ADVERTISEMENT

If Gio started..

Garybredow

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2016
Think this game would’ve gone any different? Think ‘Sit’ should sit next week? What an embarrassment for Ash and company. Any arguments, look at the stats.

Yeah, if Gio started this season (assuming he stayed healthy the whole season), we’d have one one-two more games this season.

But there’d still be no passing game because Gio’s not the best passer and NONE of the WR can catch.

Reactions: Garybredow
Yeah, if Gio started this season (assuming he stayed healthy the whole season), we’d have one one-two more games this season.

But there’d still be no passing game because Gio’s not the best passer and NONE of the WR can catch.
I’d say 5 wins, agree about WR’s. Can’t believe the last three drops of the final drive.

Reactions: RUin2WIN
I was OK with Sitkowski playing this year if it was for development and he'd be an experienced QB next year. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any improvement over the course of the year and there isn't a single game where he looked like a quality prospect. Once RU lost the Kansas and Buffalo games, Gio should have been named starter. If Gio isn't the starter next week, I'd like to see one of the other guys get a shot.

I was OK with Sitkowski playing this year if it was for development and he'd be an experienced QB next year. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any improvement over the course of the year and there isn't a single game where he looked like a quality prospect. Once RU lost the Kansas and Buffalo games, Gio should have been named starter. If Gio isn't the starter next week, I'd like to see one of the other guys get a shot.
How about we make some T-shirts that say ‘ANYONE BUT ART, ANYONE BUT ASH’

Still think Art is a good QB but my thinking all along has been ..........why not start Gio and gradually work in Art.

Reactions: Scarlet83
All you do by developing a QB this way is destroy his confidence.

Art should have been benched in any game after 2 INTS and/or 2 quarters w/out a score. training wheels should have been on all year given how little he played his last year in high school and speed of the game.

Was Penn State playing its first-string defense for all of the second half? In other words, was Gio's performance indicative of what he would have been able to do in the first half?

BTW, you guys will kill me for this, but I looked at the video of the Gio drop a few times. Am I crazy, or was that a hard ball to catch for someone who is not an experienced receiver?

I’m not going to bash a kid like Art because he is a kid and chose to come to Rutgers. I am sure he is beating himself up.
From day 1, you knew Ash was going to hang his hat with Art, but what he did wrong, is help the f-ing kid or help the team in any way.
Gio should have been in many more games and maybe should have started all the games in the 2nd half of the season once everyone saw Art was not progressing.
BTW- like I said in another thread, we ALL love Gio as a person and a football player. Kid just wants to get out there and give it his best on every play.
And man- that last drive, any other team in America, the WRs make those catches. And I felt so bad for Gio when he dropped that perfect play all in the end zone.
At least, we killed any stile points PSU was looking for...

The record would be exactly the same. Except Sitkowski would have become the potential All American savior whose Peyton Manning-level talents were being wasted on the bench by the oblivious coaches. And we'd have threads titled "If Art Started. .."

The record would be exactly the same. Except Sitkowski would have become the potential All American savior whose Peyton Manning-level talents were being wasted on the bench by the oblivious coaches. And we'd have threads titled "If Art Started. .."
This is true too lol

Reactions: RuBird
BTW, you guys will kill me for this, but I looked at the video of the Gio drop a few times. Am I crazy, or was that a hard ball to catch for someone who is not an experienced receiver?

I felt so bad for Gio on that drop. It was a microcosm of our whole season wrapped up into 7 or 8 seconds. I don't feel it was a hard catch to make. Gio was wide, wide open and could have made that catch like it was a baby falling from a fifth story of a building. My 20 year old daughter commented even she could have caught that ball.

Total QBR of 13.1, which mirrors his 131st ranking among starters in the nation. Dead last. Yikes.
Is there a receiver ranking too? AS has poor stats, but it does take 2 to complete a pass. I'm curious if there is a dropped pass ranking to quantify how our receivers play is this season too.

Then you play both QBs. When our QB production is historically forever really freakin bad, play both QBs. And don’t give me the “if you have two QBs, you really have none,”. Our WB play has been below the bottom bad. Play em both, create competition, try to improve the situation.

I felt so bad for Gio on that drop. It was a microcosm of our whole season wrapped up into 7 or 8 seconds. I don't feel it was a hard catch to make. Gio was wide, wide open and could have made that catch like it was a baby falling from a fifth story of a building. My 20 year old daughter commented even she could have caught that ball.
While I get your point and it is not meant as a rip of Gio on the catch. For a QB backpedaling with no idea if a defender may be about to pummel him, it isn't as easy as it looks. I am sure we practice that play but in practice, I am sure it is a hard fast rule that no one touches him. Adrenaline plays in it as well.
I remember back in 07 when we had that lateral to Zuttah. I was talking to Kevin about it and originally, it was planned to go to him but because of injuries, there was so much shuffling on the OL that Zuttah got called to catch it instead. First thing Kevin told me was "Thank God, those 2 seconds the ball would have been in the air would have been the scariest 2 seconds in my life".

Reactions: LETSGORU91

we would still wind up 1-11 no matter who was at qb

Entirely possible, but you don’t think he could’ve squeaked out a W over Northwestern or Indiana? Those were fairly close games.

maybe Northwestern. The Indiana game wasn't as close as the final score indicates; basically, they took their foot off the gas the entire second half.

maybe Northwestern. The Indiana game wasn't as close as the final score indicates; basically, they took their foot off the gas the entire second half.
Not 100% sure they took their foot off but they had just changed QB's, he didnt seem to be on his A game and we couldnt stop their run. They played it smart.

Reactions: retired711
Yeah maybe. I don’t remember anymore. My memory of this season’s games are repressed.

I’d say 5 wins, agree about WR’s. Can’t believe the last three drops of the final drive.
Would love to hear which 5 you think? Texas State is obvious. Throwing for 2/8 yesterday don’t think he beats Penn State. Where are the other 4?

If Gio starts maybe you have a shot to beat one more team, in the end starting him does not cure the the lack of depth on this team.

If Gio starts maybe you have a shot to beat one more team, in the end starting him does not cure the the lack of depth on this team.
A mobile QB that is smart with the football can help with a shacky o-line. not drastic, but it could have moved offensive chains and given D more time to rest. Might have gotten us 2 more wins.

Gio's QBR last year was about 20 points higher than Art's.

Gio can run but hes a below mediocre passer
Whats the upside of starting him,one more win,then he graduates?
The line still sucks,wide recievers run bad routes,then cant catch..

Reactions: OldManRiver
Gio can run but hes a below mediocre passer
Whats the upside of starting him,one more win,then he graduates?
The line still sucks,wide recievers run bad routes,then cant catch..

We should start Art so he can end the season with 4 touchdowns and 20 interceptions.

Reactions: Garybredow
The wild and ridiculos speculation on this site is unbelievable.
I bet if we had any coach other than Ash...we would somehow be leading the B1G and getting ready to play Alabama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT