ADVERTISEMENT

I’m willing to give Greg one more season

year 4 should be the do it or get out timeline.
I'm a big Schino supporter, but if this program keeps playing lame in Greg2's fourth season , it will be time for Hobbs to hit reset and find someone that's capable of putting a competitive program on the field.

I still believe in Schiano but year 4 is the year he either proves my faith in him is right or I
ll admit hopped on the wrong horse and I'll dismount.and end the ride.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Just to make sure my reading comprehension isn't wrong, are people really saying "if Noah Vedral wasn't hurt..." as a reason to defend what Gary did this year???
Why is that hard to understand? The injury probably cost Gleeson his job. Those 2 had chemistry and last 2 years wasn’t this bad.

And now he has to start over with an entire new OC. I personally wouldn’t want to do that at 55 years old with millions in the bank.
actually most HCs have enough of an ego that it isn't the money that truly motivates them, it's being a winner and looked on as a great one that is their goal..
The money part is during thew hireling process and ego has a part in the salary and perks it will take to accept the job.

I've actually said this privately to people since last season. I don't think he is mentally in it like he was the first time. Probably comes with age and having plenty of money. At some point you decide you don't need the headaches.

Plus he isn't a bull in a china shop this time around, getting whatever he wants from an AD. The AD hates him.
Why did you have to say it privately? Are you close to GS?

If Greg gets sacked by RU there will be no future employment for him. Just as he did in Tampa I believe he will live off his severance pay.

My guess is he gets 2-3 more years before being jettisoned by RU.
You won't have a quarter of the stadium filled with two more years of this. I turned today's game off at halftime, and I'm been on this stupid forum for 15 years. You think the average fan will attend a game where they score less than soccer?

Reactions: Plum Street
You won't have a quarter of the stadium filled with two more years of this. I turned today's game off at halftime, and I'm been on this stupid forum for 15 years. You think the average fan will attend a game where they score less than soccer?
It’s amazing how a season can sour so quickly. Still remember the BC game and all the fans that traveled for that game. I also didn’t bother with the 2nd half today. Got my Christmas tree instead.

Oregon State just beat Oregon with a bunch of transfers and 2 and 3 star recruits. Took Jonathan Smith 5 years. They're 9-3.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
To be fair, he actually turn it around 1st year. But he didn’t stop turning and it made a 360 and we are back where we started

Year 1 that some say doesn’t count because HC Schiano was saddled with all those terrible HC Ash players.

Also, always loved this scene.

Reactions: brgRC90
I’m willing to give Greg one more season. But another ugly 3-5 win year, with 2 or less B1G wins, and a feeble at best O… he’ll have to be let go.

Of course then the question becomes who can we get who’s any better, but I think we’ll have to take that chance.
you sir need your head examined with this. I can look at a pig's ass all day and it's not gonna change, it's still a pigs' ass

Look from my perspective this was a 4 win team from the start of the season. Sadly they fulfilled that expectation but we did see some progress this year. If Greg can bring in a good OC and QB coach as well as some players in the portal and cleanup the mistakes and turnovers that killed us this season, next year can be a bowl year. After that, the B1G gets rid of divisions and the conference will be more balanced.
Doesn’t matter how the schedule is shuffled, being among the very worst in the conference won’t change.

I've actually said this privately to people since last season. I don't think he is mentally in it like he was the first time. Probably comes with age and having plenty of money. At some point you decide you don't need the headaches.

Plus he isn't a bull in a china shop this time around, getting whatever he wants from an AD. The AD hates him.
IDK about the AD hating him. It is more like a marriage of convenience. Both have been emphatic that they are aligned, and maybe that is lip service, but they both seem true to the mission of winning.

As far as his age and money, I know people in business in similar positions, but people like Greg are similar to those in business who continue to strive for excellence. I highly doubt he wants to go out a loser. While he isore mellow and philosophical, that comes with age. I used to be more hard charging andore like a bull in a china shop, but with age, is take setbacks in stride and am calmer. I wonder wh see ty coworkers say about that. 😂

Nope. Doesn’t fit the family. Had to take the minivan.
Im Not No Way GIF

One more year. If the product on the field is as bad as it was this year, I'll definitely be reducing my season tickets. We got laughed off the field by Maryland.... Not Ohio State, or Michigan, or Penn State.. Maryland.
We got laughed off the field by those teams too

Oregon State just beat Oregon with a bunch of transfers and 2 and 3 star recruits. Took Jonathan Smith 5 years. They're 9-3.
7-6/5-4 in year 4. This year a really good one and with lousy qb play all year too. They’ve had injuries at the position as well. I think they completed 6 passes in today’s Oregon game lol.

Reactions: Wolv RU
That was sarcasm by the way.

Anyways whatever is going wrong with the passing game needs to be fixed.

OC hire will be very important. But does Schiano scare away the better options?

I’m willing to give Greg one more season. But another ugly 3-5 win year, with 2 or less B1G wins, and a feeble at best O… he’ll have to be let go.

Of course then the question becomes who can we get who’s any better, but I think we’ll have to take that chance.
Now I have been a GS fan since his low of GS1.0 year 3. Actually, year 1, since his big JUNIOR DAY and promises to have a coach at every NJ HS every year. I thought I saw what he was doing then. But the world has changed so much... and.. that offense.. has been offensive to the eyes most of this year.

That offense.. it is something that absolutely needs to show serious improvement next year. C'mon.. we cannot complete a screen pass? How pathetic. That is coaching.. 100%. I am over 60 and I think I could take a shotgun snap and drop back and complete a screen while looking it off. Teams run it to punish blitzes designed to go after poor passers.

And the defense.. I have one question: GS1.0 had a distinctive feature to teh defense.. coordinated shifts along the DL (and sometimes the LB, just prior to the snap... confuses the OL.. possibly) Why aren't we doing that? We know it can be coached to be executed.. we SAW it during GS1.0. I think we need it back.

(and, yes, if the O does not show significant improvement.. GS should retire.. with no payout. He's 56.. he can afford it.. go get a gig on TV or go be a DC in the NFL.. but I'd love to see him fix the offense enough to show significant improvement.. that would be my first option and preference).

Hobbs has to find that money. Which means the earliest he can fire GS is year 6.
That’s true unfortunately. It was the problem with the contract. Once Schiano’s agent realized the fans were about cause a mutiny, they knew they had Pat by the short ones.

Reactions: jtung230
I'm already keeping tabs on Mike Elko, Jersey native who already has Duke possibly winning 8 games in Year 1 if we have to fire Schiano 2.0 in a year or 2.
South Brunswicks own. My brother coached with his father there BITD

Reactions: bigmatt718
I'm already keeping tabs on Mike Elko, Jersey native who already has Duke possibly winning 8 games in Year 1 if we have to fire Schiano 2.0 in a year or 2.

South Brunswicks own. My brother coached with his father there BITD
Someone elsewhere said he wants nothing to do with Rutgers.

So there’s that.🤷‍♂️

That can be hearsay unless it is someone high up the RU booster chain.
Nothing to do with Rutgers boosters. It was someone close to the guy’s family who said it.

We see Rutgers one way but some outsiders might see it and the job in a different light.

He should be let go next year if Rutgers go through another 3-5 win season and if GW struggles again. If that doesn’t help you question him not recruiting a legit P5 QB every year, nothing will.

You waited that long before turning it off? I give you credit, I was out in the first quarter when I saw we could not move the ball. At least OSU-UM was entertaining for a a half.

Actually only took him 4. They were 7-6 last season and showed improvement in year 2 if you throw out the Covid year. But PAC-12 north isn’t the Big10 east.
Not picking on you or your post, but it's funny how posters here will favorably move the goalposts when comparing to other coaches/players, but our coaches/players get zero leeway. Why is that? But if we are going with the Covid year don't count narrative, then this is Greg's year 2. Greg will show improvement next year! (Hopefully).

I hope everyone realizes this same "boot Schiano" stuff happened in year 3 last time. This was.. what.. year 2.5 with eh CoVid year?

(as I said above.. that offense was unacceptable by any measure.. if he cannot show real progress on that.. well, year four will be a hellscape by Halloween.)

ADVERTISEMENT