ADVERTISEMENT

If GS came in following the last game, how many of the top 20 would he flip....

ru-baby

All American
Aug 11, 2001
before the February signing date? I bet a few.

Boy would love to see him recruit with the B1G affiliation to see how that would turn out.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
Def a few. Flood just doesn't have the energy and the presence to reel in the big fish.

Depends, does he own a museum inTennessee, have suitcases of cash, not work in NJ etc etc etc. I'm sure he would get some based on change, name recognition and changes at other schools but nine if the guys people are clamoring for.

Depends, does he own a museum inTennessee, have suitcases of cash, not work in NJ etc etc etc. I'm sure he would get some based on change, name recognition and changes at other schools but nine if the guys people are clamoring for.

I think the saddest part is... if we had just fired Flood when the scandal happened, we could have approached Schiano right away. Now with so many jobs opening up, there's a whole lot of competing bidders out there. Likewise, knowing Schiano - he would have hit the trail that day, and made it his job. Would have been a huge advantage.

I would argue that any new coach coming in would have some excitement about him and be able to flip a few guys.

Reactions: NorthNJRUFan
I'd rather keep Flood another year over bringing in Schiano. Rehiring Schiano might have some short-term benefits, but long-term would be one of the worst things to happen to Rutgers football, because if we were to rehire Schiano we'd be stuck with him. You can't turn around and fire him after he plateaus at 7 or 8 win regular seasons.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Right off the bat I think he gets us Fuller and Haskins. And we make a run at others in the Top 20.

GS has ties to Bill Bellichek (Spelling?).
Say what you want about his gametime adjustments (which was mediocre), but his defensive work - especially with the DB - is outstanding. GS took the time out to evaluate his coaching style and I think he would be better this time.
Nick Saban = failed NFL Coach
how did that work out?

Reactions: Best7Years

Who exactly would get excited for a coach that failed in the NFL, hasn't been able to find work in 2 years and never won a single conference championship in college?

Probably only people on this message board

Are you really that blind? "Hasn't been able to find work in 2 years"? He is getting paid $3 million/year and is sitting back and evaluating his opportunities. Do you really think that if he wanted to take a DC position at a major program or head job at a smaller school, that he would not be employed? Ask yourself why did he get the opportunity to coach in the NFL (has any RU coach in any sport been offered a head pro sports job before?) and have schools like Mich/Miami/etc offering him based on his work at RU? Like you wrote, "only people living in their parents' basement on this message board."

I would argue that any new coach coming in would have some excitement about him and be able to flip a few guys.

This. Schiano is a good recruiter hes not great. Plenty of the other names that have been mentioned s a possible coach could flip a player or two if they were hired before the Bowl season was underway.

This. Schiano is a good recruiter hes not great. Plenty of the other names that have been mentioned s a possible coach could flip a player or two if they were hired before the Bowl season was underway.

Schiano was a great recruiter at Miami when he landed DJ Williams and others. He would be a great recruiter at RU now that RU is B1G. Kinda like Pete Carrroll at USC.

Schiano took us from depths to respectability. I think his problem as HC was that he was too hands on; need to let your OC and DC do their jobs. Maybe he plateaued, who knows.

BUT, I certainly think he would create some recruiting buzz. Does he flip anyone; not sure. Does he supplement and improve the current recruiting class, I would say absolutely. He can certainly motivate a team. The guy is energetic, passionate, and he has a vision of where he wants to go. Hell, he sold the Administration on the expansion, most here would have bet against that ever happening.

GS has ties to Bill Bellichek (Spelling?).
Say what you want about his gametime adjustments (which was mediocre), but his defensive work - especially with the DB - is outstanding. GS took the time out to evaluate his coaching style and I think he would be better this time.
Nick Saban = failed NFL Coach
how did that work out?

Nick Saban did not have a reputation of being an ego maniac that players did not like in the NFL. You also miss the fact that Saban had won a National Championship at LSU along with two SEC titles prior to going to the NFL.

Nick Saban did not have a reputation of being an ego maniac that players did not like in the NFL. You also miss the fact that Saban had won a National Championship at LSU along with two SEC titles prior to going to the NFL.

Facts and rationale have no place on this board. It is a free for all for ABF (Anybody But Flood). I have been waiting for the Hire Whisenhunt thread to start after his firing yesterday.

Boy would love to see him recruit with the B1G affiliation to see how that would turn out.
Not any more or less than any other decent candidate. Thats the great thing about the Big Ten affiliation - it should provide enough ammo that we no longer NEED a Schiano (plus Halfley etc) to recruit NJ well, as long as the coach isnt a complete joke.

Honestly I believe none. It would take a full year to start making inroads with the next class. Recruiting is a multi year process unless you are a top 5 school.

Facts and rationale have no place on this board. It is a free for all for ABF (Anybody But Flood). I have been waiting for the Hire Whisenhunt thread to start after his firing yesterday.

I understand Nick Saban won at LSU, was just stating the a failed NFL coach doesn't mean your a failed college coach.
2 totally different entities (NFL vs College)
Heck, how was Bill Bellichek as the Cleveland Browns Coach? Pete Carroll as the Jets coach?
Once Greg (Gary) Schiano returns to coaching we will see if he has learned form his past mistakes and is a better coach.
No one will know until he takes a job (which he will someplace).

Our Defense can not stop anyone.
I am OK if Kyle stays, but the Defensive Coordinator has to go.

Are you really that blind? "Hasn't been able to find work in 2 years"? He is getting paid $3 million/year and is sitting back and evaluating his opportunities. Do you really think that if he wanted to take a DC position at a major program or head job at a smaller school, that he would not be employed? Ask yourself why did he get the opportunity to coach in the NFL (has any RU coach in any sport been offered a head pro sports job before?) and have schools like Mich/Miami/etc offering him based on his work at RU? Like you wrote, "only people living in their parents' basement on this message board."

I don't know why he got the chance to coach in the NFL. He didn't deserve it. Michigan also hired Brady Hoke. Miami offered based on the heels of one successful season in 2006 and he had previous success there as a DC. It also means absolutely nothing if any other coach has been offered a head coaching job.

I should have added to my original how his Tampa players seemed to revolt under him which seems to be consistent with how Anthony Davis has spoken about him as well.

Why would recruits be excited for a coach who has been out of sight for 2 years and has no college coaching since they entered HS? Even if you want to play up the NFL thing, he failed there.

Odd I don't remember typing anything about basements but even still it is only this board that worships him for turning us around (I admit that) by beating up on the little sisters of the poor and getting us to low tier bowl games.

Schiano has a pretty good track record of getting players into NFL, and connections to NFL is helpful and promising to a recruit who has ambitions to play professionally. Cannot discount that influence, and he did it with not necessarily high rated HS players coming in, .... and pre-B1G. Now he would have more tools than ever before and the marketing machine of the B1G. I say he flips a few and finds a few diamonds in the ruff as he did in the past. Good evaluator of talent. Healthy topic to debate... we shall see if it comes to fruition. Plus...gotta assume he matured a little in regards of not controlling things 100% as in the past.

I don't know why he got the chance to coach in the NFL. He didn't deserve it. Michigan also hired Brady Hoke. Miami offered based on the heels of one successful season in 2006 and he had previous success there as a DC. It also means absolutely nothing if any other coach has been offered a head coaching job.

I should have added to my original how his Tampa players seemed to revolt under him which seems to be consistent with how Anthony Davis has spoken about him as well.

Why would recruits be excited for a coach who has been out of sight for 2 years and has no college coaching since they entered HS? Even if you want to play up the NFL thing, he failed there.

Odd I don't remember typing anything about basements but even still it is only this board that worships him for turning us around (I admit that) by beating up on the little sisters of the poor and getting us to low tier bowl games.

Getting us to lower tier bowl games on a consistent basis took a minor miracle. That is why he was is such high demand and got a chance to coach in the NFL. That's what you don't seem to understand. By your high standards, he didn't deserve it? You really must think highly of yourself.

If we go 4-8 this year, that will be the same record schiano had with Rutgers the year b4 he quit.

Nick Saban comparisons? Geez louise.

I think many people on here think GS is the same coach he was 10 years ago and hasn't learned or matured over the years. Read this article maybe it will change your opinion.
GS would be a huge up-grade over where we are now, but I'm not sure he wants to return to RU nor am I convinced that he's the best candidate for the price out there. Still, I can see the appeal and I'm sure he'll be coaching again soon.

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
I think many people on here think GS is the same coach he was 10 years ago and hasn't learned or matured over the years. Read this article maybe it will change your opinion.
GS would be a huge up-grade over where we are now, but I'm not sure he wants to return to RU nor am I convinced that he's the best candidate for the price out there. Still, I can see the appeal and I'm sure he'll be coaching again soon.

I think everyone has read the article, it is still one thing to say you have changed then actually changing. Even if he has changed, not sure of the impact that would have on flipping kids in the 2016 class.

I think I remember when Schiano was first hired, didn't he invite the top 25 kids to meeting and flipped a number of them, including the top player in NJ (Cook?) And I think that even the most diehard anti-Schianos concede he was at least a good recruiter (especially considering our situation and history.) How he would perform as a coach and program builder are the things that should be debated.

There are no guarantees no matter who we hire. And where is it written we have to keep a coach for the next 20 years? We've hired the rainbow of background since we went "big time." Anderson: OC at P5 school (PSU) with ties to NJ. Graber: NFL coach. Shea:NFL QB guru. Schiano P5 DC, NFL coach. Flood: OL coach. I'm amazed We haven't hired a mid-major coach. Does that mean it's time to go that route?

We've been reading the gamut of success and failure. Failed NFL HC that failed in College, that were successful in college. P5 coordinators and mid-level HCs of coordinators that failed and succeeded when they moved up. Some doing both! Every combination of positions and successes/failures. The only thing we're sure of is that we're not sure of the outcome (with the exception of hiring a presently successful P5 HC that we couldn't possibly afford. And even then there are examples of utter failures.)

We are, however, in the relatively unique (don't get on me, linguists) position of previously seeing one guy in action. His results (or lack). Assuming we could afford him, he wants to come here, and the admin wants him (no small assumptions) we come down to three camps: Absolutely Yes, Absolutely No, and "convince me".

The only thin we can do with the first two is count them. The "convince me" crowd seems to me to be centered on 'has he changed'? Will he be the same egomaniacal, micromanaging, can't keep his nose out of the offense, hard-headed, I-ain't-changing my ways, guy......or.......has he matured as an individual and a coach to where he will delegate (particularly to the OC), become more sensitive to his players (some controversy here -- I have it on good sources that Saban, Maier, and Harbaugh don't sing "Koom-by-yaa."), and open to suggestion and change on game day.

Again...no guarantees here. After you bring out the yellow legal pad, sharpen your pencil, and categorize the the pluses and minuses on each side you end up saying to yourself:

What's the Upside? What's the downside? Don't look at it emotionally. See it like the AD and the administration are supposed to (and hopefully) be seeing it. We ain't changing the "Yes" people any more than were changing the "No' people. It could very well rest with the "convince me" people.

I think I remember when Schiano was first hired, didn't he invite the top 25 kids to meeting and flipped a number of them, including the top player in NJ (Cook?)

//

That's initiative very few have had, and done when we were a laughingstock. Seems people either didn't live through or forget how low RU fball was. GS created pride and an identity, WHICH IS IN FACT WHAT IS NEEDED AGAIN.

Forgetting his coaching for a minute, the guy could flat out recruit. He had a cellar dweller in the BE to sell, followed by a program in a dying BE then moved to the AAC with rumors we were to be left out of the Power 5. And his last class in that environment was the class so good it had to be held together by keeping someone with the stink of GS on them who was in no way qualified. The idea that he was just ok as a recruiter is flat out wrong. There seems to be some anger towards GS but that coloring doesn't change the facts.

Personally I think if he came in here in late Nov it would create a huge buzz and with the storyline of taking OSU down and playing in a rose bowl for NJ he would recruit the hell out of the state and Fla again.

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
//

That's initiative very few have had, and done when we were a laughingstock. Seems people either didn't live through or forget how low RU fball was. GS created pride and an identity, WHICH IS IN FACT WHAT IS NEEDED AGAIN.

Forgetting his coaching for a minute, the guy could flat out recruit. He had a cellar dweller in the BE to sell, followed by a program in a dying BE then moved to the AAC with rumors we were to be left out of the Power 5. And his last class in that environment was the class so good it had to be held together by keeping someone with the stink of GS on them who was in no way qualified. The idea that he was just ok as a recruiter is flat out wrong. There seems to be some anger towards GS but that coloring doesn't change the facts.

Personally I think if he came in here in late Nov it would create a huge buzz and with the storyline of taking OSU down and playing in a rose bowl for NJ he would recruit the hell out of the state and Fla again.
You ignore the period 2006-2010 before he got Halfley and the Big East fell apart, but after we were no longer a cellar dweller.

He's a candidate for the Miami job. Not their #1 choice but he's in play
Good - hopefully he gets it, so this board will stop talking about him coming here. Let him go .500 down there for a while.

LOL at GS taking OSU down. The guys record against winning P5 teams is almost as bad as Flood's. and I think if you exclude 2006 is probably AS bad.

Reactions: mighty_knights
I think I remember when Schiano was first hired, didn't he invite the top 25 kids to meeting and flipped a number of them, including the top player in NJ (Cook?) And I think that even the most diehard anti-Schianos concede he was at least a good recruiter (especially considering our situation and history.) How he would perform as a coach and program builder are the things that should be debated.

Besides Cook, the only additional Top 25 player he brought in that year was Ryan Neill. And his best year were the years he had Jeff Hafley closing the deals. I doubt Hafley leaves the NFL.

Shea:NFL QB guru.

Hey, the QB guru got Mike McMahon, arguably the best QB Rutgers has had over the last 20 years. The problem was the other 21 positions on the field.

Coach Schiano will be coaching next season, this is a fact! The reason: "He wants to". We have a HC so there is no opening at RU. Our coach should be supported while he is in that position. If, an when, a HC position becomes available at RU everyone on this board should drop to their knees and pray to their Creator that they would be able to get the Coach. Trust me we need him a lot more than he needs us!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT