ADVERTISEMENT

"Hardest and Easiest NJ Colleges to be Accepted by"

If you look at the admissions profile on the RU website arts and sciences is 1270-1430 25%-75% so wouldn't the average score be 1350?

First, SAS figures would not reflect the other colleges. For instance, it wouldn't reflect engineering, right? And engineering students are likely to have done well on the math portion of the SAT. Second, it may be that there are more admitted students scoring high than admitted students scoring low. BTW, I am very impressed that 25% of the class is better than 1430.

First, SAS figures would not reflect the other colleges. For instance, it wouldn't reflect engineering, right? And engineering students are likely to have done well on the math portion of the SAT.

Correct...while arts & sciences at NB would comprise all of SAS, which would be the majority of the overall incoming class, it wouldn't include any of the other undergrad schools. In addition to engineering, there's pharmacy, business, SEBS, nursing, etc.

Even if the two reported figures were representing the same population, other thing is that with the 1299 "average", it's not clear whether that is the mean or the median, but my guess is that it's probably the former. Whereas in the 25%-75% range reporting, the 50% score would be the median, but that doesn't necessarily have to be at the midpoint (arithmetic mean) of the 25% and 75% scores either.

Second, it may be that there are more admitted students scoring high than admitted students scoring low.

Exactly...also not an apples to apples comparison. The incoming class score versus the admitted score are likely not the same, with the admitted score likely higher than the incoming class score. Reason being that the admitted cohort includes applicants who apply as safety. Assuming some of those enroll elsewhere, their higher than the "average" score will not subsequently reflect in the incoming class score.

Correct...while arts & sciences at NB would comprise all of SAS, which would be the majority of the overall incoming class, it wouldn't include any of the other undergrad schools. In addition to engineering, there's pharmacy, business, SEBS, nursing, etc.

Even if the two reported figures were representing the same population, other thing is that with the 1299 "average", it's not clear whether that is the mean or the median, but my guess is that it's probably the former. Whereas in the 25%-75% range reporting, the 50% score would be the median, but that doesn't necessarily have to be at the midpoint (arithmetic mean) of the 25% and 75% scores either.

Exactly...also not an apples to apples comparison. The incoming class score versus the admitted score are likely not the same, with the admitted score likely higher than the incoming class score. Reason being that the admitted cohort includes applicants who apply as safety. Assuming some of those enroll elsewhere, their higher than the "average" score will not subsequently reflect in the incoming class score.

Yes, I should have written "entering class" rather than "admitted students" since the figures probably reflect the former rather than the latter. I assume also that 1299 is the mean since it is stated as the average, and the two terms are just different terms for referring to the mean.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Yes, I should have written "entering class" rather than "admitted students" since the figures probably reflect the former rather than the latter. I assume also that 1299 is the mean since it is stated as the average, and the two terms are just different terms for referring to the mean.
That is still a very impressive average SAT score for enrollees.

RU Man might be able to tell us how that compares to the schools he's been discussing. I'd be curious as to whether % admitted correlates that well with SAT scores.
Actually, Rutgers SAT scores compare very favorably with the UC schools. I would say they are right on par with UC Santa Barbara, Irvine and Davis. UC San Diego is a bit higher and UCLA and Berkeley are now on par with the Ivies and other top colleges and universities. One of my son's friends chose UCLA over Penn. He scored a 1540 (out of 1600) on his SAT's and had a weighted GPA of around a 4.85 (unweighted 3.9).

I think that 1299 is probably the mean score, which is excellent. This is why Rutgers needs to compare themselves to the schools above. Rutgers competes favorably with standardized test scores and grade-wise Rutgers is very similar to Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara and San Diego. But those four schools had the following acceptance rates for 2018: 41%, 29%, 32% and 30%.

I think UC schools have one application meaning you can apply to all of them even if you are aiming for a lower tier school as your target. California also has a huge population. Of course the acceptance rates are going to be lower than Rutgers. That's why acceptance rate is a poor measure for the quality of the average student.

A california kid who is aiming for UC-Irvine is probably still going to apply for Berkeley. It's worth a shot even if they know it's a reach.

1300 or 1350 average would be great! I know someone very intelligent who graduated from RU with a 1350 SAT score. :sunglasses:

Rutgers does need to admit students to get revenue. Keep in mind, too, that RC no longer exists, and that instead students are admitted to the School of Arts and Sciences,which includes old Douglass and Livingston. Who knows what the admission rate is for SAS.

Right- I guess it's possible that the former Cook (SEBS I think now) could throw things off too.

I think UC schools have one application meaning you can apply to all of them even if you are aiming for a lower tier school as your target.

I think it boils down to desirability/demand. UC receives a far greater than proportionate number of applications (relative to number of available seats/capacity) compared to Rutgers. They both only have so many seats across their campuses, and this comes into play with how many applications they each have to accept (and from which, how many will enroll), in order to fill their incoming classes at each campus..., i.e. the yield.

Unless things have changed recently, like the UC system and probably several other universities, Rutgers also has a single application from which you can apply to various undergrad schools at NB, at Newark, and/or at Camden. Also there may be a limit to the number of schools you can apply to for an initial application fee, with probably a higher tiered fee structure to be able to apply to more schools.

California also has a huge population. Of course the acceptance rates are going to be lower than Rutgers.

I'm not sure CA and NJ would fare much differently relative to their populations, in fact it might suggest the reverse of your claim since NJ likely has a relative shortage of supply of seats to meet its in-state demand compared to CA. We hear every year about significant brain drain/net export of students from NJ due to this issue...perhaps more than any other state it "needs" the Shop Rite moms to send their Joey and Sally to the OOS publics and to privates, nevermind that some of them desire to attend those schools anyway.

Rutgers-NB isn't able to have as high of a selectivity as the top UCs partly because it doesn't attract as many applications and not as many out of state applications either. Just need to continue trying to market the school better.

A california kid who is aiming for UC-Irvine is probably still going to apply for Berkeley.

Probably true. Same with Rutgers with a NJ kid aiming for Newark and/or Camden and also applying to New Brunswick (potential reach).

When it comes to available seats versus demand for admission at certain undergrad schools, however, there may be something to consider. There is wider availability of programs/majors across different UC campuses compared to the Rutgers campuses. Intra-school transfer within Rutgers notwithstanding, one can only study in certain programs at New Brunswick (engineering, pharmacy, ag, et.al.), or transfer in to NB to finish the upper division of study. Whereas in the UC system, for example, one can complete a reputable degree in engineering at more than just Berkeley or UCLA (in fact it is possible to do at more than half, if not all, of their campuses - probably not UC Merced). That's one difference in the broader university system setup that UC has versus the smaller setup that Rutgers has (only one larger flagship campus, two smaller regional campuses). Rutgers is generally more similar to U of Michigan in that context.

Last edited:
I think it boils down to desirability/demand. UC receives a far greater than proportionate number of applications (relative to number of available seats/capacity) compared to Rutgers. They both only have so many seats across their campuses, and this comes into play with how many applications they each have to accept (and from which, how many will enroll), in order to fill their incoming classes at each campus..., i.e. the yield.

Unless things have changed recently, like the UC system and probably several other universities, Rutgers also has a single application from which you can apply to various undergrad schools at NB, at Newark, and/or at Camden. Also there may be a limit to the number of schools you can apply to for an initial application fee, with probably a higher tiered fee structure to be able to apply to more schools.

I'm not sure CA and NJ would fare much differently relative to their populations, in fact it might suggest the reverse of your claim since NJ likely has a relative shortage of supply of seats to meet its in-state demand compared to CA. We hear every year about significant brain drain/net export of students from NJ due to this issue...perhaps more than any other state it "needs" the Shop Rite moms to send their Joey and Sally to the OOS publics and to privates, nevermind that some of them desire to attend those schools anyway.

Rutgers-NB isn't able to have as high of a selectivity as the top UCs partly because it doesn't attract as many applications and not as many out of state applications either. Just need to continue trying to market the school better.

Probably true. Same with Rutgers with a NJ kid aiming for Newark and/or Camden and also applying to New Brunswick (potential reach).

When it comes to available seats versus demand for admission at certain undergrad schools, however, there may be something to consider. There is wider availability of programs/majors across different UC campuses compared to the Rutgers campuses. Intra-school transfer within Rutgers notwithstanding, one can only study in certain programs at New Brunswick (engineering, pharmacy, ag, et.al.), or transfer in to NB to finish the upper division of study. Whereas in the UC system, for example, one can complete a reputable degree in engineering at more than just Berkeley or UCLA (in fact it is possible to do at more than half, if not all, of their campuses - probably not UC Merced). That's one difference in the broader university system setup that UC has versus the smaller setup that Rutgers has (only one larger flagship campus, two smaller regional campuses). Rutgers is generally more similar to U of Michigan in that context.
TX, all great points. In fact one can get a great engineering degree at UC Merced as well as the other UC schools. They all have terrific STEM majors. One doesn't have to graduate from UCLA or Berkeley to get a great degree in engineering or the sciences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT