ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano Status

iowa state made it quite easy for your best wrestler of all time to follow cael to psu
Iowa State is in different conference. They did the same thing he done for Suriano. Gave him a release. It would be very easy for him to transfer to Iowa State.

If a student athlete doesn't like the B1G transfer rules, he shouldn't go to a B1G school or he/she should scratch off B1G schools from possible transfer landing spots in the event he/she does not want to lose a year of competition. It's that simple. It's not like B1G changed its rules - they are the same rules under which Suriano signed.

No. The real question is why Cael should go the extra mile to help Rutgers if he thinks Rutgers went behind his back to poach from his roster. And how many Tim Beckman wannabes that precedent would create.

I see both sides of this. CS is doing what's in the best interest of his program and not the student-athlete. It shouldn't be about Rutgers, but CS is making it about Rutgers. If he approved the waiver, then it's not about Rutgers, but the student-athlete, which is who it should be about. No one knows the "hardship". If there truly is one, and it will come out if there is, then what's best for a student-athlete should take priority over what's best for a program. Especially an elite one like PSU. They're not going anywhere and I'm sure rival coaches could use this against him and the program.

I remember when earl hall went to Olympic training center and then didn't want to come to Rutgers . Everyone on this board was pissed, and wanted hall penalized. I don't remember exact details of what happened in that case but can understand Penn st. "People " being upset.

Reactions: belushijo
I see both sides of this. CS is doing what's in the best interest of his program and not the student-athlete. It shouldn't be about Rutgers, but CS is making it about Rutgers. If he approved the waiver, then it's not about Rutgers, but the student-athlete, which is who it should be about. No one knows the "hardship". If there truly is one, and it will come out if there is, then what's best for a student-athlete should take priority over what's best for a program. Especially an elite one like PSU. They're not going anywhere and I'm sure rival coaches could use this against him and the program.
That's hardly both sides.

It absolutely should be about Rutgers if Rutgers tampered with PSU's roster. Considering Suriano chose Rutgers while working out at SKWC, before PSU granted approval for Rutgers to talk with him or his family, even before Cael had heard Nick was thinking about leaving -- that suspicion has merit, at least from PSU's side.

If everyone's so concerned about Nick's best interests, then why is nobody saying he should get a Princeton education close to home?

To reiterate what's been stated above: PSU granted Nick a release that includes Rutgers. They're merely not going to bat for him in front of a B10 panel. And PSU cannot approve a waiver. That is solely a conference decision.

Last edited:

What is so hard to understand.? Cael can't "approve" the waiver, he can only grant or deny a release. Apparently he has granted the release. It's in B1G's hands and, presumably, they had a reason for implementing their rule. I have to think they are highly unlikely to not follow their own rules because somebody wants to evade the rules they initially agreed to live by. If you are a parent, I guess you give your kids rules and when they don't live by them, you say "no problem, you don't have to live by them". Right?

In the event Nick returns to Penn State, it will interesting to see fan reaction at the first home meet.:popcorn:

Reactions: Gebmo
I remember when earl hall went to Olympic training center and then didn't want to come to Rutgers . Everyone on this board was pissed, and wanted hall penalized. I don't remember exact details of what happened in that case but can understand Penn st. "People " being upset.
I'll admit I was upset that he wants to bail but the more I think about it I'm perfectly fine with it. I have a hard time believing Cael and the coaching staff or Nicks teammates want him in their room at this point. Do they want someone representing their team that would rather be somewhere else? I seriously doubt it.

No ...I'm no longer upset. I'm kinda looking forward to the rest of the team stepping up like last year after the Cortez and Suriano injuries. That sure as hell was fun to watch.

It absolutely should be about Rutgers if Rutgers tampered with PSU's roster. Considering Suriano chose Rutgers while working out at SKWC, before PSU granted approval for Rutgers to talk with him or his family, even before Cael had heard Nick was thinking about leaving -- that suspicion has merit, at least from PSU's side.

If everyone's so concerned about Nick's best interests, then why is nobody saying he should get a Princeton education close to home?

To reiterate what's been stated above: PSU granted Nick a release that includes Rutgers. They're merely not going to bat for him in front of a B10 panel. And PSU cannot approve a waiver. That is solely a conference decision.
How does your sneeky suspicion have merit because you and a couple of your idiot friends deemed it so? No shit psu cannot approve the waiver, but if they said ok it could help to persuade the committee. They do take all sides of the matter into account before rendering a decision. And you do realize you need very good grades in order to get into Princeton right? Or are you clueless on that as well.

How does your sneeky suspicion have merit because you and a couple of your idiot friends deemed it so? No shit psu cannot approve the waiver, but if they said ok it could help to persuade the committee. They do take all sides of the matter into account before rendering a decision. And you do realize you need very good grades in order to get into Princeton right? Or are you clueless on that as well.
Why? Why? Why? should Cael Sanderson do this?

So you're saying Suriano doesn't have good grades?

So you're saying Suriano doesn't have good grades?
I have no idea what grades Suriano gets. But I hope you do know Princeton is very select in their admissions. Also he never expressed a desire to go to Princeton why would we be bemoaning him to attend there?

If Suriano returns to PSU it will snow in July. CS released NS only to RU and did not grant a waiver!! I wonder why?

Why? Why? Why? should Cael Sanderson do this?
Why wouldn't he? If the process is so difficult like many of you state what's the harm in saying yea we endorse the waiver. By saying we don't endorse granting him the waiver your saying we don't want him at RU. CS knows the release is useless without the waiver which is why he granted the release(to look like a good guy) but won't endorse the waiver. Which could ultimately help persuade the committee to grant one.

I have no idea what grades Suriano gets. But I hope you do know Princeton is very select in their admissions. Also he never expressed a desire to go to Princeton why would we be bemoaning him to attend there?
Of course I know that. Aside from the school's reputation, I've worked with several Princeton grads and was hired by one.

As far as Princeton as a destination goes: was stated above that he's considering another closer to home school as a backup plan vs. losing a year of eligibility. Few schools fit that description: Rider, Princeton, Columbia, Hofstra ... you get the idea.

The point was that very few people truly care about his best interests despite their claims otherwise. Nobody cares that he could get a better education than PSU or RU without losing a year. And that's OK as fans, let's just not pretend otherwise.

Do you have evidence that Rutgers tampered or is it just a conspiracy theory to justify why one of PSU's top wrestlers wants to leave for Rutgers? Of course that's the suspicion from PSU's side. There's no other reason for someone to leave Old Main for a program such as Rutgers. Silly.

If Nick wants to go to Princeton, that's his choice. As stated above and in publicly available articles, the Suriano family has always been tight with the Rutgers coaching staff and has multiple HS teammates on the roster. Any suggestion otherwise is just sour grapes to soften the blow to the PSU fan's ego, whether he goes to Rutgers or not.

hes was a grad transfer. not the same as the suriano situation OR the cortez situation which is much more representative of the situation here.
Grad transfer brings up an important distinction: NCAA rule allows grad transfer only if the new school offers a grad program not available at the original school.

That automatically falls under B10 transfer exception 3A, inadmissibility -- you can't be admitted to a program that doesn't exist.

That exception doesn't apply to Nick since he was admitted and enrolled at PSU.

What is so hard to understand.? Cael can't "approve" the waiver, he can only grant or deny a release. Apparently he has granted the release. It's in B1G's hands and, presumably, they had a reason for implementing their rule. I have to think they are highly unlikely to not follow their own rules because somebody wants to evade the rules they initially agreed to live by. If you are a parent, I guess you give your kids rules and when they don't live by them, you say "no problem, you don't have to live by them". Right?

In the event Nick returns to Penn State, it will interesting to see fan reaction at the first home meet.:popcorn:

Pretty sure the kid is living by the rules otherwise he'd already be enrolled at Rutgers. CS is just trying to punish him out of spite and do what's best for his program and not what's best for the student athlete. The kid's gone one way or another.

It'll be funny if NS gets the waiver regardless.

Do you have evidence that Rutgers tampered or is it just a conspiracy theory to justify why one of PSU's top wrestlers wants to leave for Rutgers? Of course that's the suspicion from PSU's side. There's no other reason for someone to leave Old Main for a program such as Rutgers. Silly.

If Nick wants to go to Princeton, that's his choice. As stated above and in publicly available articles, the Suriano family has always been tight with the Rutgers coaching staff and has multiple HS teammates on the roster. Any suggestion otherwise is just sour grapes to soften the blow to the PSU fan's ego, whether he goes to Rutgers or not.
My point was that you claimed to see both sides, then represented 1 side.

Pretty sure the kid is living by the rules otherwise he'd already be enrolled at Rutgers. CS is just trying to punish him out of spite and do what's best for his program and not what's best for the student athlete. The kid's gone one way or another.

It'll be funny if NS gets the waiver regardless.

The Big Ten rule is very clear about intra-B1G transfers and eligibility. That was the rule Suriano agreed to when he accepted PSU's offer of a scholarship. If he wants to change schools, as Cortez did when he transferred to Penn State from Illinois, he loses a year. There is no unfairness. In fact, absent circumstances that fall within the limited exceptions to the rule, it was be unfair to allow Suriano to *not* lose a year. You know, like to all the other people who have lost a year.

Last edited:
My point was that you claimed to see both sides, then represented 1 side.

PSU Side - Do what's best for the program
RU Side - Do what's best for the student-athlete

I get it. Obviously if the situation was reversed, I'd probably feel the same way you guys do.

The Big Ten rule is very clear about intra-B1G transfers and eligibility. That was the rule Suriano agreed to when he accepted PSU's offer of a scholarship. If he wants to change schools, as Cortez did when he transferred to Penn State from Illinois, he loses a year. There is no unfairness. In fact, absent circumstances that fall within the limited exceptions to rule, it was be unfair to allow Suriano to *not* lose a year. You know, like to all the other people who have lost a year.

No doubt. Although it could hurt him in the long run, especially if trying to recruit the Bergen Catholic program.

I get it. Obviously if the situation was reversed, I'd probably feel the same way you guys do.

Im pretty sure you are projecting with this post. The psu fans that are jumping in here are trying to explain the rules and flaws in others arguments. Which if you go to facebook or twitter and see what the wrestling media is saying it looks a lot like what these guys are saying. not because they are PSU guys, but because it is facts.

Nick will be missed but he hardly will define this PSU team or the 17-18 season. However he could do that for you guys. I feel we need to grow the sport, so Im glad he is going to you guys rather than someone in the top 15 or the big 5.

Why wouldn't he? If the process is so difficult like many of you state what's the harm in saying yea we endorse the waiver. By saying we don't endorse granting him the waiver your saying we don't want him at RU. CS knows the release is useless without the waiver which is why he granted the release(to look like a good guy) but won't endorse the waiver. Which could ultimately help persuade the committee to grant one.
Why wouldn't he? Well, Nick will potentially harm PSU's chances of winning a B1G title.
However, one more time, my question is "Why SHOULD he?" Why should he bend over backwards to help a kid who he gave a scholarship. I answered your question, now answer mine.

If Suriano returns to PSU it will snow in July. CS released NS only to RU and did not grant a waiver!! I wonder why?

You are the most "locked in person" to the Rutgers program on this board. Unless you know something different and wish to share with us, why do you keep saying Cael released NS but did not grant the waiver. It is my understanding that only B1G grants the waiver? Please explain if you are hearing something different.

Yes, you have a commanding grasp of both sides.

Since you're so clear about it, please provide some evidence to the RU belief that Cael is punishing Nick and/or only doing what's best for his program by not going to bat for him with the B10.

The evidence shows that it doesn't make any difference. The only wrestler ever to get a waiver was Micic when NW imploded with Pariano's firing. Maybe there's some true hardship, but then why hasn't it come out by now?

I guess one could say Cael should do it because it can't hurt. In which case I should ask my father in law, a retired agent, to request the IRS waive my taxes. There's no exception for that in the rules either, and no evidence that it would help, but it can't hurt.

Reactions: Gebmo
You think Nick made this decision in a vacuum, with no input from his family, other coaches, etc.? I get you want to portray it as "poor Nick, he's just a kid." But, the reality is his he made the decision with a host of people offering advice, and the support of his family.

Any reason you didnt answer my question? I asked if you show as much
come out as strong against coaches in any sport when they "change their mind" and take another opportunity as you do a 19 year old wanting to change his mind and pursue another opportunity.

Still waiting to hear your answer. Did you go after James Franklin when he left Vandy? Seems unlikely but Im just asking if you are consistent or if you cherry pick to suit your agenda.

Any reason you didnt answer my question? I asked if you show as much
come out as strong against coaches in any sport when they "change their mind" and take another opportunity as you do a 19 year old wanting to change his mind and pursue another opportunity.

Still waiting to hear your answer. Did you go after James Franklin when he left Vandy? Seems unlikely but Im just asking if you are consistent or if you cherry pick to suit your agenda.
A coach wanting to upgrade from Vandy to PSU is hardly equivalent to an athlete leaving the #1 team to go to a #20 team. Did you care as much about Jered Cortez as you do Nick Suriano?

I think the dopiest thing is the RU fans claiming it's "about the student athlete." Give me a break. It's D1 college sports and for anyone to think Cael or any top coach is gonna go and bend over backwards at a B1G board meeting and try to get waiver lifted is cuckoo.

So I put a whole year of resources, aide coaching etc into one of my athletes. He wants to go home. I grant release even though it hurts. Now you want me to go bend over backwards to try to get a board to over turn a rule in place for this athlete? Cmon now get real

I'm a PSU fan first and Rutgers is my 2nd favorite team. Take the teams and names out of it and I feel exactly the same way.

The only people getting aggravated in this thread are the people that don't like the rule that's been in place for years.

Take your heads out of your butts. If there was no penalty for transferring within the B1G, Sanderson with his name and recruiting ability would purge every B1G team if he needed a stud wrestler already enrolled somewhere else. Then you'd really see people crying.

If there was no penalty for transferring within the B1G, Sanderson with his name and recruiting ability would purge every B1G team if he needed a stud wrestler already enrolled somewhere else. Then you'd really see people crying.
What Cael wouldn't poach, Brands would. And Ryan would be in the front of the line.

Reactions: Hotshoe and pish69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT