ADVERTISEMENT

Next season

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Will the addition of the super kids decrease the program's identity of defense?

I would offer the alternative argument that opponents will now be worried about playing a team that has go to scorers at multiple positions.Defense keeps you in games but offense wins games.

Reactions: cshelley
I’m thinking it might not. Both Dylan and Ace seem to thrive in transition. A lot of potential there for putting up big numbers turning defense into offense. I think it’s possible they buy into that style.

The defense is #2, there's way more downside than upside. So yes it'll get worse. Will it remain top 25? Or fall into the 50s/60s? That's the key.

Depends on who the supporting cast is. Jeremiah, Mag, and Derek will bring the D. I imagine whatever big man they bring in will be defensively strong.

Depends on who the supporting cast is. Jeremiah, Mag, and Derek will bring the D. I imagine whatever big man they bring in will be defensively strong.
This. And the (slim) possibility of getting Cliff back.

Also, I wouldn’t underestimate the influence that Pike and returning players will have on Ace and Dylan regarding defensive effort.

Once they see their teammates going all out on D, their competitive juices will kick in and as world class athletes they’ll be motivated to move their feet and defend.

I think Ace Bailey is a pretty good defender. I know he can really block some shots. If Mag and Cliff return, there is no reason we cannot be close to the same defensive efficiency. Less so if one of the two do not return, and much less if both leave.

I cannot see any Pikiell-led defense being less than top half in the conference, regardless of the individual players that are on the team.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I think to start the year there will be an alarmingly big drop in D. The goal is to survive the non-conference leaning heavily on raw talent and hustle. And at some point the defensive DNA of the program and staff will start to come online resulting in a top 50 defense when all is said and done.

I think Ace Bailey is a pretty good defender. I know he can really block some shots. If Mag and Cliff return, there is no reason we cannot be close to the same defensive efficiency. Less so if one of the two do not return, and much less if both leave.

I cannot see any Pikiell-led defense being less than top half in the conference, regardless of the individual players that are on the team.
There's a breakdown video of Ace saying he's not a defender. Shows clips of him just standing around doing nothing and falling repeatedly for terrible pump fakes

He obviously has the length and athleticism to be a very good defender. It might just be a focus thing or a saving energy thing. Hopefully he's a quick learner and buys in. We saw this season how completely lost Gavin looked early. He already looks much improved. Ace will be too good to keep off the court, but if focuses and learns from Pike he has the potential to be an awesome defender and a complete player.

His offensive game is insane. Really only needs to work on shot selection

I have 2 questions that could be of equal importance (#2 could > #1)
1. What kcg said
2. How much will Ace and Dylan's offensive production suffer based on the effort they will put in on the defensive side.

I think it is very likely they will both buy in to playing D.

Other than Dylan being left handed is JWill's game much different than Dylan's? I am guessing Dylan is a tad more "explosive" and Jwill will be the better defender.

1. What kcg said
2. How much will Ace and Dylan's offensive production suffer based on the effort they will put in on the defensive side.

I'm not sure their offensive production suffers because their defensive effort. It could suffer because they're playing an increased level of competition as as does every elite recruit when they go from high school level to college level.

There's a breakdown video of Ace saying he's not a defender. Shows clips of him just standing around doing nothing and falling repeatedly for terrible pump fakes

He obviously has the length and athleticism to be a very good defender. It might just be a focus thing or a saving energy thing. Hopefully he's a quick learner and buys in. We saw this season how completely lost Gavin looked early. He already looks much improved. Ace will be too good to keep off the court, but if focuses and learns from Pike he has the potential to be an awesome defender and a complete player.

His offensive game is insane. Really only needs to work on shot selection
Man to Man....GRF to Scangg.....Are you and I going to play defense if we don't have to? No!

Next year he will be asked to.

Reactions: Scangg
I'm not sure their offensive production suffers because their defensive effort. It could suffer because they're playing an increased level of competition as as does every elite recruit when they go from high school level to college level.
I am 10X more concerned about playing 100% effort basketball (as opposed to 50%) then adjusting to college level of quickness and length.

I assume the points allowed will increase because with the newcomers, RU will get more good shots early in the possession, leading to more possessions for the other side. I think defensive efficiency will still be pretty good, even if not up to today’s level.

1. What kcg said

On 2, based on what I’ve seen, I don’t think this will be as big a concern as it has been for a kid like Gavin who is known for his sharp shooting. If we’re a strong defensive team, they will be in a position to create offense from defense. Speed isn’t taught and transition skills translate immediately. Tez came in game ready to put up points. The trouble with him was he didn’t progress much year over year but he was a promising frosh. On a way higher level, I think we’re going get that from these guys. Even if they have some trouble making perimeter shots in the half court sets, they will have success scoring in other ways.

I am not nearly as confident as others with Dylan in a half court offense setting. I have very little doubt, as you say, he will thrive in transition.

That makes defensive rebounding VERY important.

Other than Dylan being left handed is JWill's game much different than Dylan's? I am guessing Dylan is a tad more "explosive" and Jwill will be the better defender.
Interesting comparison. Hard to imagine Dylan being a better defender at this point in his career at least. Dylan probably a better shooter with more moves, but he's not really known as being the most explosive player ever. He's more crafty and strong with feel for the game and his defender which is why the Harden comps are always there

JWill and Dylan could be the best backcourt tandem in the country!

I am not nearly as confident as others with Dylan in a half court offense setting. I have very little doubt, as you say, he will thrive in transition.

That makes defensive rebounding VERY important.
The emergence of JWill takes soooo much pressure off of Dylan next season. If Dylan is a complete stud from day 1, amazinggg. If not, he can take a bit of a back seat to JWill until he can get his feet wet and hit his stride

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
2 observations/comments
1. Dylan is not making a lot of 3s in HS
2. I am deftly worried about being able to match the $ that will be thrown at JWill this spring. Id be surprised if he doesnt get $1,000,000+ offers.

2 observations/comments
1. Dylan is not making a lot of 3s in HS
2. I am deftly worried about being able to match the $ that will be thrown at JWill this spring. Id be surprised if he doesnt get $1,000,000+ offers.
I don’t think Jwill is going to leave. He is getting a ton of love here and he seems to be really enjoying himself. Also, with the amount of attention Rutgers will hopefully be getting next year with Ace and Dylan, Jwill will have a lot of eyeballs, including nba scouts on him as well. Seems like a great opportunity to showcase his talent.

I’m thinking it might not. Both Dylan and Ace seem to thrive in transition. A lot of potential there for putting up big numbers turning defense into offense. I think it’s possible they buy into that style.
We're going to see stuff in transition that we haven't seen, honestly, since the mid'70's ....BUT with dunking!!! Maybe since the John Battle days?

I don’t think Jwill is going to leave. He is getting a ton of love here and he seems to be really enjoying himself. Also, with the amount of attention Rutgers will hopefully be getting next year with Ace and Dylan, Jwill will have a lot of eyeballs, including nba scouts on him as well. Seems like a great opportunity to showcase his talent.
Jwill isnt playing in the NBA but is a heck of a college basketball. He has 2 years left as a professional basketball player in the US. If he can find a way to make 2,000,000 over the next 2 years he would be silly to pass that up.

The defense is #2, there's way more downside than upside. So yes it'll get worse. Will it remain top 25? Or fall into the 50s/60s? That's the key.
To be fair, we said the same thing going into this season and so far we are statistically better this year than last. We could see it drop with the additions of some that may not be quite as committed, or we could see that adding two physcial specimens to the roster and cutting out the minutes that Noah and Hyatt were getting at the start of the year could mean a bunch. If we had Cliff back id bet we remain top 5 in defense. Not likely he returns, but who knows. I still think its very possible we will be very good defensively no matter what.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I think next season is going to smack us in the face that college basketball has become a bunch of upper classmen with 1 year contracts. The only players you know will be back are incoming freshman. I think within a year it will be common place for everyone will put their name in the portal.

Reactions: Joe Piscopo
To be fair, we said the same thing going into this season and so far we are statistically better this year than last. We could see it drop with the additions of some that may not be quite as committed, or we could see that adding two physcial specimens to the roster and cutting out the minutes that Noah and Hyatt were getting at the start of the year could mean a bunch. If we had Cliff back id bet we remain top 5 in defense. Not likely he returns, but who knows. I still think its very possible we will be very good defensively no matter what.
This is so true. I am always guilty. What I don't want to find out is how important has Myles and Cliff been as shotblocking 5s.

On the original topic

Jerimah
Dylan
Mawot
Airous
Cliff

With the buy in …that’s an elite defensive and elite rebounding team

Wanna run …??? Starts with a turnover and an outlet pass or rebound and outlet pass ….

Reactions: Scangg and Degaz-RU
JWill Mag and Cliff and you have 3 elite defenders who are upclassmen full grown men and know the system along with Simpson and Davis being quick defensive guards. That would be a very strong defensive nucleus for the freshman to fit around
Agree, but I think you need to add Derek. His defense has improved a ton. You can see he loves making defensive plays (first 2 minutes of the Wisconsin game, he made 3 huge defensive plays for example). Simpson has worked his way into elite D.

Reactions: Eagleton96
I think how far our team will get next year depends on:

1) do we get Mag back and do we have a capable starting center.

2) Can we get the defense tight before the ncaa tournament.

Scoring won’t be a problem with JWill, Ace, and Dylan out there.

Last edited:
I don’t know why I’m so optimistic - but I think Cliff ends up returning. Four years worth of data say his NBA value projects best as a quiet but useful complementary player. He could reestablish this upside with a very good nuts and bolts season playing alongside the talent we’re bringing in and J Williams. If we can pay him Europe like money - there’s no reason for him to bolt. Better development potential in the G-league is BS in his case. He’s well conditioned now. His offensive skill set is just limited and that’s honestly not too likely to change.

I’ll keep saying it - a Patrick Patterson like final season in the NCAAs on an elite team would do his future wonders. The blueprint is there. Patterson went on to have a lengthy NBA career. And oh yeah - if your wondering - the year before Wall and Cousins - UK had a similar season to ours. They went to the NIT.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT