ADVERTISEMENT

Is Simpson Around Next Season?

Great to see what we saw out of Simpson yesterday. When your shot isn't falling, you need to do other things to help the team. Career high in assists, tied career high in rebounds, one off his career high for ORB, got to the line for 7 attempts - all great things to see for a guy who is struggling to find the bottom of the net. He also took fewer long twos, which was a great step in the right direction.

I'd love him to consistently be that guy - even after he figures out how to see the ball go through the rim consistently again.

I don't know what's going on with his shot, though. 6 of his last 7 games have been sub-.300... and he's almost shooting as well from outside the arc as he is from inside the arc. Just baffling.

Great to see what we saw out of Simpson yesterday. When your shot isn't falling, you need to do other things to help the team. Career high in assists, tied career high in rebounds, one off his career high for ORB, got to the line for 7 attempts - all great things to see for a guy who is struggling to find the bottom of the net. He also took fewer long twos, which was a great step in the right direction.

I'd love him to consistently be that guy - even after he figures out how to see the ball go through the rim consistently again.

I don't know what's going on with his shot, though. 6 of his last 7 games have been sub-.300... and he's almost shooting as well from outside the arc as he is from inside the arc. Just baffling.
This is what I've been saying about Simpson. If his shot isn't falling he needs to do a better job distributing, rebounding, etc. There is more than one way to impact a game positively. He needs to not have a one track mind to only score and he might be finally realizing that which will make him more of a winning player

It seems unlikely he will ever be a truly efficient scorer at this point, but if he can find a way to just be even decently efficient it would be so huge as long as he continues to defend dish rebound and hit foul shots

You have to think he can't actually be THIS bad of a shooter so hopefully he can finish with a really strong second half of the season

Nothing said on this board means anything. You guys talk way too much and know nothing about what goes on in practice and in the huddles. Talk is cheap.

If he was shooting too much a handful of games back it was because the staff was telling him to shoot. Gavin throws up shots before he even gets his warmups off and that is because the staff wants him to shoot.

Derek just played a great all around game. You guys should just say it and stop with all of the nonsense. You know nothing about what Pike wants from these kids. Zilch. Zero. Nada.

Nothing said on this board means anything. You guys talk way too much and know nothing about what goes on in practice and in the huddles. Talk is cheap.

If he was shooting too much a handful of games back it was because the staff was telling him to shoot. Gavin throws up shots before he even gets his warmups off and that is because the staff wants him to shoot.

Derek just played a great all around game. You guys should just say it and stop with all of the nonsense. You know nothing about what Pike wants from these kids. Zilch. Zero. Nada.
Pike has repeatedly talked in the past that sometimes shots fall and sometimes they don't, and that you have to do all the other things. Simpson did a great job this last game doing all the other things, and he's been better at all the other things the last few games than he was at the start of the season.

But his shot is still not falling. Really hope that slump ends soon.

It's pretty clear that Simpson is doing more of what the coaches want than the other guards, because he's getting more minutes. That's not rocket science. On the flip side, Fernandes is getting fewer and fewer minutes - and the reactions from the bench when he passes up open shots is an indication that he's not doing things the coaches have told him to do.

Griffiths has also gotten fewer minutes, which speaks to how well he's doing what the coaches want him to do while on the floor.

Reactions: Scangg and RUBOB72
If a guy like this leaves it will hurt if only because of his time and experience. Derek is going to be ok … with a stronger team which we should be next season he can be that 6th off the bench guy. That is where it appears he could be a vital component in the lineup.

If a guy like this leaves it will hurt if only because of his time and experience. Derek is going to be ok … with a stronger team which we should be next season he can be that 6th off the bench guy. That is where it appears he could be a vital component in the lineup.
You’re nuts if you think a player like Simpson is looking to come off the bench next season. If he improves his shooting down the stretch of games and becomes “The Guy” you know how many programs will be coming at him to offer NIL$ [Including within the conference]?

Kid has the ability to be All BIG in the next couple of seasons and he just needs to continue improving makes, playing under control going to the basket and looking to draw two defenders to dump ball to Cliff for dunks. Simpson plays solid defense and is not afraid to take the big shot.

GO RU

Reactions: G- RUnit
Hey , I like Simpson and that is why next year , if still here, he starts off as 6th first in. In actuality being that 6th guy is more important to the team. He’ll probably get more minutes and more hype in that spot. What does starting mean … to get taken out after 4 minutes to sit next to Pikiell. Did Baker, McConnell come in as 6th man ever? Hell it means nada… I hope he stays because IF we have what we all hope to be it will potentially be an exciting season .

Reactions: G- RUnit

I would also add his general hustle plays to the mix. The best one didn’t go our way but when he dove for that ball and slid out of bounds on his back while passing it to one of our guys, I was like, wow! You win with players (and plays) like that.

Hey , I like Simpson and that is why next year , if still here, he starts off as 6th first in. In actuality being that 6th guy is more important to the team. He’ll probably get more minutes and more hype in that spot. What does starting mean … to get taken out after 4 minutes to sit next to Pikiell. Did Baker, McConnell come in as 6th man ever? Hell it means nada… I hope he stays because IF we have what we all hope to be it will potentially be an exciting season .
I don’t understand how he’s not a starter next season with only three players (Harper, Bailey and Sommerville) from the incoming class that you can pencil in as starters?

Simpson would be the PG with J. Williams, JaMike or Gavin battling for the 5th spot and one of the other two would be first off the bench and so on.

Midway into the season (like now in this season) you find out who are the starting five that will each play 25+mins.

I’m sure Simpson wants recognition but I’m sure he wants to win at a high level and having the influx of a Top 2-3 recruit class coming in will help In achieving that goal.

Again, we’re talking about a player who has given us glimpses of the type of player that can compete at a high level (4* recruit type expectations) but has to continue developing his game.

Hopefully Simpson continues the upswing in the next two critical games.

GO RU

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I would also add his general hustle plays to the mix. The best one didn’t go our way but when he dove for that ball and slid out of bounds on his back while passing it to one of our guys, I was like, wow! You win with players (and plays) like that.

That was great effort, and almost a spectacular play if he could have gotten rid of it a half second sooner. He hit the floor a few times, and brought great energy all game. Also loved his looking to get other players involved, especially Omoruyi, who had double-digit FGA for the first time since 12/16 vs. LIU.

Really hoping Simpson can keep up this level of play, and that whatever is going on with his FG% works itself out soon.

I don’t understand how he’s not a starter next season with only three players (Harper, Bailey and Sommerville) from the incoming class that you can pencil in as starters?

Simpson would be the PG with J. Williams, JaMike or Gavin battling for the 5th spot and one of the other two would be first off the bench and so on.

Midway into the season (like now in this season) you find out who are the starting five that will each play 25+mins.

I’m sure Simpson wants recognition but I’m sure he wants to win at a high level and having the influx of a Top 2-3 recruit class coming in will help In achieving that goal.

Again, we’re talking about a player who has given us glimpses of the type of player that can compete at a high level (4* recruit type expectations) but has to continue developing his game.

GO RU

Our options right now going into next year are Simpson, J. Williams, and Davis. We've heard a lot of positive things about Williams coming out of practice from various sources, and he had success at his prior stop at Temple - but we haven't seen him at game speed in our system yet. My guess is that the other guard spot will come down to Simpson/Williams going into next year, unless Griffiths turns a major corner in the next several weeks.

Our options right now going into next year are Simpson, J. Williams, and Davis. We've heard a lot of positive things about Williams coming out of practice from various sources, and he had success at his prior stop at Temple - but we haven't seen him at game speed in our system yet. My guess is that the other guard spot will come down to Simpson/Williams going into next year, unless Griffiths turns a major corner in the next several weeks.
Yup. Competition will dictate. J Williams is still a fictitious person until we see how he plays but agree that Simpson and JaMike will battle for the starting PG spot.

GO RU

I wouldn’t be surprised if 1-2 borderline NBA players want to transfer in to play with Dylan and Ace and win while increasing their draft stock

I wouldn’t be surprised if 1-2 borderline NBA players want to transfer in to play with Dylan and Ace and win while increasing their draft stock
I would. There’s only one ball and those borderline players would seek more PT and scoring opportunities elsewhere.

Reactions: winfield102

GO RU
He could be the starter. He also could be the spark as the 6th man. It won’t be a question of minutes Simpson will get his minutes. It’s semantics… what actually is your reasoning for saying Simpson has to be the starter ? He still has not proven that just yet. Athletically and talent wise he can be that starter. But there is a spot as the 6th guy where he might just flourish. John Havlicek was a great 6th man… became a HOF starter.

Reactions: PaKnight
Yup. Competition will dictate. J Williams is still a fictitious person until we see how he plays but agree that Simpson and JaMike will battle for the starting PG spot.

GO RU
DH at the point? … don’t laugh. If that happens with J Williams orJ Mike…even if he stayed he’ll be the dreaded 6th man superstar .

If fans don’t see Derek Harper at the point then they need to take a pause. Would make a dynamic , flex piece for Pikiell and crew. Just hope Mag stays as that may be the ultimate get. Don’t think Cliff stays.

You’re nuts if you think a player like Simpson is looking to come off the bench next season. If he improves his shooting down the stretch of games and becomes “The Guy” you know how many programs will be coming at him to offer NIL$ [Including within the conference]?

Kid has the ability to be All BIG in the next couple of seasons and he just needs to continue improving makes, playing under control going to the basket and looking to draw two defenders to dump ball to Cliff for dunks. Simpson plays solid defense and is not afraid to take the big shot.

GO RU
Simpson needs to do a complete 180 shooting for any of this to happen. He's among the least efficient shooters in all of D1 right now. Going from that to ALL B1G is a massive jump in performance. You just don't typically see that kind of turnaround. More realistic is hoping he can up his shooting numbers to be closer to average

Spark plug 6th man is probably his ideal roll if we had starting quality B1G guards unless he can figure out how to shoot it better

As for next year, Dylan is a ball dominate guard and so is Simpson. I think letting Simpson run when Dylan is out makes a lot of sense. Some overlapping minutes for sure

Reactions: bitnez
While I love the kid, Simpson is nowhere near an all B1G player. Some of our fans are in LaLaLand. He has improved his rebounding and last game was his best assist game all year, but let’s not get carried away. And while he plays pretty good defense, he just played the least physical guard in the league and fans are praising him for holding to 16 pts when he only averages 14.6 ppg.

As for next year, unless he’s willing to come off the bench, there is no role for him. He dominates the ball too much and we don’t need another volume shooter in the starting lineup with Ace and DH.

He deserves to be back and more of a plus than JMike. Or you are not being honest.

Not sure what happened between games that he only got 19 minutes today. His shot still isn't falling, but not sure where the rest of his game went from last outing to this one.... And back to taking dumb long distance two's.

Really really hoping that J. Williams is a player.

Reactions: Scangg
He deserves to be back and more of a plus than JMike. Or you are not being honest.
We got bigger problems than Simpson. How about running an offense? How about blocking out, and except for next year, how about recruiting? The last two years the staff has been a much bigger problem than Derek. JMike has big upside. Can the staff bring it out? I tend to doubt it.

We got bigger problems than Simpson. How about running an offense? How about blocking out, and except for next year, how about recruiting? The last two years the staff has been a much bigger problem than Derek.
None of our current guards should be starting, tbh. Staff expected Spencer back, and I have to assume felt Mulcahy was better than 50% to return.

We run an offense, but our guards are subpar and can't execute. We also seem to be unable to the hit the ocean if we were throwing a rock from a rowboat.

Also, if you're complaining about recruiting over the last two years, you're also complaining about Simpson being here at all.

I hate when we under sell this kid 20 games into his sophomore year - compared to Baker's senior year:

Rebounds:
Baker - 2.1
Simpson - 3.3

Foul Shooting
Baker - .741
Simpson - .852

3 Point Percentage
Baker - .331
Simpson - .317

And Baker averaged about 3 ppg more, but Simpson is a better on ball defender. Would we be asking if Baker would transfer with Dylan coming in?

I just went back a little further
Junior year Baker shot .303 from 3, sophomore year .282 from 3, and we continue to crap on Simpson's 3 point shooting numbers as a sophomore?
What were offensive efficiencies of 2 offenses

Not sure what happened between games that he only got 19 minutes today. His shot still isn't falling, but not sure where the rest of his game went from last outing to this one.... And back to taking dumb long distance two's.

Defense and defensive rebounding and shot selection and ither 2 playinf better

to me J Mike is already showing more promise as a better player overall.

None of our current guards should be starting, tbh. Staff expected Spencer back, and I have to assume felt Mulcahy was better than 50% to return.

We run an offense, but our guards are subpar and can't execute. We also seem to be unable to the hit the ocean if we were throwing a rock from a rowboat.

Also, if you're complaining about recruiting over the last two years, you're also complaining about Simpson being here at all.
I kind of am complaining about recruiting the last two years and before that. Derek was at least our third recruiting option at guard. And you might call this an offense - I don't. The less talent you have the more disciplined you have to be on offense. Just two examples - our big men don't hold screens as they very often leave too early, and our guards never rub off of them when they are set properly. The staff really does a pretty crappy job with the offense.

Potential is there. He also made FTs today which is a big step forward he needed to make
Davis and Wolf’s FT has been trending up.

They’re at 47/50 now. If they can get to the 60s, it gives me some confidence both can make somewhat of an impact for us the next two years.

Wolf keeps showing flashes.

JMike has good and bad moments, but a lot of that is situation of the game and being a freshman

I agree. Our guard room next year should be:

Harper
Williams
Davis
Transfer

If we end up with Simpson and not a transfer then I will be very bearish on our chances to do much next season.
Completely agree
Anyone who watches the guards on winning teams, can tell they are not over matched the way Simpson is. It’s no disrespect to Derek but when a team has three straight winning seasons the way we did, you shouldn’t be reaching for an undersized AAC type guard the way Pike has.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT