ADVERTISEMENT

How do you think Sean Gleesons offense will perform?

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
Now that Coach Schiano is back, I think we all have a pretty good idea of what his defenses look like. Fast, fast, fast is the way Schiano brought Rutgers out of the depths of college football in regards to his defenses. We all long for those days when we could go toe to toe with the best teams in the nation on defense. Our offenses have always been hit or miss. Of course going through 9 OC's in 10 years doesn't help but we had a few good years when Ray Rice, Brian Leonard, Tiquan Underwood, Clark Harris, and Mike Teel. 2006 was our offensive Glory year.
Now we have a new OC in Gleeson. He ran an uptempo spread offense at Princeton where he was able to leverage his personnel to the whomever the opponent they were playing. While I do not think we have the personnel to compete this year with 70% of our division I think this will be a rebuilding year. What do you expect to see from our offense. My expectations are low in that I just want them to be able to move the ball a decent amount. Gleeson is known for using Unconventional formations, such as three QB's on the field at the same time, alignments which cause confusion among defenses. I am very excited to see what Gleeson develops on the offense. I am not looking for a miracle but jsut want to see positive progress. What are you all looking for from our offense this year?

What I really like about Gleeson is he builds his offense around the strengths of the players he has instead of trying to teach the players an offense he brought in. That's exactly what we need. Hopefully it helps protect areas of weakness.

Not expecting a lot of razzle dazzle like Gleason may try when he has a roster full of players that he feels fit his schemes and concepts. I expect heavy doses of Pacheco and possibly finding ways to get Cruickshank in space. He had the leading NCAA rusher last year I believe. It is a shame we lost Blackshear.

In short I think we play generally safe and not stupid. That may mean drinks and dunks and relying on the fastest guys on the field to find the extra yardage opportunities when they happen.

Of course going through 9 OC's in 10 years doesn't help
The legacy of not having enough money to hold onto our assistants. Fortunately Schiano has corrected that this time around.
What do you expect to see from our offense.
The most important thing is to fit the offensive scheme to the existing personnel. Something Wonder Boy had no clue about, and neither did KC and his Sunshine Band.

• Haha
Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
I don’t think it will perform too well. But that is not because of the scheme. Like others said I expect a lot of pachecho. Art has a big arm so I expect a lot of deep shots off play action.

I would be happy if he identifies one QB who belongs on the field rather than worrying about formations requiring three! Seriously its all about finding a competent QB.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I have no idea what to expect From a w/l or scoring perspective but I do know the one thing I want to see happen. For the entire Ash era I was repeatedly upset at the fact that in the overwhelming majority of games, including the OOC games against the likes of Howard, we were not ready to play on either side of the ball. We were down by two or three scores midway thru the first qtr. I expect a Schiano coached team to be ready to play from the start. If we play all nine games and six are over by the end of the first gtr I will by very depressed, disappointed, and upset. All I expect in year one is a serious change in the culture and the preperation.

I have no idea what to expect From a w/l or scoring perspective but I do know the one thing I want to see happen. For the entire Ash era I was repeatedly upset at the fact that in the overwhelming majority of games, including the OOC games against the likes of Howard, we were not ready to play on either side of the ball. We were down by two or three scores midway thru the first qtr. I expect a Schiano coached team to be ready to play from the start. If we play all nine games and six are over by the end of the first gtr I will by very depressed, disappointed, and upset. All I expect in year one is a serious change in the culture and the preperation.
Thats alot to ask considering the depths we are emerging from and the level of competition in the BIG east Div. I just want to see steady progress game by game on both sides of the ball. If we get 2 wins on top of that I am going to consider that a success.

IIRC Jerry Kill was decent at matching our personnel to a style that helped us win, what, 3 B1G games? Not sure Gleeson can get the same results in a shortened league-only schedule but if the effort and heart are there it'll help for the future. I know, effort and heart don't win games but never quitting is a good foundation in Year 1 of Schiano, the Return.

I don’t think it will perform too well. But that is not because of the scheme. Like others said I expect a lot of pachecho. Art has a big arm so I expect a lot of deep shots off play action.

It would be nice if this ended up being the case for Sitkowski or Vedral. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the OL to even try play action very much.

I'm just hoping we do the unexpected and keep the defense guessing as much as possible. That is the only way we score points this year. The "O" line just doesn't have the talent to simply line up and push people around for 60 minutes. Perhaps a drive or two using a conventional offense, but that's it. This will, of course, lead to some give aways and really ugly plays, but it's the only way we win right now.

Winning even 2 games this year would be a success in my book. Three wins and I'm doing cartwheels......

Reactions: RUforester72
IIRC Jerry Kill was decent at matching our personnel to a style that helped us win, what, 3 B1G games? Not sure Gleeson can get the same results in a shortened league-only schedule but if the effort and heart are there it'll help for the future. I know, effort and heart don't win games but never quitting is a good foundation in Year 1 of Schiano, the Return.

Looking back now- I think Kill never really got the credit he deserved for the job he did. Team was far behind on talent and he had to coach with Ash. We took what he was able to get out of that crew for granted.

The legacy of not SPENDING enough money to hold onto our assistants. Fortunately HOBBS AND BARCHI corrected that this time around.

The most important thing is to fit the offensive scheme to the existing personnel. Something Wonder Boy had no clue about, and neither did KC and his Sunshine Band.

FIFY. Remember, Greg was making $2.3 million in 2011 before he left, and Flood was getting paid $700K for his first year as HC. And Flood was given peanuts to hire assistants. His best year (ignoring his first year) was 2014 when he was hired Friedgen at $500K or $600K/year.

Wasn't it HOBBS, BARCHI and THE BOG who had to ultimately approve the assistant salaries?

Reactions: waretown
I'm going to expect 3 and 4 wr sets to spread teams out. Teams are going to play press cover 1, or cover zero, and bring heat against us until our wrs show they can beat press coverage and get open. I am going to expect rbs motioning out of the backfield and lots of wrs motioning across the offense to get separation. I expect crossing routes off of RPOs and deep shots to anyone with speed.

FIFY. Remember, Greg was making $2.3 million in 2011 before he left, and Flood was getting paid $700K for his first year as HC. And Flood was given peanuts to hire assistants. His best year (ignoring his first year) was 2014 when he was hired Friedgen at $500K or $600K/year.

Wasn't it HOBBS, BARCHI and THE BOG who had to ultimately approve the assistant salaries?
Friedgen, was an offensive genius. He got everything he could out of the talent handed to him. I think he saw the writing on the wall regarding the talent decline and decided to retire.

Friedgen, was an offensive genius. He got everything he could out of the talent handed to him. I think he saw the writing on the wall regarding the talent decline and decided to retire.
He wanted revenge on MD for the way they dumped him after all he did for them.

He was their Schiano and they forced him out.

We had good talent that year and Fridge recognized an opportunity to stick it to the turtle.

What I wonder about is the fact that the top two contenders for the QB position have completely different skill sets and an offense built around one wouldn't really generalize to the other one.

Reactions: Knight Shift
What I wonder about is the fact that the top two contenders for the QB position have completely different skill sets and an offense built around one wouldn't really generalize to the other one.
From what I understand the Gleesons talent is using his personnel at QB to max advantage. At Princeton he was able to utilize a drop back passer and a dual threat in successive years.

I'll be happy if whoever the starting QB turns out to be can complete a 5 yard pass on 3rd and 4 instead of a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 10. I'll be ecstatic if the OL improves enough to not get run over in the trenches.

Im hoping that Art holds the clipboard on the sidelines. We’ve got Vedral for two years at QB. Most of us have seen enough of Art to know that others will be better at QB.

Art can continue to Sit, just like he chose to do for us last season.

Reactions: soundcrib
The legacy of not having enough money to hold onto our assistants. Fortunately Schiano has corrected that this time around.

I agree with the "no money" part to an extent but there will always be staff turnover. Everybody wants a raise and most want to be the head guy. And if your guys arent leaving it might be mean nobody wants them.

Look at Alabama. More money than anybody. OCs:
Sarkisian
Sarkisian
Locksley
Daboll
Kiffin

I think Schiano has a good history of finding coaching talent so that's encouraging.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Im hoping that Art holds the clipboard on the sidelines. We’ve got Vedral for two years at QB. Most of us have seen enough of Art to know that others will be better at QB.

Art can continue to Sit, just like he chose to do for us last season.
Throw-away culture. Grass is always greener.

Sitkowski has shown more ability than Nova had showed to the same point.

Keep an open mind. Trust the coaches will choose whoever is best. If they start doing what Flood did.. claim the competition is open when it really wasn't, then hit the panic button.

Throw-away culture. Grass is always greener.

Sitkowski has shown more ability than Nova had showed to the same point.

Keep an open mind. Trust the coaches will choose whoever is best. If they start doing what Flood did.. claim the competition is open when it really wasn't, then hit the panic button.
I thought Sit looked OK against BC.

I'm going to expect 3 and 4 wr sets to spread teams out. Teams are going to play press cover 1, or cover zero, and bring heat against us until our wrs show they can beat press coverage and get open. I am going to expect rbs motioning out of the backfield and lots of wrs motioning across the offense to get separation. I expect crossing routes off of RPOs and deep shots to anyone with speed.
I agree with you completely. The offense can work if the WR's can get separation and catch the ball. Neither was a strength of the WR corps last year.

Looking back now- I think Kill never really got the credit he deserved for the job he did. Team was far behind on talent and he had to coach with Ash. We took what he was able to get out of that crew for granted.

Jerry Kill and more importantly Gus Edwards SAVED Ash's ass in 2017. Without Gus the Bus, Ash would have gone winless in the Big Ten during his entire time here. There is no doubt in my mind.

That Purdue win was one of the luckiest, ugliest wins in my time watching RU Football. Had Gus not broken off the one TD run in the 1st Quarter, Ash may be fired a year earlier.

I agree with you completely. The offense can work if the WR's can get separation and catch the ball. Neither was a strength of the WR corps last year.

It has been a few years since we have seen any production. I am interested to see our QBs perform when we have an ability to actually give them someone to throw the ball to. Teams could brutalize us because we had no ability to get off the jam (scheme wise or individual wise).

Reactions: cicero grimes
IMO We need pass plays designed to be thrown to a spot based on pre-snap reads where no post-snap read is needed.. throw to a spot, expect the receiver to get there.

Sitkowski needs work on looking off defenders and not locking onto one receiver. Plays throwing to a spot are timed.. he can do anything he wants before he throws.. anything except stare down that receiver. And few such plays will require blocking over 3 seconds. We should be able to give him that.

This is Gleeson's O... what little I saw of it. Spread em wide.. look over the matchups.. pick one, with a hot read someplace else, snap the ball and go with it. I have hope.

If that shows success.. the next level is QB seizing the initiative and causing the D to open things up with head and pump fakes where he sees a decent matchup outside and has to move a safety to the other side to release a long ball more safely. If we hit the quick ones well enough they will blitz less, respect us more, get us more time. Just a little bit of success can change everything.

I'll be happy if whoever the starting QB turns out to be can complete a 5 yard pass on 3rd and 4 instead of a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 10. I'll be ecstatic if the OL improves enough to not get run over in the trenches.
I'm with you! We also need receivers who can get open and actually catch the ball.

It has been a few years since we have seen any production. I am interested to see our QBs perform when we have an ability to actually give them someone to throw the ball to. Teams could brutalize us because we had no ability to get off the jam (scheme wise or individual wise).
I thought Art did ok in spots last year. There were games where he put the ball on the money and our guys could not make the catch. Gef can these kids in the wr corps be coached up to concentrate and make catches and get open or is the talent disparity to great and we need an influx of better players at the position?

I thought Art did ok in spots last year. There were games where he put the ball on the money and our guys could not make the catch. Gef can these kids in the wr corps be coached up to concentrate and make catches and get open or is the talent disparity to great and we need an influx of better players at the position?
There are a lot of WRs in that room now operating under new coaches and in a new scheme. I think the potential is there for success if play calling and systems are designed for the kids to have success.

IMO We need pass plays designed to be thrown to a spot based on pre-snap reads where no post-snap read is needed.. throw to a spot, expect the receiver to get there.

Sitkowski needs work on looking off defenders and not locking onto one receiver. Plays throwing to a spot are timed.. he can do anything he wants before he throws.. anything except stare down that receiver. And few such plays will require blocking over 3 seconds. We should be able to give him that.

This is Gleeson's O... what little I saw of it. Spread em wide.. look over the matchups.. pick one, with a hot read someplace else, snap the ball and go with it. I have hope.

If that shows success.. the next level is QB seizing the initiative and causing the D to open things up with head and pump fakes where he sees a decent matchup outside and has to move a safety to the other side to release a long ball more safely. If we hit the quick ones well enough they will blitz less, respect us more, get us more time. Just a little bit of success can change everything.
I've said it often here...KISS.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
With the number of people hired, it's unlikely that everyone is going to be a fit. Gleeson is the one that I hope is a homerun. We know Greg can manage the defense, and it will accelerate the turnaround if the offense is good at the top.

We have legit speed with Melton, Cruschiank Pacheco, Aaron Young. Get them in space. If Vedral is starting and we have a legit dual threat qb, that adds a while new dimension to our offense that we haven't had in years. If ever.

The performance of the OLine will determine our success on offense but the past few years the qb had the ball in their hand way too long. Give the OLine a chance by putting it in a playmakers hand as soon as possible.

Reactions: RUBOB72
With the number of people hired, it's unlikely that everyone is going to be a fit. Gleeson is the one that I hope is a homerun. We know Greg can manage the defense, and it will accelerate the turnaround if the offense is good at the top.
Greg hired them. THEY WILL BE FINE.

We have no idea what we will look like on offense and either does MSU. Hopefully we can use that to our advantage to pull the upset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT