ADVERTISEMENT

I’m very upbeat despite tough loss

you should worry about Cliff's defense too
I think Pike needs to play Cliff 30 minutes and hope Woolfolk just had 3 bad possessions and he'll be fine. I am very perplexed with how bad he has been so far defensively.

I had conditioning concerns with Cliff last year. I thought with the added responsibilites he had to come in this year in the best shape of his life. I am a bit worried.

I think Pike needs to play Cliff 30 minutes and hope Woolfolk just had 3 bad possessions and he'll be fine. I am very perplexed with how bad he has been so far defensively.

I had conditioning concerns with Cliff last year. I thought with the added responsibilites he had to come in this year in the best shape of his life. I am a bit worried.

I think Pike needs to recruit better

Cliff may not be back next year, who is his replacement

where is Ron Harpers replacement

Reactions: biazza38
Why isn't Simpson an option from the wing? He actually has taken his man off the dribble there many times this year.

If Paul is in the game he understands his role is to get the ball to Cliff. There is a 3 man game a triangle with Paul, Cliff and Cam. Simpson isn't comfortable doing anything right now except playing defense and taking the ball to the hoop.

The goal is to make Simpson the 5th option for a defense to account for as a shooter. If you are preparing to win games, you have to start on the defensive end and figure out the following.

A) who do you want to live with dominating the ball and shooting so others don't get involved.

B) who do you have to focus your defense on 1st, then 2nd then 3rd.

Right now, RU has not been pressed full court. If you play Mag and Hyatt together, your asking both to make plays, which is a win-win for the opponent.

If Mulcahy is back and able to play, he does not bring anything different in terms of a look you have to prepare for. None of the players are going around the defenders to generate gaps in the defense. I also need to reduce my turnovers and that has to happen while I'm allowing Simpson to learn on the fly. He's not afraid to play or defend, he just needs minutes.

If I can limit Mag from having to handle the ball and I can get Mulcahy back with Caleb, I have 4 veteran players who understand the physical aspects of what this league requires.

There is no formula of offense that I can see that frees up Spencer, with Simpson sitting next to Brandin Knight and Pike on the bench.

I actually really like how this team is shaping up if we can Get everyone healthy and in their role

There is a few things clear to me, the first two due to being one guy down without Paul and others picking up his minutes

1.) mag and Hyatt belong at the four …playing one on the wing at the three is disruptive at both ends of the floor. They need to be at the four spot and no minutes at the three …and one of them out there at a time

2.) NO MORE Reiber at the four . He is a back up at the five spot

3.) roll the dice with Simpson and wolfolk….yes their will be frosh mistakes

4,) cam is gassed okaying the one spot minutes …and his productivity will be lessened on both ends of the floor .

This year’s team and next year’s team both have too many questions marks.
Recruiting needs to improve.
No more going after guys who “play a role” or are a “piece of the puzzle.”
We have too many guys who are role players. This is a huge concern

Reactions: bac2therac
I mean we go after top players, we just have missed on most of them?

I know what Pike is trying to do, the problem is he is short and Miller/Palm/Reiber are basically not good enough for what we need now, so the guys he brought in,...Simpson/Woofolk have promise but are just too young to force into that role. Remember Jaden Jones a huge recruiting mistake as well. Its tough to have that many misses.

Reactions: biazza38
I know what Pike is trying to do, the problem is he is short and Miller/Palm/Reiber are basically not good enough for what we need now, so the guys he brought in,...Simpson/Woofolk have promise but are just too young to force into that role. Remember Jaden Jones a huge recruiting mistake as well. Its tough to have that many misses.
1992-2018

Every game takes a different turn.
Bottom line is they have to start winning games against decent/good teams
Your bottom line is correct, yes, but it was clear from the opening offensive possession yesterday that without Paul, Caleb is by far the best option we have to run the offense. The Temple game was lost in those first 10 minutes where we turned the ball over almost every possession handing them free transition points.

Caleb isn’t the world’s best PG. He certainly wasn’t perfect jumping into that role with 5 turnovers including several miscue passes where there was no cutter in sight (one he clearly should’ve kept). The early charge wasn’t his best moment either. But having him in at PG was still a night and day upgrade from Simpson at this stage. Cam is an okay secondary ball handler. That combo didn’t get stripped of their handle in half court sets. I think if Caleb has to play point for a few more games without Paul his decision making will improve.

Yours and some other's answers for a loss are usually to first attack a RU coach for the loss. You do it for All sports. Second option is to attack players and that changes game to game-- no consistency, you blow with the wind. Unfortunately you usually never give credit to the other team or to the circumstances. Your typical response is a RU blame game .All is good after a win but a world shattering disaster after a loss. Constant blame game . Everyone's unhappy after a loss but a team's ultimate prospects for success ( the tournament) are not determined after one win or loss but over the season.

There was more than one post in the game thread that said this team isn’t any better once Paul is back. The guy was second in the conference in assists per game last year and people said that with a straight face
in support of that... Paul would have found Cliff with passes a lot more often than the rest of the team even TRIED to. I actually saw guards more willing to pass into Woolfolk than they were Cliff.

If Mulcahy could not fix that.. or if he does not fix that.. then the people that suggest Paul wouldn't have made a positive difference would be correct. But I think he DOES fix that 9 times out of 10.

Yours and some other's answers for a loss are usually to first attack a RU coach for the loss. You do it for All sports. Second option is to attack players and that changes game to game-- no consistency, you blow with the wind. Unfortunately you usually never give credit to the other team or to the circumstances. Your typical response is a RU blame game .All is good after a win but a world shattering disaster after a loss. Constant blame game . Everyone's unhappy after a loss but a team's ultimate prospects for success ( the tournament) are not determined after one win or loss but over the season.
This. What was this dude like during Eddie Jordan years?

Last edited:
Pikiell was badly outcoached tonight, agree or disagree
What did he do wrong and what did Larranaga do better?
I thought Miami looked like a more athletic, more talented team.

Mag took more shots than Cliff or Cam, that's a problem, but 3-4 of those were on offensive rebounds.
Play Simpson more? Instead of who? Cam or Caleb? Miller only played 6 minutes.

in support of that... Paul would have found Cliff with passes a lot more often than the rest of the team even TRIED to. I actually saw guards more willing to pass into Woolfolk than they were Cliff.

If Mulcahy could not fix that.. or if he does not fix that.. then the people that suggest Paul wouldn't have made a positive difference would be correct. But I think he DOES fix that 9 times out of 10.
Paul can get the ball where he (and PIkiell) want it/need it to be vs ball pressure better than anyone else on the team.
Miami fronted Cliff with good weak-side help, taking away the lob. They didn't do that to Wolf.

What did he do wrong and what did Larranaga do better?
I thought Miami looked like a more athletic, more talented team.

Mag took more shots than Cliff or Cam, that's a problem, but 3-4 of those were on offensive rebounds.
Play Simpson more? Instead of who? Cam or Caleb? Miller only played 6 minutes.

No shots for Cliff for last 9 minutes of game. Miami gameplan was to deny the pass to Cliff, guard Cam and let someone else beat them. Pike removing Cliff while on a run and putting in a poor lineup cost 6 points in a minute

No shots for Cliff for last 9 minutes of game. Miami gameplan was to deny the pass to Cliff, guard Cam and let someone else beat them. Pike removing Cliff while on a run and putting in a poor lineup cost 6 points in a minute
Bac
Every coach in the B1G can take their center out for a blow after a run.
If Wolf or Dean can’t hold down the fort and at least be serviceable against good opponents….where we going?

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Rutgers got good shots down stretch. They just didn’t go in

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Guys, relax, the jury is still out on this team.
First Road game against a quality opponent for alot of these guys, New ones and guys that didn't play that much last year.
Without Paul. Not sure if Caleb is 100%.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Yes taking Cliff out in that spot really hurt us. On Cliff’s defense - he’s been awful in the zone except where we apply pressure in backcourt. But there are other guys who hurt us in the man sets so it’s a pick your poison situation. And we can’t press the whole game because we don’t have the bench depth and we can’t afford to put teams at the line early.

Getting Paul back will provide more options. If there’s anything to have hope on, it’s Pike figuring out the best schemes for us on defense. In fairness, not too many teams have as many guys like Miami who can kill you in iso ball.

This might be Pike's toughest coaching job if he doesn't force feed Simpson and take our lumps in December. This is a slow footed, plodding roster that gets nothing off the dribble. Simpson is the only player who can make a play with the ball and doesn't have to back down his man with the ball one on one.

Mulcahy isn't going to save this roster and only adds to the very much of a pass and isolation offense. The Mag and Hyatt combo on the floor is a disaster waiting to happen, neither can be trusted to make a play or a pass and both require a guard to set them up for shots.

Anything short of Simpson playing 22 to 25 minutes a game is a NIT season on deck, at best.
regarding Simpson getting thrown into fire, agree with this. there will be plenty of Mathis type out of control drives to basket, but is what it is, he brings something nobody else on floor does.

Reactions: RUDead
Bac
Every coach in the B1G can take their center out for a blow after a run.
If Wolf or Dean can’t hold down the fort and at least be serviceable against good opponents….where we going?
Pike and Larranaga were both flawed last night. Player execution was the difference.

First half Caleb receives a pass and inexplicably steps back and out of bounds. Second half Caleb goes up for a shot and while in mid air with nobody near him inexplicably passes the ball directly to an opponent.

Mag misses a point blank layup at the first half buzzer. Hyatt misses a point blank layup late in the game. Spencer goes 1-10 with at least half of his misses virtually uncontested.

Pike’s coaching wasn’t perfect by any means but we shot ourselves in the foot on execution.

Reactions: goru7
Mag misses a point blank layup at the first half buzzer. Hyatt misses a point blank layup late in the game. Spencer goes 1-10 with at least half of his misses virtually uncontested.
After the Mag miss at the end of the half, I yelled out, "How many bunnies are we going to miss!?"

My five year old heard me and said, "Ten."

She may have been right.

This might be Pike's toughest coaching job if he doesn't force feed Simpson and take our lumps in December. This is a slow footed, plodding roster that gets nothing off the dribble. Simpson is the only player who can make a play with the ball and doesn't have to back down his man with the ball one on one.

Mulcahy isn't going to save this roster and only adds to the very much of a pass and isolation offense. The Mag and Hyatt combo on the floor is a disaster waiting to happen, neither can be trusted to make a play or a pass and both require a guard to set them up for shots.

Anything short of Simpson playing 22 to 25 minutes a game is a NIT season on deck, at best.
So I actually agree with the OP BUT the only thing I would of added is I thought Simpson should have gotten more minutes in this game. Too many minutes with both Hyatt & Mag on the floor. Too many times Cam and Mcconnel brought the ball up. Didn’t need him to be the man but should have gotten more minutes in my mind

why the over analyzing after every game...i appreciate the analysis, because i know very little about the intricacies of the game. but what i do know is, when you miss easy lay ups and, open jump shots and the other team make them. you most likely lose..............the same goes for fb. you block, tackle and, execute with minimal mistakes. you most likely win............that's ru's biggest problem........executing

Reactions: mugrat86
sos every season.......were doomed, pike sucks, were slow, ect,ect,ect..........and, like the great jeff goldblum stated in jurassic park "life will find a way"......just replace life with pike............believe!

Disagree. Cam makes shots and we make layups we win easily
The problem with your comment is that Rutgers missed layups all season and Cam needs a point guard that can pass the ball to him in the corners for 3 point shots.He isn't a good shooter off the dribble.

The problem with your comment is that Rutgers missed layups all season and Cam needs a point guard that can pass the ball to him in the corners for 3 point shots.He isn't a good shooter off the dribble.
I think that problem will be solved soon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT