ADVERTISEMENT

MidKnight Madness Students Only

Well they should have it at the rac. This year more than years past there is increased excitement and curiosity around the program and that should be taken into account when they decided where to hold it. I love rutgers basketball always have and always will and I as a fan who prioritizes rutgers basketball and not just there cause there’s nothing better to do but because I am a rabid fan and wouldn’t miss the game to be shit out of midnight madness is inexcusable.
100% agree,again,stupid move.Waiting on the apologist to counter this heartfelt statement.
Like I previously stated I think it’s a ridiculous move and not a right move at all to get us where we are trying to go. Preventing the minimum loyal and may I enhance that by saying very very loyal fan base from attending an event that is actually
for not only the students but also all of the fans is not good for public relations but is also alienating the fan base

This is such a stupid thread. Some of you should be embarrassed.

People who attend these events are already diehard fans. No one is converting their neighbor into an RU fan because they dragged them to see a few slam dunk exhibitions and A Boogie With Da Hoodie jumping around. But it will get more students interested. You know, our future fan base.

This is just a bunch of entitled old men melting about feeling deprived of something. Grow up.
What's embarrassing is how clueless you are. Maybe it's more about rewarding long time fans with a little taste of what's to come, and maybe, just maybe that next door neighbor has a couple of kids who enjoy the atmosphere, and ask Daddy to take them to a couple of games. I know, that must be impossible to comprehend as something that could happen.
Y7zY.gif

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Stop the nonsense you know full well that midnight madness is held not only here at rutgers but all over the country to get the fan base whether it be students, long time season ticket holders or new season ticket holders excited and ready for the season and no good is done by telling a portion in this case which is most of the fan base that they are not allowed to attend. Stop with the ridiculous narrative that us loyal fans should not be upset because we are older than the students and not for nothing I’m not an old man I’m 40. When a concert is held do you tell the fans of the artist that they can’t attend because they are already fans and we are trying to attract only new fans? That’s ridiculous

Probably will but that’s not the point. The point is excluding any portion of thefan base especially when season ticket holders are not that many to begin with is not very fan friendly and not the way to endear yourselves to loyal fans and certainly is not a way of saying thank you for bring a season ticket holder and sticking with us, quite frankly it’s saying the opposite

Probably will but that’s not the point. The point is excluding any portion of thefan base especially when season ticket holders are not that many to begin with is not very fan friendly and not the way to endear yourselves to loyal fans and certainly is not a way of saying thank you for bring a season ticket holder and sticking with us, quite frankly it’s saying the opposite

You just really want to complain. You’re not going to miss all that much. What about the students who aren’t invited to the open practice? Man, RU is not endearing themselves to the—WAIT A SECOND

Everybody should be invited to everything. If somebody is passionate about rutgers basketball they should be able to attend either event. I don’t understand how anyone can defend the loyal fan base being shut out from any rutgers basketball event let alone the official start of practice. No I’m not usually a complainer but this is a bad move.

Everybody should be invited to everything. If somebody is passionate about rutgers basketball they should be able to attend either event. I don’t understand how anyone can defend the loyal fan base being shut out from any rutgers basketball event let alone the official start of practice. No I’m not usually a complainer but this is a bad move.

It’s not that bad a move.

Reactions: ChasRC69
The thing sold out, so not really a bad move.

Quick opinion on the change... I can understand some being upset they don't get to go (I would've wanted to go also), but these Late Night events are all about appearances and atmosphere. I can guarantee the atmosphere will be amazing in a smaller gym with only students packed in. Last year became a little awkward since the RAC was pretty empty and your average crowd will never be as loud and rowdy as only students who have had a beverage or two. Rather than last year that bordered on a school with not enough support trying too hard, this year will come off as a really fun party to any recruits in attendance. If you care about the program it's 100% worth the sacrifice of not being able to attend MidKnight Madness for a year or two. I'd much rather not be able to attend an event that comes off great than attend an event that could hurt the future of the program.

This is a GREAT move by Rutgers - we need the students to be fired up. After all, these are their peers out there playing - student involvement is what we are sorely lacking and what can make the difference in getting the RAC back as a formidable place to play. As a long time season ticket holder and someone who regularly attends Midnight Madness I am 100% in support of this move and will happily attend the open practice the next day.

Firstly, maybe this could be part of the contract signed with the performer. If they wanted a bigger venue, they probably could have asked for it.

Secondly, you really do want to create a great atmosphere, which is better created by students to be honest. No ageism there. I’m 30, but without having a group of fellow classmates and former as-youthful energy, I don’t think I can even live up to my former self. That’s the point of these promotions. But it would be an even worse look to tell season ticket holders to sit farther away to let students create an environment.

Thirdly, you really want to fill the whole venue and if you want to do the RAC, you better hope that enough fans and season ticket holders fill it up. You really don’t want it available to the general public because for those that remember Rutgersfest, bad things can happen.

Reactions: RUonBrain
So many whiners on this thread

Do the season ticket holders enjoy attending games at the RAC with so little student support?

Let the students have their night, and season ticket holders theirs at the open practices. You actually get to see real basketball and the coaching (which would be awesome) vs a speech, some dunks, and some 3 pointers.

And if this format energizes the students (which needs to be done to make the RAC the RAC again), you should be happy. I am sure that is why they are doing it this year.

Last edited:
Again, I’ll repeat it as many times as it needs to be repeated there is no reason to exclude the loyal fanbase of course the students should be there as well but to exclude the season ticket holders is inexcusable. I don’t even think there are 1000 season ticket holders so if they said students and season ticket holders and not the general public that I’m my eyes would even be acceptable and maybe even a way to generate more season ticket sales but to exclude us is not good. Do they do this at duke, North Carolina, Kentucky? I doubt it

Again, I’ll repeat it as many times as it needs to be repeated there is no reason to exclude the loyal fanbase of course the students should be there as well but to exclude the season ticket holders is inexcusable. I don’t even think there are 1000 season ticket holders so if they said students and season ticket holders and not the general public that I’m my eyes would even be acceptable and maybe even a way to generate more season ticket sales but to exclude us is not good. Do they do this at duke, North Carolina, Kentucky? I doubt it

It’s probably just a 1 year thing

And have you been invited to open practices before? 2 of them?
Do they do that at Duke or NC?

And those schools have tremendous student support. We have lost that.

I am sure making this exclusive to students will make it more of an event to them. Do you think students want to hang with old guys at such an event? Then when they have a great time, they will tell others students, and hopefully that brings them out to game.

That is the difference and why this is a great idea IMO.

The thing is if It excites them to get to games that’s great and nobody is saying that they shouldn’t be there of course they should. The argument is so should we. Just because they know we are loyal and going to be there no matter what that means we should be shut out of midnight madness? That’s like when you subscribe for something for years and then the company offers new subscribers there first year free. Penalizing loyalty is just not the right thing to do

"And if this format energizes the students (which needs to be done to make the RAC the RAC again), you should be happy. I am sure that is why they are doing it this year".Winning will energize the students not a closed door student only pep rally in October. Getting the general public involved in the program early can never be a bad idea. No wonder why Finance and Marketing always butt heads.

I love how ride or die you guys are about this. It's a *college* basketball team and personally, I think that means the *college* players and *college* students should have a special bond. This is awesome for them and will help. Then, the next day, we season ticket holders can all go to the open practice and build a bond with the team that way. It's a win-win.

You’re correct they should have a special bond which to me means that they should already be at all the games without needing any coaxing and that is not the case. You know who is at every game me.

You’re correct they should have a special bond which to me means that they should already be at all the games without needing any coaxing and that is not the case. You know who is at every game me.

Edit...

Our students don’t go to games because we have been so bad for so long.

Things can and will hopefully change, but it will take time.
Hopefully this event is 1 thing to help start turning their mindset.

Glad you are so supportive of the team and want to be there for midnight madness. We need all the loyal fans we can get.

Last edited:
You sat students don’t go to games cause we’ve been bad so does that mean when I show up to every game I’m seeing a different product cause the word loyalty I think refers to being loyal which means being there regardless of win loss record and level of play on the court. You think a students only midnight madness is going to get them to a mid November game against Drexel or Delaware state cause I don’t. Guess who will be there? Me

You know, if you're that loyal, you're probably a season ticket holder so you can just go to the open practice the next day.
So ONLY season ticket holders can be loyal Rutgers fans? Really? I go to 5 games a year, and went to one last year at MSG. Season ticket holder,NOT, but in my eyes Loyal none the less. I guess there's different degrees of Loyal.:(

No I’m. Not saying that. I’m saying the students who are given free tickets to all the games do not show up to all the games. The students are the ones that are invites to midnight madness correct?

No I’m. Not saying that. I’m saying the students who are given free tickets to all the games do not show up to all the games. The students are the ones that are invites to midnight madness correct?

Do you want students to start attending the games in large #s like they used to do when I was in school? (Late 90s)

How do you suggest getting them to do so?
By scolding them?
That won’t work.

It’s a different time. Need to be creative. But the goal has to be more student attendance, and I am sure Pike is doing all he can to help make that happen (like visiting fraternities, etc.)

Reactions: Scarlet83

I believe the goal is to change that.

Yes I believe the goal is to change that also but what I’m saying is I don’t see how preventing loyal season ticket holders from attending midnight madness is helpful in working towards that goal The more students show up the better I’m not arguing that but what I am arguing is season ticket holders not being able to also attend

This is the definition of faux outrage. Thanks for putting it into perspective for us.

Btw are you a season ticket holder, and for how long, or are you just feeling butt hurt that others w season tickets can have their choice among other open practices instead of going to MM?

Yea I’m a season ticket holder for over 20 years. Sorry if I do not like being excluded from team events that are supposed to be for not only students but for fans. Looking forward to something and then being told you’re not allowed to attend is troubling to me even if a lot of you don’t care

I think if the very first announcement they made regarding it included that it'd be students-only it may have gone over better.

Good for you. There are definitely students at every game as well.

It’s not just student turnout that hasn’t been great over the years. You would think someone that goes to every game would also notice the lack of attendance all around the RAC and not just the student section.

Why? Because we’ve sucked and haven’t made the tourney since 1991.

Overall attendance is going to trend upward very quickly the next 1-2 years.

Students fees also go to Athletic events so if they want to make this a Student only event and give the fans the invite to an open practice get over it.

Good for you. There are definitely students at every game as well.

It’s not just student turnout that hasn’t been great over the years. You would think someone that goes to every game would also notice the lack of attendance all around the RAC and not just the student section.

Why? Because we’ve sucked and haven’t made the tourney since 1991.

Overall attendance is going to trend upward very quickly the next 1-2 years.

Students fees also go to Athletic events so if they want to make this a Student only event and give the fans the invite to an open practice get over it.
Exactly,exactly,exactly.

Age is just a number and I do not feel that I'm too old to Boogie with Da Hoodie. This is discrimination damn it!

Reactions: PaKnight
... there is no reason to exclude the loyal fanbase....

Do they do this at duke, North Carolina, Kentucky?

You are a loyal fan not a loyal fanbase. The RAC was empty when they held it there. Empty. Unfortunately it appears our fanbase (not fan or a couple of fans) doesn't want to attend an event like this. Therefore, in my opinion, the move is fine.

Duke, UNC and Kentucky could sell out a 25,000 seat arena for Midnight Madness. Those are examples of loyal/rabid "fanbase(s)".

... there is no reason to exclude the loyal fanbase....

Do they do this at duke, North Carolina, Kentucky?

You are a loyal fan not a loyal fanbase. The RAC was empty when they held it there. Empty. Unfortunately it appears our fanbase (not fan or a couple of fans) doesn't want to attend an event like this. Therefore, in my opinion, the move is fine.

Duke, UNC and Kentucky could sell out a 25,000 seat arena for Midnight Madness. Those are examples of loyal/rabid "fanbase(s)".
Do you think they got that way from preventing there season ticket holders from attending midnight madness or do you think they were inclusive because in my opinion that is exactly where we are trying to go and what we are trying to become.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT