ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs need to do something special to get students in Piscataway early for Ohio State

That little stunt basically ended students tailgating on Busch
What ended student tailgating on Busch was the Middlesex Country Sherrifs rising up and down the blue lots on their ATVs giving students tickets.

Last year students/fraternities tailgated was 2011 season during my senior year.

It's a real shame. Some of the best times I had at college werw at these tailgates.

Isn’t it a much larger student section than RU?

Not sure. It looked to consume about the same amount of space in the stadium as ours. Meaning the back of the end zone top to bottom. And theirs didn’t appear much taller or anything. They also didn’t have the band sitting in their section or a carve out for a recruiting lounge. So I’d guess maybe theirs was 15k for students ?

Wrong. It was packed a couple of times this year by about the 10-minute mark of the 1st quarter.
Agreed. The students haven't been an issue, except for Wagner, which nobody cared about, and MSU, where the rain scared people off. Unless it's bad weather, I expect the student section to be 90% full by kickoff. The buzz is real. I have all kinds of people who usually don't say much about RU sports commenting on my RU related FB posts and friends congratulating me on being 6-2 (as if I did something, lol).

• Haha
Reactions: Pinstripe111323
Alright folks, I cleaned this thread up. Let's keep the politics and partisanship out of this thread, we've got a good discussion going on.

And have Hobbs on stage and have him down a beer with them! What could go wrong?

That little stunt basically ended students tailgating on Busch

Yup. I think many of us thought it was a cool gesture that was going to backfire immediately and it did!

The shame of it was that it was people in the Rutgers Administration (not the Athletic Department) who had an absolute fit over The Alley (I think that's what it was called) and made Hobbs pull the plug on it. It may have even come down from Barchi and/or the legal department.

Our student section is very good. It would be better (and arrive earlier) if we let the students drink like most schools.

Not sure what schools *allow* their underage students to drink.

In Madison 2 weeks ago, the students didn't show up until midway thru the 2nd quarter. Started filing out right after they jumped around between 3rd & 4th quarter. By the end of the game there were about 50 students left for the 5th quarter.

R students do a good job of showing up for kick off. It's the staying until the end of the game that needs work. @RutgersRiotSquad is working on it.
Rutgers is also working on it Last home game they did a bingo game after halftime that would give a student $1000 cash but the last numbers wouldn't be called until the end of the game.

Which games?

Not NW until the 2nd quarter but granted that was LDWE

Obviously Mish St was empty cuz of rain

I head Wagner was half empty
Wrong wrong wrong. Students have been there early, by kickoff. It's staying till the end that's the problem

9 minutes left in 1st Q vs Northwestern LDW in the brutal heat

6:21 left in the 1st Q vs VT

Alright folks, I cleaned this thread up. Let's keep the politics and partisanship out of this thread, we've got a good discussion going on.

The shame of it was that it was people in the Rutgers Administration (not the Athletic Department) who had an absolute fit over The Alley (I think that's what it was called) and made Hobbs pull the plug on it. It may have
even come down from Barchi and/or the legal department.
I knew Barchi was an awful choice 5 minutes into his introduction speech. Referring to Athletics sports as a "nice activity". If he had the power he would have gotten rid of all athletic programs.

What ended student tailgating on Busch was the Middlesex Country Sherrifs rising up and down the blue lots on their ATVs giving students tickets.

Last year students/fraternities tailgated was 2011 season during my senior year.

It's a real shame. Some of the best times I had at college werw at these tailgates.
I was in the blue lot when that nonsense was going on. I miss the students in the lots. Now they party at the fraternities and houses on campus and hence why the student section is half full at KO.

hence why the student section is half full at KO.

The student section is NOT half full at KO. The student section is doing WAY better than the fans at KO

See my post above with my Tweets from NW and VT and here are pics from the Temple game, where a hell of a lot of fans stayed home because of the rain earlier in the game

Unveiling the CHOP banner BEFORE kick off. Students in the house (band still on the field)

ucPxUzo.jpg

Well before halftime

yPPTESf.jpg

The student section is NOT half full at KO. The student section is doing WAY better than the fans at KO

See my post above with my Tweets from NW and VT and here are pics from the Temple game, where a hell of a lot of fans stayed home because of the rain earlier in the game

Unveiling the CHOP banner BEFORE kick off. Students in the house (band still on the field)

ucPxUzo.jpg

Well before halftime

yPPTESf.jpg
The students have been great this year about getting in their seats early. Rest of stadium not so much!

The students have been early plenty. The regular fans need to do their part.
Another bad read by Bac. You're so right , he should complain about non students. I guess in his regular effort to bitch, students popped into that space between his ears first.

His interpersonal skills also left a lot to be desired.
He made it to the Scarlet Walk just once in his entire time at Rutgers and that was the first game after he was made President. He was by definition a putz!

Attach a raffle tix to each seat. Have a drawing at the end of the 3rd q. Draw for a few 1k prizes, then a 5k, then a 10k and a grand prize of 20k. Must be present to win. Problem solved.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Get the kids back on busch to tailgate, that would be a huge start. Make the game an event again, a must see type of situation like basketball is becoming. Winning obviously cures all, and also because the kids have a short attention span these days, Incentivize them to come in early and stay for the whole game.

Now, in regard to the non-students, look at the crowds from 2006 three 2009. Full houses for the majority of the games and a kick off. Same thing as students, start to make it an event, a must see situation, and start winning

Have some kind of bells running or a siren the sound off an hour before the game, then 45 minutes, then 30 minutes. Maybe the PA announcer can come on and encourage the fans to get in early to support the team as well.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
because people are ridiculous!!!!!

I was at the last great AG Field Day, then the doo gooders fked it all up
I remember my first one looking out my dorm window going…”that’s a beer truck!”

Now, in regard to the non-students, look at the crowds from 2006 three 2009. Full houses for the majority of the games and a kick off. Same thing as students, start to make it an event, a must see situation, and start winning

Have some kind of bells running or a siren the sound off an hour before the game, then 45 minutes, then 30 minutes. Maybe the PA announcer can come on and encourage the fans to get in early to support the team as well.
Pretty sure a lot of those were 3:30 kickoffs back then. Or 1pm at the earliest. Even one hour makes a difference.

As for the alarm clock, are we not still doing that? Thought that’s been going on for a while now.

ucPxUzo.jpg

Well before halftime

yPPTESf.jpg
Whoa! Ok Mrs. Screw I am taking your word for it! Students were in their seats at KO. And you are right, The fans have to leave their tailgates earlier, meself included. I vow to be in my seat for the OSU game by 5 minutes before KO! We need the stadium to be LOUD!

Attach a raffle tix to each seat. Have a drawing at the end of the 3rd q. Draw for a few 1k prizes, then a 5k, then a 10k and a grand prize of 20k. Must be present to win. Problem solved.
Wonder why the millennials are so soft.

The crowds for our last two home games were beyond pathetic and embarrassing. That's mostly due to the general public not caring about Rutgers football; students are definitely not the problem.

I do think this game will be close to a legitimate sellout but that's mostly because of all the Ohio State alumni and fans in the tri-state area. Most casual Rutgers fans will likely stay away since they think we'll get blown out.

Whoa! Ok Mrs. Screw I am taking your word for it! Students were in their seats at KO. And you are right, The fans have to leave their tailgates earlier, meself included. I vow to be in my seat for the OSU game by 5 minutes before KO! We need the stadium to be LOUD!
15...gotta be there for Excalibur's entrance!!

Actually it was more their behavior in the Blue Lot during our inaugural Big 10 season in 2014. @MrsScrew can attest to the problems they caused which resulted in the administration clamping down on them.

pssst....people don't like the horse video because it's "a horse of a different color" and they want a night horse video (I'm not one of those people!)
I just never understood the horse obsession on this board. We have an annual complaint thread about this poor horse.

Actually it was more their behavior in the Blue Lot during our inaugural Big 10 season in 2014. @MrsScrew can attest to the problems they caused which resulted in the administration clamping down on them.
I was over there for that year and it was pretty ugly. A lot of pi$$ing between cars and empty beer can sculptures/farms throughout the lot.

Reactions: bac2therac
How about raffles for the students for 2 all paid expense trip to Rutgers Bowl Game. Give away 5 trips in 1st quarter and 5 in the fourth quarter. Must be there to win
Nice, all expenses paid trip to the Bronx.

I was over there for that year and it was pretty ugly. A lot of pi$$ing between cars and empty beer can sculptures/farms throughout the lot.

the pissing between the cars was bad. The vomiting on the cars & the students passed out between the cars was worse.

Reactions: bac2therac
the pissing between the cars was bad. The vomiting on the cars & the students passed out between the cars was worse.
Around that time, I seem to recall a tailgate where I interrupted some male students who were pouring some kind of drink down the throat of another student who was laying on the ground because she was already so drunk she couldn't stand up. I've done some pretty crazy and stupid stuff when drunk. But never anything quite so malicious.

kids drink...wow, who would have thought that. Kids get drunk and pass out or throw up...wow, who would have thought that

you guys are ridiculous in the holier than though pointing of the fingers

Hell we had tailgates with 20 kegs and 700 cases of beers and no issues.

@mildone agree that example is purely fked up and wrong

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT