ADVERTISEMENT

How lucky is Kyle Flood?

ScarletNut

All American
Jul 27, 2001
How lucky is Kyle Flood? Fired from Rutgers for doing a shitty job, gets assistant line coach for Super Bowl Falcons, goes to Alabama for their national championship team and now coaches OL for Texas vying for another national championship

How lucky is Kyle Flood? Fired from Rutgers for doing a shitty job, gets assistant line coach for Super Bowl Falcons, goes to Alabama for their national championship team and now coaches OL for Texas vying for another national championship
He made friends with Sarkisian in Atlanta and that’s what’s done it. Not that he’s a bad OL coach but as they say it’s not always what you know but who you know and you know pretty much all coaches tap their former colleagues for positions.

He’s the Texas offensive coordinator. He’s obviously a good assistant coach.
As a head coach , well one legendary poster here coined the term “flood is a dud .”
He’s the OC in name but the play caller and the one who is credited for Texas’ offense is Sarkisian.

He’s not the only one though. Another example Bill Bedembaugh had the OC title at OU when Riley was there too but who was calling the plays and thought of as the guy running the offense? Riley.

He’s the Texas offensive coordinator. He’s obviously a good assistant coach.
As a head coach , well one legendary poster here coined the term “flood is a dud .”
The continued hatred of a guy who was foisted into a position he was not ready for because the guy who was boss left in a flash and took everybody else with him, was swimming against the tide with lack of Rutgers support and fan support and an incompetent diversity hire of an an AD who only further hamstrung him is puzzling. The guy was justifiably fired over 8 years ago. Cut it the F loose already. Sheesh.

As you said, he's a solid assistant coach. And will say this much, when he had a solid OC running the offense, his team put up some offensive numbers (26.7 (2014) and 27.1 (2015) points per game) Rutgers has not seen since his firing, except for the covid year. 🤷‍♂️

How lucky is Kyle Flood? Fired from Rutgers because Greg led the school on and then left at the last minute and the AD had no plan in place and the school didn't support him like head coach should be supported for doing a shitty job, gets assistant line coach for Super Bowl Falcons, goes to Alabama for their national championship team and now coaches OL for Texas vying for another national championship
fixed it

Kyle bleeds scarlet, not sure what your obsession with him is but it's odd

Both Flood and Ash are quality assistant coaches. Head coaches were a entirely different story.
right
neither should have been put in the position to fail in the first place. one needs to examine what led to their hiring as that is where the blame should lay

The continued hatred of a guy who was foisted into a position he was not ready for because the guy who was boss left in a flash and took everybody else with him, was swimming against the tide with lack of Rutgers support and fan support and an incompetent diversity hire of an an AD who only further hamstrung him is puzzling. The guy was justifiably fired over 8 years ago. Cut it the F loose already. Sheesh.

As you said, he's a solid assistant coach. And will say this much, when he had a solid OC running the offense, his team put up some offensive numbers (26.7 (2014) and 27.1 (2015) points per game) Rutgers has not seen since his firing, except for the covid year. 🤷‍♂️
don't agree with you often but with respect to Flood, you are on point!

Reactions: RUDiddy777
It’s relevant because he’s involved in the current CFP. Schiano took almost the whole staff with him to Tampa Bay. If he was that good why did t he take him too?
your view is 100% wrong on him and the whole affair has been discussed so many times it's not worth going into it.

you want to be pissed, be pissed where it belongs' the school, Pernetti, and Greg cause those fkers screwed us

Reactions: RU24 and Zimm80
He made friends with Sarkisian in Atlanta and that’s what’s done it. Not that he’s a bad OL coach but as they say it’s not always what you know but who you know and you know pretty much all coaches tap their former colleagues for positions.
He is the offensive coordinator . sure , hook up a buddy for quality control . But not OC

He is the offensive coordinator . sure , hook up a buddy for quality control . But not OC
Ash hooked up Buh as DC here and he was a coach with a lousy track record as DC. That’s what coaches do, mostly stick with other coaches they have history with and occasional forays outside of that bubble.

He’s the OL coach. When I see him with the playcall sheet calling plays in then I’ll say yes he’s the OC.

It’s relevant because he’s involved in the current CFP. Schiano took almost the whole staff with him to Tampa Bay. If he was that good why did t he take him too?
Because Schiano was able to get Bob Bostad to leave Wisconsin to be Tampa's OL coach
Flood was a good OL coach but Bostad was considered a real good one that made the Badgers OL very respected.

Reactions: Zimm80
Our ol during flood period was stacked talent wise.

Flood was an abysmal ceo Never got the sense he was near a top flight intellect fwiw
top flight intellect? are you suggesting you need to be or have top flight intellect to coach? I got news for you, most of these coaches couldn't spell mensa much less join it

top flight intellect? are you suggesting you need to be or have top flight intellect to coach? I got news for you, most of these coaches couldn't spell mensa much less join it
Following college, Flood taught mathematics for four years at St. Francis Prep inNew York.
Kyle might not be all that dumb, just wasn't ready to run a major college football program and it showed.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
True was a nice way of saying hes not too swift

Think saban harbaugh schiano and a number of others bright and very capable. But yes many are not

Following college, Flood taught mathematics for four years at St. Francis Prep inNew York.
Kyle might not be all that dumb, just wasn't ready to run a major college football program and it showed.
Flood never struck me as lacking intelligence. The whole premise that @ru-baby went for is completely wrong and doesn't even belong in the discussion. If he thought that on Flood, I wonder what he thinks about Greg

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Flood never struck me as lacking intelligence. The whole premise that @ru-baby went for is completely wrong and doesn't even belong in the discussion. If he thought that on Flood, I wonder what he thinks about Greg
Actually I feel Greg is highly intelligent, you don't survive in the coaching ranks being a dummy.
Greg's fault is he tends to micro manage game strategy and that hurts the offensive end of game.
Kyle seemed more prone to delegate game strategy and if his coordinators were good, team played well.
Recruiting wasn't a strong for Flood , in my opinion ( which shouldn't be considered even close to expert)

Just to cool things down, I was just trying to comment on how fortunate Flood's career turned out after trashing Rutgers' program.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
He's a great coach. Just can't handle the management aspect of a whole team.

He was actually a very nice guy who supported the community. Some of our fans really know little. From special Olympics , to supporting police and firemen and a caring guy who was a true blue collar NYer from Queens.

True was a nice way of saying hes not too swift

Think saban harbaugh schiano and a number of others bright and very capable. But yes many are not
Different types of intelligence and skill sets. One can be the most intelligent person in the room and be the worst leader in the room at the same time. Have seen this too many times.
Actually I feel Greg is highly intelligent, you don't survive in the coaching ranks being a dummy.
Greg's fault is he tends to micro manage game strategy and that hurts the offensive end of game.
Kyle seemed more prone to delegate game strategy and if his coordinators were good, team played well.
Recruiting wasn't a strong for Flood , in my opinion ( which shouldn't be considered even close to expert)
Agree, but different forms of intelligence. Flood was not a great leader. He let the atmosphere get way to loose as evidenced by multiple off field problems.
Just to cool things down, I was just trying to comment on how fortunate Flood's career turned out after trashing Rutgers' program.
You are making it worse. He did not "trash" the program. One could make the case that the BOG, Barchi and Julie Hermann did a LOT more to trash the program and athletics. See the Mike Rice fiasco and the multiple screw ups by Hermann, who from day 1 was working to get Flood fired. To make matters worse, Barchi did not give two craps about athletics until it became too great of an embarrassment for the entire University.
Cooling things down? Like putting out fires with gasoline
Yup, see above.

Reactions: Dpgru and RUTGERS95
Didn’t read the rest of the thread but unless you live under a rock- Flood was named HC of Rutgers with the recommendation of GS before GS came back to steal the rest of the staff…

Different types of intelligence and skill sets. One can be the most intelligent person in the room and be the worst leader in the room at the same time. Have seen this too many times.

Agree, but different forms of intelligence. Flood was not a great leader. He let the atmosphere get way to loose as evidenced by multiple off field problems.

You are making it worse. He did not "trash" the program. One could make the case that the BOG, Barchi and Julie Hermann did a LOT more to trash the program and athletics. See the Mike Rice fiasco and the multiple screw ups by Hermann, who from day 1 was working to get Flood fired. To make matters worse, Barchi did not give two craps about athletics until it became too great of an embarrassment for the entire University.

Yup, see above.
rolling!

He was actually a very nice guy who supported the community. Some of our fans really know little. From special Olympics , to supporting police and firemen and a caring guy who was a true blue collar NYer from Queens.
Yes, just was in over his head at day 1. Barchi and the BOG were happy to pinch pennies, pay him $700K (or thereabouts) when Schiano was making more than 4X that amount, and to make matters worse, to give him a pittance to hire coordinators and coaches. Maybe some minimal investments were made, but remember what Ash and Hobbs said when Ash was hired about the state of RU's football facilities, namely the practice field. It's funny how people forget all that and pile all of the blame on one person. On some level, while I would not do the same, one could understand why he did not work as hard as Greg. But you are correct, his heart was in the right place and he did a lot of things outside of coaching that people forget.

He's making 1.25 mil this year. I wish I could fail like him
He's set up to make a lot more- this quote is going to make some of the haters upset:

"Flood, an essential voice on Texas' recruiting trail, agreed to terms on a two-year extension through 2026. His salary will expand by 6 percent, rising to $1.33 million in 2024 and $1.4 million in 2025."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT