ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano Status

You know i can't show pics cowbell. It's up to nick to make public. But fyi Nick will be in the room Monday.

It's not enrollment status related.
but if it is a written record, it is protected by FERPA other than directory information. Maybe not enrollment status, but it would be part of an educational record. Don't suppose you have Nick's prior written consent to disclose, do you?

Just being contrarian, not reporting you or anything ;)

but if it is a written record, it is protected by FERPA other than directory information. Maybe not enrollment status, but it would be part of an educational record. Don't suppose you have Nick's prior written consent to disclose, do you?

Just being contrarian, not reporting you or anything ;)
I never revealed any specifics about the paperwork and never will

I never revealed any specifics about the paperwork and never will

That being said, its curious you would make an unambiguous claim about the kid's whereabouts, when you obviously didn't have that information.

I am happy to put this to rest. It seems after all of this, the immaturity served only to hurt Rutgers. Funny how that worked out, but totally predictable.

That being said, its curious you would make an unambiguous claim about the kid's whereabouts, when you obviously didn't have that information.

I am happy to put this to rest. It seems after all of this, the immaturity served only to hurt Rutgers. Funny how that worked out, but totally predictable.

At least you got to crystallize the debate and stop the swirling storm in the threads for a minute. Too bad people couldn't leave it there. You do deserve acknowledgement for your effort, though. Good job. I mean that with total sincerity.

Now i will leave this board and never return again. Oh wait until the next cruiseliner comes next summer. I believe NCAA will send a message.

Now i will leave this board and never return again. Oh wait until the next cruiseliner comes next summer. I believe NCAA will send a message.
I wouldn't leave the board totally. I stated visiting a couple years ago but rarely post. There's some good information here. It's not the busiest board but you do get some good solid information and talk here....Creedo not withstanding.

Some have gotten on wng but I can attest...during my time here the guy has always been top notch and knows his shit when it comes to Rutgers wrestling. Really.... if I were you I'd check in here from time to time. You won't be dissapointed.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Hear, Hear!

Dude crystallized it like an icy blast
He held the swirling storm inside
Spiraled it in frozen fractals all around
Flurried it through the air into the ground
Quoth the Raven

:confused:
Definitely the heavyweight division on this one. Thanks for sharing. $$$$

Been following this thread and kudos to most of the posters and the mods for keeping a very flammable thread contained. Obviously, both PSU and Rutgers would love to have Nick wrestle for them.

Been following this thread and kudos to most of the posters and the mods for keeping a very flammable thread contained. Obviously, both PSU and Rutgers would love to have Nick wrestle for them.
Yes. It's time to stop the speculation and all the back and forth. Best to be still until it's all resolved; then start a new thread with the real resolution. In the meantime, I'm out.

PSU fan here. Been watching the Suriano drama all summer. I'm glad the kid got to go to the school he wants to be at. He will probably end up going down as the greatest wrestler to ever attend Rutgers. But, he's going to catch a lot of vitriol for leaving Penn State and ruining the chance of being on the best NCAA team ever. I hope other PSU fans let this go. But he will always carry the stigma of ruining that opportunity. I won't ever blame the boy for being at the place that makes him happy, but we he will always be seen as the reason why the "best team ever" never happened.

Last edited:
PSU fan here. Been watching the Suriano drama all summer. I'm glad the kid got to go to the school he wants to be at. He will probably end up going down as the greatest wrestler to ever attend Rutgers. But, he's going to catch a lot of vitriol for leaving Penn State and ruining the chance of being on the best NCAA team ever. I hope other PSU fans let this go. But he will always carry the stigma of ruining that opportunity. I won't ever blame the boy for being at the place that makes him happy, but we he will he might always be seen as the reason why the "best team ever" never happened. I hope PSU fans understand, and Nick had the intestinal fortitude to deal with that.

I haven't yet done any hypothetical math to determine an apples-to-apples threshold score to break the team record, but I have suspected for a while that too much is being made of the chance to break it. With the 4-pt NF added to the mix nowadays, simply beating the old record by a few points doesn't mean much, as it is so much easier now to win by MD and TF, thus earning more team bonus. And we all know that PSU relies heavily on those extra bonus points.

Some sort of correction (applying old scoring system to individual match scores) would have to be applied to the new record score retroactively to determine if it was truly a legitimate beat.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Who's currently considered the best team ever?

On a team-points basis, 1997 Iowa (170.0 pts).

Rounding out the Top 5 are:
1986 Iowa (158.0)
1991 Iowa (157.0)
1983 Iowa (155.0)
2005 Oklahoma State (153.0)

Sorry, had to edit that a few times.

Last edited:
On a team-points basis, 1997 Iowa (170.0 pts).

Rounding out the Top 5 are:
1986 Iowa (158.0)
1991 Iowa (157.0)
1983 Iowa (155.0)
2005 Oklahoma State (153.0)

Sorry, had to edit that a few times.

What did Penn State have last year?

They had 146.5, which is good for 7th, I believe, on the all-time list.

Amazing to think after the near-flawless tournament last year, that they are only #7. They were still a champion (Suriano?) and an extra win or two (Gulibon?) away from 170.

Team Season Team Abbr Count Points
1. Penn State, PA Penn State, PA (GET) PSU 9 146.5
2. Ohio State, OH Ohio State, OH (GET) OHST 9 110.0
3. Oklahoma State, OK Oklahoma State, OK (GET) OKST 10 103.0
4. Iowa, IA Iowa, IA (GET) IOWA 9 97.0
5. Missouri, MO Missouri, MO (GET) MIZZ 8 86.5
6. Virginia Tech, VA Virginia Tech, VA (GET) VT 7 63.5
7. Minnesota, MN Minnesota, MN (GET) MINN 9 62.5
8. Cornell, NY Cornell, NY (GET) COR 6 60.5
9. Nebraska, NE Nebraska, NE (GET) NEB 7 59.5
10. Michigan, MI Michigan, MI (GET) MICH 6 47.5
11. Illinois, IL Illinois, IL (GET) ILL 7 43.5
12. Lehigh, PA Lehigh, PA (GET) LEH 7 40.0
13. Wisconsin, WI Wisconsin, WI (GET) WISC 9 39.5
14. Arizona State, AZ Arizona State, AZ (GET) ASU 5 39.0
15. Virginia, VA Virginia, VA (GET) UVA 4 29.5
16. South Dakota State, SD South Dakota State, SD (GET) SDSU 5 28.5
17. NC State, NC North Carolina State, NC (GET) NCST 10 26.0
18. Northern Iowa, IA Northern Iowa, IA (GET) UNI 7 25.5
19. Rutgers, NJ Rutgers, NJ (GET) RUT 7 24.5
20. Edinboro, PA Edinboro, PA (GET) EDIN 8 20.5

Does Suriano wrestle Freestyle, or does he strictly wrestle Folkstyle? Haven't seen him mentioned in the big Freestyle Tournaments.

With Nick's expected point totals...does that put our point totals near Lehigh? Around 12th?

With Nick's expected point totals...does that put our point totals near Lehigh? Around 12th?
RU scored 24.5 points last year. You return 16 of those, with Theobold graduating. Then you have Ashnault's injury. So, here's how the math works out:
Returning points: 15.5 (this includes Ashnault's 9)
Likely Suriano points: 16 to 24 (2nd place, no bonus to 1st place, 4 bonus)
Ashnault potential spread: -9 to 0 (DNP to same as last year)
Total RU points: 22.5 to 39.5

Now, this also assumes that no one else fills in those 8.5 points lost from Theobold. I don't know your team well enough to speculate on that. I only put Ashnault's upside at 0 (which means scoring 9), because shoulders are notoriously difficult to come back from, AND 141 is a landmine weight this year. Lots of talent in that group.

Finally, 39.5 would have put you tied for 13th with Wisconsin last year, 0.5 points behind 12th place Lehigh.

Reactions: RUpop
RU scored 24.5 points last year. You return 16 of those, with Theobold graduating. Then you have Ashnault's injury. So, here's how the math works out:

Now, this also assumes that no one else fills in those 8.5 points lost from Theobold. I don't know your team well enough to speculate on that. I only put Ashnault's upside at 0 (which means scoring 9), because shoulders are notoriously difficult to come back from, AND 141 is a landmine weight this year. Lots of talent in that group.

Finally, 39.5 would have put you tied for 13th with Wisconsin last year, 0.5 points behind 12th place Lehigh.
I think Richie Lewis will match/exceed Theobold's points. Not having Ashnault would obviously be a huge blow.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think Richie Lewis will match/exceed Theobold's points. Not having Ashnault would obviously be a huge blow.
I think Lewis matching Theobold is a real possibility. However, he's only beaten 1 guy who was ranked in the top 20 (Wrestestat rankings) at the time they wrestled. He'll have to win a couple of those to be better than 4th. Not saying it won't happen, just saying it would have to happen.

I'll take the over

Reactions: koleszar
I think Lewis matching Theobold is a real possibility. However, he's only beaten 1 guy who was ranked in the top 20 (Wrestestat rankings) at the time they wrestled. He'll have to win a couple of those to be better than 4th. Not saying it won't happen, just saying it would have to happen.
Off the top of my head, he's beaten some quality opponents... Berger, Murphy, Kutler, Cooper, Short, also last year's finalist Lavalle... Richie Lewis is the real deal. Would be Very surprised if he a healthy Lewis doesn't AA this year

Reactions: RUpop and PSUPOWER
ADVERTISEMENT