ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano Status

Why SHOULD Penn State do that? If Penn State issued a release, why should they offer any more support to a kid that wants to leave their program? He made the decision to leave all on his own, so he needs to accept the personal responsibility that comes with making a decision like that. Or, do you not believe in personal accountability for your decisions?
I do believe in personal accountability. for instance, if I saw a kid getting raped in the shower I would scream on the highest mountain until the perp was dealt with. I understand that there is a big difference in the way the term personal accountability is defined at each University though.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Pedophile State should have received the death penalty. They still worship a joe pa statue out there?

Bwahaha, the Sandusky bandwagon crowd took all of two pages to come out. When you can't argue the facts of the case, bring up Sandusky. Real Einsteins there at Rutgers.
I was not arguing Sandusky. I was arguing the fact that a lack of personal accountability by PSU leadership and students is readily accepted and fought for by the disciples but student athletes that want to leave are held to a higher standard.

That is just some weird shit.

Bwahaha, the Sandusky bandwagon crowd took all of two pages to come out. When you can't argue the facts of the case, bring up Sandusky. Real Einsteins there at Rutgers.

Bottom line is the kid wants to go to Rutgers but CS is butt hurt about it so he's trying to make sure he has to sit a year if he goes to RU. That's the facts Einstein.

You people make me laugh. Go back and read my post and not selectively. A special committee will meet on whether to grant a waiver to Nicky which may be a yes or no. With PSU's granting a waiver, it will be a heck of a lot easier to get it than if they do not. The only reason not to do so is he wants to PUNISH Nicky. What else? He figures Nicky will not go to RU and lose a year so he would only have to face him for 2 years and not 3. You you PSU fans have any other plausible reason?
When Suriano signed his scholarship letter he agreed to terms of that scholarship. One of those terms were that if he transferred to another B1G school he would lose a year of eligibility. I don't blame him for not allowing it because it not the message you want to send guys. If he grants it basically he setting precedent that guys are free to transfer where ever they like. He is just holding him accountable for what he agreed to.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I was not arguing Sandusky. I was arguing the fact that a lack of personal accountability by PSU leadership and students is readily accepted and fought for by the disciples but student athletes that want to leave are held to a higher standard.

That is just some weird shit.
I fully agree with you that those people should be held to account. Did you notice Sandusky is in jail, as is ex-President Spanier?

Bottom line is the kid wants to go to Rutgers but CS is butt hurt about it so he's trying to make sure he has to sit a year if he goes to RU. That's the facts Einstein.
One might reasonably ask how the Surianos chose Rutgers before Rutgers was granted permission to speak with them.

Perhaps it was completely innocent, that the decision was made without talking to anyone at the school. Of course that would be an atypical decision model, especially for a national champion caliber athlete.

Otherwise no coach in any sport would support that outgoing transfer, regardless of which 2 conference schools were involved.

You guys have so much practice rationalizing what Joe did/or didn't do and arguing every relevant piece of evidence that one is unable to have logical argument. Masters of beating a dead horse.
You can't have coaches and athletic directors making decisions on who to give "blessings" to when it comes to transfers. If you're too dumb to understand why, that's on you....not me.

One might reasonably ask how the Surianos chose Rutgers before Rutgers was granted permission to speak with them.

Perhaps it was completely innocent, that the decision was made without talking to anyone at the school. Of course that would be an atypical decision model, especially for a national champion caliber athlete.

Otherwise no coach in any sport would support that outgoing transfer, regardless of which 2 conference schools were involved.

Probably because it's his home state school where he has several former teammates from high school.

If he was really butt hurt about it he would not have granted him permission to contact. That would mean he would have to sit out and also pay his on way.

Reactions: PSUer1989
If he was really butt hurt about it he would not have granted him permission to contact. That would mean he would have to sit out and also pay his on way.

So he gave him half a release but he wouldn't go the "second mile" to let the kid transfer without losing eligibility.

This argument is silly. PSU fans just said why give NS their "blessing" so he could POSSIBLY wrestle immediately. Let the committee make that decision. CS told him he did not want to hurt him but he does not grant a waiver. What other reason other than making it harder for NS to wrestle 3 full years is there. Thanks Koleszar for explaining my post.

Probably because it's his home state school where he has several former teammates from high school.
But that flunks the sniff test. All of the rumored reasons for the exit are having some difference with Cael (weight, injury, strength program, communications, finances, etc.).

Any issue big enough to drive someone away from 6x NCAA championship coach Cael Sanderson, is big enough to preclude at the new school. "Close to home and I know a few guys" isn't exactly verification.

This argument is silly. PSU fans just said why give NS their "blessing" so he could POSSIBLY wrestle immediately. Let the committee make that decision. CS told him he did not want to hurt him but he does not grant a waiver. What other reason other than making it harder for NS to wrestle 3 full years is there. Thanks Koleszar for explaining my post.
Because those are the rules. When Cortez transferred to Penn State he had to sit the same way. Why have the rule if you are not going to follow it?

Cael can't grant a waiver. Only the B10 can.

I have yet to see anyone argue WHY Cael should offer the unconditional release. To be nice? So Rutgers can get a top wrestler? What is it?

So essentially what I am reading here is that the OP and several others feel that Sanderson releasing Suriano isn't enough and that he should go the extra mile and help convince the BigTen to waive it's eligibility rule so that Nick can to go to a program that was most likely guilty of tampering. That's asking a bit much, don't you think? You guys should be happy he got a release. If you want to vilify anyone, try the BigTen, it's their rule, not Sanderson's.

CS can help make the situation easier or harder. He's choosing to make it harder. What do you not understand?

CS can help make the situation easier or harder. He's choosing to make it harder. What do you not understand?
I don't understand why Cael should bend over backwards to make it easier on Suriano. Do you want Cael to travel to the B1G meeting to plead Suriano's case for him, too?

You really think the B10 wants coaches and athletic departments deciding which schools they would give their blessings to when it comes to transfers? So if Cael would give his blessing to Nick to transfer to Rutgers but not Iowa you don't see a problem with that? Really?

I don't understand why Cael should bend over backwards to make it easier on Suriano. Do you want Cael to travel to the B1G meeting to plead Suriano's case for him, too?
No. The real question is why Cael should go the extra mile to help Rutgers if he thinks Rutgers went behind his back to poach from his roster. And how many Tim Beckman wannabes that precedent would create.

Why should he make it easy? If Stephan Glasglow goes out next year and finishes 3rd place in the NCAAs do you think Goodale should help him transfer to Penn State after the season if he decided he wants to wrestle there? How many coaches are going just let Cael come in and try to get their top guys to transfer and once he convinces them to help them get immediately eligible?

Why should he make it easy? If Stephan Glasglow goes out next year and finishes 3rd place in the NCAAs do you think Goodale should help him transfer to Penn State after the season if he decided he wants to wrestle there? How many coaches are going just let Cael come in and try to get their top guys to transfer and once he convinces them to help them get immediately eligible?
You obviously don't understand. You see, if Cael makes this easy on Suriano, then all of these Rutgers fans are going to think that Cael is great. And, then they'll start getting in Goodale's ear. They'll say things like, "That Cael is sure a great guy. You know, he really did you a solid by making that Suriano transfer easy. Maybe you should suggest to one of your top wrestlers that he should transfer to Penn State. Not only that, but you should appeal to the B1G for the waiver, and make this transition as easy as possible. Heck, maybe you should even drive him up there for his visit."

Yeah, that's what they'll say.

Bobby had this story in the fat cat 2 and a half weeks ago. old news

It seems like common sense that if the Big Ten would entertain an application of a waiver of the rule (and we know they have waived it in limited circumstances in the past), then the consent of the former school would be relevant in the determination.

PSU fans want to act like its cut and dry, but obviously its not that cut and dry, because while the rule is explicit, it has been wavied before, so there is clearly precedent. That said, unless Nick can show true hardship - more than "I want to go home" - I think its unlikely a conference waiver is coming to help dear old Rutgers.

So this one seems about over to me - at least for Rutgers. I will continue to hope, however, that there are non-public grounds that are deemed worthy to support a release and waiver so he can come to Rutgers.

I agree 100% with the above and have posted as such before - I believe @Ole Cabbagehead you were in agreement with me then as well.

This was always going to be a difficult thing to accomplish, despite some ill-informed assurances to the contrary.

It was pretty cut and dry what the issues were and there were two separate ones. The first one has been dealt with as expected with. Suriano was given a release - if we can read the tea leaves - as is pretty much SOP in the wrestling world. It looks like - from info posted above - that it is a full release with the NCAA and not a limited one as is done sometimes.

The second issue is the B1G waiving the competition penalty. I have opined before that PSU stance on this may have some effect on the B1G ruling. How much, nobody really knows.

If we look to the past, these waivers are not granted as commonplace. The only relevant example of one being granted is Micic and he had a cluster going on in the coaching department to be viewed as a hardship. On the other hand, the SOP here is what happened to Cortez. He transferred in-conference and forfeited a year of competition.

So basically we have pretty much what was expected to happen, happening here. The only thing that confuses everyone is the whining going on and a newspaper article from a guy who it looks like has no idea of what the actual circumstances are. Which, as I've posted before, is understandable, as many just are very ill-informed about the whole procedure - including people who you would think would be informed.

Bottom line, if I were a member of Suriano's family, it would be pretty clear what the options available are. If you want to transfer to RU, you've got to take your chances with the B1G as other athletes have done in the past. If you want to transfer out-of-conference to a viable closer-to-home alternative, you probably will be able to get it done. To expect PSU to go above and beyond the SOP, is either wishful thinking or listening to the wrong people. It just doesn't happen without cause.

iowa state made it quite easy for your best wrestler of all time to follow cael to psu

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT