ADVERTISEMENT

"how Rutgers athletics now outspends many big ten counterparts"

Are they wrong though?

Many say we can't expect even minimal success in football because we have no money.

Sounds like the AD has plenty of money - perhaps just bad at spending it.
It'll be the FIRST year we get a real payback Fromm the B1G. It's the first year we're spending it on coaches etc. Give it time.

I think some of you are being too sensitive. There is a need for this level of investigation and people should know where we stand.

Others may have the opinion that this is wasteful spending, but they are not making the decision. At the end of the day, we are spending this much but we are also seeing results in a lot of places outside football.

Reactions: ScarletDave
I think some of you are being too sensitive. There is a need for this level of investigation and people should know where we stand.

Others may have the opinion that this is wasteful spending, but they are not making the decision. At the end of the day, we are spending this much but we are also seeing results in a lot of places outside football.

But people should get statistics that are not skewed. Some B1G schools have both hockey and lacrosse, some have one (Rutgers) and some have none. So how is a comparison strictly on based on totals valid?

Like most journalists (not all, but a good majority), these people are losers. Ignore them.

Reactions: ChasRC69

My contention is that they start with a misleading headline, making it sound like RU is spending money outside the range of other big ten teams, when they were really middle of the pack

Richard Ebright, an esteemed professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, says academic and research buildings are crumbling. There may be issues, but Waksman Insitute (his building) had a $9 million addition completed in 2019 ($3 million over budget). There is a new engineering building. There is a new Chemistry and Biology building.
I'm pretty sure that new building on Busch is literally his department's, i.e. Chemistry and Chemical Biology, even if his office is apparently not housed there. Of course there's the recent Waksman expansion as you mention but I guess he is stuck in an original section of the building.

As physical plant goes across NB/P, overall improvements appear to be progressing though it doesn't happen overnight. Hopefully deferred maintenance and such work is being prioritized where possible, in conjunction with the new capital projects.

The athletics budget is a small slice of a very large pie as well all know.

You guys are thinking small time. In the past these kind of articles hurt our perception. Now, I think it’s great - I want big time recruits to think we’ll spend a lot of money on them. Do you think if Birmingham Register came out with an article “Alabama is in the bottom half of the SEC in money spent on athletics” that is something UA would want or not?
Who cares if random old taxpayers get angry - we don’t need them to like us, it’s not like we don’t already sell out the RAC, and had some near sellouts in football this year despite being terrible for 8 years … we need RECRUITS to come here we don’t need Joe from Plainfield with a pea brain who reads the star ledger to come to the football game

You guys are thinking small time. In the past these kind of articles hurt our perception. Now, I think it’s great - I want big time recruits to think we’ll spend a lot of money on them. Do you think if Birmingham Register came out with an article “Alabama is in the bottom half of the SEC in money spent on athletics” that is something UA would want or not?
Who cares if random old taxpayers get angry - we don’t need them to like us, it’s not like we don’t already sell out the RAC, and had some near sellouts in football this year despite being terrible for 8 years … we need RECRUITS to come here we don’t need Joe from Plainfield with a pea brain who reads the star ledger to come to the football game

The problem is, excluding Todd Hunt, it just joins the drumbeat of negativity in the NJ press.

I never could understand theses stories bashing our program. I would be more inclined to buy their paper if they showed a general interest in Rutgers and reported accordingly.
Bottom line, nothing is going to change with this article.
Rutgers has a big payday coming from the BIG and it is all going back into athletics.
That’s what is mandated by the Big Ten Conference. They want competitive programs. To top it off, Rutgers will have a windfall but still run a defect,(that’s the nature of the beast).
In the meantime the infrastructure throught the University is being built up. Along with the academic prestige and all the good things that come with it.
You would think these people would like to be a part of that instead of trying to disparage it.
I guess that’s just the Syracuse alums at it again.

The problem is, excluding Todd Hunt, it just joins the drumbeat of negativity in the NJ press.
Chris Isemann (Asbury Park Press/Gannet) is great. Jerry Carino (same paper) is mostly good, but he seems to like to take a shot at RU every now and then.

Look at the number of applications to RU and those admitted-- being in the BIG is a huge part of that success. Our status has increased immeasurably.

If this article is to be believed, RU isn't losing on the field because everyone is outspending them.

If this article is to be believed, RU isn't losing on the field because everyone is outspending them.
What sports do we lose at anymore other than football? Get that to where it was in the late 2000s and we have f**k you money coming in and we can basically tell the jokers at these 2 bit newspapers to go play in traffic.

Heard at Subway that if you make a large donation to the Murphy campaign, coverage will change with a quick phone call by the gov.

I never could understand theses stories bashing our program. I would be more inclined to buy their paper if they showed a general interest in Rutgers and reported accordingly.
Bottom line, nothing is going to change with this article.
Rutgers has a big payday coming from the BIG and it is all going back into athletics.
That’s what is mandated by the Big Ten Conference. They want competitive programs. To top it off, Rutgers will have a windfall but still run a defect,(that’s the nature of the beast).
In the meantime the infrastructure throught the University is being built up. Along with the academic prestige and all the good things that come with it.
You would think these people would like to be a part of that instead of trying to disparage it.
I guess that’s just the Syracuse alums at it again.

I haven't read the article.
How is it bashing Rutgers Athletics?

Are they saying we aren't winning enough for what we're spending?
I'm just trying to understand how an article saying we are 7th in spending is bad. What's the spin they are doing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT