ADVERTISEMENT

Monangai Leading Rusher In B1G

ashokan

Hall of Famer
May 3, 2011
Last edited:
Leading after 7 games
He's a good back who blocks very well (reminds me of Zeke Elliot who used to blow people up at tOSU)

And 2nd in all purpose yards which is something considering he doesn't return kicks and has only 23 yds receiving.

Count me as one who is very surprised by this.

Credit to Monongai, but credit to the O-line as well.

OLs love stuff like this - and RU lines not used to it.
Pops was wishin he had this - then again if he got drafted it might not have been to KC

Reactions: shields and RU-05
He should pad his stats at Indiana. But the balance of games is a tough slate.
Playing 4-5 top D ‘s in the country. I will also include Rutgers. Anyone know the health status of coach Watson? We haven’t heard anything new?

Playing 4-5 top D ‘s in the country. I will also include Rutgers. Anyone know the health status of coach Watson? We haven’t heard anything new?
This was the latest I could find on X, which is 26 days ago:

Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano was asked on Wednesday about the status of Watson and his recovery.

“Obviously coach isn’t with us, so we’re keeping him in our prayers. I’m hopeful that he’s going to recover fully and be able to come back and join us,” Schiano said on Wednesday. “But you know, we all pray for him every day.”

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the phrase "Put the WHAMMY on him"?
Should I put a ", YET" before the period in my post? 😉
Regardless, considering the number of carries in 7 games, it is a good indication of his discipline and reliability, especially considering he has 120 carries and Allen from Wisconsin has 91 (a significantly fewer number).

He should pad his stats at Indiana. But the balance of games is a tough slate.
Not sure why people keep treating Indiana as if it's a sure win.

MSU, despite having talent, is a bad team this year. And we barely scraped by them, requiring a huge come from behind win.

Indiana might be our best chance, of the remaining games, to get to a sixth win. But it's far from a sure thing.

Watch he will lead the league in rushing and only be honorable mention
People gush over Braelon Allen waaaay too much. He's a good RB and will play in the NFL.

Interesting about Michigan- not a heavy run offense.

Corum 546 yds on 96 carries (14 carries/game)
Edwards 197 yds on 60 carries

Monangai is at 17 carries a game.

Should I put a ", YET" before the period in my post? 😉
Regardless, considering the number of carries in 7 games, it is a good indication of his discipline and reliability, especially considering he has 120 carries and Allen from Wisconsin has 91 (a significantly fewer number).
That's ok
Would be happy with him being the yardage leader at the end
His accomplishment should be recognized

Reactions: Knight Shift
I know this is an unpopular opinion. But I've played sports my whole life, and my kids played sports. And I kinda really dislike all the "recognition" stuff, even when I was young. I dislike all the trophies or medals and so on. I have a box my mom kept that I wanted to throw out, but my kids wouldn't let me. I really disliked awards dinners, both for myself and for my kids. Dislike all the top 25 ranking nonsense.

The reward is success in the game. That's what you play for, and that's what you celebrate after when you win.

Everything else is a useless distraction that paled in comparison to the success in the game.

Monangai knows, without anybody saying anything, what he's done. And when his team wins and he's made a huge contribution? There's little that compares to the feeling it creates.

What the league or the NCAA or anybody else (besides pro scouts) says about him... I dunno, what difference does it make? None, really.

Kind of a bah humbug post. 🙂

That's ok
Would be happy with him being the yardage leader at the end
His accomplishment should be recognized
Overall, Rutgers is 4th in B1G in turnover margin, behind Penn State, Maryland, and Michigan, but ahead of Ohio State.
Maryland, Michigan and Minnesota each only has 1 fumble lost, and we are tied with Penn State and Ohio State for only 3 fumbles lost total. Good company.

I know this is an unpopular opinion. But I've played sports my whole life, and my kids played sports. And I kinda really dislike all the "recognition" stuff, even when I was young. I dislike all the trophies or medals and so on. I have a box my mom kept that I wanted to throw out, but my kids wouldn't let me. I really disliked awards dinners, both for myself and for my kids. Dislike all the top 25 ranking nonsense.

The reward is success in the game. That's what you play for, and that's what you celebrate after when you win.

Everything else is a useless distraction that paled in comparison to the success in the game.

Monangai knows, without anybody saying anything, what he's done. And when his team wins and he's made a huge contribution? There's little that compares to the feeling it creates.

What the league or the NCAA or anybody else (besides pro scouts) says about him... I dunno, what difference does it make? None, really.

Kind of a bah humbug post. 🙂
I would agree with this sentiment if RU was not so looked down on, by foreign media , fans of other programs etc
Positive press and awards are therefore good, and needed

Overall, Rutgers is 4th in B1G in turnover margin, behind Penn State, Maryland, and Michigan, but ahead of Ohio State.
Maryland, Michigan and Minnesota each only has 1 fumble lost, and we are tied with Penn State and Ohio State for only 3 fumbles lost total. Good company.

And if I remember correctly, 2 of the 3 fumbles have been fielding punts.

Not sure why people keep treating Indiana as if it's a sure win.

MSU, despite having talent, is a bad team this year. And we barely scraped by them, requiring a huge come from behind win.

Indiana might be our best chance, of the remaining games, to get to a sixth win. But it's far from a sure thing.
MSU is a better team than Indiana. Indiana’s only FBS win was against 1-6 Akron in 4OT. Indiana’s current resumé is essentially as strong as Temple’s. The players don’t read this forum, we don’t need the constant wet blanket comments. We should win this game and if we don’t there’s no excuse for it.

Last edited:
I would agree with this sentiment if RU was not so looked down on, by foreign media , fans of other programs etc
Positive press and awards are therefore good, and needed
That's true, recognition for players and the team in general can help some with recruiting.

But still, bah humbug. 😀

Reactions: wheezer
It is almost impossible to think Heisman. He doesn’t have to win it just stay healthy .

I would like several things like most of us here. 6 wins or more…a bowlgame… and for the team to stay as healthy as possible. Lastly I would love to see Monangai go over 1K yards rushing… Gavin reach near the 2K pass and double digit TD’s.

And he runs behind a (so called) bad O Line? I wonder what a good li e looks like?🤔
Great to see someone else recognize a much maligned group. We’re also towards the top of all NCAA teams on sacks allowed, now some of that is Gavin’s pocket awareness but the majority of the time he has plenty time to throw.

The O line overall has shown more good than bad this season . Where it seems we bog down in the first half is the issue. Our run game has been much better in 3-4 quarters against stronger opponents. We need to continue on this road the next 5 games. Seeing Reggie Sutton fight through his injury is giving me a great deal of joy.

MSU is a better team than Indiana. Indiana’s only FBS win was against 1-6 Akron in 4OT. Indiana’s current resumé is essentially as strong as Temple’s. The players don’t read this forum, we don’t need the constant wet blanket comments. We should win this game and if we don’t there’s no excuse for it.
I disagree anytime anybody says "we should win" or "there's no excuse for it". I know fans like to think that way - and it's an easy way for fans to think because they're just sitting around watching, not out on the practice field or in meeting rooms or on the field on game day, straining to win.

But it's a viewpoint that excludes the possibility that another team will, in any particular game, outcoach and/or outplay their opponent which can happen in any game to any team on any day. Humans aren't perfect, human endeavors fail all the time despite people's best efforts.

The whole concept of "no excuse" in this context seems wrong-minded to me. It implies some sort of foregone conclusion as if the opponent is just some numbers on a page, not a living breathing thing. And it implies that the team owes someone outside the team an explanation for a loss in which they would make excuses. That's not the reality. If we fans are honest with ourselves, it's just the unrealistic and self-absorbed mentality we fans like to adopt.

Only thing the team owes the fans is to do their best to prepare for and win on any given day. They do not owe us success because the statistics say it's likely.

For us fans, long as we approach games with a healthy mindset, we're entertained win or lose. That, IMO, is all fans are entitled to - entertainment.

I disagree anytime anybody says "we should win" or "there's no excuse for it". I know fans like to think that way - and it's an easy way for fans to think because they're just sitting around watching, not out on the practice field or in meeting rooms or on the field on game day, straining to win.

But it's a viewpoint that excludes the possibility that another team will, in any particular game, outcoach and/or outplay their opponent which can happen in any game to any team on any day. Humans aren't perfect, human endeavors fail all the time despite people's best efforts.

The whole concept of "no excuse" in this context seems wrong-minded to me. It implies some sort of foregone conclusion as if the opponent is just some numbers on a page, not a living breathing thing. And it implies that the team owes someone outside the team an explanation for a loss in which they would make excuses. That's not the reality. If we fans are honest with ourselves, it's just the unrealistic and self-absorbed mentality we fans like to adopt.

Only thing the team owes the fans is to do their best to prepare for and win on any given day. They do not owe us success because the statistics say it's likely.

For us fans, long as we approach games with a healthy mindset, we're entertained win or lose. That, IMO, is all fans are entitled to - entertainment.
Uh nooo… the healthy mindset sure but Rutgers is there to WIN a very important game…if they entertain fine but WINNING is the desired result. There are no trophies for most losers. Rutgers will be going into a hostile atmosphere , playing a team who will want to prove a point. Also to save the job of their HC I will assume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT