ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Pickett

RUChow

All American
Apr 29, 2013
Pitt freshman QB who wasn't good enough to play for us, just like pigrome who beat out a 4* Kid at MD wasn't good enough, was 15/23 for 242 yards today vs. VT. Yeah, Ash really knows what he's doing when it comes to QB's and offense in general.

It's becoming clear that Ash and his staff has been bad at evaluating QB talent so far.

Lewis may be something special with some more time and TLC, but he's not ready at this stage, but I'm sure he's not helped by an OL that can't defend a speed rush, coupled with WRs who can't separate and catch the ball.

Pitt freshman QB who wasn't good enough to play for us, just like pigrome who beat out a 4* Kid at MD wasn't good enough, was 15/23 for 242 yards today vs. VT. Yeah, Ash really knows what he's doing when it comes to QB's and offense in general.
Do you think before you post?

Lewis is a true Freshman and look what we have coming in next year.

Headscratching

Just so I'm not misquoting you, you are upset we took the #8 ranked QB in NJ instead of the #23 ranked kid? You are upset we took a higher rated kid thebyear before? You are also upset we are about to sign the would be highest ranked QB in NJ? Sounds smart. You should post more
Oh and prior to today's game he was 6-14 for 37 yds this year.

Last edited:
Just so I'm not misquoting you, you are upset we took the #8 ranked QB in NJ instead of the #23ranked kid? You are upset we took a higher rated kid thebyear before? You are also upset we are about to sign the would be highest ranked QB in NJ? Sounds smart. You should post more

Just so I'm not misquoting you, you are upset we took the #8 ranked QB in NJ instead of the #23 ranked kid? You are upset we took a higher rated kid thebyear before? You are also upset we are about to sign the would be highest ranked QB in NJ? Sounds smart. You should post more
Yeah, because the number 28 kid was better than the number 8 kid, as was the kid who went to Syracuse better than Lewis. And I never said anything about Sitkowski. Pickett and Pigrome were better than Oden and Lewis. Go back and look. I said it at the time. I could give a crap about what Farrell thinks, or the f(&Gi&g stars.

Yeah, because the number 28 kid was better than the number 8 kid, as was the kid who went to Syracuse better than Lewis. And I never said anything about Sitkowski. Pickett and Pigrome were better than Oden and Lewis. Go back and look. I said it at the time. I could give a crap about what Farrell thinks, or the f(&Gi&g stars.
I said you were kind of a douchebag at that time. Where's my credit?!

Wow....you have Lewis' career all figured out after a few games as a FRESHMAN

Way to go Gump

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
Pitt lost so no matter what the stats were, meaningless.
I'll not jump up and down complaining about one game's stats.
Against NCSt he was 5 for 13 with 61 yards and the other game he played 1-1 for 13 yards.

Well Lewis had more P5 offers even without the ones he didn't declare to Rivals. Oden was good enough for Petrino. I liked the Cuse kid, he can make every throw but is better in that system

Chow maybe you should just exchange dialogue with RuRahh and Madhatter as you can stroke each other over your acumen of football and evaluation of high school talent. Here's a positive to try and digest. Sitkowski by most counts is a 4* player if that means anything and is enrolling this January and will have the advantage of a full spring practice to work with the staff and teammates. Hopefully he'll live up to his star potential rating or I am sure you'll be here again touting a 2 or 3 star player that the staff may have passed on for various reasons and who may show success somewhere else at some other time going forward.

I've said it before and will repeat it again....the cancer on this board by the same constant negative people is tiresome and no help to anything. And yes our qb play has been spotty but do you really think Pitt's freshman qb would be playing if some og their star recruits didn't pan out. Rigjt now we don't have that kind of qb depth. Several people thought Bolin would fill the gap this year but apparently hasn't. The choice made was an experienced grad player with potential over a true freshman. It apparently didn't work as expected. So let's move on.

Chow maybe you should just exchange dialogue with RuRahh and Madhatter as you can stroke each other over your acumen of football and evaluation of high school talent. Here's a positive to try and digest. Sitkowski by most counts is a 4* player if that means anything and is enrolling this January and will have the advantage of a full spring practice to work with the staff and teammates. Hopefully he'll live up to his star potential rating or I am sure you'll be here again touting a 2 or 3 star player that the staff may have passed on for various reasons and who may show success somewhere else at some other time going forward.

I've said it before and will repeat it again....the cancer on this board by the same constant negative people is tiresome and no help to anything. And yes our qb play has been spotty but do you really think Pitt's freshman qb would be playing if some og their star recruits didn't pan out. Rigjt now we don't have that kind of qb depth. Several people thought Bolin would fill the gap this year but apparently hasn't. The choice made was an experienced grad player with potential over a true freshman. It apparently didn't work as expected. So let's move on.
No, the question is are Pigrome and Pickett better than Oden and Lewis, and the answer is yes. Now if that's too negative for you than maybe you and AshCatch should start you're own forum over at Ash's house. And now for the third time I said nothing negative about Sitkowski. And if you go back and look at all my posts you'll see that they are far from all negative. The fact is that as of right now, and after watching what I saw today, there ain't a lot of positives no matter what color your glasses. And just one other thing - I'm hoping Ash can turn this around, but if we get blown out next week the only thing keeping him here is his contract. If he were making what Flood made he would be gone in a second, and I don't think that's just my opinion.

No, the question is are Pigrome and Pickett better than Oden and Lewis, and the answer is yes. Now if that's too negative for you than maybe you and AshCatch should start you're own forum over at Ash's house. And now for the third time I said nothing negative about Sitkowski. And if you go back and look at all my posts you'll see that they are far from all negative. The fact is that as of right now, and after watching what I saw today, there ain't a lot of positives no matter what color your glasses. And just one other thing - I'm hoping Ash can turn this around, but if we get blown out next week the only thing keeping him here is his contract. If he were making what Flood made he would be gone in a second, and I don't think that's just my opinion.
But yet the Forrest Gump of this board has Lewis’ entire career figured out already

No, the question is are Pigrome and Pickett better than Oden and Lewis, and the answer is yes.
If that's the question, your answer is wrong. The correct answer is it's too early to tell. For all we know Oden may yet prove to be the best of the lot.

Chow, except for one thing...you don't make the decision and your opinion just like mine isn't worth a dime. And having a coaching carousel isn't always the answer. Now if next year we seem to have some of the same youthful problems then perhaps we can revisit some of the bitching.

I listened to Ash's comments about this job and I agree with him. you can't fix every problem facing this team in1 or 2 years. the defense is much proved as is the special teams.Now he has to make the offense his priority, which I know he is well aware of. step back and give him time.

You don't fire a coach after two years. Why would another coach want to come here?

Hey the Browns sure could use a guy with your expert talent evaluation skills. You should totally call Jimmy Haslam. I'm sure they will fall all over themselves to bring in a QB guru like you.
You know what Oden and Pigrome have in common? Neither one of them is playing any football games, and neither one of them is here.
@mychaljohn is right. You are an asshat.

For the record, we offered Pigrome and he chose to go to UMD so it's not as if we did not try and recruit him. As I recall, RU was one of his finalists.

This seems to be more of a QB coaching issue than a recruiting problem.

The Panther Nation (Pitt Board) is so glad that he will be our new QB.

Some on this Board are just so critical of this kid.

For anyone who actually watched the Pitt/VT game.

Pickett a True Freshman came into the game in the middle of the 1st Quarter(first start) in a packed and very loud Lane Stadium against a very good team (especially on defense).

The kid showed he was very comfortable in the pocket and was able to select his receivers much like a veteran QB which I found astounding.

The kid has wheels and when he felt the pressure was able to run out of the pocket to gain positive yards.

The kid is has a field presence and calmly directed Pitt's offense and the team responded to his leadership ability.

When Max Browne (Pitt transfer QB) broke his shoulder early in the 4th game Narduzzi put in Ben DiNucci a 2-star RS soph QB to carry the team. Ben did his best but it was not working.

I am sure Narduzzi did not want to burn Kenny,s red shirt and throw him into a bad starting situation.

However, Narduzzi made the move and the results were shocking (at least to me).
Many on our Board (Monday morning coaches) now say Narduzzi should have made the move sooner.

Yes, Pitt lost the game but the kid performed under difficult conditions (and almost won it in the end).

Next week Kenny will probably start against Miami (ranked 3rd in the nation) and Pitt will probably lose that game as well.

However, Kenny is getting introduced into P5 football through his baptism of fire and it will only get easier in the future.

I don't want to read too much into this one game but I think Pitt found their future QB this year and hopefully for 3 additional years going forward.

Kenny Pickett performance at QB (going forward) is the balm that will help soothe the pain of this season.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BoogieKnight
Panthergrowl,

A few might have been critical on Pickett but i think most thought he was a good player. Watched the highlights and he looked great. You had more people open in the highlights than we had all year!

IMO, the reason they liked Lewis the most was size, which they need in the BIG.

Some guy named Baker Mayfield was a walk-on at Texas Tech and a walk-on at Oklahoma. I guess every head coach in FBS can't evaluate talent

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Panthergrowl,

A few might have been critical on Pickett but i think most thought he was a good player. Watched the highlights and he looked great. You had more people open in the highlights than we had all year!

IMO, the reason they liked Lewis the most was size, which they need in the BIG.

I try to judge a football player on my own limited evaluation which can leave me open to a lot of well deserved criticism.

Kenny Pickett was to be red shirted this year and had limited playing time in fall camp and most of this season.

Some on our board said he had all the physical attributes (speed and arm strength etc) but I had never seen him play.

I guess what impressed me the most in this game was his calm approach to being thrust into this difficult situation.

When VT scored their last TD, everyone Including myself thought that it was all over.

However KP came back onto the field and calmly orchestrated a comeback which ended at the VT 1 yd line with time expiring.

For a true freshman QB that was really impressive (at least to me).

I think Pitt lucked out and got a very talented kid with that special inner belief in himself.

Time will prove my first impressions right or wrong.

For any Rutgers fans who have seen him play in high school, I would be interested in your thoughts or observations.

One positive with Pitt's record this year and all the college HC openings this year (5 SEC teams alone and maybe 14 or more total) I don't think Narduzzi will make anyone's list.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I try to judge a football player on my own limited evaluation which can leave me open to a lot of well deserved criticism.

Kenny Pickett was to be red shirted this year and had limited playing time in fall camp and most of this season.

Some on our board said he had all the physical attributes (speed and arm strength etc) but I had never seen him play.

I guess what impressed me the most in this game was his calm approach to being thrust into this difficult situation.

When VT scored their last TD, everyone Including myself thought that it was all over.

However KP came back onto the field and calmly orchestrated a comeback which ended at the VT 1 yd line with time expiring.

For a true freshman QB that was really impressive (at least to me).

I think Pitt lucked out and got a very talented kid with that special inner belief in himself.

Time will prove my first impressions right or wrong.

For any Rutgers fans who have seen him play in high school, I would be interested in your thoughts or observations.

One positive with Pitt's record this year and all the college HC openings this year (5 SEC teams alone and maybe 14 or more total) I don't think Narduzzi will make anyone's list.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I saw Pickett play in high school a few times. He was an interesting prospect in that his recruitment wasn't crazy but I thought he had talent. He seemed to be that regional type recruit who might turn into a pretty good player. I thought the kid had a pretty good arm. He was able to get the ball across the field throwing an out on a line. He also had enough arm to get the ball deep. I thought he also could move pretty well when he had to scramble. He definitely had enough athleticism to run a little and scramble when needed.

I believe his OC in high shool was Fred Stengel, who was the long time HC at Bergen Catholic. So he was well coached. The kid wasn't the biggest kid (like the prototypical 6-4 QB), which probably hurt his recruitment. But he seemed tall enough to me. Plus he played for a public school which hasn't produced any Div 1 talent in the Shore Conference.

I can see why RU recruited Lewis for the offense we were running last year and wanting a QB who could run it 10 or so times a game. Lewis is more suited for that than Pickett, though like I said Pickett can run. It will be interesting to see how he develops. QB's are really hard to predict unless they're an absolute stud. I was surprised to see him playing as a true frosh the other day when I caught the end of your game.

By the way I thought you guys should have thrown the ball that last play when your run got stuffed. You got stuffed on 1st down I believe and would've gotten Pickett on the move and see what happens on that last down.

Not-for-nothing but it does help (some) when you have an OL that can pass protect and WR's who can get open. Pitt starts a senior, Jr. Soph, and SR, at WR/TE and we know that they almost always have a damn good OL.

Doesn't mean I don't want, or expect, better but lots of guys have "flash-in-the-pan" games and seasons. It's careers that matter.

Reactions: nikoru09
A very limited sample of work with different WRs behind different OLs and playing against different defenses. Sounds like it's way too soon to pass final judgement.

In his first preseason game with the Bronco's, John Elway actually went under guard to take a snap. He seemed to overcome his obvious deficiencies and work out rather well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT