ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa’s OOC schedule, oh my

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
People talk about our OOC schedule, but holy mackerel look at the Hawkeye’s OOC schedule:

- Longwood - W 106-73
- Kansas City - W 88-57
- NC Central - W 86-69
- Alabama State - W 108-82
- Western Michigan- W 109-61
- Portland State - W 85-51
- Virginia - W 75-74. - good win on the road
- Iowa State L 53-73 on the road
- Utah State - W 94-75
- SE Louisiana- W 93-62
- Western Illinois - W 92-71

They went 10-1, with one very good win on the road against UVA, one bad loss on the road against ISU, and nine comfy blowout wins against cupcakes.

Before anyone says it, yes, they didn’t lose any of these awful games like we lost to Lafayette and UMass (I don’t consider DePaul to be a “bad loss” - disappointing but it was Quad 2).

They are 3-3 in the B1G so far:

- L 70-77 on the road against Purdue
- L 83-87 at home against Illinois
- W 80-75 at home against Maryland
- L 78-87 on the road against Wisconsin
- W 83-74 at home against Indiana
- W 81-71 on the road against Minnesota

So if you include the UVA and ISU games, Iowa averages 75 ppg in games against real competition, and gives up 77 ppg. Granted, some of that is skewed by the fact that they’ve played three of the top 5 teams in the conference (Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin), and by an outlier type of game against ISU in which they only scored 53 points.

Point is, this is a VERY winnable game against a team that has a very good offense — and possibly the OPOY in Keegan Murray — but a poor defense.

Give em credit. As soft as that is they kicked butt.
Now I hope we kick whiney, baby, Franny and his boys butt.
Love Iowa's football team. Can't stand the round ballers.

Yeah that OOC is straight garbage. F Fran. What a freakin' hothead. So glad the big ugly Garza is gone. Should be a fun game. If there's RAC magic, we'll beat 'em.

UVA is not good this year.
10-7 (4-3), sure not as great as they’ve been, but still good, and you have to give credit where credit is due, that’s a good win on the road for Iowa.

But I’m not sure there’s another “good” win in their 13 wins. Guess it’s a tossup between Indiana at home (which is 0-4 on the road) and Minnesota in the road.

Doesn’t mean they’re not a good team, they’ve played who they’ve played.

People talk about our OOC schedule, but holy mackerel look at the Hawkeye’s OOC schedule:

- Longwood - W 106-73
- Kansas City - W 88-57
- NC Central - W 86-69
- Alabama State - W 108-82
- Western Michigan- W 109-61
- Portland State - W 85-51
- Virginia - W 75-74. - good win on the road
- Iowa State L 53-73 on the road
- Utah State - W 94-75
- SE Louisiana- W 93-62
- Western Illinois - W 92-71

They went 10-1, with one very good win on the road against UVA, one bad loss on the road against ISU, and nine comfy blowout wins against cupcakes.

Before anyone says it, yes, they didn’t lose any of these awful games like we lost to Lafayette and UMass (I don’t consider DePaul to be a “bad loss” - disappointing but it was Quad 2).

They are 3-3 in the B1G so far:

- L 70-77 on the road against Purdue
- L 83-87 at home against Illinois
- W 80-75 at home against Maryland
- L 78-87 on the road against Wisconsin
- W 83-74 at home against Indiana
- W 81-71 on the road against Minnesota

So if you include the UVA and ISU games, Iowa averages 75 ppg in games against real competition, and gives up 77 ppg. Granted, some of that is skewed by the fact that they’ve played three of the top 5 teams in the conference (Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin), and by an outlier type of game against ISU in which they only scored 53 points.

Point is, this is a VERY winnable game against a team that has a very good offense — and possibly the OPOY in Keegan Murray — but a poor defense.
Iowa St is 14-3 (2-3) and ranked 15th

I applaud the positive outlook... but I'd prefer they had a good D and poor offense. We seem capable of throwing up poor offensive efforts against suspect defenses and while our D is good to great.. good shooting can beat it.

We just have to play hard TEAM BASKETBALL. Want it more and play with discipline.

How is losing on the road at Iowa State a bad loss? As of this morning ISU is 11-1 at home & that one loss was to Baylor.

They're currently ranked No. 15 in the country.

That's a bad loss?

Last edited:
I applaud the positive outlook... but I'd prefer they had a good D and poor offense. We seem capable of throwing up poor offensive efforts against suspect defenses and while our D is good to great.. good shooting can beat it.

We just have to play hard TEAM BASKETBALL. Want it more and play with discipline.
Agree - our offense feeds off of our defense.

Iowa State is better than Iowa and it's intra-state rivalry that was on the road. Losing by 20 may be the 'bad' aspect but the OP is ridiculous without adding that specific qualifier.

I'm also not sure USU is quite a cupcake like the other 8 they are lumped in with.

If this is the last time Geo and Ron play Iowa, you have to hope they want to beat them bad. They have been a bit of a rival in basketball during their tenure and they are a weak, dirty team

Iowa State is better than Iowa and it's intra-state rivalry that was on the road. Losing by 20 may be the 'bad' aspect but the OP is ridiculous without adding that specific qualifier.

I'm also not sure USU is quite a cupcake like the other 8 they are lumped in with.
That’s really what I meant re: the ISU loss. It was a “good” loss in the sense that ISU is a top 25 team and the game was on the road, but “bad” because they weren’t competitive against their cross-state arch rival.

Reactions: RUnTeX
That’s really what I meant re: the ISU loss. It was a “good” loss in the sense that ISU is a top 25 team and the game was on the road, but “bad” because they weren’t competitive against their cross-state arch rival.
I think this may be a case of modeling your team through recruiting to compete in the BIG TEN and that leaves you open to possible mismatches with smaller faster teams. I think Big Ten football suffers come bowl season from similar issues.. that is.. cold and bad weather teams that are big and slowish might win the Big Ten but come bowl games indoors or in warm sunny weather and the same things that gained them an advantage in the Big Ten can hurt them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT