ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Heads to Detroit for 2022 NCAA Championships / Tournament Thread

Rivera getting in on shots but Matthews is strong and funky. Surprised Rivera cut him to start the 3rd.

Rutgers should put a Goodale statue up. Guy revived the program to great heights. He's brought it as high as he can. Rutgers needs to start looking for the next guy to take it to the next level.

Seabass didn’t look great starting with the Red match last night.

Still think he was/is too small for 141. Against the top guys he gets overpowered.

Just because he lost doesn't mean he choked. People throw this around so much and it's silly.
I gotta agree with the majority rule. He definitely choked and it has been a problem in his career at the NCAA. Look, he is a great kid and had a wonderful career. Hopefully, he comes back and finishes third. Did not look into it.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine. He wrestled tight and even one could say passive 2nd and 3rd period.
I agree that he looked a little off or disinterested, not sure if it was tight, passive, nerves or a conditioning/wrestling shape issue due to missing time after surgery. That doesn't mean he choked. Upsets happen all the time. Matthews wrestled better. That's it.

WNG even said this kid was a tough matchup for Seabass...I love how you guys who probably never wrestled at this level except in your dreams feel a kid choked simply because he lost ...some of you really need to get a life

I gotta agree with the majority rule. He definitely choked and it has been a problem in his career at the NCAA. Look, he is a great kid and had a wonderful career. Hopefully, he comes back and finishes third. Did not look into it.
You wrestled four years yet only made AA twice ..what happened ..did you choke the other two years

You are and have proven it. Just bc some Doesn’t agree with your sorry ass they are a Moron. I’m in section 214 row 8 seats 5-6. Come say it to my face and I will knock your block off.
Why don’t you tell Goody and Seb that they choked to their face ...I’m sure you won’t because you just use your keyboard to show how tough you are ...

Reactions: RU Husky
Part of the problem is Rivera was never really challenged all year in dual meets and then tapped out of Big Tens. He also just physically looks smaller and weaker than these elite guys at this weight.
This is a topic I wanted to post about, but since you said it, here's my thoughts:

Enough with the lame ass dual meets/quads. Get in an early season tournament like Cliff Keen or at the least, Southern Scuffle. Wrestle Midlands as well. Unfortunately there's nothing we could have done with the Midlands this past season. That tourny turned out to be kind of lame, but everyone was grateful, because the season was in question at that point with Omicron.

Give the kids more time to rest and strengthen up/develop technique.

It's great to get the backups some matches and pile up the dual wins, but with all the ducking, our guys didn't get the necessary litmus tests to hone their craft.

I'm sorry but a win over a Socon school or NJCU mean nothing.

You are there ..go say it to Sebs face that he choked ...I dare you ! ...
First off I speak to Goody at least 3-4x per year so I will tell him to his face and we will discuss it. Second, just bc someone has an opinion you don’t agree with they are morons losers etc. everyone doesn’t have to have your opinion and why does it have to be said to his face. If I think he choked that’s my opinion. Call me whatever you want

I think he wrestled tight and not his match. Yes, Matthew’s is tough but this is his 6th year and this was supposed to be the year. He was staying 141 and was a different wrestler. Except he wasn’t.

Reactions: Leonard23
mathews was just as strong if not stronger than seabass.......also he fought off his shots with good counters
give the pitt kid some credit. he wrestled tough and won.
I had a bad feeling about that kid. All season long he physically dominated opponents.

This is a topic I wanted to post about, but since you said it, here's my thoughts:

Enough with the lame ass dual meets/quads. Get in an early season tournament like Cliff Keen or at the least, Southern Scuffle. Wrestle Midlands as well. Unfortunately there's nothing we could have done with the Midlands this past season. That tourny turned out to be kind of lame, but everyone was grateful, because the season was in question at that point with Omicron.

Give the kids more time to rest and strengthen up/develop technique.

It's great to get the backups some matches and pile up the dual wins, but with all the ducking, our guys didn't get the necessary litmus tests to hone their craft.

I'm sorry but a win over a Socon school or NJCU mean nothing.
Had nothing to do with this match but I hate our schedule as well need to hit two tourneys every year and scrap the nobody quads.

Reactions: njsportsphan
I will say one thing, as a program we are very bad at getting out from bottom. Not sure what it is but it impacts pretty much everyone. Seabass gave up over a minute of ride time as well.

Reactions: njsportsphan
You wrestled four years yet only made AA twice ..what happened ..did you choke the other two years
Yes, I choked in the first round of the NCAA, but marched back and AA'd. Your just The Van Brills neighbor, who tries to be some know it all. You couldn't walk to the refrigerator without having an air tank next to you. You're a BJ. and that doesn't stand for Bon Jovi

Last edited:
Had nothing to do with this match but I hate our schedule as well need to hit two tourneys every year and scrap the nobody quads.
Thats what I'm saying too. We wrestled a bunch of nobodies the first half of the season and some people kept pounding their chest that Rutgers was 12-1. Then we got into the Big Ten schedule and got smacked in the face and only beat two of the worst teams in the conference.

Reactions: koleszar
We are not having a very good tournament. A legendary head coach, two NCAA champs as coaches and decorated athletes at the SKWC and we have really regressed. Maybe we are making too many excuses and these kids have to toughen up. Just can't put my finger on it.

Reactions: RobotHunter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT