ADVERTISEMENT

More to this JP Parking all most sounds....

Well if this is the way that Green Acres works.. can someone please point me to the section of the rules that disallows parking for outdoor recreational tailgating to watch a football game in an outdoor stadium?

Here are the rules

And someone please tell me who is bringing suit to stop this.

Thank you.

If someone wanted to pave over that whole area across from the stadium.. that would be worthy of a suit. But otherwise, this is green space that will remain green for all but.. lets see.. generously 10 hours per game.. 60 hours this year for that small section of Johnson Park.. in a year of 8,760 hours.. that's over 99% of the time that land will be empty greenspace and the rest it will have cars parked. On what basis could there be a suit regarding misuse of GreenAcres funded land? People are parking and having picnics all over that park during most of the year.. what's the problem here?

Last edited:
Well if this is the way that Green Acres works.. can someone please point me to the section of the rules that disallows parking for outdoor recreational tailgating to watch a football game in an outdoor stadium?

Here are the rules

And someone please tell me who is bringing suit to stop this.

Thank you.

If someone wanted to pave over that whole area across from the stadium.. that would be worthy of a suit. But otherwise, this is green space that will remain green for all but.. lets see.. generously 10 hours per game.. 60 hours this year for that small section of Johnson Park.. in a year of 8,760 hours.. that's over 99% of the time that land will be empty greenspace and the rest it will have cars parked. On what basis could there be a suit regarding misuse of GreenAcres funded land? People are parking and having picnics all over that park during most of the year.. what's the problem here?
The rule of Green Acres is that you cant set up a business and make money on the set aside land.

I feel like filling a park up with a bunch of vehicles doesn't seem that Green Acres-y, either.

I never parked at JP and don't have a parking pass. It was never a problem. My only concern is that I will no longer get my normal spot because the JP people will now be looking elsewhere

Is there a link to a county official saying the 'Green Acres' situation is the problem?.

7:36-25.9 allows them to charge a fee
No not for that use. They can charge a fee for something like Spring Meadow Golf Course, where I worked for years but cant turn park land into businesses that isnt established or suitable to the approval of the purchase.

No not for that use. They can charge a fee for something like Spring Meadow Golf Course, where I worked for years but cant turn park land into businesses that isnt established or suitable to the approval of the purchase.

I would guess it is debatable, but I don't really know as this is outside my experience.

Do we know that Green Acres is the real reason the Park Commission decided against parking? Do we know if there was actually a lawsuit?

Produce evidence of this suit.
Talk to the county. They are the ones that are bringing it up as the reason.
The county accepted money from the state to aquire the land. The process reguires a planned use of the land. Who would have thought that 30 years later that Rutgers was going to need parking. It wasnt part of the approval process so the county has to back away.
And its a good thing too, as much as it helped Rutgers and the county. Otherwise every Green Acres parcell could do similar.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Which makes sense - it's 8:15, you're probably half a bottle in by now.

Don't test me.
You replied that there were no models saying that left overs of Harvey werent coming here. And #s called you out saying you were wrong.
Maybe you should stop drinking in the morning.

Reactions: mverbitski
You replied that there were no models saying that left overs of Harvey werent coming here. And #s called you out saying you were wrong.
Maybe you should stop drinking in the morning.

Seriously. You should quit. I'm not f*ckin' around with you. Not at all.

Seriously. You should quit. I'm not f*ckin' around with you. Not at all.
So you look stupid on your post this morning. #s call you out but you are a pu$$y to call him out but you go after me because I posted it first. Seems logical... only to you.

Alright I'm confused. Do we actually know for sure that Green Acres is the reason or is this just a case of people trying to be know-it-alls on the internet? I called the athletics department today to buy a parking pass since we have always parked at Johnson Park, and I asked the rep why the county isn't letting them use the park anymore and he said they didn't give them any reason. I would think if it was an issue of legality, the county would just say so.

Agree with the poster above who stated that Rutgers should buy the land at Johnson Park. It is within the footprint of the local campus and can be better utilized as a University asset. Other schools make land acquisitions to support facilities expansions, why can't RU ?

Someone should press the County Parks Commissioner for a formal explanation of what happened here. Alternate parking options are not great at the last minute for fans displaced from parking at JP. We may be reading some sad stories from fans after the Wash game who struggle with game day parking next week.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
I contacted Middlesex County and requested some details on this.
Never heard back. Figures.

I contacted Middlesex County and requested some details on this.
Never heard back. Figures.
I called the parks department four or five different times during business hours yesterday and nobody picked up.

like someone pissed in someones Cheerio's. I was speaking with my ticket rep about the whole Johnson Park parking situation and I was told that they where totally caught of guard. I can believe it because looking at my ticket package and the parking JP is listed as available parking. For the county to spring this on Rutgers something is wrong here that we do not know. In addition to the removal of the fan parking lot the county or the parks department got rid of the free lot for police and emergency care workers. The thing that really got me however is the fact that they were told anyone seen dropping off on River Road, Landing Lane or any of the Johnson Park roads will be immediately ticketed, for what I don't know. Ticket office said they are now scrambling for additional parking so stay tuned.

Dropping off is a ticketable offense? What law does that break?

I called the parks department four or five different times during business hours yesterday and nobody picked up.

I even tried twice ..on different Computers ... to "submit" feedback to Middlesex County Freeholders on the situation. Failed both times as the Website sucks. Unbelievable. Taxpayer money going down the drain again in NJ.

I was finally able to get through to the county parks department. The guy I spoke with said that it was actually the athletics department that decided they aren't using Johnson Park anymore. I told him that the ticket reps are saying it was the opposite, and that it was the parks department's decision. He was surprised about that and asked if I could provide the name of the person from Rutgers that I spoke with, but I didn't have the guy's name. He said the parks department is taking a lot of heat over this, and now that he is aware that Rutgers Athletics is falsely telling people it was the county's decision, he understands why.

I called the ticketing office back and told them that the parks department said that it was not their decision, and that it was the athletics department that made the decision. The person I spoke with said that all they know at the ticketing office is that they have been told by their management that the county isn't allowing parking at Johnson Park. He suggested contacting the facilities/operations department, but I called every number listed for them and they all went to voice mail. I called the number for Hobbs's office and the person I spoke with said she will have someone call me back.

So it seems like the talk on here about Green Acres and a lawsuit is just typical internet message board speculation by people trying to sound like they have all the answers. If anything, it seems like the theory that the athletics department just wants to sell more parking passes may not be far off after all. Hopefully I get a call back today with some real information.

EDIT: When I was on the phone with the parks department, I asked them if there is anything stopping us from just parking in a normal Johnson Park parking lot on gameday, and he said we'd just have to keep in mind that the park is only open until sunset, so we wouldn't be able to do that this week, and the 3:30 games might be on the fence depending on what time the game ends. Also, no tailgating.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATIOH and OTBOTOR
I was finally able to get through to the county parks department. The guy I spoke with said that it was actually the athletics department that decided they aren't using Johnson Park anymore. I told him that the ticket reps are saying it was the opposite, and that it was the parks department's decision. He was surprised about that and asked if I could provide the name of the person from Rutgers that I spoke with, but I didn't have the guy's name. He said the parks department is taking a lot of heat over this, and now that he is aware that Rutgers Athletics is falsely telling people it was the county's decision, he understands why.

I called the ticketing office back and told them that the parks department said that it was not their decision, and that it was the athletics department that made the decision. The person I spoke with said that all they know at the ticketing office is that they have been told by their management that the county isn't allowing parking at Johnson Park. He suggested contacting the facilities/operations department, but I called every number listed for them and they all went to voice mail. I called the number for Hobbs's office and the person I spoke with said she will have someone call me back.

So it seems like the talk on here about Green Acres and a lawsuit is just typical internet message board speculation by people trying to sound like they have all the answers. If anything, it seems like the theory that the athletics department just wants to sell more parking passes may not be far off after all. Hopefully I get a call back today with some real information.

EDIT: When I was on the phone with the parks department, I asked them if there is anything stopping us from just parking in a normal Johnson Park parking lot on gameday, and he said we'd just have to keep in mind is that the park is only open until sunset, so we wouldn't be able to do that this week, and the 3:30 games might be on the fence depending on what time the game ends. Also, no tailgating.
Nice work. A couple of posters in this thread:
images

like I said--"react to facts not heresay"
Mine was a total joke in the other thread about Piscataway banning RVs on their roads. Some believed...ha ha.

But I was not kidding about the idea of putting RVs on Cook. That I did hear two ADs ago.

Mine was a total joke in the other thread about Piscataway banning RVs on their roads. Some believed...ha ha.

But I was not kidding about the idea of putting RVs on Cook. That I did hear two ADs ago.

Funny - not. But I did call BS on it. :sunglasses:
As to a previous administration's thinking of placing an RV lot on Cook - it's hard to imagine just how out of touch with reality an idea like that is.

As to a previous administration's thinking of placing an RV lot on Cook - it's hard to imagine just how out of touch with reality an idea like that is.
I think that goes back to the visit from the B1G advance team when they came by check out the scene:

B1G: So where's your Visiting Fan RV parking? You're gonna get a lot of them.

Rutgers: Um, what?

Reactions: knightfan7
I think that goes back to the visit from the B1G advance team when they came by check out the scene:

B1G: So where's your Visiting Fan RV parking? You're gonna get a lot of them.

Rutgers: Um, what?

From everything I've heard about pervious Athletic Administrations this falls under....

Many a true word is spoken in jest

RU Ticket Office is smearing the Middlesex County Park Commission by spreading a false rumor about JP parking being cancelled by the Parks Dept when it is not true ?

One question. How did they ever expect to get away with such a lame excuse ? Sounds like they are trying to play RU fans as suckers again, as a way to sell more parking passes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT