ADVERTISEMENT

How lucky is Kyle Flood?

It was actually about 1/3 of the money, and you get what you pay for applied. during Flood's tenure.

"Schiano left Rutgers in 2012, and in 2011, he was making $2.3 million, according to USA Today's history of compensation. Kyle Flood replaced him at a salary of $760,000, which increased every year until Chris Ash took over in 2016, making $2 million. The price for Schiano, when he returned, went up to $3.8 million."

Also, very little was provided for assistant coaches and coordinators, and not sure any money at all was used to improve football facilities, from a NJ.com article. It's funny that people sacked Flood for being a lousy recruiter. Lazy recruiter-probably. But what did he have to sell against other programs? This:

"The new athletic director and the even newer football coach stood at a window here in December 2015, looked out at fields with crooked wooden light stanchions and shipping containers for equipment storage, and asked each other the same question:
"What is that?"
The answer was not something that either man, athletic director Patrick Hobbs and his coach Chris Ash, wanted to comprehend. They were looking at the practice fields for a Big Ten program, complete with lousy-to-nonexistent irrigation and lights that, they were told, "catch fire on occasion."

Those fields were more than just a place to work on tackling and blocking. They were the first thing most visitors to campus on a Saturday afternoon would see -- including, of course, the fickle high school recruits who are greeted with NFL-quality training complexes at most other top programs."

Blaming Flood for recruiting is like blaming your spouse/partner for being a lousy cook when the kitchen cupboards are bare and the only thing to cook on is a hot plate that catches fire on occasion. No wonder Flood had to cut corners, wear disguises to get his best player's grade changed, etc.

I understand that the practice facilities were crappy but Schiano recruited pretty well with those facilities.

...did Flood ever beat 3 P5 teams that finished the season with a winning record in the same year? People rail on Schiano for 'beating bad teams' and 'beating teams in turmoil' and yet revel in that 2012 Arkansas win like Petrino had left to go volunteer for Greenpeace, John L. Smith was Lombardi and Arkansas didn't lose to ULM the week before on their way to a 4-8 season...and when we play a 4-8/3-9 SEC team and/or a 5-win Michigan team with Schiano as HC we'll see what happens...and in terms of 'doing things we won't see Greg do', you're probably right; I doubt Schiano will go to the Princeton Library to meet with a Dance Appreciation TA or send an email that states, 'I'm sending this from a personal email to circumvent request laws'.

...Flood certainly wasn't the worst HC ever but this whole 'funhouse mirror' prop-up of his time here is beyond weird to me.

Joe P.
he did great with Greg's players, that is irrefutable and it's a direct comparison given the circumstance

you'all can hate on him but he's not bad and he doesn't deserve nearly the animosity directed at him. As I've said, blame Greg, AD, and school long before him

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I understand that the practice facilities were crappy but Schiano recruited pretty well with those facilities.
That's a fair point. But Greg had the glory of the 2006 season and 11 years of traction. Flood was a new commodity and had to establish himself. Flood's first class had Nadir Barnwell, Janarion Grant, Andre Patton, Cioffi, Laviano, Sebastian Joseph, and Kemoko Turay, all solid players.

Flood had a three-ring circus going on around him that Greg did not have to deal with. First their was the Mike Rice Fiasco and the firing of Pernetti. That was followed by the hiring of Julie Hermann who brought nothing but a nonstop newsreel to Rutgers with a constant stream of negative press. Kind of hard to recruit with all that crap going on.

Me neither.

Nope, not ringing any bells.
Don't care.
Forgot all the times I was right, but I'm sure I was wrong many more times than I like to admit

As for Flood, in my opinion , he just wasn't ready to be a HC on his own, but letting his coordinators do the heavy lifting made him look like he was pretty good.
Delegating responsibility was a strength that helped Kyle look good .
Flood wasn't a strong leader and that was his downfall.

Last edited:
That's a fair point. But Greg had the glory of the 2006 season and 11 years of traction. Flood was a new commodity and had to establish himself. Flood's first class had Nadir Barnwell, Janarion Grant, Andre Patton, Cioffi, Laviano, Sebastian Joseph, and Kemoko Turay, all solid players.

Flood had a three-ring circus going on around him that Greg did not have to deal with. First there was the Mike Rice Fiasco and the firing of Pernetti. That was followed by the hiring of Julie Hermann who brought nothing but a nonstop newsreel to Rutgers with a constant stream of negative press. Kind of hard to recruit with all that crap going on.
Greg's "11 years of traction" didn't happen by osmosis; he put in grueling work when we were an absolute national laughingstock and hardly anyone wanted to come play here. Flood definitely had obstacles (many not his fault whatsoever) but he didn't have to recruit Rutgers coming off 11-44 and being a joke punchline (which Schiano has now done twice).

Joe P.

Flood had a three-ring circus going on around him that Greg did not have to deal with. First their was the Mike Rice Fiasco and the firing of Pernetti. That was followed by the hiring of Julie Hermann who brought nothing but a nonstop newsreel to Rutgers with a constant stream of negative press. Kind of hard to recruit with all that crap going on.
We were playing in a different arena. We were not in the B1G and not about to join the B1G. Rutgers was on par or better than the rest of the BE facilities at that time.

Greg's "11 years of traction" didn't happen by osmosis; he put in grueling work when we were an absolute national laughingstock and hardly anyone wanted to come play here. Flood definitely had obstacles (many not his fault whatsoever) but he didn't have to recruit Rutgers coming off 11-44 and being a joke punchline (which Schiano has now done twice).

Joe P.
True. The other difference, which has not been stated, is Greg is a true alpha, and he is a great salesman. Flood is a very nice guy, but not an alpha, and not a great salesman. Taking that a step further, Ash was a total zero, and that's an insult to zeroes. On second thought, Ash was a negative number. Rutgers HC slide from an alpha, great salesman into the abyss. We are lucky that Greg came back.

True. The other difference, which has not been stated, is Greg is a true alpha, and he is a great salesman. Flood is a very nice guy, but not an alpha, and not a great salesman. Taking that a step further, Ash was a total zero, and that's an insult to zeroes. On second thought, Ash was a negative number. Rutgers HC slide from an alpha, great salesman into the abyss. We are lucky that Greg came back.
I think Flood is perhaps the 'ultimate' assistant coach/ associate head coach, especially for a personality like Schiano (or Saban, etc.). He knows his stuff, cares about the kids and is personable/approachable. He might be able to be a G5 HC in a place with a relatively well-established structure and good coordinators...I'm sure Ash knows his stuff too in terms of football but he's a position coach with a demeanor that can be very off-putting and seems to lack program contextual awareness; I can't see him being a HC anywhere on the FBS level. Ash reminded me of the tax collector guy from the Popeye movie with Robin Williams; he was probably good at collecting taxes but he seem oddly abrasive and would have made a terrible mayor.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Actually I feel Greg is highly intelligent, you don't survive in the coaching ranks being a dummy.
Greg's fault is he tends to micro manage game strategy and that hurts the offensive end of game.
Kyle seemed more prone to delegate game strategy and if his coordinators were good, team played well.
Recruiting wasn't a strong for Flood , in my opinion ( which shouldn't be considered even close to expert)

I think where he was recruiting to was the challenge - it’s not like we were a destination. He’s been an elite recruiter everywhere else. As Knight shift pointed out, the entire thing was set to implode after the 2012 season - big gap in DB recruiting from Greg, the whole Rice fiasco, Julie, etc. Had a top 25 class until the season fell apart and it was not a secret Julie was trying to run him out of town.

I think Flood is perhaps the 'ultimate' assistant coach/ associate head coach, especially for a personality like Schiano (or Saban, etc.). He knows his stuff, cares about the kids and is personable/approachable. He might be able to be a G5 HC in a place with a relatively well-established structure and good coordinators...I'm sure Ash knows his stuff too in terms of football but he's a position coach with a demeanor that can be very off-putting and seems to lack program contextual awareness; I can't see him being a HC anywhere on the FBS level. Ash reminded me of the tax collector guy from the Popeye movie with Robin Williams; he was probably good at collecting taxes but he seem oddly abrasive and would have made a terrible mayor.

Joe P.
You nailed it very well there.

I think we have the best O line now. When he was coach, we were off side quite a lot and we couldn't run it in under 5 yards,
I don't see how it's close. Davis, Zuttah, Stapleton, Haslam all NFL guys - Davis a 1st rounder. The improvement this year has been great but those lines had some great talent and coaching. And that's not even mentioning Sosa, Fladell, Cam Stephenson, Ryan B....

Reactions: mdk01
I just got a call from this guy and he is freaking pissed at you for your Ash comment. Spitting nails was his exact words.

300px-Billy_Corgan_ZERO_shirt_MCIS.png

Speaking of negative numbers, Julie Hermann says hold my beer.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I don't see how it's close. Davis, Zuttah, Stapleton, Haslam all NFL guys - Davis a 1st rounder. The improvement this year has been great but those lines had some great talent and coaching. And that's not even mentioning Sosa, Fladell, Cam Stephenson, Ryan B....
And all were so well coached. I am starting to see the same type of coaching with Fiz, but the talent level isn’t quite the same.

And all were so well coached. I am starting to see the same type of coaching with Fiz, but the talent level isn’t quite the same.
I'm very impressed with the line and what was done with them this year. no question about their development and production and especially so when you consider that, as stated, they don't have the talent of the 06-09 team.

great job all around; coaches AND the kids

I'm very impressed with the line and what was done with them this year. no question about their development and production and especially so when you consider that, as stated, they don't have the talent of the 06-09 team.

great job all around; coaches AND the kids
Agree 100%. I think Pierce gets a good hard look at the next level because of this too. I give the kid so much credit for what he has done with his body and how hard he works. But learning from a coach like this is what really changed him. Pad level, more bend, and just the confidence he played with this year.
I have also seen this OL just work together so well into the 2nd level and finishing plays after the whistle.

Flood is almost as lucky as Terry Shea.

How that man got a job in football after his stint at Rutgers is a mystery to me.

How that man got a job in football after his stint at Rutgers is a mystery to me.

That's easy. Shea is as good, if not better, a QB coach as Flood is an OL coach. And if you look at his post Rutgers employment that becomes obvious. Around the time of his hiring by Rutgers, his summer QB camp (before the Manning's camp) was considered the best in the nation. That's how he got Mike McMahon to Rutgers. Another example of the Peter Principal.

Shea was actually a very good QB coach and a pretty good offensive coach overall. His problem at RU was a lack of talent. That was what did him in. He had a winning record at San Jose State and won a bowl game there.

That's easy. Shea is as good, if not better, a QB coach as Flood is an OL coach. And if you look at his post Rutgers employment that becomes obvious. Around the time of his hiring by Rutgers, his summer QB camp (before the Manning's camp) was considered the best in the nation. That's how he got Mike McMahon to Rutgers. Another example of the Peter Principal.
Obvious? Flood coached at the best program in the nation and now a “Final Four” program. Flood won a bowl game at RU.
Think both were better than given credit.

tenor.gif
don't agree with you often but with respect to Flood, you are on point!
Flood destroyed the Rutgers offense left us by CvS.. then he destroyed the legacy of what Schiano left us by trying to put his stamp on things everywhere to prove how different he was. Flood has earned any bad feelings Rutgers fans have regarding him.

Flood destroyed the Rutgers offense left us by CvS.. then he destroyed the legacy of what Schiano left us by trying to put his stamp on things everywhere to prove how different he was. Flood has earned any bad feelings Rutgers fans have regarding him.

Flood was a good guy/coach but his demeanor was too much like a happy lab slobbering all over. He wanted to be buds with the players like the parents who buy kegs for their HS kids parties because (they say) its safer if they drink at home.

I once subbed despite zero classroom background, and I assumed being nice to the kids was good way to go - big mistake. There are guys that see an easy-going nature as enticement to go off the hook. Right away I knew Flood would eventually crash. He's a good staff coach when someone else is the daddy

Ummm- he was left with a horrible offense. That is why going ball control was the only way to go and let the defense win games.
As for the other stuff- I think he tried to hard @not” to put his stamp on it.
Ash is the one who killed the “program”

we'll have to agree to disagree

Not really sure why you think Flood cared about "putting his stamp on things". Did Flood actually say he was doing that?

Anyway, I have zero bad feelings about Flood or Ash. They tried and failed. In sports, that happens more often than not.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Not really sure why you think Flood cared about "putting his stamp on things". Did Flood actually say he was doing that?

Anyway, I have zero bad feelings about Flood or Ash. They tried and failed. In sports, that happens more often than not.
I actually do have an issue with Ash. He came in here and really just really just crapped on Rutgers, NJ, the players etc. and then did nothing

Schiano most all of the Rutgers coaches with him to Tampa one week before NSD in February, leaving Flood not much to choose from for his staff.

And you can talk about “legacy” but Flood did the one thing Schiano never did: win a piece of a conference championship.

And he’s done a hell of a job at Bama and Texas than what Schiano did at OSU.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Ummm- he was left with a horrible offense. That is why going ball control was the only way to go and let the defense win games.
As for the other stuff- I think he tried to hard @not” to put his stamp on it.
Ash is the one who killed the “program”
i refer to his 2-year stint as co-OC alonside our current OC.. Flood in charge of the run game. We had a lousy system of deep handoffs to a motionless RB waiting 7 yards deep or trying to pass off that "fake" without the being able to see the rush or field... insanity.

then he destroyed the legacy of what Schiano left us by trying to put his stamp on things everywhere to prove how different he was.
Yep hated that while seeing it in real time.

And as many times as its been said the disguise bit cant be overstated in its utter ineptness and level of embarrassing behavior.

i refer to his 2-year stint as co-OC alonside our current OC.. Flood in charge of the run game. We had a lousy system of deep handoffs to a motionless RB waiting 7 yards deep or trying to pass off that "fake" without the being able to see the rush or field... insanity.
As I mentioned, none of that was him. All of these things, CO-OC, lead recruiter…nothing changed in his actual duties on a day to day basis. Even as lead recruiter- Greg was the one who had the plan and told Flood to execute it and then, Flood still had to get the GS stamp.
Run game…he didn’t design it, Flood was a smash mouth type coach running the OL that was designed to run it down your throat.
The 2010 season on the OL, you could see it coming. And again- the prior recruiting plans were Greg’s. To have classes that only bring in 1 OL- crazy.
Flood obviously had faults. He also wasn’t ready.
The almost fired, Head of recruiting, Co-OC, left here by GS because he didn’t want him?
Everyone should just erase those narratives out of their heads.

Reactions: mdk01 and RUTGERS95
Schiano most all of the Rutgers coaches with him to Tampa one week before NSD in February, leaving Flood not much to choose from for his staff.

And you can talk about “legacy” but Flood did the one thing Schiano never did: win a piece of a conference championship.

And he’s done a hell of a job at Bama and Texas than what Schiano did at OSU.
I think Flood gets excessively dumped on and we had some good moments during his time as HC. That noted, I'm not a fan of non-contextual statements like the 'Flood won a conference title; Schiano never did' without providing the backdrop of 'WVU was replaced by Temple in 2012 and Rutgers was 5-2 in conference play, the same conference record as the '06 and '08 teams'. Does anyone seriously think that if Schiano's teams got to play against a Big East that featured Temple instead of WVU we wouldn't have won a few more conference titles? 2006 and 2008 alone would have been championship years (and probably 2011 as well).

Joe P.

I think Flood gets excessively dumped on and we had some good moments during his time as HC. That noted, I'm not a fan of non-contextual statements like the 'Flood won a conference title; Schiano never did' without providing the backdrop of 'WVU was replaced by Temple in 2012 and Rutgers was 5-2 in conference play, the same conference record as the '06 and '08 teams'. Does anyone seriously think that if Schiano's teams got to play against a Big East that featured Temple instead of WVU we wouldn't have won a few more conference titles? 2006 and 2008 alone would have been championship years (and probably 2011 as well).

Joe P.
Agree with this. Also, the GS teams just had bad timing. I see people refer to how even UConn was able to win a CC.
And it was at 5-2 but the GS 1.0 teams went 5-2 twice…just the wrong years.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Shea was actually a very good QB coach and a pretty good offensive coach overall. His problem at RU was a lack of talent. That was what did him in. He had a winning record at San Jose State and won a bowl game there.
Exactly. Shea was Bill Walsh's protege and has been a professional QB coach for decades. As a QB coach he's one of the best ever, hence his long resume in both the NFL and college.

Joe P.
He had years to catch up to WV and take over the conference after Miami and Va Tech left the conference. Hell, Cincinnati did more with less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT