ADVERTISEMENT

Griffiths

He had a rough year no doubt but let’s see how he looks with a full year of strength and conditioning. He needs to fill out a bit, but definitely looked better as the year went on. At least he always hustles out there. A lot of others gave up.
Yeah because this staff does a great job on strength and conditioning of its athletes! 😆

I actually don't think his ineffectiveness has anything to do with weight or muscle. This isn't wrestling or shot put. Lots of lanky guys with the talent can dominate offensively. Maybe a little weight helps his game on D, that's it.
Correct. It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.

My concern is that he’s just not a tough, aggressive kid and you can’t teach that,

He stinks. Tired of the excuses. Supposed to be great shooter, and is awful. Can't create own shot. Can't really do much of anything. He has to be the worst 4/5 recruit anyone can recall.
You didn't abuse him enough in the game thread, needed to start another thread to heap it on? You are so nasty and negative I am wondering if you are a troll. At least you didn't stoop to Dennis' level and make fun of his skin color. You and the rest of the nasties need to stop teeing off on the players.

Reactions: dfr1966 and RUMike
I believe Gavin will do much better next season at RU. He scored 45 points in the last 4 games for an average of 11.25 for those 4 games. There was a lot of pressure on him this season and I am certain he pressed too hard. Next season Harper and Bailey will have a lot of pressure but I think they will handle it better. I think Gavin will get more open shots and will get stronger and can be a real asset to our team. I hope with our 5 incoming recruits that we will be much improved and I hope that Griffiths, Davis and J. Williams will be back next season. All the players are good guys but hopefully we can add a few guys from the portal who are really good and want to play with Dylan and Ace and Jersey Mike's can be rocking again in November. I so much looking forward to next season. The so called fans who are so negative can leave our fan base if they wish. We don't need any fair weather fans.

You didn't abuse him enough in the game thread, needed to start another thread to heap it on? You are so nasty and negative I am wondering if you are a troll. At least you didn't stoop to Dennis' level and make fun of his skin color. You and the rest of the nasties need to stop teeing off on the players.
Give me a break. Everyone knows his first year was mega bust for his recruit hype coming in. Hopefully if he's here again he turns it around.

Obviously this was a difficult season for Gavin beyond just RU's overall record. Certainly there were improvements over the season and while his efforts may not always have been perfect, some of the hustle he showed towards the end of the season, with additional work this offseason, will benefit him down the road. Additional time to physically and mentally mature, plus additional strength work, shooting work, and film studies could pay off big time. Sometimes being humbled, like he was this year, learning from that experience, and having to fight back as opposed to everything "being easy" helps people better reach their potential, whether in sports or in another field. I hope he uses this year as fuel to crush it for RU next season.

I believe Gavin will do much better next season at RU. He scored 45 points in the last 4 games for an average of 11.25 for those 4 games. There was a lot of pressure on him this season and I am certain he pressed too hard. Next season Harper and Bailey will have a lot of pressure but I think they will handle it better. I think Gavin will get more open shots and will get stronger and can be a real asset to our team.
I've already said it often, but I agree with this...

Reactions: shields
Gavin has 12 points and is 4-9 from the field, the only player with somewhat of a pulse
He was brutal on defense and he is so soft. We are a team whose identity is defense, rebounding and getting 50/50s.

Gavin started 3 games. We got blitzed at the start in all 3 games.

He was brutal on defense and he is so soft. We are a team whose identity is defense, rebounding and getting 50/50s.

Gavin started 3 games. We got blitzed at the start in all 3 games.
So it was all on Gavin that the team performed poorly in those 3 games?

One has nothing to do with the other. You should know better.

Reactions: shields
So it was all on Gavin that the team performed poorly in those 3 games?

One has nothing to do with the other. You should know better.
He was a big part of it. I think 4 of the 1st 5 Maryland hoops had his defensive stamp on it.

Of course it wasn't all on gavin.

Again...when the backbone of your team is playing hard and tough and you are starting potentially your softest player it has an impact. Now we have a bunch of guys who are too soft. There was a loose ball near our bench where the winning play was to sacrifice your body and dive and try to save it. Unfortunately not many on this team are willing to do it. Gavin certainly wasn't

Rough season no doubt...still plenty of potential for the future.

I tell you what I hear so many on here talking strength with Gavin. If I could give him more of one thing it would be SPEED...esp laterally. He just looks very slow. His closeouts on defense look like they are at half speed. He just doesn't have much burst/quickness at all. If he's gonna revamp his game and become less of a perimeter guy he can bulk up all he wants. But if he's going to guarding wings on the three point line he has got to get faster. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster...

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
Also - and I posted this in another thread last week - you might wanna take a look at RHJ's frosh year #'s and compare with Gavin's. RHJ also struggled on D as a frosh, as well, IIRC.

Reactions: soundcrib
I think I was most impressed by Gavin’s confidence at the line yesterday. He didn’t rush his foul shots and they were sweet nothing but net.

Where was that this all year?

Has to come back stronger but little worried about basketball strength and conditioning program.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT