ADVERTISEMENT

How lucky is Kyle Flood?

He had years to catch up to WV and take over the conference after Miami and Va Tech left the conference. Hell, Cincinnati did more with less.

I’ll qualify this by saying I’m happy Greg is back and think he’s a fantastic coach, person and program builder.

But it’s totally dishonest to not acknowledge the lucky breaks he caught - like the top 3 schools in the Big East leaving and Cuse firing its head coach and a Heisman candidate running back landing in his lap - do we really go 11-2 in 06 without counting on Ray to put up 170 and 2 TDs a game like clockwork. He also had the support of the athletic department and the state government.

he did great with Greg's players, that is irrefutable and it's a direct comparison given the circumstance

you'all can hate on him but he's not bad and he doesn't deserve nearly the animosity directed at him. As I've said, blame Greg, AD, and school long before him
Did he do great ? Massively underachieved in 2012. 2013 and 2015 were complete train wrecks.
3 of his 4 seasons were huge disappointments

Reactions: ScarletNut
As I mentioned, none of that was him. All of these things, CO-OC, lead recruiter…nothing changed in his actual duties on a day to day basis. Even as lead recruiter- Greg was the one who had the plan and told Flood to execute it and then, Flood still had to get the GS stamp.
Run game…he didn’t design it, Flood was a smash mouth type coach running the OL that was designed to run it down your throat.
The 2010 season on the OL, you could see it coming. And again- the prior recruiting plans were Greg’s. To have classes that only bring in 1 OL- crazy.
Flood obviously had faults. He also wasn’t ready.
The almost fired, Head of recruiting, Co-OC, left here by GS because he didn’t want him?
Everyone should just erase those narratives out of their heads.
baloney... yes.. GS shares blame as HC.. ultimately it was his responsibility.. but again, with Gleason in GS2.0 and with Cubit in GS1.0, we see cases where GS just gives the OC (or CO-OCs) too much rope.

Ciarocca was Flood's Co-OC. We see that Ciarocca did okay in Minnesota and has improved the offense here during GS2.0. So, I think this adds evidence to Flood being the problem back in 2009-2010 when he was co-OC with Ciarocca.

But, yeah, Schiano doesn't seem to be of much help where it comes to offense. In GS1.0 he lost a good OC he found.. McNulty to the NFL as a WR coach at Arizona. And maybe it was Rutgers issue in being able to afford a decent OC that led us to that co-OC debacle. And the conference situation didn't help in recruiting players or coaches.

But still.. that schmystem that Flood was co-OC for.. just SUCKED. And then he compounds that with abandoning all GS's best workings. We were far worse off after Flood. Hell, for all I know he did worse than Ash in tearing down the program because of where he started compared to Ash.

baloney... yes.. GS shares blame as HC.. ultimately it was his responsibility.. but again, with Gleason in GS2.0 and with Cubit in GS1.0, we see cases where GS just gives the OC (or CO-OCs) too much rope.

Ciarocca was Flood's Co-OC. We see that Ciarocca did okay in Minnesota and has improved the offense here during GS2.0. So, I think this adds evidence to Flood being the problem back in 2009-2010 when he was co-OC with Ciarocca.

But, yeah, Schiano doesn't seem to be of much help where it comes to offense. In GS1.0 he lost a good OC he found.. McNulty to the NFL as a WR coach at Arizona. And maybe it was Rutgers issue in being able to afford a decent OC that led us to that co-OC debacle. And the conference situation didn't help in recruiting players or coaches.

But still.. that schmystem that Flood was co-OC for.. just SUCKED. And then he compounds that with abandoning all GS's best workings. We were far worse off after Flood. Hell, for all I know he did worse than Ash in tearing down the program because of where he started compared to Ash.
Well, in 09…while at diner at Steakhouse 85 with the entire OL- I asked them how Flood was doing as Co-OC…they all laughed and said he is doing the same thing as 08/07/06- just coaching us.
If you want to believe something from different sources…I got nothing to discuss

I’ll qualify this by saying I’m happy Greg is back and think he’s a fantastic coach, person and program builder.

But it’s totally dishonest to not acknowledge the lucky breaks he caught - like the top 3 schools in the Big East leaving and Cuse firing its head coach and a Heisman candidate running back landing in his lap - do we really go 11-2 in 06 without counting on Ray to put up 170 and 2 TDs a game like clockwork. He also had the support of the athletic department and the state government.
What did Rice do in those first 5 games in 2006? Why doesn't anyone seem to remember how mightily the offense struggled until.. what was it.. the second half of game 5 at USF? We were 4-0 strictly based on defense... GS' defense.. which he had invested in since the day he arrived. We lost games we easily could have won because GS was training the defense to play as it would need to to beat good teams. UNH might have not been one of those because of the pure genius of the OC (Chip Kelly).. but Buffa-Nova? We could have shifted toa straight-up read-react defense and won those games. Instead, GS kept his D shifting, stunting, blitzing despite the ball being out in 3 seconds and so on. The 80-7 vs WVU.. GS didn't care about the final score back then.. just cared to train his defense.. and it paid off in future years.

The Big East kept doing well in its OOC and bowl games despite all the defections. And before the defections, the toughest games for the future-defectors were all in-conference. This idea that the Big East was easy and that's why GS eventually won games is just silly. We beat a number 3 and a number 2 in successive years. Not number 3 and 2 in a downtrodden Big East.. number 3 and 2 in the nation because of what they and the Big East did in their OOC games.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Well, in 09…while at diner at Steakhouse 85 with the entire OL- I asked them how Flood was doing as Co-OC…they all laughed and said he is doing the same thing as 08/07/06- just coaching us.
If you want to believe something from different sources…I got nothing to discuss
You sure this wasn't at Subway?

On your side of things I have to say that seeing us run into obvious run-blitz 8 and even 9 shading the box in some games this year.. including Miami in the Pinstripe.. does not really speak to an OC genius calling plays.

But even if true.. then that's on Flood, right? He has the title.. the responsibility.. the plan was not working in the Syracuse game in 2009 and then thru most of 2010. He was responsible for making it work when he accepted the title.

Last edited:
Did he do great ? Massively underachieved in 2012. 2013 and 2015 were complete train wrecks.
3 of his 4 seasons were huge disappointments
he won the conf with Greg's kids. Did Greg do that?
was a bad call from winning the orange, Greg wouldn't of had us there

yeah he did great given he has zero support, undermined internally, had to follow Greg (not easy) and more

the hate for him is surreal considering it SHOULD be directed at Greg and the school.

Reactions: tico brown
wow.. the hate for greg is strong.

GS was a bad call at WVU away from winning the conference outright and going to a BCS bowl.. but.. with better recruits due to what Greg built, you would have us believe GS could not have done what Flood did...

..and you're right. GS would not have pissed away what he had built like Flood did.

BTW.. WTH does this mean? "was a bad call from winning the orange, Greg wouldn't of had us there"

We were never in the Orange Bowl.. wth?

Last edited:

yeah he did great given he has zero support, undermined internally, had to follow Greg (not easy) and more

the hate for him is surreal considering it SHOULD be directed at Greg and the school.
So you would prefer Flood 2.0 here instead of Schiano 2.0??

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
wow.. the hate for greg is strong.

GS was a bad call at WVU away from winning the conference outright and going to a BCS bowl.. but.. with better recruits due to what Greg built, you would have us believe GS could not have done what Flood did...

..and you're right. GS would not have pissed away what he had built like Flood did.

BTW.. WTH does this mean? "was a bad call from winning the orange, Greg wouldn't of had us there"

We were never in the Orange Bowl.. wth?
lol at hate.
realistic among the denialism

What did Rice do in those first 5 games in 2006? Why doesn't anyone seem to remember how mightily the offense struggled until.. what was it.. the second half of game 5 at USF? We were 4-0 strictly based on defense... GS' defense.. which he had invested in since the day he arrived. We lost games we easily could have won because GS was training the defense to play as it would need to to beat good teams. UNH might have not been one of those because of the pure genius of the OC (Chip Kelly).. but Buffa-Nova? We could have shifted toa straight-up read-react defense and won those games. Instead, GS kept his D shifting, stunting, blitzing despite the ball being out in 3 seconds and so on. The 80-7 vs WVU.. GS didn't care about the final score back then.. just cared to train his defense.. and it paid off in future years.

The Big East kept doing well in its OOC and bowl games despite all the defections. And before the defections, the toughest games for the future-defectors were all in-conference. This idea that the Big East was easy and that's why GS eventually won games is just silly. We beat a number 3 and a number 2 in successive years. Not number 3 and 2 in a downtrodden Big East.. number 3 and 2 in the nation because of what they and the Big East did in their OOC games.

Not really sure what your point is.

Ray Rice 2006
UNC Game 1: 200 yards and 3 TDs
Illinois Game 2: 108 and 1 TD
Ohio Game 3: 190 and 2 TD
Howard Game 4: 105 and 3 TDs
USF Game 5: 202 and 2 TDs (that’s the game you referenced where it was all defense)
Navy Game 6: 93 yards (rested - 34-0 blowout of Navy)
Pitt Game 7: 202 yards and 1 TD
UCONN Game 8: 79 and 1 TD (this was the foot injury game)
Louisville Game 9: 131 and 2 TDs
Cincinnati Game 10: 54 and 1 TD (we all remember this debacle)
Cuse: 107 and 1 TD
WVU: 129 and 2 TDs
KState: 170 and 1 TD.

20 TDs and 1800 yards.
And this was Teels first season and put up Gavin stats. Ray was the focus of the opposing defenses. You seriously think we go 11-2 without Ray? That’s a 7-6 or 8-5 team at best without Ray. Good, not historic.

You sure this wasn't at Subway?

On your side of things I have to say that seeing us run into obvious run-blitz 8 and even 9 shading the box in some games this year.. including Miami in the Pinstripe.. does not really speak to an OC genius calling plays.

But even if true.. then that's on Flood, right? He has the title.. the responsibility.. the plan was not working in the Syracuse game in 2009 and then thru most of 2010. He was responsible for making it work when he accepted the title.
He was OC in title only- everything you just stated is on the real OC at the time..,

that's a stupid question so rephrase or try again
That's a stupid answer since this is your quote "the hate for him is surreal considering it SHOULD be directed at Greg and the school."
Again, all you're good for is insults instead of civil discussions. I try not to put others down but you have a way of bringing out the worst in people.

He was OC in title only- everything you just stated is on the real OC at the time..,
He accepted the title. He has a responsibility. Claiming he has no responsibility for the offense simply because his OL says he did nothing as an OC... really.. how weak is that. I still hold it against GS that he tolerated that and allowed it continue into 2010. He's a DC type HC and he should have scouted his own team. Same for this year. But this was on Flood too. He doesn't get to avoid responsibility because his title was "in name only". Do you think his obviously "in name only" title of OC for Texas would innoculate him if Texas put up poor offense in the CFP? No.. he would have taken the axe for Sark.

He accepted the title. He has a responsibility. Claiming he has no responsibility for the offense simply because his OL says he did nothing as an OC... really.. how weak is that. I still hold it against GS that he tolerated that and allowed it continue into 2010. He's a DC type HC and he should have scouted his own team. Same for this year. But this was on Flood too. He doesn't get to avoid responsibility because his title was "in name only". Do you think his obviously "in name only" title of OC for Texas would innoculate him if Texas put up poor offense in the CFP? No.. he would have taken the axe for Sark.
Are you seriously just being dense. Greg hired his choice of OC and gave all OC responsibilities to him. Greg loved Flood as one of the best OL coaches in the nation and in order to keep him, he had to be creative in getting him a raise.
With agreement with his new OC, they would name Flood, Co-OC. But that Flood would still “only” perform duties as the OL coach.
The entire OL including my son, confirmed this was true. Kirk was OC with full OC responsibilities and Coach Flood still only had the same exact role as OL coach that he always had.
Unless you are talking directly to Flood, Greg or Kirk, there really could be no other better direct source then I had..

Are you seriously just being dense. Greg hired his choice of OC and gave all OC responsibilities to him. Greg loved Flood as one of the best OL coaches in the nation and in order to keep him, he had to be creative in getting him a raise.
With agreement with his new OC, they would name Flood, Co-OC. But that Flood would still “only” perform duties as the OL coach.
The entire OL including my son, confirmed this was true. Kirk was OC with full OC responsibilities and Coach Flood still only had the same exact role as OL coach that he always had.
Unless you are talking directly to Flood, Greg or Kirk, there really could be no other better direct source then I had..
I will assume you are correct. But if that's the case.. and GS made a change after the failures on offense in 2010 (and that would explain why Flood became "associate head coach" then as he was in 2008) why would Greg re-hire the OC that failed him in 2010? Is there an assumption that he has learned from his mistakes?

This really makes me look at all those times this year that we have run into stacked boxes against the run a bit differently. But at least we aren't snapping under center, QB turning his back to the LoS and dropping back to hand off to a standing-still waiting RB.

BTW.. who was the OL coach prior to Kyle Flood? Wasn't he some very good former NFL OL coach for the Patriots or somebody?

We haven't had a good OC since McNulty inherited what Craig ver Steeg built. Meanwhile, CvS is working on getting the Ravens potent O back to the Superbowl.

You have a good source and not sure why anyone would question it lol

Question , why would schiano need to give him a change of title to justify a raise ? Doesn’t the head coach have full discretion on that regardless of title ??

Very magnanimous of you.
Don't get me wrong.. it does not innoculate Flood from criticism regarding that offense. "He was just taking orders"... come on now. He is coaching an OL who is being put in a very bad spot in terms of generating offense and protecting the QB and he does nothing because he is not "really" the co-OC? Still deserves criticism even if the story is 100% true. Everyone shares blame... GS probably the most.

I do suffer from a lack of first-hand information but there could be too much personal relationship involved in protecting the good old OL coach.

Don't get me wrong.. it does not innoculate Flood from criticism regarding that offense. "He was just taking orders"... come on now. He is coaching an OL who is being put in a very bad spot in terms of generating offense and protecting the QB and he does nothing because he is not "really" the co-OC? Still deserves criticism even if the story is 100% true. Everyone shares blame... GS probably the most.

I do suffer from a lack of first-hand information but there could be too much personal relationship involved in protecting the good old OL coach.
Even back with McNulty in 08…Greg did tend to get involved where he shouldn’t. It was GS’s idea to put his soon to be 2 NFl OL stacked on the left side instead of being bookends. He had just lost Rice so he hoped he could protect the QB blind side and run pretty much everything to the left. Both Flood and McNulty battled him and lost until the Pitt game when the finally moved Kevin out of LG and put him at RT…
09- was a couple of things- you had pro set OL- a dead pocket passer, injured C and both OG’s were below average. And a new offense that kept trying to be something it isn’t.
2010- the put their best returning OL and stuck him at Center- which he hadn’t played since HS…The rest of the OL was week but those 2 second snaps killed everything. This is also where years of neglecting tge OL in recruiting caught up to us.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Even back with McNulty in 08…Greg did tend to get involved where he shouldn’t. It was GS’s idea to put his soon to be 2 NFl OL stacked on the left side instead of being bookends. He had just lost Rice so he hoped he could protect the QB blind side and run pretty much everything to the left. Both Flood and McNulty battled him and lost until the Pitt game when the finally moved Kevin out of LG and put him at RT…
09- was a couple of things- you had pro set OL- a dead pocket passer, injured C and both OG’s were below average. And a new offense that kept trying to be something it isn’t.
2010- the put their best returning OL and stuck him at Center- which he hadn’t played since HS…The rest of the OL was week but those 2 second snaps killed everything. This is also where years of neglecting tge OL in recruiting caught up to us.

Thanks for sharing. There were definitely gaps in position groups - Flood inherited one in the secondary in 2013 - a horrible year for it as we played against 8 QBs who got run in NFL, think 3 of them are still in the league.

Thanks for sharing. There were definitely gaps in position groups - Flood inherited one in the secondary in 2013 - a horrible year for it as we played against 8 QBs who got run in NFL, think 3 of them are still in the league.
You made a great point often missed. 2013- the year after all our defenders went to the NFl- that DB room was pretty bare.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Very interesting.

I figured 2010 was because everyone got that 2009 Syracuse game tape after asking.. how the hell did that happen? Much of 2009 the flaw in that system was not exposed.. until Marone did so... and, IIRC, just prior to that Marone booted a bunch of players including starters because of some internal strife. So it came a sa shock that we'd get our asses handed to us.

Zappaa pointed out how the OL was doing that pro-style zone-blocking things of standing up and trying to turn defenders to open lanes for the RB. But to me, and apparently him, it made zero sense when the RB took so long to get started. Maybe from a shotgun or pistol with an immediate handoff.. where the QB could watch for late post-snap blitz tipoffs and such.. it might work.. but Marone showed that all a D needed to do was send someone 5 yards behind center to blow up any play.

Early in 2010 we played Norfolk State and then visited FIU.. which was too close.. 19-4 W. I do not recall if FIU blitzed as I indicated but they had 371 yards of offense to our 172.. so the offense was not working.

Hosting UNC the next week I do recall being shocked that UNC was not blitzing much... but they held us to 244 yards and won 17-13. After giving up 10 in the first qtr UNC shut us down.

Unfortunately, 2010 was also the Eric Legrand injury year and we just went in the tank after that. But that offensive system should not have survived halftime of that 2009 Syracuse game and we suffered with it through all of 2010 save for.. get this.. the Syracuse game on November 13.

To me, it was if Schiano and the staff went thoprugh the previous years Syracuse game only in prep for the 2010 game and decided to completely switch things up. We saw the OL firing out trying to make holes the old fashioned way. We'd still lose 13-10 bu that Cuse team went 8-5 after beating KState in the Pinstripe.

I'd love to hear if I was on the right track in remembering how different the offense looked for that 2010 Syracuse game. We extensively used Jeremy Deering in the Wildcat (still refuse to call to the wildknight) .. so that alone meant a huge change from the previous year because you don't run that taking the snap under center. The box score still shows that Syracuse hurt us badly with negative yardage sacks and TFLs when our other QBs were in there.. so, I imagine we still ran some of that stuff they ate up the previous year.

I just wished we changed up the O the previous year.

Come to think of it... I have seen us fake handoffs in obvious 3rd and very long passing situations this year as well. Maybe it was all Kirk Ciarocca.. because that kind of thing is ridiculous and it was so in 2009 and 2010 and still is. Here it is.. down 15-0 to Iowa with 5:45 left in game, 1st and 10, we fake a sideways handoff when no defender is going to respect that fake.

Last edited:
What I get from the conversation in this thread,
Kyle wasn't a good HC,but wasn't as bad as some claim.
Flood's co:OC position at Rutgers wasn't really that, just a title ( with higher salary) given him because he was such a good OL coach and Schiano didn't want to lose him .
Kyle doesn't call the plays at Texas, it's his OL coaxhing skills that has him in that position.

As for Schiano, some feel he's a good HC with flaws that keep him from being a great one, others just say he sucks.

As for me Schiano isn't one of the best gameday, but knows how to build a winning program
His program will be just below the better ones but ahead if the not so good ones in the B1G , when it comes to bowl eligibility..
Rutgers will be bowl eligible every year, butonly good enough for minor bowls with teams having a strong D , but a weak O.

When it comes to describing what kind of coacxhing position Schiano doesnt qualify for:
Offensive Coordinator is in the top of list in Bold Letters

You made a great point often missed. 2013- the year after all our defenders went to the NFl- that DB room was pretty bare.

And with all of the nonsense that happened earlier in 2013, plus the scandals that NJ.coms Dan Duggan created out of thin air (Jevon Tyree, Ian Thomas, Dave Cohen) to advance his beat writer career, add in the losing, then the implosion of the best FB recruiting class in school history, an AD who never should have been hired wanting to get rid of him (and now’s she’s a realtor) and a penny pinching institution that was far more committed to his predecessor - not a lot of coaches would have survived that.

FFS, if Pernetti didn’t get scapegoated, Im sure he would have done more to help Flood right the ship (much like Hobbs did his best to make Ash successful - or any AD in America trying to make their hires successful).

He may have been a bad hire or maybe just a reach, but it’s not like he didn’t have a ton of external headwinds.

Flood racking up the $$$$$. Making more than he made as HC at Rutgers in 2015, when they paid him peanuts and they got what they paid for.

Sarkisian will receive a raise from $5.8 million to $10.3 million for the 2024 season. His salary will increase by $100,000 every year until 2030, the final year of the contract.

Longhorns offensive coordinator Kyle Flood had another year tacked on to his contract, taking him through the 2026 season. His 2024 salary of $1.325 million and his 2025 salary of $1.4 million will not change. He’ll be paid $1.475 million in 2026.

Flood racking up the $$$$$. Making more than he made as HC at Rutgers in 2015, when they paid him peanuts and they got what they paid for.

Sarkisian will receive a raise from $5.8 million to $10.3 million for the 2024 season. His salary will increase by $100,000 every year until 2030, the final year of the contract.

Longhorns offensive coordinator Kyle Flood had another year tacked on to his contract, taking him through the 2026 season. His 2024 salary of $1.325 million and his 2025 salary of $1.4 million will not change. He’ll be paid $1.475 million in 2026.

That’s crazy for Sarkisian off one playoff appearance. Just look at their rivals to see how costly a premature raise and extension can be off short term results. Fisher finished #5 one year and then didn’t sniff it again. Texas is a top job with tons of resources, where the heck is he going to go that’s better. To me that a consistent championship level salary not a one time appearance in the playoffs out of the B12 salary.

There will be more opportunities with playoff expansion but the SEC is also harder. Plus how often and deep into playoffs you go or win it all should be taken into account. I’ll never understand the itchy trigger fingers of admins to give big contracts without some proven consistency.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
That’s crazy for Sarkisian off one playoff appearance. Just look at their rivals to see how costly a premature raise and extension can be off short term results. Fisher finished #5 one year and then didn’t sniff it again. Texas is a top job with tons of resources, where the heck is he going to go that’s better. To me that a consistent championship level salary not a one time appearance in the playoffs out of the B12 salary.

There will be more opportunities with playoff expansion but the SEC is also harder. Plus how often and deep into playoffs you go or win it all should be taken into account. I’ll never understand the itchy trigger fingers of admins to give big contracts without some proven consistency.
We agree totally. What other industry or job category does one get rewarded with a near doubling of salary and an extension for one good year of performance. Texas (A&M too) and Oklahoma are delusional when it comes to football. But think about this- Sark was making less than Greg Schiano before this raise. I like Greg as our head coach. But when one lesser coach gets a raise, all the agents stir up the ADs to stir up more money for their client coaches (and themselves), and ADs can't seem to hold the line and tell them to piss off. It's weird.

Reactions: rutgersguy1

Their TE coach is making over a million. That is crazy.
I also think any talk of Flood being lucky at this point should not be a talking point. He is years removed from what happened as HC here. Has worked for Saban and Sark and both love him. Recruiter of the year at both places and friends or not- HC’s do not keep friends around at this level.
Curious- is he OC and OL coach there or do they actually have an even luckier guy at OL coach under Flood?

Their TE coach is making over a million. That is crazy.
I also think any talk of Flood being lucky at this point should not be a talking point. He is years removed from what happened as HC here. Has worked for Saban and Sark and both love him. Recruiter of the year at both places and friends or not- HC’s do not keep friends around at this level.
Curious- is he OC and OL coach there or do they actually have an even luckier guy at OL coach under Flood?
Here's a thought. Maybe it wasn't so much Flood--it was Rutgers and the lack of support they provided to him in a coaching salary pool, facilities and a dingbat DEI AD hire that hamstrung him and the entire athletics department multiple times. Couple that with Flood not being ready to be a HC, not having a good mentor by his side, and then cutting corners and doing some dumb crap- and that explains his tenure as HC at Rutgers.

Put the guy in a top tier program like Alabama or Texas that has unlimited resources, and he thrives. It's really not difficult to figure out. And of course it's a hell of a lot easier to be an ace recruiter at Alabama and Texas compared to Rutgers. If Sarkisian's career can be rehabilitated and given a second chance, there is no reason why Flood does not get a second chance. Unless he's a total zero, he has to have learned a lot under Saban and Sark.

Put the guy in a top tier program like Alabama or Texas that has unlimited resources, and he thrives. It's really not difficult to figure out. And of course it's a hell of a lot easier to be an ace recruiter at Alabama and Texas compared to Rutgers. If Sarkisian's career can be rehabilitated and given a second chance, there is no reason why Flood does not get a second chance. Unless he's a total zero, he has to have learned a lot under Saban and Sark.
...you probably just described half of the coaches in college football; it's also why when people throw Flood's name around for HC spots at programs like cuse and/or BC I kind of shake my head. What you're basically saying is that if Flood has near-perfect program conditions he can possibly be a successful HC.

Joe P.

Reactions: RUScrew85
...you probably just described half of the coaches in college football; it's also why when people throw Flood's name around for HC spots at programs like cuse and/or BC I kind of shake my head. What you're basically saying is that if Flood has near-perfect program conditions he can possibly be a successful HC.

Joe P.
No, the point went way over your head, and you cherry picked what I wrote. He was not ready to be a HC. And he was not given the resources to succeed as a first time head coach. He got shafted on salary, salary pool, facilities and a got a worthless AD who made headlines multiple times, embarrassing the university.
But you have some sort of different narrative, and that's OK.

No, the point went way over your head, and you cherry picked what I wrote. He was not ready to be a HC. And he was not given the resources to succeed as a first time head coach. He got shafted on salary, salary pool, facilities and a got a worthless AD who made headlines multiple times, embarrassing the university.
But you have some sort of different narrative, and that's OK.
Actually nothing went over my head...and maybe it's *you* with "some sort of different narrative" ('Flood=ultimate victim of circumstance'...which is also 'ok'). Re-read what you wrote and tell me what point I missed. What I'm saying is that even with everything you've outlined you're basically saying that with near-perfect conditions at a blue-blood program Flood would be a good HC...the overwhelming majority of college football programs do not fit that bill.

Joe P.

Actually nothing went over my head...and maybe it's *you* with "some sort of different narrative" ('Flood=ultimate victim of circumstance'...which is also 'ok'). Re-read what you wrote and tell me what point I missed. What I'm saying is that even with everything you've outlined you're basically saying that with near-perfect conditions at a blue-blood program Flood would be a good HC...the overwhelming majority of college football programs do not fit that bill.

Joe P.
Nope, not what I am saying at all. Maybe Evelyn Wood's reading dynamics could help out.

Nope, not what I am saying at all. Maybe Evelyn Wood's reading dynamics could help out.
...then what are you saying? I'm really not interested in exchanging lame veiled insults with you.

Joe P.

Last edited:
...then what are you saying? I'm really not interested in exchanging lame veiled insults with you.

Joe P.
This is tiresome. First of all, it was a cute move to quote only the second paragraph of what I said, and used that to try to change what I said. Context matters, and here's the whole of what I said, and I have bolded the parts that are important for context. I have color coded what I originally said below in bold and matched it up to what I said, versus what you changed what I said. I'm not mad, and I don't want to exhange insults either. I realize fans and people have different views of Flood's tenure at Rutgers. But it was really small potatoes and happened 10 years ago, and what happened then does not disqualify him from another opportunity to be a head coach and possibly succeeding.

In 2011, Flood was not ready to be a head coach, particularly with the crap support and resources he was provided, and recruiting was an uphill battle due to multiple scandals under Julie Hermann and then the MIke Rice fiasco--good like trying to get quality recruits in that environment. The athletics department was a laughing stock and dysfunctional.

Saban and Sark are outstanding mentors to learn from. Saban "rehabilitated" lots of coaches who fell on hard times or failed at some point in their careers.

Sarkisian rehabilitated his career. He and Flood coached together at the Falcons and then at Alabama. Flood must have impressed Sark, because Sark hired him at Texas. This is called mentoring. Sark's head coaching record was not great prior to this year. And at USC, Sark had bigger issues than Flood did at Rutgers, which led to Sark's firing.

"Here's a thought. Maybe it wasn't so much Flood--it was Rutgers and the lack of support they provided to him in a coaching salary pool, facilities and a dingbat DEI AD hire that hamstrung him and the entire athletics department multiple times. Couple that with Flood not being ready to be a HC, not having a good mentor by his side, and then cutting corners and doing some dumb crap- and that explains his tenure as HC at Rutgers.

Put the guy in a top tier program like Alabama or Texas that has unlimited resources, and he thrives. It's really not difficult to figure out. And of course it's a hell of a lot easier to be an ace recruiter at Alabama and Texas compared to Rutgers. If Sarkisian's career can be rehabilitated and given a second chance, there is no reason why Flood does not get a second chance. Unless he's a total zero, he has to have learned a lot under Saban and Sark."

Reactions: RUDiddy777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT