ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano Status

I just looked today at the intermat rankings and from last year's results at 141, 3 of the top 4 will be seniors this year (and the 4th was a senior last year). Not hard to see see why there would be incentive to wait another year and presumably move up a couple notches through attrition alone.

Reactions: bigmatt718
It all depends if he can get that sixth year approved. If he can then he should sit. I don't know the case for it though.

He does not have a great case for it, and from my understanding, could not apply until after this year. You seek an additional year after your clock has run out.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
He does not have a great case for it, and from my understanding, could not apply until after this year. You seek an additional year after your clock has run out.

Now you're entering dangerous territory . . . sounds a lot like "he cannot apply for a hardship waiver to the B1G intraconference transfer rule until after he has transferred". :grimace:

I guess u haven't read any of Richie's tweets

Yeah, I've heard about them, and I am familiar with the personality type. Thus my punchline.

Seriously, though, no one will touch Nolf. Reality probably will not sink in with Lewis, even after a beatdown (which could happen at the hands of Nolf in the dual). But you have to have that optimism to make it to the top in this sport. So I get it. But c'mon man -- it's Nolf.

I expect Richie Lewis to AA and would not be surprised if he is a national champ.

You can't be serious? Lol. No one in Nolfs league and the rest of weight is a meat grinder. Off top of my head....Kemerrer, Smith, Lavalle, M. Jordan, Berger, Pantaleo. Lewis is tough no doubt but come on

Yeah, I've heard about them, and I am familiar with the personality type. Thus my punchline.

Seriously, though, no one will touch Nolf. Reality probably will not sink in with Lewis, even after a beatdown (which could happen at the hands of Nolf in the dual). But you have to have that optimism to make it to the top in this sport. So I get it. But c'mon man -- it's Nolf.

Wasn't it... "But c'mon man it's Dean!!" Before Nickal went out there? Just sayin. ...

Unless Nolf doesn't participate at Nationals in 2018, even Richie Lewis will be shocked if Richie Lewis is a national champ.
Would certainly be the shock at NCAAs this year. I do however feel he can AA. I'm hoping so anyway. Also, I'm pulling for a strong Rutgers program and the more east coast teams that could somehow pull ahead of Iowa the better. I've never hidden the fact that I dislike Iowa and many of their fans that act as if only their fanbase knows anything about the sport. You'd think they'd realize there's a reason their coach has finally learned it's smarter to recruit our boys before their own in Iowa. They live in the past. Iowa can no longer compare to the product we are putting out at our high schools here in the east.. Unfortunately for them, I think their college programs started to suffer because of it...

Not necessarily true. He doesn't have to wait. From what I've read he'll apply and get an answer before the new year. Now the answer could go either way. And he'd wrestle accordingly.
The way I understand the medical hardship, you have to lose significant parts of TWO seasons before a hardship year is granted. I don't see how Ashnault could qualify.

The way I understand the medical hardship, you have to lose significant parts of TWO seasons before a hardship year is granted. I don't see how Ashnault could qualify.

Well he did lose significant parts of two seasons, but that is besides the point as to medical hardship. I did some reading, and hope I can add some clarity.

A "Medical Hardship Waiver" is a one season thing. To qualify for a medical hardship waiver, you need to (1) compete in no more than 30% of the competition dates; (2) suffer a season ending injury prior to the start of the second half of the season. If you meet both criteria, the year will not count against your 4 competition years. Without the Medical Hardship Waiver, if you compete in a single event, you lose the entire competition year. This is why football players who play in one game and are not injured have "their redshirt burned." In other words, they lose 1 of their 4 competition years.

If Ash doesn't compete at all this year, he will obviously qualify for a medical hardship waiver, but he will not need one. If you compete in zero events, you do not lose a competition year. The problem Ash has is the "5 year clock." The 5 year clock says you have to use your 4 competition years within 5 years of enrolling. Each athlete only has 5 years in which they are "eligible to compete."

All students who redshirt and then miss an entire year due to injury (or miss enough of a year to qualify for a Medical Hardship Waiver) run up against the 5 year clock. Even if they get the Medical Hardship Waiver that gives them back a year to compete, they no longer have any eligibility left in which to use it.

In order to get another year of eligibility, the athlete needs a different type of waiver, known as a "5 Year Clock Extension." In order to qualify for this, the athlete needs to show that the equivalent of 2 seasons were missed due to factors "outside of the athlete's or the institution's control." This is where the wiggle room comes in. You do not have to hit the "Medical Hardship Waiver" criteria for a clock extension. You only need to show that hardship caused the athlete to miss a total of 2 seasons. This can be injury, or other hardship factors, like leaving to care for a sick parent, or leaving to support family.

In the case of injury, the analysis is similar to the one used for a Medical Hardship Waiver but does not require the specific criteria be met (i.e. 30%, season ending, and in first half of the season). It merely requires the athlete show that he or she did not have "the opportunity to participate." In application it is actually more strict than the Medical Hardship Waiver. That said, because there are no specific criteria, a single competition date in the second half of the season is not determinative.

Assuming Ash does not compete at all this year, he does not need to file for a Medical Hardship Waiver for 2017-18. He will not compete at all and will not use up any of his 4 competition years. He will need to apply for a 5 Year Clock Extension, because this will be his 5th year since enrolling. He will need to show that for reasons outside his control, he missed the equivalent of 2 seasons. This year is obviously one - they will provide medical evidence showing he cannot compete this year due to a season ending injury sufered before the start of the season. His redshirt year will be the other year. They will have to show that he missed the "equivalent of the entire season" due to his injury that year. As noted above, for purposes of granting a clock extension, the fact that he participated in the NCO at the end of the season is not determinative. Rather, he will only have to show that he missed so much time due to injury that year that he was effectively denied an opportunity to participate.

Last edited:
I am in the room watching Lewis train and I would not bet against him. I am not telling you what the coaches tell me. I am watching it with my own eyes. That is my opinion. He beat Lavallee at the All Star meet with a bum labrum that was operated on several weeks later. Kid has heart and guts.

Well he did lose significant parts of two seasons, but that is besides the point.

A "Medical Hardship Waiver" is a one season thing. To qualify for a medical hardship waiver, you need to (1) compete in no more than 30% of the competition dates; (2) suffer a season ending injury prior to the start of the second half of the season. If you meet both criteria, the year will not count against your 4 competition years. Without the medical hardship waiver, if you compete in a single event, you lose the entire competition year. This is why football players who play in one game but are not hurt have "their redshirt burned." In other words, they lose 1 of their 4 competition years.

If Ash doesn't compete at all this year, he will obviously qualify for a medical hardship waiver, but he will not need one. If you compete in zero events, you do not lose a competition year. The problem Ash has is the "5 year clock." The 5 year clock says you have to use your 4 competition years within 5 years of enrolling. Each athlete only has 5 years in which they are "eligible to compete."

All students who redshirt and then miss an entire year due to injury (or miss enough of a year to qualify for a Medical Hardship Waiver) run up against the 5 year clock. Even if they get the medical hardship waiver that gives them back a year to compete, they no longer have any eligibility left in which to use it.

In order to get another year of eligibility, the athlete needs a different type of wavier, known as a "5 Year Clock Extension." In order to qualify for this, the athlete needs to show that the equivalent of 2 seasons were missed due to factors outside of the athlete's or the institution's control. This is where the wiggle room comes in. You do not have to hit the "Medical Hardship Waiver" criteria for a clock extension. You only need to show that hardship caused the athlete to miss a total of 2 seasons. This can be injury, or other hardship factors, like leaving to care for a sick parent, or leaving to support family.

In the case of injury, the analysis is similar to the one used for a Medical Hardship Waiver but does not require the specific criteria be met (i.e. 30%, season ending, and in first half of the season). It merely requires the athlete show that he or she did not have "the opportunity to participate." In application it is actually more strict than the Medical Hardship Waiver. That said, because there are no specific criteria, a single competition date in the second half of the season is not determinative.

Assuming Ash does not compete at all this year, he does not need to file for a Medical Hardship Waiver for 2017-18. He will not compete at all and will not use up any of his 4 competition years. He will need to apply for a 5 Year Clock Extension, because this will be his 5th year since enrolling. He will need to show that for reasons outside his control, he missed the equivalent of 2 seasons. This year is obviously one - they will provide medical evidence showing he cannot compete this year due to a season ending injury sufered before the start of the season. His redshirt year will be the other year. They will have to show that he missed the "equivalent of the entire season" due to his injury that year. As noted above, for purposes of granting a clock extension, the fact that he participated in the NCO at the end of the season is not determinative. Rather, he will only have to show that he missed so much time due to injury that year that he was effectively denied an opportunity to participate.

Thanks. That was very informative!

I am in the room watching Lewis train and I would not bet against him. I am not telling you what the coaches tell me. I am watching it with my own eyes. That is my opinion. He beat Lavallee at the All Star meet with a bum labrum that was operated on several weeks later. Kid has heart and guts.

Bill, you have been known to be a bit pro-Rutgers in the past....

Bottom line is Ash is going to have to show that he was hurt during his redshirt season which I believe he was. Just not sure how bad it was. My guess is if he was hurt at all and can show it he will get the waiver.

I am pro-RU Cabbage but I also told you 2 years ago Lewis would win more than 20 bouts and it more than happened. He is on fire this year and wrestling with Pritzlaff as he does will only help. AA hurt his knee in his freshman year and was out a few months because of it.

Well he did lose significant parts of two seasons, but that is besides the point as to medical hardship. I did some reading, and hope I can add some clarity.

A "Medical Hardship Waiver" is a one season thing. To qualify for a medical hardship waiver, you need to (1) compete in no more than 30% of the competition dates; (2) suffer a season ending injury prior to the start of the second half of the season. If you meet both criteria, the year will not count against your 4 competition years. Without the Medical Hardship Waiver, if you compete in a single event, you lose the entire competition year. This is why football players who play in one game and are not injured have "their redshirt burned." In other words, they lose 1 of their 4 competition years.

All students who redshirt and then miss an entire year due to injury (or miss enough of a year to qualify for a Medical Hardship Waiver) run up against the 5 year clock. Even if they get the Medical Hardship Waiver that gives them back a year to compete, they no longer have any eligibility left in which to use it.

In order to get another year of eligibility, the athlete needs a different type of waiver, known as a "5 Year Clock Extension." In order to qualify for this, the athlete needs to show that the equivalent of 2 seasons were missed due to factors "outside of the athlete's or the institution's control." This is where the wiggle room comes in. You do not have to hit the "Medical Hardship Waiver" criteria for a clock extension. You only need to show that hardship caused the athlete to miss a total of 2 seasons. This can be injury, or other hardship factors, like leaving to care for a sick parent, or leaving to support family.

Well you certainly clarified that up. I would say then the 6th year looks pretty good, not a slam dunk but a pretty compelling case for. He was denied almost all of his redshirt year and only came back at the very end and wrestled one tournament unattached. Then this year with the bursa sac injury. Thanks for the clarification

I am pro-RU Cabbage but I also told you 2 years ago Lewis would win more than 20 bouts and it more than happened. He is on fire this year and wrestling with Pritzlaff as he does will only help. AA hurt his knee in his freshman year and was out a few months because of it.

Bill,
Who does Suraino work with at the club practices?

I guess when I looked at his redshirt season and saw 15-3, thought that that was a pretty full season. Apparently not the case?

I guess when I looked at his redshirt season and saw 15-3, thought that that was a pretty full season. Apparently not the case?

Wrestled the first two weekends of the season-11/3 and 11/10. Then wrestled the last weekend of the season at the NCO. I would feel more confident if he did not wrestle at the NCO.
But hey I did not think Suriano would be granted a waiver, so maybe RU is on a roll with these situations!!!

But hey I did not think Suriano would be granted a waiver, so maybe RU is on a roll with these situations!!!

Very true..if Ash gets an extra year RU better change from Scarlet Knights to Lucky Strikes!

I hope somehow he can tough it out and be effective in 2nd half and make a run at the title. IMO I think too much of a gamble to let him sit out this whole year. Doesn't look good when he wrestled end of year his redhsirt freshman year and had 18 matches total. Would hate to seem him miss out on his dream on a coin flip

Wrestled the first two weekends of the season-11/3 and 11/10. Then wrestled the last weekend of the season at the NCO. I would feel more confident if he did not wrestle at the NCO.

I saw something on a Big 12 website that indicated they use a 20% threshold and not the 30% threshhold they use for Medical Hardship. I believe Ash would still hit that criteria. There is also something in the rules about tournaments counting as one competiiton date. So although the record being 15-3...it may only be 3 competition dates which is under 20%.

If he didn't compete at NCO it would be cut and dry. My only thinking is that if RU wasn't relatively certain he would qualify, they wouldn't have let him go at the NCO.

I saw something on a Big 12 website that indicated they use a 20% threshold and not the 30% threshhold they use for Medical Hardship. I believe Ash would still hit that criteria. There is also something in the rules about tournaments counting as one competiiton date. So although the record being 15-3...it may only be 3 competition dates which is under 20%.

If he didn't compete at NCO it would be cut and dry. My only thinking is that if RU wasn't relatively certain he would qualify, they wouldn't have let him go at the NCO.

I don't think they were thinking about 6th year potential then... Just healthy and getting good competition to prepare for following season....

Wasn't it... "But c'mon man it's Dean!!" Before Nickal went out there? Just sayin. ...

I get your point, but Dean didn't downright humiliate his opponents quite like Nolf does almost every time out. The guy is just a physiological freak -- the only way he is stopped is by injury or severe illness.

I get your point, but Dean didn't downright humiliate his opponents quite like Nolf does almost every time out. The guy is just a physiological freak -- the only way he is stopped is by injury or severe illness.

Don't worry.. I know Lewis is Buster Douglas compared to Nolf being Mike Tyson...

Bo was a returning finalist, a two time B1G finalist and one time B1G champ. So it's (a lot?) different. If you wouldn't be surprised by Lewis beating Nolf (only Imar has done it, correct?), you are wearing odd glasses.

They had 146.5, which is good for 7th, I believe, on the all-time list.

Amazing to think after the near-flawless tournament last year, that they are only #7. They were still a champion (Suriano?) and an extra win or two (Gulibon?) away from 170.
Part of the reason is the NCAA tournament scoring rules changed. Prior to 2011 the tournament was scored as 64 man bracket. Each wrestler got an additional advancement point for winning in the first round. Also a win in the first round of consolations would have given an additional .5 points. That would have given Penn State 8 more points. Not enough to break the record but would put them in the top #5. If they had stayed healthy with Cortez and Suriano they might have been close on the record even with the scoring change.

Bo was a returning finalist, a two time B1G finalist and one time B1G champ. So it's (a lot?) different. If you wouldn't be surprised by Lewis beating Nolf (only Imar has done it, correct?), you are wearing odd glasses.

Most everyone outside of Cultsville didn't give Nickal a prayer of beating Dean.. Also, I would be shocked if Lewis beat Nolf... But hey, even Gable lost a match in college...

Most everyone outside of Cultsville didn't give Nickal a prayer of beating Dean.. Also, I would be shocked if Lewis beat Nolf... But hey, even Gable lost a match in college...
Based on the lack of participation on this board, I find it hard to believe that many people from RU spend much time on other boards, either. Therefore, it would be pretty hard for you to know what "most everyone" actually thought. Did you do a poll of RU people for that conclusion?

Most everyone thought it would be a great battle and leaned towards Dean, but gave Bo more than a prayer going into the match, including Wrestlestat's predictive tool, which, at the time had Bo winning 8-7. And, very few, save for Cornell fans were shocked at the outcome. After all, Bo rolls with Cael Sanderson, David Taylor, Jake Varner, Casey Cunningham and others on a daily basis, and the room matters. Those guys are pretty good. You should look them up sometime.

Cael Who?

Condescending Posts are a great way to make friends and influence people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT