ADVERTISEMENT

I’m willing to give Greg one more season

The only thing to hang your hat on is that GS was not Hobbs' choice. Schiano was forced on him by the big money people. So if Schiano spits the bit next year Hobbs would be more inclined to fire him versus if GS was his choice.

Reactions: Knightmoves
For this program and based on our history, as well as in this conference, I think the answer is yes.
Actually regardless of the win loss record in year 4 what’s more important to me is how competitive we are on the field. Want to see more toughness, fight, and fewer mistakes. If we don’t win at least make it close.

Serious question beause I might be misremembering...in 2004 (year 4 of GS 1.0), weren't we saying the exact same things? I'm pretty sure that year was a big step back and we all wanted him gone. Ended the season with like 5 losses in a row, one of which was a beating by Navy. We saw no reason for optimism after a decent start to the season. Am I wrong?

Reactions: Kbee3
Not picking on you or your post, but it's funny how posters here will favorably move the goalposts when comparing to other coaches/players, but our coaches/players get zero leeway. Why is that? But if we are going with the Covid year don't count narrative, then this is Greg's year 2. Greg will show improvement next year! (Hopefully).

Oh I don’t disagree with you. Just pointing out the OSU trajectory and that it’s a bit easier IMO in the PAC-12 north than our division. UW was down the past couple years before now and Stanford, WSU, and Cal aren’t world beaters either. I agree Greg needs another year or even 2 but hopefully we will see improvement next year.

And hopefully the B1G East won’t be that either come 2024.🙂

I’m with you on that!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Serious question beause I might be misremembering...in 2004 (year 4 of GS 1.0), weren't we saying the exact same things? I'm pretty sure that year was a big step back and we all wanted him gone. Ended the season with like 5 losses in a row, one of which was a beating by Navy. We saw no reason for optimism after a decent start to the season. Am I wrong?

That was after the car accident that injured 3-4 players as they were leaving the stadium.

Reactions: RUaMoose
We found the money to fire Ash. He was owed 8.47M when he was fired and then 7.5M after the season completed.

I don’t even think we were getting a full share yet from the B10 at that time either. The B10 tv contract is about to go up next year and the money owed isn’t being paid as a lump sum either. It’s 12M or 9M over the life of the deal. I’m sure there are offsets for any future employment of GS too just like Ash. The money will likely be there if it’s necessary.

Year 4 or 5 can definitely be years he could be let go if he’s not .500 in regular season. I can’t tell you which year but either is possible.
Sorry but if Schiano is fired I think we're on the hook for full contract because unlike Ash he'll probably retire and not get a fb job to offset the payout. By the way I still think he has a shot at making football a success at RU and he'll help us get a new football facility. If you're a RU fan you would root for him.

I can guarantee no one that matters that makes decisions on Rutgers athletics cares about any “Opinions” given here. They care what donors say. “Real “donors” not opinion keyboard warriors.

Reactions: brgRC90 and BossNJ
Sorry but if Schiano is fired I think we're on the hook for full contract because unlike Ash he'll probably retire and not get a fb job to offset the payout. By the way I still think he has a shot at making football a success at RU and he'll help us get a new football facility. If you're a RU fan you would root for him.
It's not the full contract, it's 76.875% of the remaining salary. If he doesn't work anywhere then we won't get offsets but it's not the full contract. After next year (year 4) it's about 12M and after year 5 it would be about 9M. It's unlikely it's a lump sum either and it'll be paid out over the life of remaining contract.

I'm an alum and I root for the team to do well. That's not the point. If he works out then great and if not I've given the precedents out there for CFB and for ourselves and what we've done in the past.

It's not the full contract, it's 76.875% of the remaining salary. If he doesn't work anywhere then we won't get offsets but it's not the full contract. After next year (year 4) it's about 12M and after year 5 it would be about 9M. It's unlikely it's a lump sum either and it'll be paid out over the life of remaining contract.

I'm an alum and I root for the team to do well. That's not the point. If he works out then great and if not I've given the precedents out there for CFB and for ourselves and what we've done in the past.
Or, Greg "could," like Shaw at Stanford conclude that he wishes to retire. It was unclear what Shaw had left on his contract, but parties to a contract can mutually agree to part ways. Not saying that will happen with Greg at Rutgers now, but maybe a couple of years down the road?

Forgot about the Congressional investigation into Stanford's pay of Shaw. Did that go anywhere?

I can guarantee no one that matters that makes decisions on Rutgers athletics cares about any “Opinions” given here. They care what donors say. “Real “donors” not opinion keyboard warriors.
However, the reality is that fans are donors, too. They buy tickets and go to games, buy merchandise, watch on TV, give money, all things that bring revenue to the Athletic Department.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
However, the reality is that fans are donors, too. They buy tickets and go to games, buy merchandise, watch on TV, give money, all things that bring revenue to the Athletic Department.
Apparently to some, they don’t count.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: brgRC90
The offense just could not compete once Sam Brown went down. That’s the bottom line. It was also that Noah never did recover to close to the level he was at last year (and he’s obviously not great to begin with but this year he couldn’t even grip the ball consistently). Greg gambled on getting to 6 wins with Noah and Sam. Fired Sean - then Sam got hurt and Noah was never going to be effective without a run game. So we moved on to Wimsatt but the problem is that to this point his arm has not been close to accurate enough to get us 6 wins even with a Sam Brown type stud.

The bottom line is if we’re sticking with Wimsatt and he doesn’t improve drastically, we may not win all the pre-season tune ups next year either. It doesn’t matter who the OC is. If Wimsatt can’t complete simple passes consistly we’re screwed. We do not have a Caroo or Sanu type on the roster to save us.

Off-topic, but I was just looking at your team stats after so much glowing talk about a running back named Sam Brown. And I saw that Evan Simon led the team in passing yardage this season. I didn't think he played enough to do that. I must not have been paying attention. Is there any talk of him playing a role in the future? He seems solid to me, and looks like he has a D1 skill set in my eyes, but I must have missed something based on what I read here...

Why I say boycott it all, send a message

I can't see Greg turning it around without significant NIL support from the boosters. Recruiting is all about offering the better players NIL compensation money. Schools with big booster support are offering recruits 6 and 7 figure compensation deals.

Off-topic, but I was just looking at your team stats after so much glowing talk about a running back named Sam Brown. And I saw that Evan Simon led the team in passing yardage this season. I didn't think he played enough to do that. I must not have been paying attention. Is there any talk of him playing a role in the future? He seems solid to me, and looks like he has a D1 skill set in my eyes, but I must have missed something based on what I read here...
Simon has talent but turns the ball over way too much. You can't be a D1 starter and throw 3 picks per game. Gavin was brought in to be THE GUY but he needs a ton of work. The offense was just a complete disaster most of the year, except for Sam Brown

Simon has talent but turns the ball over way too much. You can't be a D1 starter and throw 3 picks per game. Gavin was brought in to be THE GUY but he needs a ton of work. The offense was just a complete disaster most of the year, except for Sam Brown
Agree with premise that turning the ball over way too much is a problem, but:

Simon had 137 passing attempts and 6 INTs.
Gavin had 145 passing attempts and 7 INTs. He threw 3 picks against Michigan.

EJ Warner, who some of our fans are fawning over, threw 3 picks against Memphis.
WFU QB Sam Hartman threw 3 picks in two separate games.
Houston QB Clayton Tune threw 3 picks against SMU.

Seems to be arbitrary criterion if it happens only once?

It would be very sad if Greg fails. We were hoping he could get us back to 2006, but we haven't made it past 2002 yet. If he can't do it, the next one would certainly be an unproven coordinator who comes highly recommended by some big-name coach. We would continue to be a doormat.

It would be very sad if Greg fails. We were hoping he could get us back to 2006, but we haven't made it past 2002 yet. If he can't do it, the next one would certainly be an unproven coordinator who comes highly recommended by some big-name coach. We would continue to be a doormat.
I bet whoever comes next will have been a HC at some point.

The biggest disappointment this year was not the 4 wins, it was the lack of progress. Next year was supposed to be the breakout year. 6 wins is a reasonable goal. Having said that, if we had 5 wins, with multiple competitive losses, and no blowouts...in other words if we show tangible progress and reason for hope...I don't have a specific number in mind. But we need to show real progress or we likely have to make a change.

It will be sad, but I still have faith he can get it done. Going to need to see at least 6 wins next year. If you recall, there were many people on this board calling for his head the first go round as well. There were signs of improvement then and I see them now too, especially the defense. As I've stated more than once, if we had a decent QB, we likely would have won 6 games, possibly 7 this year and everyone would be happy. He needs to hit the portal hard for a good QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT