ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts Army Friday Night at Jersey Mike’s Arena

Bulsak puts Army wrestler in danger at the end of the 1st period to collect backs and go up 5-4

Talked to Kyonte at the match and he is a solid 260. Just wait until he gets in shape. Sammy is so smooth and fun to watch and Rivera looks so dominating at 141. He manhandled that kid ranked in 20’s. Poz is a man on a mission as he majored another high 20’s ranked kid. Same with Bulsak.

Solid performance. Even the matches we lost, we were just one big move away. Wish MVB got his match.

Now it's time to prep for Midlands. Most of the teams have gotten tournaments in this season. Side note: Mark Hall is entering 184. Could be a good experience for Poz. Hope to see White, Olivieri, Peterson and Kyonte there (and O'Neil if Turley is back), if not at least the Southern Scuffle.

Reactions: plcoolg
I came into this season hoping for 3 AAs

Between Alvarez, Rivera, Poz and now Bulsak I think we have 4 guys who can definitely do it, not to mention Turley if he’s healthy and MVB if he’s on that weekend.

Reactions: Leonard23
Solid performance. Even the matches we lost, we were just one big move away. Wish MVB got his match.

Now it's time to prep for Midlands. Most of the teams have gotten tournaments in this season. Side note: Mark Hall is entering 184. Could be a good experience for Poz. Hope to see White, Olivieri, Peterson and Kyonte there (and O'Neil if Turley is back), if not at least the Southern Scuffle.
Why is Hall entering? Is he not ready to move on with his life?

Reactions: RobotHunter
Why is Hall entering? Is he not ready to move on with his life?

He stated that he always wanted to wrestle in the tournament and never had a chance in college. Also said that there aren't as many freestyle tournaments that he can enter.

He stated that he always wanted to wrestle in the tournament and never had a chance in college. Also said that there aren't as many freestyle tournaments that he can enter.
Really odd considering he’s entered and won the national tournament multiple times. Don’t know why someone of his caliber would dream of entering a lesser tournament in comparison but here we are.

Really odd considering he’s entered and won the national tournament multiple times. Don’t know why someone of his caliber would dream of entering a lesser tournament in comparison but here we are.
Didn’t David Taylor do the same thing?? I do remember a couple of other wrestlers that have graduated have come back to wrestle this tournament too but can’t come up with the names rn…

I was looking at the 2017 125 bracket at midlands and boy was that loaded… Suriano, S. Lee, Seabass…. Shroder, Russell, Moisey, Bresser, Milhof, McGee, and a bunch of other names wow…

Reactions: njsportsphan
Didn’t David Taylor do the same thing?? I do remember a couple of other wrestlers that have graduated have come back to wrestle this tournament too but can’t come up with the names rn…

I was looking at the 2017 125 bracket at midlands and boy was that loaded… Suriano, S. Lee, Seabass…. Shroder, Russell, Moisey, Bresser, Milhof, McGee, and a bunch of other names wow…
Yeah Taylor wrestled it but still weird

definitely a loaded 125 bracket that year. If I remember correctly Lee was still in redshirt and lost to Bresser. Iowa pulled Lee’s redshirt shortly after.

Plenty of former champs have comeback to this tournament. It's the only high caliber folk style high tournament that can be entered post college. I think it's great. Can't wait to see him and I hope Poz has an opportunity to get him. It'll only help his skill set/preparation against Brooks.

didn't hall lose his redshirt as a true freshman ,at the midlands..or was that the southern scuffle?

didn't hall lose his redshirt as a true freshman ,at the midlands..or was that the southern scuffle?
Hall's redshirt was pulled in Carver and he lost his first match out of redshirt. He wrestled in the Scuffle while he was still in redshirt(did not lose at scuffle). He lost earlier in the year at Mich St open.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Good showing by Shawver, Alvarez, SeaBass, Poz and Bulsak. MVB was solid but got sloppy at the end. Boone has more O, glad he won but not sure why he waited until SV. O'Neill does not look good. Very stiff, bad shots with no motion, and can't scramble. Glad he fought at the end and scored, but it'll be a struggle for him to contribute much. Kanniard couldn't get anything going against a strong opponent, so I'm not optimistic he'll contribute significantly either. Both are hard workers and nice guys so hopefully something changes and they do.

Good showing by Shawver, Alvarez, SeaBass, Poz and Bulsak. MVB was solid but got sloppy at the end. Boone has more O, glad he won but not sure why he waited until SV. O'Neill does not look good. Very stiff, bad shots with no motion, and can't scramble. Glad he fought at the end and scored, but it'll be a struggle for him to contribute much. Kanniard couldn't get anything going against a strong opponent, so I'm not optimistic he'll contribute significantly either. Both are hard workers and nice guys so hopefully something changes and they do.
MVB got sloppy because he went for the major. If the score was 10-1 or 3-1, or it was a tournament, I doubt he does what he did.

Reactions: rags
MVB got sloppy because he went for the major. If the score was 10-1 or 3-1, or it was a tournament, I doubt he does what he did.
Nah. He had the major with riding time, but couldn't ride out. Threw in sloppy boots and was high so he gave up the escape and then a quick takedown. Seemed like the coaches may have wanted him to cut him with about 1 min or 45 seconds left to get another takedown and then ride out, but I couldn't quite make out what they were yelling.

Nah. He had the major with riding time, but couldn't ride out. Threw in sloppy boots and was high so he gave up the escape and then a quick takedown. Seemed like the coaches may have wanted him to cut him with about 1 min or 45 seconds left to get another takedown and then ride out, but I couldn't quite make out what they were yelling.
You are correct. The second he went legs and rode high my head dropped as I knew exactly how that would end. If he wants to take the next step his mat acumen has to improve. He was riding that kid with ease prior to going legs.

Regardless, he took care of business most of the match but got robbed an opportunity for a real test. Don’t know why Army didn’t send out PJ. I was looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Anyone else surprised to hear that Alverez and Seabass barely wrestle each other in practice? I would have thought that they'd want to work with one another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT