ADVERTISEMENT

Hyatt ReClasses to 2018

I am all for getting Hyatt but let's not automatically assume he will be better than some pretty respectable, talented recruits we have. Open competition is good and Pikiell will not play favorites or a player just because he is a 4*

Team chemistry does matter in college basketball. I have seen too many teams with great chemistry and maybe not the star quality players make very deep runs in the tournament. I have also seen teams with superior talent not do well because team chemistry was poor.

Somebody will underperform, that's just a fact.

Maybe, but probably not in 5 months before a game is even played. Unless you think someone is planning to transfer before a game is played.

The timeline just does not work out to get both Hyatt and Massoud. What are the chances Massoud does not sign in the Fall and waits until the Spring, hoping that Rutgers gets an open spot? Sorry, but top 75 players don't wait around for Rutgers....they wait around for Duke, UNC, Villanova, etc.

Last edited:
And where did I post something about players feelings? All I did was break down the roster, positions and player history (prior transfers).

If that 4th year Senior loses major minutes in this year, he can be a transfer option, but, he could also light it up this year. It is not as easy as some are posting by saying Transfers Always happen.

Keep in mind, 2019 recruits like Massoud will probably sign this Fall (that's 5 months)....you won't have a transfer before October/November....unless you over sign. IMO, I think it's Hyatt or Massoud. I prefer Massoud.
I wasn't pointing you out. I'm talking in general terms. The hardest thing for people to do is accept change. Btw, transfers do happen one way or another and it's easier than you think. Coaches miss on certain recruits all the time and can't wait for them to run their course through the program. Coaches find ways to move players. One thing most of us here forget, this is a business. Coach Pike is paid to win and I'm sure he doesn't want to risk losing his job over miscalculating the ability of a few players.

----
respectfully disagree..... as much as I would like RU to get to the big dance, I do not support forcing anyone off the team that really wants to be here..

the roster we have now does not seem to have any real dead weight, like before.... each of the players has enough talent to see the floor....

the best you can do, is tell the worst player that he might not see many minutes...... you do this and he can decide to stay or go.
I don't like the idea of forcing kids off the team, but let's not forget this is a business. Coach Pike isn't paid to be nice. He's paid to get Rutgers back to winning and the dance. We as fans are emotionally connected to the players, so it's difficult for us to see some of the faults/weaknesses. Just because Pike is going after another player doesn't mean he dislikes or doesn't believe in the current ones. It just means he's spotted a better one who can help him accomplish his goals a little quicker.

You guys are free to think what you want, of course. But as Chop can tell you from the CE Board, I am not particularly moved by criticism. Would love to see us establish a presence in the DC-Baltimore-NVA area, which is a rich source. But Hyatt seems interested in Md or Georgetown, and to go after him with little chance would send signals. Someone said, well, its a business. You mean like the NFL, where they sign a free agent to take away the starting job from a solid player? Fine. Sign as many kids as you can and let the best ones play and the losers transfer out. Happens to Alabama QB's all the time.
TL

Getting a spot for 2019 would be tough to do at this point. For 2020? It's almost certain that one of the 2019 guards will look to find playing time somewhere else.

Hyatt is a priority - he'd be a big step in the right direction for us talent-wise, and we'd be foolish not to take him for 2018.

We already have Mulcahy taking Doorson's scholarship for 2019, but we don't yet know what the season will bring for the rest of the team. Someone might feel like it's not the right fit for them, or they're not being used the way they expected, or their minutes aren't where they wanted to be, or whatever. The 2019 team is not chiseled in stone at this point - and while it's hard to believe anyone would transfer knowing what we know right now, the landscape will be different in 8-10 months.

The process of recruiting over players happens everywhere yet I'm not aware of any school getting a bad rap for doing so.

I dont care about the so called bad rep or recruiting over guys.

I'm hoping we get 5 Star PG and NJ native Noah Farrakan in 2020. He would surpass any PG on the roster and be a game 1 starter and star player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray6232010
You guys are free to think what you want, of course. But as Chop can tell you from the CE Board, I am not particularly moved by criticism. Would love to see us establish a presence in the DC-Baltimore-NVA area, which is a rich source. But Hyatt seems interested in Md or Georgetown, and to go after him with little chance would send signals. Someone said, well, its a business. You mean like the NFL, where they sign a free agent to take away the starting job from a solid player? Fine. Sign as many kids as you can and let the best ones play and the losers transfer out. Happens to Alabama QB's all the time.
TL
Bragging about not being "moved by criticism" just means you're admitting your an asshole.

TL
Doesn’t matter what any onus post. We are going after him HARD.

The process of recruiting over players happens everywhere yet I'm not aware of any school getting a bad rap for doing so.
---
there should be nothing wrong with recruiting over someone if you have the space..... it is a different thing than forcing someone out because you need the space....

I don't think the forcing someone out would have worked so good for our football program, when we used the F.A.M.I.L.Y
theme..... that would have been, yes we are family, I love you....except now we need your space, so get lost.

---
there should be nothing wrong with recruiting over someone if you have the space..... it is a different thing than forcing someone out because you need the space....

I don't think the forcing someone out would have worked so good for our football program, when we used the F.A.M.I.L.Y
theme..... that would have been, yes we are family, I love you....except now we need your space, so get lost.
If you don't think several kids got the "talk" and were persuaded to pursue a transfer during that time period then you're just being naïve. Happens every year at every single FBS school.

Reactions: Scangg
Talk about the dictionary definition of premature. Is this really a discussion about transfers because we have too much talent. Should be so lucky.

(For example) SHU wasn't having any transfer issues as they were winning a Big East title and making back to back to back tournaments.

Last edited:
Talk about the dictionary definition of premature. Is this really a discussion about transfers because we have too much talent. Should be so lucky.

I must have missed the transfer issues (for example) SHU was having as they were winning a Big East title and making back to back to back tournaments.
They've had a bunch of transfers. But the point is they've had success, and that's the goal.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
There's really a true pushing forward of the players on the roster that will be in place if RU somehow reeled in Hyatt for 2018. While no one really knows what type of impact freshman have, you could have a scenario where Hyatt, OR grad transfer XYZ, could have forced a situation where another redshirt of a player (Harper is a possibility) would rebalance things.

You could have a scenario where Harper plays 15 minutes a night next year, if he's in and gets into great shape and knocks down 3s....OR you could have a scenario where RU lands a grad transfer stretch 4 and you don't get Hyatt....in that case, perhaps you redshirt Harper Jr, so he comes in after a full year of strength and conditioning and hits the roster with Young and Mulcahy in 2019.....while you never want to say Harper could develop into a Hyatt, i could hope that if you redshirted Harper, he could be close to a Hyatt in a year, if RU doesnt land him and lands a different prospect for 2019 (Massoud has a game that is vastly different than Hyatt.

Roster management actually works better when you have quality kids that truly understand their roles. There's also another factor of the type of kid RU is recruiting....there is a difference between recruiting for a team for 1 or 2 years and recruiting for building a program....when you are building a program, the quality person is just as important as the quality of the player.

That's why Hyatt, like Baker, Mathis, Mulcahy Harper, McConnell, Carter, Young are all players we can see having an impact. And Doucoure with Myles Johnson...they are quality kids off the court....Myles will be better off because he redshirted last year. It comes down to what players are more ready vs others.

Reactions: RutgHoops
If you don't think several kids got the "talk" and were persuaded to pursue a transfer during that time period then you're just being naïve. Happens every year at every single FBS school.
----
we had two transfers this past year, most fans were happy it happened, in order to open up spots for more talent.

I know they had the "talk".... it all depends on how it is handled....I, personally would not got further than telling a player that it is unlikely he will see the court next year, or that he would get mop up minutes.....

that is as far as I would go.... most players with any pride would transfer....and that would be fine..... I just don't like the idea of going any further than that.... if the player still wants to stay, then he stays.....

Getting a spot for 2019 would be tough to do at this point. For 2020? It's almost certain that one of the 2019 guards will look to find playing time somewhere else.

Hyatt is a priority - he'd be a big step in the right direction for us talent-wise, and we'd be foolish not to take him for 2018.

We already have Mulcahy taking Doorson's scholarship for 2019, but we don't yet know what the season will bring for the rest of the team. might feel like it's not the right fit for them, or they're not being used the way they expected, or their minutes aren't where they wanted to be, or whatever. The 2019 team is not chiseled in stone at this point - and while it's hard to believe would transfer knowing what we know right now, the landscape will be different in 8-10 months.
The way I understood it was 6 scholarship became available after Sanders, Williams, Sa, Freeman, Bullock, and Mensah left. As of right now 5 of the scholarships are filled starting with Carter, Harper, Mathis, McConnell, and Young. Mulcahy fills Doorson's ship for next year, so there is one available to be used either this year or next.

There's really a true pushing forward of the players on the roster that will be in place if RU somehow reeled in Hyatt for 2018. While no one really knows what type of impact freshman have, you could have a scenario where Hyatt, OR grad transfer XYZ, could have forced a situation where another redshirt of a player (Harper is a possibility) would rebalance things.

You could have a scenario where Harper plays 15 minutes a night next year, if he's in and gets into great shape and knocks down 3s....OR you could have a scenario where RU lands a grad transfer stretch 4 and you don't get Hyatt....in that case, perhaps you redshirt Harper Jr, so he comes in after a full year of strength and conditioning and hits the roster with Young and Mulcahy in 2019.....while you never want to say Harper could develop into a Hyatt, i could hope that if you redshirted Harper, he could be close to a Hyatt in a year, if RU doesnt land him and lands a different prospect for 2019 (Massoud has a game that is vastly different than Hyatt.

Roster management actually works better when you have quality kids that truly understand their roles. There's also another factor of the type of kid RU is recruiting....there is a difference between recruiting for a team for 1 or 2 years and recruiting for building a program....when you are building a program, the quality person is just as important as the quality of the player.

That's why Hyatt, like Baker, Mathis, Mulcahy Harper, McConnell, Carter, Young are all players we can see having an impact. And Doucoure with Myles Johnson...they are quality kids off the court....Myles will be better off because he redshirted last year. It comes down to what players are more ready vs others.
Interested in what makes you think Hyatt is that much better than Harper right now. Had Harper not signed so quickly his offers would have likely equaled and maybe exceeded Hyatt's.

Reactions: dkostus
Interested in what makes you think Hyatt is that much better than Harper right now. Had Harper not signed so quickly his offers would have likely equaled and maybe exceeded Hyatt's.

There is nothing that says Harper cannot be like Hyatt in a year, but Hyatt is an advanced offensive player in most aspects. Harper as a late bloomer could be that type of player, which is why I am not so much or super concerned if this doesn't go RU's way....but there is nothing like a more finished product and Hyatt is definitely a more game-ready/proven scorer and shooter right now. Harper not signing early has nothing to do with this opinion of him, Hyatt is just a safer bet on being an immediate contributor.....I don't place the number of schools offering or not offering as a factor at all, we already saw that last year with Geo Baker.

There is nothing that says Harper cannot be like Hyatt in a year, but Hyatt is an advanced offensive player in most aspects. Harper as a late bloomer could be that type of player, which is why I am not so much or super concerned if this doesn't go RU's way....but there is nothing like a more finished product and Hyatt is definitely a more game-ready/proven scorer and shooter right now. Harper not signing early has nothing to do with this opinion of him, Hyatt is just a safer bet on being an immediate contributor.....I don't place the number of schools offering or not offering as a factor at all, we already saw that last year with Geo Baker.
Have you seen them in person? I've seen Harper a couple of times - never seen Hyatt. From their highlights only Harper is a more complete offensive player. Hyatt's highlights are 95% open three point shots. Harper's show him taking threes, rebounding, handling the ball, and making inside moves. Like to hear Russ's take here.

The Nike EYBL is the best AAU circuit, with the best competition around...it would not be a fair comparison of a Top AAU league to a HS league of sorts in NJ...Harper is a good player and very fortunate for RU to have landed him....but The Miller School stats in Virginia look very similar to what most kids look like in HS....20 +PPG 8-10 rebounds....neither player is known for their quickness, but i feel like Hyatt is capable of being RUs best offensive player by the time he's a sophomore in college. Not that others won't be scoring threats but Hyatt on tape has all the tools right now.

And i believe he fits because of the roster built now.... whatever wing or stretch PF that can potentially switch on defense is important right now.

He’s a real intellectual...

SWAIN--we have crossed paths before on the CE board and not in a good way. Seems like you were generally pretty angry over there. So it goes. Never understood why people get upset at other posters on an anonymous message board, but whatever.
Just the nature of message boards. And us humans.
TL

The way I understood it was 6 scholarship became available after Sanders, Williams, Sa, Freeman, Bullock, and Mensah left. As of right now 5 of the scholarships are filled starting with Carter, Harper, Mathis, McConnell, and Young. Mulcahy fills Doorson's ship for next year, so there is one available to be used either this year or next.

There's one available "right now". If, say, we are able to secure Hyatt for 2018, that would mean we don't have any scholarships available on paper until 2020. But that doesn't mean that there won't be another 2019 ship available in April of next year (for instance, to offer to Massoud or someone else) - as a lot can happen between now and then. It's hard to see a path to that for 2019, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

In 2020, the expectation is that we have three scholarships available (Thiam, Omoruyi, Carter)... but there may be a fourth, depending on what happens between now and then.

To quote Yoda, "always in motion is the future".

Always new information....i think the best thing is to pay attention to what other schools are doing in recruiting..

As soon as Louisville offered, it was said to be "well, it's going to be over now".....and while you can't discount LVille, there are two players that i would consider "better" than an option for Hyatt....A grad transfer jumped to LVille and their front line AND former NWestern commit, 6'4" PG Jordan Lathon, who Chris Collins had as his PG of the future, suddenly denied Lathon admission into NW.....

Both the grad transfer and Lathon could fill spots for LVille and their depleted roster....suddenly having 8 ship players could be 10-11 in a couple of weeks....will they still need Hyatt with the expectation that he can find minutes??

Pitt also seems to be recruiting everyone and they may have a 2019 SF/Wing that could have jumped into the mix for them...the wing is a Top 150 player like Hyatt, Audriese Toney, who is teammates with one of their recent commits.

Can Pitt land Hyatt and expect Toney to commit there at the same spot?? With the way Capel is recruiting, they can't take everyone.

These are developments that impact the B1G....NW losing their top 2018 PG recruit but landing a 20PPG grad transfer a month ago, may not matter for 2018-19....but NW doesn't cut corners like Pitt and others are when it comes to players....so there are always developments.

Reactions: wheezer
The Nike EYBL is the best AAU circuit, with the best competition around...it would not be a fair comparison of a Top AAU league to a HS league of sorts in NJ...Harper is a good player and very fortunate for RU to have landed him....but The Miller School stats in Virginia look very similar to what most kids look like in HS....20 +PPG 8-10 rebounds....neither player is known for their quickness, but i feel like Hyatt is capable of being RUs best offensive player by the time he's a sophomore in college. Not that others won't be scoring threats but Hyatt on tape has all the tools right now.

And i believe he fits because of the roster built now.... whatever wing or stretch PF that can potentially switch on defense is important right now.
Not basing my view on high school stats or stars, just on what I'm looking at on the court

Not basing my opinion on stars or high school stats, just on watching them, and Gio will be our best offensive player when Hyatt is a sophomore IMO.

Always new information....i think the best thing is to pay attention to what other schools are doing in recruiting..

As soon as Louisville offered, it was said to be "well, it's going to be over now".....and while you can't discount LVille, there are two players that i would consider "better" than an option for Hyatt....A grad transfer jumped to LVille and their front line AND former NWestern commit, 6'4" PG Jordan Lathon, who Chris Collins had as his PG of the future, suddenly denied Lathon admission into NW.....

Both the grad transfer and Lathon could fill spots for LVille and their depleted roster....suddenly having 8 ship players could be 10-11 in a couple of weeks....will they still need Hyatt with the expectation that he can find minutes??

Pitt also seems to be recruiting everyone and they may have a 2019 SF/Wing that could have jumped into the mix for them...the wing is a Top 150 player like Hyatt, Audriese Toney, who is teammates with one of their recent commits.

Can Pitt land Hyatt and expect Toney to commit there at the same spot?? With the way Capel is recruiting, they can't take everyone.

These are developments that impact the B1G....NW losing their top 2018 PG recruit but landing a 20PPG grad transfer a month ago, may not matter for 2018-19....but NW doesn't cut corners like Pitt and others are when it comes to players....so there are always developments.

Pitt has eight committed scholarships including incoming freshman, a bit of buzz because of Capel (which is impressive coming off 0-18) and plenty of PT to offer. Pike can sell we'll be better at basketball, in my opinion.

Last edited:
SWAIN--we have crossed paths before on the CE board and not in a good way. Seems like you were generally pretty angry over there. So it goes. Never understood why people get upset at other posters on an anonymous message board, but whatever.
Just the nature of message boards. And us humans.
TL
I’m not upset at you. I think your initial post was absurd. As did everyone else who chimed in. You had zero support. Then you state unequivocally that you aren’t ever swayed by others opinions, which to me is the epitome of anti-intellectualism.
I have posted maybe four times on the CE board in the last 4 years because it is a cesspool, largely because it is folks like you who have no interest in discourse, just yelling their opinions (however misguided or unfounded) as loudly and often as possible. That board is the worst, so it’s all yours, I promise I won’t bother you there. But you come here with awful basketball takes...

Last edited:
I’m not upset at you. I think your initial post was absurd. As did everyone else who chimed in. You had zero support. Then you state unequivocally that you aren’t ever swayed by others opinions, which to me is the epitome of anti-intellectualism.
I have posted maybe four times on the CE board in the last 4 years because it is a cesspool, largely because it is folks like you who have no interest in discourse, just yelling their opinions (however misguided or unfounded) as loudly and often as possible. That board is the worst, so it’s all yours, I promise I won’t bother you there. But you come here with awful basketball takes...

So not being bothered by the fact that other posters didn't like my "take" is proof positive of anti-intellectualism? Wunnaful wunnaful! You ever hear of David Riesman? Well of course not. You are probably too young. He wrote books about other-directed and inner-directed people. Color me inner-directed. Color you other-directed; swaying this way or that depending on how others react to stuff? Did you venture to post only after several others had disputed my "take"?

My "take" might change on any subject, depending on new info, none of which consists of critical screeds from anonymous on-line posters.
TL

So not being bothered by the fact that other posters didn't like my "take" is proof positive of anti-intellectualism? Wunnaful wunnaful! You ever hear of David Riesman? Well of course not. You are probably too young. He wrote books about other-directed and inner-directed people. Color me inner-directed. Color you other-directed; swaying this way or that depending on how others react to stuff? Did you venture to post only after several others had disputed my "take"?

My "take" might change on any subject, depending on new info, none of which consists of critical screeds from anonymous on-line posters.
TL
You’re probably too young...again discounting an opinion without actual facts. I responded to your intial post immediately, not after others piled on as you suggest. So another either willfully ignorant lie or you’re just not all there. Or a pathetic deflection. Either way, If we are going to bring age into it, I truly wonder about your diminished intellectual capacity...or are you going to debate that your cognitive abilities decrease with age?
Oh and I know more about sociology than you could ever pretend, don’t try to lecture me, your out of your depth, as per usual...

Reactions: RUinFla

TL
You’re probably too young...again discounting an opinion without actual facts. I responded to your intial post immediately, not after others piled on as you suggest. So another either willfully ignorant lie or you’re just not all there. Or a pathetic deflection. Either way, If we are going to bring age into it, I truly wonder about your diminished intellectual capacity...or are you going to debate that your cognitive abilities decrease with age?
Oh and I know more about sociology than you could ever pretend, don’t try to lecture me, your out of your depth, as per usual...
Back to Hyatt...

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Ouchhh not impressive in the slightest there. Looks like the Rutgers shooting percentages we are used to here though lol

AAU numbers are with players that are Top 150 in every aspect...those are more than respectable numbers in an elite league...too bad fans are just not aware, but bringing knowledge is the key.....there's not a lot of past RU recruits that have numbers in EYBL in general, you have to actually be good enough to play in the circuit.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
AAU numbers are with players that are Top 150 in every aspect...those are more than respectable numbers in an elite league...too bad fans are just not aware, but bringing knowledge is the key.....there's not a lot of past RU recruits that have numbers in EYBL in general, you have to actually be good enough to play in the circuit.

Come on Man....not every AAU player in every game is a Top 150 player, not with 40 EYBL teams. AND, the defense is not close to what he will face in college.

Just say what it is....he did not shoot well in those games....28 percent on threes is not good. He can shoot a lot better, but, he did not.

Last edited:
Come on Man....not every AAU player in every game is a Top 150 player, not with 40 EYBL teams. AND, the defense is not close to what he will face in college.

Just say what it is....he did not shoot well in those games....28 percent on threes is not good. He probably shots a lot better, but, he did not.

I don't put stock in AAU events, you don't know the context of when, where shots are taken or made....that's why it's important to have coaches that, you know, actually watch games in person, project what a player is going to look like in a college uniform.

And while every player isnt a Top 150, more than half or 65% of the players that play the bulk of the minutes are usually top recruits.

Carry on with whatever goal you have, Hyatt is a prospect being recruited....there's much more detail that folks are aware of that impact stats...let me know when you are attending your next weekend AAU tournament so we can get your feedback or details....probably best to rely on the people or ask the people who actually do attend the games....there's plenty of resources and ways to get valuable information on recruits, game videos, etc....the fact remains that you have to earn a spot in EYBL and RU isn't consistently recruiting Top 100-150 kids each and every year that are in this league....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT