ADVERTISEMENT

Make the Case that RU can go to Final 4 in 24/25

RUisB1Gtime

Senior
Apr 17, 2013
Who would need to stay?( ie cliff) How many transfers would we need? What's the best starting line up?

Freshman leading us deep in the tourney will not be easy. The Fab 5 had Chris Webber. A hall of Famer.

I could see it, if the freshmen live up to their billing, and if Coach Pikiell grabs a couple of the standard/required cogs needed for a deep run from the portal.

The thing is, though, you never know how well freshmen will do and how soon they'll start doing it. You have a so-far underperforming freshman phenom this year; Maryland has two. It's unpredictable...

Reactions: darkcheck
Well, since the 2024 final four is about 3 months away, I'm hoping everybody will stay, but I don't think we can count on any new transfers coming in to help 😀

Team will be young and exciting. Mag regaining his old self, and Gavin taking a leap forward, will go a long way. But I don't see much portal help coming in. Lets get to the Sweet 16. Ace and Dylan lotto picks, and its a great year

Harper, Simpson, Jmike
Gavin, Williams
Mag, Dortch
Ace, Grant
Portal C?, Sommerville, Woolfolk

Right now next year’s scholarship list is two over the limit. There is the need for two to leave program to get to 13, therefore more would have to leave to make room for portal players.

Reactions: darkcheck and MadRU
Right now next year’s scholarship list is two over the limit. There is the need for two to leave program to get to 13, therefore more would have to leave to make room for portal players.
Tough convos will need to be had at the end of the season. It’s imperative Pike shows a willingness to do this — he cannot waste the ‘24 class catering to ‘his guys’ and he also has to have a mind towards ‘25 once Ace / Dylan are gone. He has a real chance to further elevate the status of the program long-term, but keeping around guys that don’t belong at this level isn’t gonna get it done

Reactions: RUskoolie
As great as the thought of having these two top players coming is, I am also concerned with just how this will actually turn out. Gavin is far from being a presence and who is to say this many not happen to the new guys?
If we could think in terms of a couple of years with them, I would feel a lot better.
Pike really has to figure out how to make the best thing happen. Stay tuned.

You need a major veteran contributor.
Kentucky won it all with freshmen and so did Duke, but those teams also had guys like Patrick Patterson and Quinn Cook. You need someone like. The Zion Duke team barely got by UCF in the second round.
A lot of this is also determined by the path. Once you make it to the round of 32, you’re likely playing a top 25 team

There’s a lot of season left but I was expecting Gavin to be the 3rd stud next year. That’s doubtful right now. He’s seems about a year behind where I thought he would be from his billing…and that’s if he lives up to it. The skills are there but he’s physically immature and not sure if the mental part will be there either. I don’t doubt that he’ll be a lot better with Harper setting him up and our perceived ability to play at a faster pace next year.

I believe people who think Sommerville is the third stud next year will be kidding themselves if Pike doesn’t get another big man out of the portal to share that time with him. Sommerville might be skilled, but freshman centers are more unreliable than any other position and generally take more time to adjust to the faster pace and physicality every night. We need Mag back too.

If the guards next year are Harper, Davis, Simpson, and JWilliams, I think we would be in very good shape there. I think Harper makes the other three a lot better.

You need a major veteran contributor.
Kentucky won it all with freshmen and so did Duke, but those teams also had guys like Patrick Patterson and Quinn Cook. You need someone like. The Zion Duke team barely got by UCF in the second round.
A lot of this is also determined by the path. Once you make it to the round of 32, you’re likely playing a top 25 team
Grad transfer 5. Go get him the money. That allows Lathan to ease in. Hopefully Wolf sees the benefits in staying around.

Reactions: biazza38
As a freshman, Johnny Davis scored 7 pts per game. As a sophomore he scored 19.7. Anyone writing off Gavin is crazy.

I think Gavin is going to have a coming out party at some point this season, sooner rather than later. His shooting problems seem to stem from a lack of confidence - I think this is where Pikes EQ is going to be important in coaching him out of this funk.

Reactions: bitnez
(1) As far as I know Rutgers has not committed any NCAA violations
(2) Rutgers is a division 1 basketball program
(3) By (1) and (2), Rutgers is eligible to qualify for the NCAA basketball tournament.
(4) Four teams that qualify for the NCAA basketball tournament will play themselves into the final four
(5) By (3) and (4), Rutgers can make the final four in 2024

QED

Need a veteran point guard who will play D and loves passing.

Not sure they can be found in the portal or on Earth
Jeremiah Williams fits that bill, see his assist #'s at Temple. Also, JMike definitely plays D and will already have the connection with Ace already.

Reactions: Scangg
Rutgers is going to get a big time transfer just based on the hype of going to final 4. Also Ace and Harper being potential lottery picks will also have a few players wanting to join the fun

Any Jersey connections that my be available ??

I really like Lathan’s game , he’s already got the body
He’s not 180lbs soaking wet .

I said Derick cousins like game

Ace is Ace Harper being 6-6 isn’t mentioned enough

Rutgers is going to get a big time transfer just based on the hype of going to final 4. Also Ace and Harper being potential lottery picks will also have a few players wanting to join the fun

Any Jersey connections that my be available ??

I really like Lathan’s game , he’s already got the body
He’s not 180lbs soaking wet .

I said Derick cousins like game

Ace is Ace Harper being 6-6 isn’t mentioned enough

Need to "push" out 2 players just to begin with.
Assuming Clif and Oskar don't return, who else is getting "pushed" out for transfers?

Chol? Ogbole? Woolf?

Doesn't matter how many people want to transfer in if there is no room at the inn.

(3) By (1) and (2), Rutgers is eligible to qualify for the NCAA basketball tournament.
(4) Four teams that qualify for the NCAA basketball tournament will play themselves into the final four

QED
If we have a big time transfer that wants to come to RU, we will find a roster spot. Be real...

Reactions: Scangg
Need to "push" out 2 players just to begin with.
Assuming Clif and Oskar don't return, who else is getting "pushed" out for transfers?

Chol? Ogbole? Woolf?

Doesn't matter how many people want to transfer in if there is no room at the inn.

Do Ace and Dylan actually care about their scholarships?

QED
QED!

We were a missed dunk away from going to the sweet sixteen in ‘21.. the ‘24/25 team will have far more talent. There was not that much more experience on the ‘21 team. A healthy Mag, & yes Cliff need to be on that team. A more wide open play with Ace & Dylan will free things up for the Dunking Machine.. Simpson will be at Geo’s level. Lathan can bang around underneath, many times playing with Cliff at the same time. JMike adds D, quickness & has played with Ace.
And yes, Gavin needs to be at the level he can be, with more bulk and experience. Add those in, with the right draw, like UCONN had last year, and we can definitely be a Final Four team!

We need an angry beast front line player for next year. He doesn’t need to contribute a lot on the offensive end. But we need someone who can defend, rebound, and set screens at a high level while not turning the ball over on offense.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
Grad transfer 5. Go get him the money. That allows Lathan to ease in. Hopefully Wolf sees the benefits in staying around.
Grad transfer 5 and at least one of Wolf or Ogbole will leave to open up a spot for it. No one wants to be 4th string 5

Again, this will all come down to the path. Ace is really really really good. But we need a full team. We can be good enough to be a top 15 team. That would be a good start

good point about the angry front line player, maybe a Sanogo type, who was one of the keys to UConn title..

ACE will need to be a guy that brings full effort every game and does more than just score. Rebound, hustle, play D. Harper will need to be a floor general, tough minded PG that can reliably make open 3s. Those 2 things happen, then I’m feeling pretty good.

What has disappointed me the most about Gavin is that unless he’s scoring he brings nothing to the table. No toughness, rebounding, hustle, etc. Ace can’t be like that.

I’m very low on coach right now.
I’m sorry, but the product has been awful for the last 24 games

I think folks should brace for disappointment next year. Not convinced this staff is capable of weaving the pieces together quickly to create a winning team.

Gavin gonna get buckets so there will be at least three scoring threats on the floor. As a third option he’ll be good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT