ADVERTISEMENT

Jersey Mike's Arena Fan Focus Group Invitation input

RC1978

All American
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2008
Hey Guys

Not sure if there are going to be 20 or 200 fans invited to the meeting tomorrow night. I wanted to offer if you have any input, other then expected, bathrooms etc, please drop a comment below and I will try and bring it up.

Regards,

Hey Guys

Not sure if there are going to be 20 or 200 fans invited to the meeting tomorrow night. I wanted to offer if you have any input, other then expected, bathrooms etc, please drop a comment below and I will try and bring it up.

Regards,
No idea why we need to walk all the way around the APC to get to the parking deck, when there's a perfectly good door on the RAC side that can be used. At the very very least, that walk should have cover from weather... But nope.

On the plus side, haven't had any issues driving in or out of the APC. I think they've done a good job with traffic flow.

There's also only one concession stand that has fountain sodas, and it's on the opposite side of the arena from where I sit. They should try to have the same offerings at each major concession area.

They MUST increase seating capacity. Cannot do a major renovation and remain static in terms of number of seats. Should do a full Section 118 all the way up to the offices, to mirror the number of seats in the student section. Plus put seats in the "corners."

Club suites can go where the offices are, above Section 118.

We do NOT need a fancy bar area above the 100 level like they have at the Prudential Center. Completely unnecessary. Takes away from seating and atmosphere since people could be hanging out in the bar instead of cheering from their seats. There are very few regular fans who want to pay $800/game for a basketball game, and even if "corporations" are willing to purchase season packages, that itself will take away from atmosphere since you'll have "casual" fans sitting in key 100-level seats.

Don't mind the loge boxes at the top of 100 level that have access to a Bunker suite bar area (which doesn't take away from seating or atmosphere).

Obviously favor the wider concourse that goes around the perimeter of the court, and of course more bathrooms and concessions.

Hey Guys

Regards,
i will be on as well.

Figure how to get cars INTO the lot more efficiently. Traffic backed up on Rt 18 to River Road is awful. Its not a simple case of "getting there earlier". If I'm at River Rd at 6:00 for a 7:00 game, I shouldn't be in panic mode about getting in on time.

Getting out has been handled well.

Hobbs is being short-sighted. Now is the time to put the money into expanding the arena to at least 10,000. No ifs, ands, or buts. Those extra 2,000 seats will enhance the experience for EVERYBODY and not cause the premium and club seats to skyrocket.

Figure how to get cars INTO the lot more efficiently. Traffic backed up on Rt 18 to River Road is awful. Its not a simple case of "getting there earlier". If I'm at River Rd at 6:00 for a 7:00 game, I shouldn't be in panic mode about getting in on time.

Getting out has been handled well.
I haven't had any issues getting to the game. I usually get off 287 into commercial and come down route 18 to Avenue E. The one time I came up route 18, I also didn't have an issue, but I was about 45 minutes early. I missed the Illinois game, though, so traffic may have been worse that day.

They MUST increase seating capacity. Cannot do a major renovation and remain static in terms of number of seats. Should do a full Section 118 all the way up to the offices, to mirror the number of seats in the student section. Plus put seats in the "corners."

We do NOT need a fancy bar area above the 100 level like they have at the Prudential Center. Completely unnecessary. Takes away from seating and atmosphere since people could be hanging out in the bar instead of cheering from their seats. There are very few regular fans who want to pay $800/game for a basketball game, and even if "corporations" are willing to purchase season packages, that itself will take away from atmosphere since you'll have "casual" fans sitting in key 100-level seats.

Don't mind the loge boxes at the top of 100 level that have access to a Bunker suite bar area (which doesn't take away from seating or atmosphere).

Obviously favor the wider concourse that goes around the perimeter of the court, and of course more bathrooms and concessions.
Spot on comment. Spending millions of dollars without adding seating makes no sense especially with the added interest because of higher level recruits and the addition of four high profile schools.Go with the Pernetti rendering and there will plenty room for additional 1500-2000 seats including expensive seating areas.There would also be more more rest rooms,concession stands,wider concourse and a more attractive entrance.

Spot on.

+

The atrium cube thing that they drew up is a good concept.
Like the idea of adding an area to socialize buy food / drink pregame in a large non cramped area that is protected from weather and doesn’t take away from current sound / atmosphere.

Hobbs is being short-sighted. Now is the time to put the money into expanding the arena to at least 10,000. No ifs, ands, or buts. Those extra 2,000 seats will enhance the experience for EVERYBODY and not cause the premium and club seats to skyrocket.
I fully support your opinion and the Pernetti rendering will achieve the desired results in seating, rest rooms,concession stands,wider concourse and a more attractive entrance atrium.I don't like the fact Rutgers will have the smallest arena within the 18 team B1G Ten Conference.

Reactions: SF88 and RU MAN
Why, as a season ticket holder with my dad since 1977-1978, and still being 54, so not so old to appreciate the perspective of the old and the young (my son is in the riot squad)…..is beyond me

Reactions: RUDave_01 and JoeRU
35 year plus season ticket holder for basketball and football here. I typically made it to a couple of wrestling matches a year, by myself. Because of the sticker shock of paying $30 for match day parking for the Princeton yellow lot, I decided not to go to the Buffalo match. I have heard others also say that the tipping point has been reached, and they might stay away because of the cost of Gameday parking. They should know that they are at least losing some attendance because of the cost of game day parking in the yellow lot.

Hey Guys

Regards,

Thanks for asking. Corporate boxes/luxury seating, table and lounge areas come with many casual fans, not often in their seats watching the game. If these boxes/luxury seats/lounges replace side court seating, it will kill the noise level and intensity of the RAC.

However, we can build all of the new corporate boxes/luxury seating table lounge areas in the section 118 end court, as many as you want, leaving the sideline 100s and 200s and the current student section with regular seats, for the loyal, intense fans that live and die with R Hoops. This is an huge factor in keeping JMA the snake pit that it is.

Spot on.

+

The atrium cube thing that they drew up is a good concept.
Like the idea of adding an area to socialize buy food / drink pregame in a large non cramped area that is protected from weather and doesn’t take away from current sound / atmosphere.
Alas, the Atrium cube thing was my idea, not an athletics thing. Sent it to Athletics, never got a response.

Enhance the value of the asset above squeezing the last drops out of the stream of revenue. See the BIGGER, big picture.

As others have said, we must increase seating capacity. JMA is already a difficult venue for visitors. Let's make it even more challenging.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Hey Guys

Regards,
1. Keep it loud
2. Get local food vendors for concessions (RU Hungry, Stuff Yer Face, Hansel ‘n Griddle, Tacoria, one of the pizza places)
3. Make the outside look nicer

Last week, someone made the suggestion was put the boxes in the 300s. Everyone wants more capacity. No one wants corporates near the court.

• Haha
Reactions: Local Shill
I heard a rumor of possibly putting students in the first 5 rows of the 100 level and displacing loyal fans in those sections. If the arena changes are for financial reasons, this makes no sense. You are plowing through your cash crop.

What is really needed:
1. More Bathrooms (one at each corner where the doors are to the outside - just extend the building beyond these doors with bathrooms. Does not affect the noise level.
2. Wider side concourse (move concessions to the extended outside area where the two new bathrooms are located from point 1. Does not affect the noise level.
3. Add more seating (students and others) in the corners where the students sit.

The Corporate Box/Premium seating is a challenge, without affecting the noise factor and alienating long-term season ticketholders that will be displaced from their present 100 level season tickets.

Remember the days of 4,000 fans when the team is not playing well.

I heard a rumor of possibly putting students in the first 5 rows of the 100 level and displacing loyal fans in those sections. If the arena changes are for financial reasons, this makes no sense. You are plowing through your cash crop.
If you recall, students were in the section behind the Rutgers bench until about the mid 90s as well as in 108-110. (Back then it was section 114 - the side court sections were 112, 114 and 116. There was no section 113 or 115.)

If you recall, students were in the section behind the Rutgers bench until about the mid 90s as well as in 108-110. (Back then it was section 114 - the side court sections were 112, 114 and 116. There was no section 113 or 115.)
I had those tickets in the mmid to late 90's. First row, behind the Rutgers bench. The very bottom row was empty because it was too low to the ground and blocked by the chairs. We used it as a walkway. I got those tickets because I paid the 40 dollar season ticket fee to get my tickets ahead of time. I used to sit with Mooby Cow there. It was freakin' awesome.

Honestly, just find a way to add 2-3 rows to the area to give them to students and to keep the old timers happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT