ADVERTISEMENT

Have seen Pike over multiple seasons- a one year player or back up portals dont change the reality

Some of what makes Puke successful are negated by kids transferring via portal. Hard to build a program of kids staying 4-5 years and turning the 2&3* prospect into a really good player, when 1-2 years into development kids head out for $ or change.

He has 2 1& dones coming in, but now has to build an entire team around them.

Thing I want to see out of coach is how he deals with change and his philosophies. I hate to point to Hurley because I despise him but taking a step back he really made some significant changes to his philosophies to help the team overall. Changed his whole offense and really focused on fundamentals.
Pike loves his defense and we all know that. There is no reason he cant open up his offense at the same time. Houston being a perfect example of that. Clearly he needs help from players.

Clearly many RU fans are more critical than anyone because we watch his teams over the years and point out all the flaws rather than in some cases celebrating the successes. Its like owning a home and you notice every little thing wrong with it but to the visitor they think your house looks great.

I trust that any true leader works on their craft and tries to improve anyway they can. It is not easy in this environment of NIL/Portal but we have a great class coming in and now the need is for shooters, experience, and fundamentally sound players to compliment them.

I truly hope we make some changes that puts these kids in the best position to succeed even if it is for 1 year

Thing I want to see out of coach is how he deals with change and his philosophies. I hate to point to Hurley because I despise him but taking a step back he really made some significant changes to his philosophies to help the team overall. Changed his whole offense and really focused on fundamentals.
Pike loves his defense and we all know that. There is no reason he cant open up his offense at the same time.
Like it or not, Hurley has the modern day environment figured out. So funny that we offered him our job twice plus Jay Wright. We always identified the right guy. We just couldn't land him. That said, Pike is a smart guy and he sees what's going on. I trust him to figure it out. That includes support from our AD to help him with NIL resources.

Like it or not, Hurley has the modern day environment figured out. So funny that we offered him our job twice plus Jay Wright. We always identified the right guy. We just couldn't land him. That said, Pike is a smart guy and he sees what's going on. I trust him to figure it out. That includes support from our AD to help him with NIL resources.
I sure hope so and I am rooting for him as he is a great guy. I just haven't seen much change rather consistency over the years with him. Hopefully this year opened is eyes to things but if don't make changes it is the definition of insanity

Reactions: rume and LeapinLou
I like Pike a lot and hope next season is a success, but what worries me is that what has made Pike a great coach — developing players on the defensive end and on the boards — takes time and unity. In this new era, your roster is going to look so different every year. When he had his most success, he had a core that stuck together and became so strong defensively. I just don’t know if he’ll be able to instill the things he wants to instill in the NIL and transfer portal era.

I like Pike a lot and hope next season is a success, but what worries me is that what has made Pike a great coach — developing players on the defensive end and on the boards — takes time and unity. In this new era, your roster is going to look so different every year. When he had his most success, he had a core that stuck together and became so strong defensively. I just don’t know if he’ll be able to instill the things he wants to instill in the NIL and transfer portal era.
That’s a college basketball problem not a Pike problem. Soon we will be the NBA, just a bunch of kids who shoot and no one plays defense or tries to get offensive rebounds until the playoffs. Horrible product

Pike loves his defense and we all know that. There is no reason he cant open up his offense at the same time. Houston being a perfect example of that. Clearly he needs help from players.

Clearly many RU fans are more critical than anyone because we watch his teams over the years and point out all the flaws rather than in some cases celebrating the successes. Its like owning a home and you notice every little thing wrong with it but to the visitor they think your house looks great.

I trust that any true leader works on their craft and tries to improve anyway they can. It is not easy in this environment of NIL/Portal but we have a great class coming in and now the need is for shooters, experience, and fundamentally sound players to compliment them.

I truly hope we make some changes that puts these kids in the best position to succeed even if it is for 1 year
The Hurley comparisons make me want to scream. UConn has recruited nothing but 4 star players, and grabbed portal players like Spencer, using resources that were not available to Pike. The players there were demonstrably better than what Pike could get. But someone everyone concludes that Pike needs to teach fundamentals better and have a new offensive philosophy.

I'd rather have Cam Spencer back.

Hobbs going on video with Richie and talking NIL was brilliant. He gets it. Helps that he’s a huge basketball fan and is determined to get us a natty.

Reactions: tm_nj
The Hurley comparisons make me want to scream. UConn has recruited nothing but 4 star players, and grabbed portal players like Spencer, using resources that were not available to Pike. The players there were demonstrably better than what Pike could get. But someone everyone concludes that Pike needs to teach fundamentals better and have a new offensive philosophy.

I'd rather have Cam Spencer back.

On top of their history, must help that football isn’t really pulling NIL dollars there.

Reactions: KevH

Hurley has adapted, but he also has a lot more NIL money to work with than Pike does.

Hurley has adapted, but he also has a lot more NIL money to work with than Pike does.
Uconn would give up its "first born "to be in the Acc, Big Ten ,etc. Maybe even their Ncaa championship to get to a real league. They are orphans who needed a home. Great basketball team but in the long run as a school wanting major status afforded by a major conference they are currently screwed.

I think we have seen Pike begin to change his offensive philosophy. He has been striving for an up-tempo offense for the several years, but we have not had the players in the system to execute that effectively (talent?, inexperience and low BB IQ). He has also recently changed his recruiting philosophy. The key for Pike moving forward is how he adapts to the portal. Initially he was using the portal to find complimentary players to fill open roster spots. We have heard that this year he will be more aggressive in the portal to secure higher profile players to better leverage the one and done talent that is arriving this summer. If he is successful, he will still need to mold a roster with eight or nine new players into a team. That will be quite a challenge. I hope he succeeds.

That’s a college basketball problem not a Pike problem. Soon we will be the NBA, just a bunch of kids who shoot and no one plays defense or tries to get offensive rebounds until the playoffs. Horrible product
Its a Pikiell problem because the game has changed on and off the court.Less time for player development and more emphasis on experienced players that can contribute right away.Last seasons roster didn't have one consistent shooter/scorer.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think we have seen Pike begin to change his offensive philosophy. He has been striving for an up-tempo offense for the several years, but we have not had the players in the system to execute that effectively (talent?, inexperience and low BB IQ). He has also recently changed his recruiting philosophy. The key for Pike moving forward is how he adapts to the portal. Initially he was using the portal to find complimentary players to fill open roster spots. We have heard that this year he will be more aggressive in the portal to secure higher profile players to better leverage the one and done talent that is arriving this summer. If he is successful, he will still need to mold a roster with eight or nine new players into a team. That will be quite a challenge. I hope he succeeds.
I agree. Someone posted somewhere in a thread on here that our offense was "faster" this year than any other in Pike's tenure. The issue is that the tempo was still around #175 across college basketball and couple that with an inefficient offense which was in the 300's nationally that is the MAJOR issue

Reactions: RUDivision

Could not have said it better. Really good summary of the current situation.

Reactions: RUBlackout
I don’t see GG doing much wherever he goes.
No handle, can’t play in traffic or make uncontested foul shots.

Why do you despise Hurley?

THIS is the test... and something I've been concerned about too. He'll have to change the way he does some things, or go the way of the dodo bird.

Seeing his antics as UConn's head coach, no thanks. For whatever reason, he turned us down. No need to revisit. There are better coaches out there who are better people. IDGAS about a Jersey guy like him. Never liked his brother either.
I don’t know what his antics are. He was fine he was here and we cheered the team on

I don’t know what his antics are. He was fine he was here and we cheered the team on

Not sure how the media here would respond if he flipped off a fan or told one to go **** themself.

Doesnt bother me, but we’ve fired coaches for less here…

Reactions: BossNJ
You are being coy, Roy.

His antics and theatrics are well-known and he is hated for them. Just search his name and antics and you will find plenty of reading material. He's a doucher.

On the court, Hurley is an antagonist. He has his sideline antics and arguments with referees, which– ask Rick Pitino— can get under the skin of an opponent and its fans. He leaves starters in the game sometimes until the final minute, whether he’s up two or 20, and he’ll hype up the home crowd, and get into it with fans on the road.

Reactions: ancienthooper
Most of the negative Rutgers sports trajectory/future outlook can be laid at the feet of Hobbs if people are being honest.

Most of the negative Rutgers sports trajectory/future outlook can be laid at the feet of Hobbs if people are being honest.
Like 15 months ago you thought we were the “premier program on the East coast” or whatever. Not sure your perception of “future outlook” can be taken all that seriously.

Like 15 months ago you thought we were the “premier program on the East coast” or whatever. Not sure your perception of “future outlook” can be taken all that seriously.
The path was there for sure. It was a blunder by all Rutgers parties involved.

• Haha
Reactions: RedTeam1994
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT