ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle McCord enters portal

We offered 8 QB's for the 2022 recruiting class. If he promised GW like you say then why offer 8 QB's?
Sounds ta me they were trying to sign a QB.
Did GS have the recruiting staff waste their time offering 8 QB's knowing full well GS promised GW he would take no QB's?
Wonder how GW felt after being promised GS is out offering 8 QBS? Musta pissed off GW, how could he believe anything GS says after doing such a thing. I don't understand why he didn't just enter the portal after being dissed and lied to by GS.
So if its widely agreed upon on the board, it is therefore a fact that GS promised GW not sign a QB for 2022?
Heh that's funny.
If Greg really wanted a QB in that class, why didn't he land any? Do we know if any of those offers were real? And to actually play QB for those guys? He's definitely settled for some pretty weak QB recruits in the past just in the interest of getting one each year.

Agree. And has a lot to do with why GW will not be benched. It would be admitting a major failure.

Still waiting for Bag’s alternate reason for the qb skip. Not a promise but ….
I don't see it that way, he got 6 wins out of Wimsatt and a bowl game, that is a good year given the state of the program when he took it over. If he brings in a B1G level QB next year and we take the next step then nobody is going to think he has done anything but a fantastic job with the rebuild, most rational posters would take an 8-10 win season in year 5 and call that a great success.

Now, if he sticks with Wimsatt and we have a 3-6 win season next year, that is a different story. Given the level of the defense, I think a lot of rational posters would feel he has squandered an opportunity to take the program to the next level with that type of result. Next year's schedule outside the first two games is very difficult, and getting back to even 6 wins with Wimsatt as the QB is in no way guaranteed.

I don't see it that way, he got 6 wins out of Wimsatt and a bowl game, that is a good year given the state of the program when he took it over. If he brings in a B1G level QB next year and we take the next step then nobody is going to think he has done anything but a fantastic job with the rebuild, most rational posters would take an 8-10 win season in year 5 and call that a great success.

Now, if he sticks with Wimsatt and we have a 3-6 win season next year, that is a different story. Given the level of the defense, I think a lot of rational posters would feel he has squandered an opportunity to take the program to the next level with that type of result. Next year's schedule outside the first two games is very difficult, and getting back to even 6 wins with Wimsatt as the QB is in no way guaranteed.
Very fair post.
The defense should be improved. The offense needs more improvement. A chance to notch 8 or more wins. It's one reason why it may be better for Greg to wait until next year to negotiate a raise or an extension- he has the chance to get more for doing better than the team did this year.

Ohio State has a problem judging QB in the past. They had Joe Burrow sitting on the bench before transferring to LSU to win the national championship. They had Texas QB Ewings sitting on the bench before he transferred and now close to being the Heisman winner.
Ewers was behind Stroud, who looks to be the NFL offensive rookie of the year. Ewers is not one of the Heisman finalists.

Very fair post.
The defense should be improved. The offense needs more improvement. A chance to notch 8 or more wins. It's one reason why it may be better for Greg to wait until next year to negotiate a raise or an extension- he has the chance to get more for doing better than the team did this year.
We need to upgrade the WR/TE group for any QB to be successful. I do think Dremel/Strong/Washington are good WR's but non of them are game changers- We need a legit #1 guy or any QB playing next year will be mediocre at best.

If Greg really wanted a QB in that class, why didn't he land any? Do we know if any of those offers were real? And to actually play QB for those guys? He's definitely settled for some pretty weak QB recruits in the past just in the interest of getting one each year.
How often over the years have we watched musical chairs with GS and the QB position? With the fanbase wanting to know why doesn't he just stick to (name a QB) and just use one.
So now after all these years he settles in on a Starting QB #1 and a backup QB #2.
this fanbase is amazing. GS has given the answer to the QB position with the backing of the OC, yet we come up with scenarios of why? with no proof of anything other than why? Questioning real? doubting scholarship offers to QB's just so it looks good?
He really wants to lose right? he definitely does not want the best players on the field to win games right?
Our fanbase is so fickle.

Everyday here is the same crap. Let’s upgrade here and there lol. How do you think that happens in 2023? It’s not by the fanbase sitting on the sidelines. Schiano is fighting the good fight but without NIL money he is not bringing in the talent we need. Recruiting is not just about relationship building and fits anymore. It’s about the dollars and all of you non participants know it. Somehow everyday you still find yourselves here with the same BS and 5 paragraphs to create because your opinions is what’s gonna get it done.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Everyday here is the same crap. Let’s upgrade here and there lol. How do you think that happens in 2023? It’s not by the fanbase sitting on the sidelines. Schiano is fighting the good fight but without NIL money he is not bringing in the talent we need. Recruiting is not just about relationship building and fits anymore. It’s about the dollars and all of you non participants know it. Somehow everyday you still find yourselves here with the same BS and 5 paragraphs to create because your opinions is what’s gonna get it done.
Cali, you're going to have to type bigger and louder for us old folks to understand you. Gotta go. Soup time then a nap before bingo...

We offered 8 QB's for the 2022 recruiting class. If he promised GW like you say then why offer 8 QB's?
Sounds ta me they were trying to sign a QB.
Did GS have the recruiting staff waste their time offering 8 QB's knowing full well GS promised GW he would take no QB's?
Wonder how GW felt after being promised GS is out offering 8 QBS? Musta pissed off GW, how could he believe anything GS says after doing such a thing. I don't understand why he didn't just enter the portal after being dissed and lied to by GS.
So if its widely agreed upon on the board, it is therefore a fact that GS promised GW not sign a QB for 2022?
Heh that's funny.
I'm not sure who he offered but if he had 8 real offers out there- I find it hard to believe none of them took it. And bottom line- GS missed an entire recruiting season for a QB.
Back during his 1.0 days- he did the same thing with the OL...hmmmmm, wonder if he ever missed an important group on defense?

Kyle McCord's father Derek McCord got reps as back-up QB in the early-90s. He's remained a supporter of the program ever since.
Well he really needs to support us now. He could contribute 750k to Rutgers, we'll send 740k of it to Kyle and keep 10k for administrative fees etc. (I kid of course but would love to see Kyle in our scarlet)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy_Faulker
https://bvmsports.com/2023/12/05/ky...Vz-yGthSHh0mO-oHwG_--oFE2mnOSXWvXHbQyIdN327NE

Haven’t read through this entire thread in the event this has already been linked

lazy reporter..notes Temple,Cuse,Pitt,Temple and RU as possible 5...i havent heard any indications he wants to play close to home...gotta

Of all the possible destinations, this one seems the most realistic for McCord. Not only are the Scarlet Knights likely looking for an upgrade at the quarterback position due to the inconsistency of starter Gavin Wimsatt, but McCord also has deep ties to the program and university.

Kyle’s dad, Derek, played quarterback for Rutgers from 1988-1992 and was coached by a young Greg Schiano at the time. These connections, coupled with the fact Kyle would play for his home state school, could be enough to sway the signal caller to Piscataway. If McCord chooses Rutgers, he would join a 6-6 program that is seemingly back on the rise under Schiano and make it even better with improved play from the quarterback position.

These are fair comments, but I'm expecting to see the kind of development from Wimsatt between his Soph and Jr years to be similar to that of Teel and Nova. Still, If GS can land a bigger fish, by all means, he should do it. Competition is king.

lazy reporter..notes Temple,Cuse,Pitt,Temple and RU as possible 5...i havent heard any indications he wants to play close to home...gotta

Of all the possible destinations, this one seems the most realistic for McCord. Not only are the Scarlet Knights likely looking for an upgrade at the quarterback position due to the inconsistency of starter Gavin Wimsatt, but McCord also has deep ties to the program and university.

Kyle’s dad, Derek, played quarterback for Rutgers from 1988-1992 and was coached by a young Greg Schiano at the time. These connections, coupled with the fact Kyle would play for his home state school, could be enough to sway the signal caller to Piscataway. If McCord chooses Rutgers, he would join a 6-6 program that is seemingly back on the rise under Schiano and make it even better with improved play from the quarterback position.
Yesterday I predicted either SEC or UNC. UNC develops QBs as passers and pro prospects. That is certainly what he’s looking for.

Gut feel- he will go to Maryland out of those choices.

EDIT- see he is in discussions with Nebraska. Don't see why he would go there, except for Rhule?

Gut feel- he will go to Maryland out of those choices.

EDIT- see he is in discussions with Nebraska. Don't see why he would go there, except for Rhule?
Nebraska is a solid team with a QB friendly system. Sure to see the playoffs and develop into an NFL - oh wait, never mind lol

Reactions: satnom
Because the two QBs they had this year, including the interception prone transfer from Ga Tech did so well in that system. . . .
Perfect spot- lol glad we see the same thing- I think if I were a QB- Rutgers would actually be ahead of Nebraska

Reactions: Kbee3
Nebraska has what Rutgers does not. A passionate fanbase willing to open up the piggy bank to get what Rhule wants. Nebraska is in negotiations with McCord because Nebraska has money. As this thread has shown we have fans passionate to give their opinion and that’s call we have.

Last edited:
Nebraska is in open negotions now because Nebraska isn’t in a bowl game…. It’s a long off season subsequent to 12/28. I don’t know if we’ll pursue McCord but it’ll be shocking if we don’t try to bring in a veteran transfer (upper class player) to challenge Gavin. It should be understood that in order to start Gavin must improve - dead last in FBS isn’t good enough next year. That’s not kicking him to the curb but setting a higher bar for the future of RU football.

Our OL is better now. That should make playing QB for us more attractive.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Nebraska has what Rutgers does not. A passionate fanbase willing to open up the piggy bank to get what Rhule wants. Nebraska is in negotiations with McCloud because Nebraska has money. As this thread has shown we have fans passionate to give their opinion and that’s call we have.
Blah, blah, blah...you got anything new to say?

Nebraska is going to get McCloud? Does he have eligibility left? Seems like a better fit for Colorado with that hat. Punk 365 has no idea what he is talking about or who McCloud is.

images

What else is there to say? You want to evaluate each and every QB and state your valued opinion on why he will work out here or why he won’t work out here? Is that fun? Especially when you know that we have zero chance because of our fan base and its alligator arms. Is that fun? In order to get quality power 5 players we need NIL money. Everyone knows that but are we that bored like Mr Haiku that we are ok with just having discussions but not actually doing what is required to win and get some quality transfer portal guys here.

What else is there to say? You want to evaluate each and every QB and state your valued opinion on why he will work out here or why he won’t work out here? Is that fun? Especially when you know that we have zero chance because of our fan base and its alligator arms. Is that fun? In order to get quality power 5 players we need NIL money. Everyone knows that but are we that bored like Mr Haiku that we are ok with just having discussions but not actually doing what is required to win and get some quality transfer portal guys here.
slowdown, stop putting your hand in other people's wallets. In addition to that, Greg went all in on NIL with Gav and it got us a crappy qb

we don't need a huge amount of NIL to get a good qb, RU has other things to offer that are vital to kids who want to play at the next level

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Kentucky got their transfer Brock Vandergriff, Georgia Backup. Kentucky going on the third QB portal. I guess they are successful. Levis went to the NFL.

Louisville just got their transfer from Texas Tech, Tyler.

NC State looks like Coastal Carolina Grayson Mc Call. Excellent QB.

I guess Miami and Rutgers? If we win Pinstripe we get Kyle?

Miami's top targets are Washington State QB Cam Wardand Kansas State QB Will Howard. Portal news moves fast, but at the time I write this, neither have decided on a destination. Miami has reportedly engaged in talks with both, along with James Madison QB Jordan McCloud.

Last edited:
Joe Burrow wasn't good enough to play at Ohio State either.
This is 100% WRONG. Burrow was in a neck-and neck battle with Dwayne Haskins when he fractured his hand and was out in the Spring and summer. Haskins won the job - part of it because of the Burrow injury and Haskins went on to shatter a ton of B1G records that year.

Burrow has talked about the injury situation many times and the end result was transferring to LSU. Burrow is an OSU grad and still a huge fan and can be seen at many OSU home games in Buckeye attire and actually recruiting for them

I saw MS's post and stopped myself from posting when we would see 365 like or post shortly after and I stopped myself-

It is like one of those bets you know in your gut is going to work out but you don't make it. Or an idea that pops into your head but push it off and see someone else do the thing you thought of and make a billion $$$

In this case- that 12 oclock hour happens twice every day hmmmmmmm - no getting around how consistent that is

These are fair comments, but I'm expecting to see the kind of development from Wimsatt between his Soph and Jr years to be similar to that of Teel and Nova. Still, If GS can land a bigger fish, by all means, he should do it. Competition is king.
Teel and Nova were accurate, but made bad decisions resulting in picks. They weren't grossly inaccurate. So I wouldn't expect the same jump.

Truth is both Mike Teel and Gary Nova were given inadequate direction and rushed to win the job. Just an observation of what occurred during their earl years 1-2 and to some extent 3rd years. Surrounding cast members were also light years ahead in the throwing / pass pro game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT