ADVERTISEMENT

Needs To Be An Open Competition for Starting QB Next Year

Context - Mike Teel was not good until his last year. He was terrible in 2005, not much better in 2006 (certainly no better than GW), 2007 a bit better, and 2008 really friggin’ good after the first 5 games. I’m confident that GW will be a fine player by the time he moves on.

Can’t be an open competition if the philosophy is predetermined. Dan Fouts wouldn’t beat out Wimsatt. Eli Manning wouldn’t. Staubach 50/50 chance.

Context - Mike Teel was not good until his last year. He was terrible in 2005, not much better in 2006 (certainly no better than GW), 2007 a bit better, and 2008 really friggin’ good after the first 5 games. I’m confident that GW will be a fine player by the time he moves on.

I hope you’re correct in regards to Wimsatt improving next year. However, if he does not, RU needs to be open and be prepared to move in another direction at the position. The transfer portal may assist with being more prepared at the position.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
Wimsatt doesn’t even have great instincts as a runner or running the RPO game. These coaches have worked with his limitations and made him look better than the reality of his abilities. Kudos to the coaching this year, Monangai, the O Line, and the defense, but RU is clearly deficient at QB and playmakers at WR and TE.
I’m not comfortable with your characterization as the qb position being deficient. Your not taking into account the difficulty of facing the #1 Team. By your definition, Drew Allar was deficient last week.

What matters is Wimsatt is 6-3, with an opportunity to win three more. The 6 wins are very much due to Wimsatt as are the losses. But in the losses, we were competitive well into the third quarter.

compare Wimsatt’s results with what previous Rutgers QBs have done, vs these opponents, and his results are very favorable, in spite of the constraints. The receiving Corp is limited.

Our best WR is still in High School and was in the stands taking in the action. There are two others from NC, who will bolster our WR Corp.

Your assertion that a new qb, who couldn’t win the job elsewhere, is going to come in and beat out Wimsatt is unrealistic. Sure there will be a competition. But it will be very difficult for challengers to beat out the incumbent.

Last edited:
Simon deserves a shot this year. Three losses three bad interceptions.

I’m not comfortable with your characterization as the qb position being deficient. Your not taking into account the difficulty of facing the #1 Team. By your definition, Drew Allar was deficient last week.

What matters is Wimsatt is 6-3, with an opportunity to win three more. The 6 wins are very much due to Wimsatt as are the losses. But in the losses, we were competitive well into the third quarter.

compare Wimsatt’s results with what previous Rutgers QBs have done, vs these opponents, and his results are very favorable, in spite of the constraints. The receiving Corp is limited.

Our best WR is still in High School and was in the stands taking in the action. There are two others from NC, who will bolster our WR Corp.

Your assertion that a new qb, who couldn’t win the job elsewhere, is going to come in and beat out Wimsatt is unrealistic. Sure there will be a competition. But it will be very difficult for challengers to beat out the incumbent.

My assertion is that Rutgers needs to get improved play at QB, nothing else. If the improved play comes from Wimsatt over the next two years, then that’s great. But if the improved QB play comes from a new QB then that’s great too. Unrealistic??? I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think that they need to and can improve at this position, whether that’s Wimsatt or another QB. Surace is coming next year so he is certainly a consideration to play over the next 2 years while Wimsatt is still at RU.

Reactions: sct1111
Sorry but Simon isn't running for a 50 yard touchdown like Gavin did last week.
But just maybe the guy who threw a TD pass against Wiscy isn’t throwing a brutal interception or missing a wide open WR for a TD? Blind Faith hasn’t been rewarded. Schiano likes no mistake football but arguably three bad mistakes by our QB has cost us three games. Fair assessment? Certainly arguable.

Reactions: redking
They had one this year and GW won the job.
‘won the job’ likely leaves out the part about passing acumen not mattering. Probably not a real competition.

it’s been clear Schiano is all in with GW. Remember GW got knocked out of the UW game, Simon got us a quick score and GS put him right back in.

Reactions: RAC93
My assertion is that Rutgers needs to get improved play at QB, nothing else. If the improved play comes from Wimsatt over the next two years, then that’s great. But if the improved QB play comes from a new QB then that’s great too. Unrealistic??? I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think that they need to and can improve at this position, whether that’s Wimsatt or another QB. Surace is coming next year so he is certainly a consideration to play over the next 2 years while Wimsatt is still at RU.
We have gotten improved QB play this year which is why we’re 6-3. Gavin will continue to improve next year, and that’s where our improved qb play will likely come from.

Surace will be a freshman next year, and while he will be a consideration, chances are he won’t be ready. Big jump from high school to the Big Ten.

We have gotten improved QB play this year which is why we’re 6-3. Gavin will continue to improve next year, and that’s where our improved qb play will likely come from.

Surace will be a freshman next year, and while he will be a consideration, chances are he won’t be ready. Big jump from high school to the Big Ten.
We’re 6-3 because of Great D, special teams and Kyle. Improved QB play is not why we are 6-3.

But just maybe the guy who threw a TD pass against Wiscy isn’t throwing a brutal interception or missing a wide open WR for a TD? Blind Faith hasn’t been rewarded. Schiano likes no mistake football but arguably three bad mistakes by our QB has cost us three games. Fair assessment? Certainly arguable.
I would say that Simon's passing ability while a little better than Gavin's isn't enough to make up for Gavin's running ability and/or the threat of him running.

Understood, especially regarding Surace. Schiano and staff needs to be open to the possibility that Gavin may or may not be the guy. They may need to get a transfer this offseason to get prepared for that possibility, maybe they need to consider Surace, maybe give Sheppard a look next year. My belief is that Gavin has not performed to a level that he should be rewarded with Blind Faith at this point that he is the annointed QB for the next 2 years. Nothing wrong with having other plans in place to push Gavin and to be prepared to play someone else.

Understood, especially regarding Surace. Schiano and staff needs to be open to the possibility that Gavin may or may not be the guy. They may need to get a transfer this offseason to get prepared for that possibility, maybe they need to consider Surace, maybe give Sheppard a look next year. My belief is that Gavin has not performed to a level that he should be rewarded with Blind Faith at this point that he is the annointed QB for the next 2 years. Nothing wrong with having other plans in place to push Gavin and to be prepared to play someone else.
Last year was the year to get a transfer, especially coming off a 4 win season, and they chose not to do so. With a 6+ win season, and bowl participation, they could get someone, but have strong doubts that the new transfer qb will be a serious threat to Wimsatt.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Last year was the year to get a transfer, especially coming off a 4 win season, and they chose not to do so. With a 6+ win season, and bowl participation, they could get someone, but have strong doubts that the new transfer qb will be a serious threat to Wimsatt.

How do we know if you don’t at least make an attempt at the portal? At one time everyone thought, Rutgers can’t get a quality shooting guard in the portal and somehow we landed a guy named Cam Spencer, who was pretty damned good. Maybe it can be done in football, have to try it first in order to find out. Nothing wrong with thinking bigger and expanding their horizons.

It really wasn’t a deflection …
You need to watch the replay. Crystal clear that KM gets a hand on it and it's likely going to drop incomplete, but he's then hit by the DB right after that and the ball ricochets to the one place that could kill us. 99% of the time that ball falls incomplete and we likely go up 12-7 if we get just a FG (at their 20). And yes, GW shouldn't have tried that pass with their coverage.

By now the game should have slowed down for GW, but it doesn't look like it has. You can only get by with athleticism for so long. He needs to be able to read a defense better. Hopefully this comes soon.

We belong to a big time conference now. There always needs to be a competition for QB. At the current moment, Gavin's the best all around QB on the team.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Simon deserves a shot this year. Three losses three bad interceptions.

Gavin has his issues, but it’s not even debatable as to the fact that he’s the best option for RU this year. Between the running ability he has and the throws he does manage to complete, he is a much better option than Simon. The issue is not the present day as Gavin is clearly the best present day option. The jury is out on whether he will be the best option over the next two years and whether another QB steps forward as the best option for the job. Gavin may also be the guy who takes a leap forward and keeps the job.

At the very least, whatever Wimsatt is being paid in NIL $ can be better used elsewhere. A QB getting paid $$$ in the NCAA should be capable of throwing 5 yard passes. The best thing about Wimsatt is he overthrows so badly that the ball is almost never in danger of being intercepted because 50% of the time it is nowhere near the receiver.

Good luck with that. Schiano prefers a running QB to a passing QB. Wimsatt is better than Vedral and Langan and is a prototypical Schiano QB this time around
Lol. We’re Teel and Nova running QBs? Be careful Shelby for your promise!

Reactions: ILikePike
How many truly "good" QBs are in America? Would bet only 5% are truly good. The other 95% are who they are, guys that are still learning and growing.

Dare I say we had the advantage at QB today?

If you traded the QBs from today's game I'd bet OSU wins by 28+.

McCord gets benefit from playing behind NFL OL and a clean pocket. I think Wimsatt more talented.

Wimsatt doesn’t even have great instincts as a runner or running the RPO game. These coaches have worked with his limitations and made him look better than the reality of his abilities. Kudos to the coaching this year, Monangai, the O Line, and the defense, but RU is clearly deficient at QB and playmakers at WR and TE.
We have a tight end?

How do we know if you don’t at least make an attempt at the portal? At one time everyone thought, Rutgers can’t get a quality shooting guard in the portal and somehow we landed a guy named Cam Spencer, who was pretty damned good. Maybe it can be done in football, have to try it first in order to find out. Nothing wrong with thinking bigger and expanding their horizons.

Because portal QBs are portal QBs for a reason. They failed elsewhere, with very few exceptions. We’ve been landing transfer qbs for a long time, and the results haven’t been impressive.

And those finished product exceptions require NIL Money, like Cam Spencer, who took it to go to UConn. How much are you willing to contribute?

Our best QBs weren’t recruited as finished products. They were developed over time. That I think is our path to success. Surace is going to be excellent, once he masters the playbook. And he should be given ‘24 to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT