never get myself to pull the trigger for my business because there is no ROI for us.

When I get rich enough, then I'll buy some players like the other rich assholes do.
I kind of disagree. Akwasi Yeboah only played one season here and he is one of my favorite players that has ever come through this program.

Obviously it’s easier to make that type of connection to a player who you watch play for three or four years but I don’t think you can’t still feel the same way about a player who’s only here for a year.

That would seem to indicate that there were other significant factors in Cam's decision.
So, it wasn't just about the money ?
I think it has to do with Mulcahy favoritism. We’ve got 2 new guards coming in and Paul’s gonna get starter guard minutes, undeserved of course. Cam was the best all around player on the team, unquestionably.

Narrow minded is thinking that someone shouldn’t have the rights to their own name while the industry owning it is making billions of dollars.

There is a reason why Jersey Mikes bought the Rac, and a reason why SHI bought the football stadium and i promise you it isn’t because they’re fans of Rutgers. It’s because the sports and the student athletes bring eyes and attention.

The entire thing is a business. I get it that NIL doesn’t suit the fan perspective of what college sports was. But the original view of college sports was a wrong one. Anyone who doesn’t see the bigger picture is the narrow minded one.
Agree with you, but this particular version of NIL isn't right either.

The players rightfully wanted a piece of the pie, so to speak. But they aren't getting a piece of the pie, they are getting a totally separate pie, funded directly from fans. I donate to NIL, and I hate the fact that I have to subsidize this. I have received absolutely nothing back from my NIL donations aside from the fact that I hope it retains some of our best football and basketball players.

Hopefully when the B1G and SEC turn into 24 team super conferences, they make their own league and pay players' salaries out of the tv revenue generated and have salary caps for parity. I'm fine with NIL through corporations where investments are made in a player in hopes of a ROI. Fans having to buy their teams is a drag and frankly makes me want to shift my focus to pro-sports. Fortunately, or unfortunately, something is wrong with me and I still linger on here hoping to see the best for RU.

There is a big difference here in where the money comes from. In your example above the coaches get paid directly by the school which gets the money from their revenue(tickets & TV rights).
With the intended purpose of NIL the way I envisioned it as Geo spoke about was having a player have the right to their Name Image and Likeness to earn money which ultimately should have come out of the pocket of businesses(that earn revenue) to pay players. His vision was to be able to host a camp. Other players saw this as a revenue share with the NCAA or P5 which earn crazy TV deals and earn billions.
Instead we ended up with the ability to pay players for their NIL out of the pockets of Donors and in other cases businesses(mostly for advertising such as in Livvy Dunne's case). It's no wonder the schools or the NCAA do not want to get involved as they aren't liable for anything here and they still keep reaping the rewards. What do they care about a player like Cam Spencer moving from one team to the next? They don't. Not a single dollar comes out of their pocket and they still have their tournaments and TV time.
When you leave the huge financial burden on the donors it creates a massive conundrum. You will separate schools based on their donor base but also a school will now struggle as a result because funds typically earmarked for capex or scholarships may now get diverted away to P4P.
Too long schools have relied on donations for funding to act as a non-profit organization. Maybe the NCAA should be paying the schools directly for a stipend towards scholarships that go to the players to give back their part of NIL. I mean these players are earning the NCAA Billions and where is their part in giving back.
The straw that broke my camels back (which took way too long) was when UCLA and USC joined the B1G.

Are we really sending athletes 3 time zones away and a 6 hour flight both always just for added $!

• Haha
Reactions: Jerseylegends
Have I been to 100+ Rutgers football games because the players or the school? It hasnt been because were juggernauts haha.

I didnt say dylan/a player would be a nobody in life. Theyd be a total nobody for that timeframe though while in g league compared to if they went to college and played.

Wow.....lol so in your head Rutgers is a higher profile platform than the NBA g league? Dylan Harper is a top 3 player in his class. He will be marketed by whatever league he becomes a part of. I was really underestimating how little you guys know about how things work. Do you think more people in the country know about scoot Henderson or cliff omuyuri? Being that this a Rutgers centered message board, Idk if you guys know of scoot Henderson but he's the projected no. 2 pick in the draft that went from high school to the g league..Maybe on this board Dylan would be a nobody if he went to the g league but as far as the rest of the world, the g league probably provided him with more exposure to the rest of the world than a college team could have..

Reactions: RUsojo
There is a big difference here in where the money comes from. In your example above the coaches get paid directly by the school which gets the money from their revenue(tickets & TV rights).
With the intended purpose of NIL the way I envisioned it as Geo spoke about was having a player have the right to their Name Image and Likeness to earn money which ultimately should have come out of the pocket of businesses(that earn revenue) to pay players. His vision was to be able to host a camp. Other players saw this as a revenue share with the NCAA or P5 which earn crazy TV deals and earn billions.
Instead we ended up with the ability to pay players for their NIL out of the pockets of Donors and in other cases businesses(mostly for advertising such as in Livvy Dunne's case). It's no wonder the schools or the NCAA do not want to get involved as they aren't liable for anything here and they still keep reaping the rewards. What do they care about a player like Cam Spencer moving from one team to the next? They don't. Not a single dollar comes out of their pocket and they still have their tournaments and TV time.
When you leave the huge financial burden on the donors it creates a massive conundrum. You will separate schools based on their donor base but also a school will now struggle as a result because funds typically earmarked for capex or scholarships may now get diverted away to P4P.
Too long schools have relied on donations for funding to act as a non-profit organization. Maybe the NCAA should be paying the schools directly for a stipend towards scholarships that go to the players to give back their part of NIL. I mean these players are earning the NCAA Billions and where is their part in giving back.

Coaches don't get paid by the schools either.

How many times have we heard "the AD needs to raise funds to fire a coach" or "the new head coach is being paid by private funds and not the AD budget"?

There is no difference with NIL. It's just that the ADs have soaked fans for money for coaches for a long time and everyone is used to it by now.

I wonder if the current state of college basketball is what Geo and the kid from Iowa envisioned? Kids jumping from school to school every year for a “bag”. I understand the free market aspects of introducing NIL, but college basketball is effectively unrecognizable and has changed for the worse.

Maybe this was Geo’s plan, would love to hear his perspective.

Wasn’t

I don't understand how you can see the amount of people making a living off these kids, the universities, the conferences, the NCAA, the networks, Nike, adidas, the media that curates content on these kids from the time they are 14 years old, some even earlier. An entire ecosystem of people making a living, a large number of them a very very good living but you feel these kids should just receive room and board and free meals? While you'll pay yahoo $10 month just to talk about these kids...you have to be able to step out of your comfort zone and realize that was wrong, I really don't know how you can conclude in your mind that if people are willing to pay these kids whatever, that they shouldn't go for it because of being loyal to your alma mater...the older I get the more I understand how people get taken advantage of financially, it's always the "loyal" left holding the bag lol...

everything in life is driven by money. (as sad as it is... human nature to want better)
someone will always will find loophole to get better deals for themselves.
is there anything in life that is regulated perfectly and there is no loopholes?
stop crying and move on. NIL is the world we live in now and now we have to accept it, plus play it to our advantage however possible.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
Wow.....lol so in your head Rutgers is a higher profile platform than the NBA g league? Dylan Harper is a top 3 player in his class. He will be marketed by whatever league he becomes a part of. I was really underestimating how little you guys know about how things work. Do you think more people in the country know about scoot Henderson or cliff omuyuri? Being that this a Rutgers centered message board, Idk if you guys know of scoot Henderson but he's the projected no. 2 pick in the draft that went from high school to the g league..Maybe on this board Dylan would be a nobody if he went to the g league but as far as the rest of the world, the g league probably provided him with more exposure to the rest of the world than a college team could have..
U think g league is watched more than college ball?

U think g league is watched more than college ball?
Of course not, the season runs concurrently with the regular NBA season...I'm saying a player like Dylan Harper is marketable where ever he ends up playing. I.e scoot Henderson, I knew about him before I knew about Brandon miller...I didn't know about miller until the incident with his teammate.

everything in life is driven by money. (as sad as it is... human nature to want better)
someone will always will find loophole to get better deals for themselves.
is there anything in life that is regulated perfectly and there is no loopholes?
stop crying and move on. NIL is the world we live in now and now we have to accept it, plus play it to our advantage however possible.
No everything in life is not driven by money. That’s sad you think that. Money makes things easy for sure but if money is your motivation you will be very unhappy.

No everything in life is not driven by money. That’s sad you think that. Money makes things easy for sure but if money is your motivation you will be very unhappy.
yea you took it literally. i was exaggerating but yes a lot is driven by money.
-politics
-schools
-work
you can just mention so many things in the world that are set up to do something but in the background there is money motivation or decisions are based on money...
you can be dumb and not knowledge it... thats upto you

FYI: I never said Money = happiness

yea you took it literally. i was exaggerating but yes a lot is driven by money.
-politics
-schools
-work
you can just mention so many things in the world that are set up to do something but in the background there is money motivation or decisions are based on money...
you can be dumb and not knowledge it... thats upto you

FYI: I never said Money = happiness
You said everything in life is driven by money. I’m glad it seems you realize that’s not the case. Dumb? Hardly. Have a good night and wish you well.

You said everything in life is driven by money. I’m glad it seems you realize that’s not the case. Dumb? Hardly. Have a good night and wish you well.
yea maybe you never bought your house with $$? or rent your place with no $$$? you never bought food with $$$?
you buy things with sticks? or you grow vegetables in your backyard and trade them for things you need?

I don't understand how you can see the amount of people making a living off these kids, the universities, the conferences, the NCAA, the networks, Nike, adidas, the media that curates content on these kids from the time they are 14 years old, some even earlier. An entire ecosystem of people making a living, a large number of them a very very good living but you feel these kids should just receive room and board and free meals? While you'll pay yahoo $10 month just to talk about these kids...you have to be able to step out of your comfort zone and realize that was wrong, I really don't know how you can conclude in your mind that if people are willing to pay these kids whatever, that they shouldn't go for it because of being loyal to your alma mater...the older I get the more I understand how people get taken advantage of financially, it's always the "loyal" left holding the bag lol...
The players are a dime a dozen. They need the schools MUCH more than the schools need them.

If schools ended college sports, in net alot of them (Rutgers) would actually make more money. Some schools less, alot fewer though. Schools dont need college sports, college sports need schools.

Reactions: RUskoolie
The players are a dime a dozen. They need the schools MUCH more than the schools need them.

If schools ended college sports, in net alot of them (Rutgers) would actually make more money. Some schools less, alot fewer though. Schools dont need college sports, college sports need schools.
You are just saying things, you're not backing up your statements, just saying things that fit your narrative. That is fine but again, it looks funny to see you saying players are "a dime a dozen" then see you throw a tantrum over schiano not being able to get whoever because another school will pay that player more money. As you said you will support the team regardless so be proud of whoever puts on the Rutgers jersey.

Reactions: RUbbFannn
Pilots need the Airlines much more than the airlines need them. Pilots are a dime a dozen, the airlines have all of the planes; I don't understand why pilots get paid.

You can make this argument for everything...you're basically describing the working class, you sound worse than carl marx @kyk1826

Reactions: RUbbFannn
Of course not, the season runs concurrently with the regular NBA season...I'm saying a player like Dylan Harper is marketable where ever he ends up playing. I.e scoot Henderson, I knew about him before I knew about Brandon miller...I didn't know about miller until the incident with his teammate.
Marketable in what way? Will the nba scouts find him? Of course. Theyre finding 14 year old kids in villages in africa.

However, no one follows the G league. More people go to high school games. Theyre irrelevant to common fans in the g league

Pilots need the Airlines much more than the airlines need them. Pilots are a dime a dozen, the airlines have all of the planes; I don't understand why pilots get paid.

You can make this argument for everything...you're basically describing the working class, you sound worse than carl marx @kyk1826
What? Lol. Marx would quite literally argue the exact opposite that the employers/schools are nothing without the employee/athlete

They get the equivalent of 100k worth of income a year at the age of 18 between scholarships, housing, food, clothing, cost of attendance, tutors, personal training, flights, hotels. Now add NIL on top of it.

You think all of these guys can make that money anywhere else at that age? How many can go from HS to the G league? Or in football HS to even the XFL or USFL? They would get paid half that and no one really cares in those leagues.

I miss the point where a gun is pointed at their head to sign up for this.

You are just saying things, you're not backing up your statements, just saying things that fit your narrative. That is fine but again, it looks funny to see you saying players are "a dime a dozen" then see you throw a tantrum over schiano not being able to get whoever because another school will pay that player more money. As you said you will support the team regardless so be proud of whoever puts on the Rutgers jersey.
1) the names on the back change every year and regardless the fans still watch

2) if all players left for the g league and assembled identical teams and d2 players filled out d1 rosters, more people would watch/go to the college games than the new league games. People care about the schools not the players. Its why theres been no alternative to college basketball, theres no market for it. No one cares about the names on the back.

3) i wish we had an unlimited war chest to buy kids like theyre cattle.

4) would pro sports be a better or worse product if every player was on a 1 year deal and there was no salary cap? (Youll avoid this one)

3) i wish we had an unlimited war chest to buy kids like theyre cattle.
The irony in all of this is you had players claiming the NCAA treated them like slaves but now the players get to auction themselves off like a hooker and that's ok. I don't get that logic.

Reactions: bac2therac
The irony in all of this is you had players claiming the NCAA treated them like slaves but now the players get to auction themselves off like a hooker and that's ok. I don't get that logic.

I don’t frequent hookers but I thought they had, like, flat fees for different “services”. Never heard of a hooker auction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT