ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Readies for Road Duals at No. 21 Michigan State (Friday), No. 3 Michigan (Sunday) / Match Threads

To each his own and I see where you are coming from but it’s still a team sport and having 2 of your 3 best wrestlers look awful in a big spot is most certainly a poor reflection on the team as a whole. No one is going to look at the box score and say the team wrestled well.
I get it...just saying, Poz has not made a mistake in two seasons and Bulsak looked great all year(Caffey is tuff) and he wrestled poor. But Shawver-did as expected. Olivieri-thought he wrestled very well, got in on a ton of shots(was not expected to win). 141-as expected, 149-MVB-won in a toss up bout. 157-loss as expected 165-loss as expected. 174-won a toss up. Hwt-won as expected.
Hey I posted before match that these are the duals we need to win to climb the ladder. I am not happy but road wins are tuff in the Big! Could be very ugly on Sunday

Reactions: Leonard23 and MS-RU
Oliveri definitely looked good against a tough opponent. Got in deep on a ton of shots but couldn’t finish. Encouraging to see his offensive attack grow/improve as he is already very good defensively. They were also smart to not make him go down either which gave him a real chance to win.

after the break team looked uninspired. O’Neill did nothing till the end. Poz did not come out with fire, the other guy wanted it more from the get go. I get that plz made a mistake but the other wrestler jumped him immediately. Very bad look. Bulsak was not his aggressive self. Something just seemed wrong after the break

not the best result … puts a dent in RU finishing .500 in conference

Really came down to Poz trying a WTF move against a good scrambler, Maybe panicked a little although was still early and Bulsak trying to stay aggressive and getting caught in a bad position. Caffey one of few that can probably match his stength and hard to score on. He let Caffey get of his Upper body which is where Caffey lives.

after the break team looked uninspired. O’Neill did nothing till the end. Poz did not come out with fire, the other guy wanted it more from the get go. I get that plz made a mistake but the other wrestler jumped him immediately. Very bad look. Bulsak was not his aggressive self. Something just seemed wrong after the break
Disagree on Bulsak. He took a lot of shots and was the aggressor. Unfortunately last scramble he lost badly and got caught

Really came down to Poz trying a WTF move against a good scrambler, Maybe panicked a little although was still early and Bulsak trying to stay aggressive and getting caught in a bad position. Caffey one of few that can probably match his stength and hard to score on. He let Caffey get of his Upper body which is where Caffey lives.
Yup. Caffey is a U-23 greco national champion so you definitely don’t want to let him get ahold of your upper body like that. It won’t end well for anyone. I’m sure that was in the scouting report so it’s one of those moments where you need to know your opponent and the situation. It’s okay to give up two but you absolutely can’t be reckless in that situation. Hopefully a valuable lesson learned.

Really came down to Poz trying a WTF move against a good scrambler, Maybe panicked a little although was still early
Poz looked sluggish and made a mistake. It sucks but it happens. I wouldn't call that a WTF move as he hits that pretty regularly. Yale St move.

Poz looked sluggish and made a mistake. It sucks but it happens. I wouldn't call that a WTF move as he hits that pretty regularly. Yale St move.
Yeah I just think need to know your opponent and Malczewski is a good scrambler.

So, this doesn't qualify as a choke; just bad wrestling from guys who were expected to win. Just to be clear- when is it a choke?
In the B10 anyone can beat anyone on any given night ...it’s a no joke conference ..just tonite we had our upsets unfortunately on the same night ....for instance did # 1 Suriano who barely won against the guy Shawver dominated yet lost in a close match ...did NS choke ...did # 1 Alex Marinelli choke in his loss to the #8 ranked kid ..our downfall was having our two guys lose on the same night ..they got beat ..why is it a choke ?

Reactions: elvis7
Lets be honest this team hasn't beaten a quality team yet this year. The 12 wins sound nice but look who they were against. Terrible lose tonight no way to sugar coat it.

In the B10 anyone can beat anyone on any given night ...it’s a no joke conference ..just tonite we had our upsets unfortunately on the same night ....for instance did # 1 Suriano who barely won against the guy Shawver dominated yet lost in a close match ...did NS choke ...did # 1 Alex Marinelli choke in his loss to the #8 ranked kid ..our downfall was having our two guys lose on the same night ..they got beat ..why is it a choke ?
No way to sugarcoat it… back to back upsets from our top guns is pretty disappointing… win one n we win the dual.. both got a tough test next match..

Michigan St dual

125 Lujan is athletic and can wrestle CA kid
133 Foley be a good test for Joey O
149 Omania beat VB last time out
157 Saldate will be the favorite
165 Fish can wrestle be a good match
174 Jimenez isn't bad be competitive
184 Malczewski ranked scrambles well
197 Caffey most know him athletic and funky
Hwt Wilton very underrated Hwt expect a close one

This dual is gonna be a fun one and with some great matches. Buckle up
I had a weird feeling about this one that's why I spelled it out for everyone. This dual was a coin flip

first bad mental match by poz i have ever seen
Hit the nail on the head. Something was off with Poz. He didnt look right the entire match, made poor decisions on his feet and on defense. Very uncharacteristic of him. Based on the body of his work thus far, this loss can be written off.
this guy is 207 pounds and boone cant do anything
I'm tired of watching him lean on his leg when neutral. It's a very ineffective offense.
Bulsak had this match. Caffey is a good wrestler but has the stamina of a grandmother with heart failure. Bulsak will learn from this loss. BTW, you think Caffey is one of the few who can match his strength? Wait till he sees Amine, Brucki, Ferrari and whatever other wrestlers I cant think of off the top of my head at the moment. Bulsak wrestled well against a good opponent. Just couldn't close the deal.

Hit the nail on the head. Something was off with Poz. He didnt look right the entire match, made poor decisions on his feet and on defense. Very uncharacteristic of him. Based on the body of his work thus far, this loss can be written off.
I hate to say this, but it didnt look like Poz fought once he got to his back. At first glance, it looked like there was still a little time to turn a shoulder or at least bridge. It reminded me of when Sammy went to his back against Lehigh, but not as bad.

That was a match Poz needed. Especially with Amine coming up. I just hope his spirits are alright after that Brooks match and now this.

And I agree about Boone. I think he has the talent, but doesn't have the size, strength and conditioning to make the attacks he would normally do. I don't get the whole arm on the leg thing either. Hopefully Kyonte can help us there.

Last edited:
Reactions: LETSGORU91
I got it. Make the coaching staff walk from East Lansing to Ann Arbor as punishment for losing!

I know no one really cares about this, but the MSU announcers were excellent (all things considered). For a team that hasn’t had much wrestling success, both announcers were knowledgeable about the sport itself as well as our guys. Refreshing to see after some of the commentators from away duals.

I was thinking the same. Brooks brought him down to earth. Something like that can be demoralizing. I'd rather think now that he'll be motivated to redeem himself.

Yup. Brooks literally defended every shot by a bronze medalist. No shame in taking the L to him, even though thats not what he preps for. That firemans carry that Poz hit was nasty.

I really do think Poz has a chance against Amine. He gets tired early, so anything is possible. There's a huge age gap there too.

Last edited:
I didn't think Poz wrestled with the same spark or snap that he normally does. You can't let off the gas with a kid like that. Bulsak will come back. He's got to take it to Brucki.There's two scenarios here. Either he's going to rise to the occasion and get on that Podium like we all know he can, or it's going to be another Richie Lewis situation. Has a great season and then choked during the NCAA tournament

I know no one really cares about this, but the MSU announcers were excellent (all things considered). For a team that hasn’t had much wrestling success, both announcers were knowledgeable about the sport itself as well as our guys. Refreshing to see after some of the commentators from away duals.
I mostly disagree with this. The entire broadcast was shoddy. I listened to reverb, screeching and echos on the broadcast. The on screen, match score was frequently incorrect. I will say the play by play dude had knowledge, but he couldnt speak in full sentences. He'd start with a thought and stopped the sentence midway and left complete silence afterwards. He did this countless times. Plus the moment a Rutgers guy was broken down, he'd lobby for stalling. I said to my two buddies and my son this guy was probably a freshman or sophomore, student announcer and was learning the ropes. So I cut him some slack, only to hear him label himself as a MSU alum. He kept calling one of our guys the wrong name the entire match. There were countless other errors and attempts at filling time with "what the hell did he just say?" moments.

So, this doesn't qualify as a choke; just bad wrestling from guys who were expected to win. Just to be clear- when is it a choke?
A choke is when an athlete is put in a high pressure situation and suddenly is incapable of doing things they can normally always do.

I don’t think Poz getting caught in a scramble or Bulsak getting turned to his back in a dual in an empty gym in January really qualifies. They’re surprising sure, but I don’t think these guys collapsed under pressure. They just got beat, in Poz case by a lesser opponent. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: elvis7
A choke is when an athlete is put in a high pressure situation and suddenly is incapable of doing things they can normally always do.

I don’t think Poz getting caught in a scramble or Bulsak getting turned to his back in a dual in an empty gym in January really qualifies. They’re surprising sure, but I don’t think these guys collapsed under pressure. They just got beat, in Poz case by a lesser opponent. Just my opinion though.
Maybe it wasn’t high pressure enough but it became a tight match against a team many predicted us to beat…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT