ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois is a true barometer game

Top 15 defenses in the nation, not including stats from this week. Notice any familiar names?

1 Florida
2 Ohio St.*
3 Kansas St.
4 Michigan*
5 Houston
6 Boston College
7 Miami (FL)
8 Alabama
9 Virginia Tech
10 Army West Point
11 Southern Miss.
12 Clemson
13 Colorado
14 Wisconsin
15 Washington*

Fun fact, New Mexico is tied for 50th on this list.

Top 9 Scoring Offenses in the nation, not including stats from this week. Same question.

1 Texas Tech
2 Louisville
3 Ohio St.*
4 Miami (FL)
5 South Fla.
6 Washington*
7 Toledo
8 Western Mich.
9 Michigan*

Fun fact #2, New Mexico is tied for 49th on this list.

Let's see how we do against someone else NOT in the top 15 of these categories.

I think Rutgers will be lucky to get to 4 - 8. Right now, 3 -9 or even 2 - 10 is more likely. If Illinois isn't a win, forget it.
And why in the hell would you think anyone on here would give two sh*ts about a psu fans prediction for our school. You seriously are a dumbass aren't you. Nobody cares about your stupid friggin prediction just go away and take cheesedick vegas with you.

And why in the hell would you think anyone on here would give two sh*ts about a psu fans prediction for our school. You seriously are a dumbass aren't you. Nobody cares about your stupid friggin prediction just go away and take cheesedick vegas with you.
Fine, come back and repeat your post if I'm wrong at the end of the season.

I think Rutgers will be lucky to get to 4 - 8. Right now, 3 -9 or even 2 - 10 is more likely. If Illinois isn't a win, forget it.

I don't know how you can think we'll win another game this season. First, we have NO quarterback....that's kinda significant right there. Second, we have NO wide receivers. Both of those things will put a serious crimp in your running game. And when you factor in that we are below average at every offensive line position...we're screwed.
I'm not a fan of this new offense they're in love with, but I guess we've gotta give them some time for its development. But the last two games have to make one question if this new staff and this new offense has us headed in the right direction.

Reactions: Howie'81
Oh yah!! My dad can beat up your dad, so suck it

We struggle to see why you are here, there are loads of assholes and douches on BWI that you can share recipes with and play dungeons and dragons
I'm actually a Rutgers alumnus. MBA in '85. Is that enough of an interest for you for me to be here?

Seriously? Right now PSU would beat you by 30, minimum.

Struggling to figure what your motivation is for being here sharing your predictions with us so soon after such a momentous moment in Rutgers football history.

I'm actually a Rutgers alumnus. MBA in '85. Is that enough of an interest for you for me to be here?
th
Howie, is that you in the banana hammock?

Thanks let me see if I got this right I'll use it in a sentence. Charlie Brown said, "you're a dumbass Howie81 ". Do I have it correct now?

I don't have enough red ink to correct the issues here.

As far as your point, I don't know Howie so I'll refrain from commenting.

We won't win another game. The offense is horrific beyond anything I've ever seen and defense has no depth or experience

Reactions: R1776U
We just got through the toughest part of the schedule. During which we played 3 of the top teams in the nation and got beat badly by team as was expected, well maybe not by people who take Rutgers Al pre-season picks seriously. We also won two games and were able to hang with Iowa.

The rest of the season is no where near as bad. Last year when Carroo wasn't in the game, the Pro-Set offense couldn't do anything at all. This year when Grant isn't in the game the Spread offense can't do anything at all. That is what is called a serious depth issue. The coaching will have to really get creative as to how on Earth we can do anything on offense.

If they can figure how that puzzle we STILL have a chance to go bowling this year. I know that sounds crazy after the worse lost since the 1800's, but it is true.

My preseason picks thread predicted of us ending up with 3-4 wins will most likely still happen but you never know.

No matter how much the trolls here are loving what happen last night, the season is not over and we won't see any team near as good as UW, OSU or UM for the rest of the year.

We won't win another game. The offense is horrific beyond anything I've ever seen and defense has no depth or experience

On the bright RU is making fans buy a game next year in Yankee Stadium as part of the season ticket renewal package. WOW. They will go over real well. Expect thousands of cancellations unfortunately.

dude relax.. he has a very valid point

They have similar talent. That game will tell us really where we are with the staff.
Haven't you heard? Nobody in the history of football has similar talent to us. It is not possible for us to tell where we are with the staff. See you in 4 years when we are allowed to discuss the staff.

Reactions: RickB113
Rokodesh- you sound suicidal. I hope you don't have any sharp objects in your hands

Posted this in another thread. This is what I saw when NU played Illinois.

Illinois probably has the 2 best DE's in the Big 10. They are big and very fast. Both are Sunday guys. Their LB's are pretty good but not the fastest. Their secondary isn't very good but they get by because their front 4 get a lot of pressure quickly. NU had trouble with their DE's(started 3 walk-ins on oline because of injury) until they got tired mid 4th quarter. Depth on defense is an issue.

Offensively Lunt played QB against NU for all but a few plays and he is kind of a statue in the pocket. Against Purdue they brought in the other QB who is much more mobile and a playmaker vs Lunt. It was rumored it was going to happen if Lunt didn't start pushing the ball down field more. He was always just dumping it off. Their receivers are fair to good. They have one tall and fast one that is their go to guy. He is a mismatch for any DB. Their oline is not real good at pass blocking but do a good job in the run game. The QB switch is suppose to help that bexause they can move him around. They play 4 RB's and 2 of them are really good and one of them is a home run hitter in space. They are better at blocking/running stuff between the tackles.

Their punter likes to out kick his coverage and doesn't get a lot of hang time. Their coverage units are decent. No clue on their fg kicker.

If Lunt plays he has a tendency to make some bad decisions and can throw into coverage. That's why he started checking down quickly so he didn't make the big mistake. I think your odds are better if he plays vs the other kid.

I'm going to guess Illinois -9.5, but I don't follow the gambling aspect much.

Reactions: redking
They have similar talent. That game will tell us really where we are with the staff.
What would like to see from RU in that game? Would a competitive effort be enough to reestablish confidence in Ash and Co?

Rokodesh- you sound suicidal. I hope you don't have any sharp objects in your hands

Not at all, I forget about the game 5 minutes after it ends and move on with my life. we are probably the worst team in the country, should I pretend our current team is even mediocre?

Last edited:
What would like to see from RU in that game? Would a competitive effort be enough to reestablish confidence in Ash and Co?
Be competitive against a 1-4 team. This statement shows Ash needs to step up big time.

On the bright RU is making fans buy a game next year in Yankee Stadium as part of the season ticket renewal package. WOW. They will go over real well. Expect thousands of cancellations unfortunately.
Won't have to buy tickets, they'll be giveaways at this rate.

And none of them will be close either. A few more uglies at home will be hard to swallow, like Indiana.

Disagree. I think many here are seriously underestimating just how good the D's, and even the O's, we've played to date are (Wash, Mich, OSU). I'm not a huge fan of our talent at this point - obviously - but even I think we'll be a lot more competitive the rest of the season. A lot of this is "relative" thus far.

Haven't you heard? Nobody in the history of football has similar talent to us. It is not possible for us to tell where we are with the staff. See you in 4 years when we are allowed to discuss the staff.
Actually, that's the point of the OP. When you have similar talent, you can judge the staff. To criticize the staff for getting beat downs from Washington, OSU, and UM is a bit histrionic. We are about on the level of Iowa but if we lose more starters, not so much. So watch these next 3 games for clues to what we will look like in 4 years.

Reactions: mildone
We're going from 6 to 2 seats next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT