ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts.

gef21

All Conference
Jan 25, 2005
1. The trips tight bunch formation killed us yesterday. We gave up both long TDs and another long run because we lost the edge. That has to be a priority fix ASAP.

2. Fletcher is a legit offensive threat, but his blocking his not great yet.
2a. Our TEs have to improve in blocking, but we also can not put them in a position where they have to block elite pass rushers.

3. Miller is legit and teams very much are worried about his top end speed.

4. Strong had a coming out party, we need more of that.

5. Long struggled with separation yesterday. On the first sack he rushed his window and covered himself. Athan saw him, but then had to cover and go because Long ran behind the spy.

6. Jaborne is playing recognition faster, but he is still learning. He has potential to be elite.

7. Man we missed Powell and Bailey. Glad to have them back.
7a. I miss Toure.

8. Athan allows our offense to get to the next step of being successful.

9. I like when we throw the ball off of actions. The outside vertical game is not there for us, think we went to it too much.

10. 4th and 1 give it to one of our RBs.

11. Way too long of a FG to attempt. Odd choice.

12. We still do not blitz a ton, I am interested why. I think we wanted to keep 2-3 over the top to not let drones beat us vertically. A few times we did get beat in coverage, and it did not hurt us.

13. Overall this is a great game to learn from, and I hope we do.

14. The game very much reminded me of the UNC game in 2006. Gut check game and we came through.

Agree with all of it.

Biggest keys for success are numbers 8-11.

8 Athan is more than a game manager. His decision making and RPO reads will win us games in the future. I am excited for his growth
9 Agreed outside verts were being pushed to far to the sideline. But I like Athans ability to see the field and attack the middle of the field. Hoping we see more crossing action with Miller Long and Dremel.
10 Hate the tush push. Give the ball to Brown and let him pound the rock.
11 way too long of a field goal. Had momentum would rather push them off the field and go for it via the run on 3rd and 4th down then try a 53 yd field goal.

1. The trips tight bunch formation killed us yesterday. We gave up both long TDs and another long run because we lost the edge. That has to be a priority fix ASAP.

2a. Our TEs have to improve in blocking, but we also can not put them in a position where they have to block elite pass rushers.

5. Long struggled with separation yesterday. On the first sack he rushed his window and covered himself. Athan saw him, but then had to cover and go because Long ran behind the spy.

6. Jaborne is playing recognition faster, but he is still learning. He has potential to be elite.

7a. I miss Toure.

9. I like when we throw the ball off of actions. The outside vertical game is not there for us, think we went to it too much.

12. We still do not blitz a ton, I am interested why. I think we wanted to keep 2-3 over the top to not let drones beat us vertically. A few times we did get beat in coverage, and it did not hurt us.

14. The game very much reminded me of the UNC game in 2006. Gut check game and we came through.
Can you explain why our run game was stifled when we were supposed to run wild on rhem?

Explain the two straight drop back passes, after a stop and good field position, where VT got the two momentum-swinging sacks.

Explain the two straight drop back passes, after a stop and good field position, where VT got the two momentum-swinging sacks.
I'm not in the booth. Idk. We got a bit greedy? I mean if our TE doesn't absolutely lunge block we have open Wrs.

Reactions: rucoe89
They sold out to stop the run. 8 in the box consistently. They also played their keys to stop our rbs. This is why those rpos were so open. The LB came in on the Rb every single time and the TE was wide in the flat.

We did also run for like 140.
I was listening to the VT radio broadcast, which was very good and not too homerish. They sounded like they were ready to leave the booth and cover the flat. They were pissed.at those plays.

They sold out to stop the run. 8 in the box consistently. They also played their keys to stop our rbs. This is why those rpos were so open. The LB came in on the Rb every single time and the TE was wide in the flat.

We did also run for like 140.
One other question. Drones missed on 2 or 3 deep balls to Felton, who was wide open on each play. We're our DBs getting outplayed on those play calls?

• Wow
Reactions: RU at the shore
I'm not in the booth. Idk. We got a bit greedy? I mean if our TE doesn't absolutely lunge block we have open Wrs.
Tough position to put your TE in. Seems like Brown should have helped instead of running out to block the LB.

7a. I miss Toure.

I remember '06 and was it Thompson flying over engaged linemen to make a great tackle in the backfield?

First real opponent and we won which is good. VT was successful selling out against the run which is bad. We won because Kaliakmanis was able to be accurate and exploit what he was given. If he keeps that up then teams won't be able to focus on only the running game.

Can you explain why our run game was stifled when we were supposed to run wild on rhem?
9-10, sometimes literally 11 men in the box. I don't think I can recall ever seeing that many men in the box on 1st down plays in the middle of the field. They gambled that we wouldn't be able to pass consistently for the win. But AK and the receivers came up big.

Another play that stood out to me was Drones long scramble during VTs run. Powell obviously had a beat on him as Drones split the pocket, but he followed the RB instead. I get assignment defense, but this was an egregious misread from my perspective.

Except it wasn't the same. We motioned away from the rpo and not to it. We tried to get cute. If we motion to it, it is an absolutely different play.
No such thing. There are many "RPO" plays. You just have a pass and a run play called at the same time and you read a player (usually a LB) and hand it off if he commits to the run and if not you throw it.

You can also do what Ohio St has been doing a lot this year which is a triple option type play with a zone read and then a throw option off the QB keep.

No such thing. There are many "RPO" plays. You just have a pass and a run play called at the same time and you read a player (usually a LB) and hand it off if he commits to the run and if not you throw it.

You can also do what Ohio St has been doing a lot this year which is a triple option type play with a zone read and then a throw option off the QB keep.
No such thing as what? Im confused.

The RPO we had success with we motioned to the option and wheeled up the sideline, with a TE coming across the formation. On the 4th and 1 we motioned away from the RPO choice (I believe with the thought of catching them off guard. The playside LB did not crash and stayed, which is why I think Athan should have given it. It then allowed a collision on the TE and a player on the QB.

OP.. good stuff.

It disturbed me that once they crushed an RPO for a sack we seemed to go away from what worked in the 1st half.. those TE throws. you'd think we'd have a better response to that adjustment.

That is, have not watched the game again yet.. but VTech did something to quash that RPO pass in the 2nd half, I suspect crashing the DE upfield... and you'd think we'd be ready for that.. if they quash X, we show it again but do Y.. etc. That's the whole point of the RPO.

I'd also like to see Athan have kept it more often when they sold out to stop Monangai... which was clear. Number 5 in the game they plugged up the middle. Number 27 at RB.. not so much. So AK keeping it more often would have helped our inside rush too. And while I want AK healthy.. c'mon on those slides/dives... a little early.

In general.. when we had success with that RPO passing on the edge.. why not spread teh formation and RUN the ball?

This tight formation crap and then run it right up the gut.. so stupid. They want 7-8-9 in the box to stop Monangai so why make it easy for them to do so?

And I may owe Kyle Flood an apology. In 2009-2010 when he was co-OC with our current OC Ciarocca, we had this blacking scheme like the NFL does. zone blocking where the OL stands up and turns their D-counterparts to make holes. This was coupled then with an idiotic device that had the QB turn his back on the LOS to either hand off to a standing still RB 5-7 yards behind center or then turn around and pass. When defenses caught onto this, they just sent edge rushers to that spot every down. It got real ugly in 2010.

While this is not that.. our OL lost all ability to fire out and move the DL. We surrendered initiative to the DL. And they blew up a lot of plays, IMO, because we put our OL at a disadvantage by not having them being the ones delivering the blows. VTech's OL was firing out and it wore on our defense. I really hope that there's nothing to this observation.. I hope I am wrong and we see the OL firing out more in the future.

Spread the field, make them defend the width of the field.. and then have OL fire out and run.

Reactions: redking
Observation: Powell showed rust. Some of those late outside runs from Tuten Powell attacked an inside gap where, on tape, it's obvious that that gap was already crowded and he needed to bounce outside. Also looked a little gassed.

Good news is I think people can be pretty confident he's going to watch the tape and improve quickly.

Another: VT was blitzing and cheating a lot with the safeties and linebackers. More screens, even a classic RB slip screen, is what's usually the antidote to that. We didn't see that until the last drive with the Strong WR screen.

Last edited:
Just watching the Fletcher fumble again. That was a tough one, he had the ball secured tight with both hands. It was just a perfect combination of the LB wrapping him up from behind and trapping his one arm and the DB putting his hat on the ball at the same time.

One other thing, Dremel fair catching on the free kick. Dremel catches the ball on the 18 no player is closer than the 35 when he makes the catch. I know we want to be safe but come on. There was no one within 17 yds.. of the catch.

Man by the middle of the third did we have that team on the ropes, they were about to give up. Everything was still working and running game started to get going. We did every single thing we possibly could from that point on to give them CPR and life.

Last edited:
Just watching the Fletcher fumble again. That was a tough one, he had the ball secured tight with both hands. It was just a perfect combination of the LB wrapping him up from behind and trapping his one arm and the DB putting his hat on the ball at the same time.

One other thing, Dremel fair catching on the free kick. Dremel catches the ball on the 18 no player is closer than the 35 when he makes the catch. I know we want to be safe but come on. There was no one within 17 yds.. of the catch.
Yeah the Dremel fair catch on the free kick was weird to me. The point of the free kick is to set up a return.

Good post OP. Problem is we can get into the minutia of the X’s and O’s but that doesn’t solve for our coaching of situational football.

Good post OP. Problem is we can get into the minutia of the X’s and O’s but that doesn’t solve for our coaching of situational football.
We controlled the ball for just under 40 minutes. I think overall we did a great job coaching, but we made some big mistakes that luckily dindt cost us.

The screen call was elite coaching, the RPO with multiple layers was elite coaching, the play call on the INT was elite play calling.

The defense knew VT was going to run the vertical and out route on the final play (they needed the first down). We showed zone, blitzed the corner, but we were in man. If Beam does not pick that ball off, the safety has a legit shot to also. It was a BEAUTIFUL play call. Beam blitzed right in the path of the out, so he was there if the out was thrown.

We controlled the ball for just under 40 minutes. I think overall we did a great job coaching, but we made some big mistakes that luckily dindt cost us.

The screen call was elite coaching, the RPO with multiple layers was elite coaching, the play call on the INT was elite play calling.

The defense knew VT was going to run the vertical and out route on the final play (they needed the first down). We showed zone, blitzed the corner, but we were in man. If Beam does not pick that ball off, the safety has a legit shot to also. It was a BEAUTIFUL play call. Beam blitzed right in the path of the out, so he was there if the out was thrown.
What a joy to read your knowledgeable observations of the game. Much thanks.
#10 and #11...I was screaming at the TV.
#12... one of the things I've always loved most about Schiano's teams is the blitzing. I can't figure why, since we aren't getting lots of pressure on the qb from the DL, we aren't doing much of it these days. I'm missing Toure too.

Asamoah had a number of poor plays and the TEs were very hit or miss on their blocking.

The VT WRs and TEs were excellent on their downfield blocking and contributed to all of the big runs.

All of the VT blockers were very good at holding. Holding without getting a penalty is a skill that is taught. VT did it perfectly especially on the edge.

7a. I miss Toure.

Awesome summary from a knowledgeable viewpoint! Thank you!

Agree with all of it.

Biggest keys for success are numbers 8-11.

8 Athan is more than a game manager. His decision making and RPO reads will win us games in the future. I am excited for his growth
9 Agreed outside verts were being pushed to far to the sideline. But I like Athans ability to see the field and attack the middle of the field. Hoping we see more crossing action with Miller Long and Dremel.
10 Hate the tush push. Give the ball to Brown and let him pound the rock.
11 way too long of a field goal. Had momentum would rather push them off the field and go for it via the run on 3rd and 4th down then try a 53 yd field goal.
On 10, I think the issue may be Brown runs too upright. I am not sure if staff is working on helping him run with pads lower. I think that will help him push the ball piles better.

I think we had some awesome call yesterday.

The 4th and 1, and the long field goal are really the only two calls I disliked.

That being said I think Athan misread the 4th and 1, but I do not know.
I think someone on a podcast (Breitman?) noted that it appears like AK misread the defense on 4th and 1.

9-10, sometimes literally 11 men in the box. I don't think I can recall ever seeing that many men in the box on 1st down plays in the middle of the field. They gambled that we wouldn't be able to pass consistently for the win. But AK and the receivers came up big.
Seems to scream we need to have one of our WRs win 1:1 battles to make teams pay in that situation. Miller seems to be the one to do it, but perhaps even Long or Strong. Still not at that level yet at WR.

Reactions: Eagleton96
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT