ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Readies for Road Duals at No. 21 Michigan State (Friday), No. 3 Michigan (Sunday) / Match Threads

We scored 0 offensive points/takedowns in the last 6 straight matches (one being a FF) and none in 8 out of 10. I wasn’t expecting fireworks but man that was brutal.

I’m with you. Progress is a process. There’s ups and downs each year and some years that are better than others but as long as the line continues to trend upwards it doesn’t have to be a straight line

With injuries mounting and some things not working out like Alvarez this team is a shell of it self from beginning of year
What happened to Alvarez… incredible first season winning scuffle and right up there with RBY…133 that year had young studs R. Lovett and Austin Gomez who both now fit in nicely at 149 now(y can’t u Sammy)… while Alverez sucking all he can to try n make weight….two years in a row… n can’t even be in lineup… I remember him talking bout trying make 125(even had cool nickname “the bull”)to try n make murderers row w/ suriano and Rivera.. I hope his head is alright and wrestling is still fun after the last two season…

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It was a weird match. The riding time clock was all screwed up in the 3rd period while Dean was on top. Almost like he thought he had riding time advantage.

Anyway, Caffey was STILL super gassed 45 minutes after the match. He said he has the stamina of a “grandmother with heart problems, but never quits wrestling." Haha, pretty excellent weekend for him. Might have a future in stand up, too. 😂
He had a great weekend but I still stand by that comment. I watched him during the B1G tourney at Rutgers and then again on Friday. He sucks wind by the end of the first period. Just because I said he gets winded does not mean he isn't a good wrestler. He was second in the B1G at the RAC and has some impressive Greco results. If Bulsak wrestled smarter at the end, he would have won that match.
Did we get a takedown in the match besides Rivera and the 1 MVB?
This type of stat reminds me when Nicky and Anthony were ruling the mat. They were the only people capable of getting a takedown against the better competition. Many guys back then didn't even bother taking shots.

I’m with you. Progress is a process. There’s ups and downs each year and some years that are better than others but as long as the line continues to trend upwards it doesn’t have to be a straight line
Question is...is it trending upward or not? Next season Rivera, MVB and Bulsak all gone. Thats like 40 wins between the three of them right now. Also, Sammy is a question mark at his point.

Reactions: gogs7
It seems that we had a really easy out of conference schedule and haven't done as well as projected. The ease schedule was likely intentional to break so many freshman in. Oliveri has been a great surprise and Rivera has been on a roll. Bulsak beat a kid ranked higher than him. Has any other wrestler beat a higher ranked kid? I was hoping for a better performance this year. Hopefully, we can regroup to beat Ohio State and have a great Big Ten tournament.

Turley and Janzer are out, the other wrestlers will be back. We should have won both matches, but this is the Big Ten and anything can happen. VTech just ff to NC State the other day. Arizona State loss to Pitt. Campbell beat Lehigh.

It seems that we had a really easy out of conference schedule and haven't done as well as projected. The ease schedule was likely intentional to break so many freshman in. Oliveri has been a great surprise and Rivera has been on a roll. Bulsak beat a kid ranked higher than him. Has any other wrestler beat a higher ranked kid? I was hoping for a better performance this year. Hopefully, we can regroup to beat Ohio State and have a great Big Ten tournament.
Ohio St almost beat Iowa the other night...no chance this Rutgers team comes close to beating them.

Turley and Janzer are out, the other wrestlers will be back. We should have won both matches, but this is the Big Ten and anything can happen. VTech just ff to NC State the other day. Arizona State loss to Pitt. Campbell beat Lehigh.
Are you saying Alvarez will be back? Va Tech FF because of COVID. Campbell beat Lehigh in first match of season. Then Lehigh really improved including beating Cornell. Other than Bulsak's victory over Bonaccorsi who has beaten a higher ranked kid or has the team beaten a higher ranked team? Most teams have injuries or have been shut down do to COVID. If I am missing some facts, please correct me. Just relying to be objective,

So why is it that PSU hires a coach and immediately wins 3 NCs in a row? I love RU but I find it hard to get all that emotionally invested in a team where we seemingly have zero shot to win a team title. I feel the same about football. Is it just money? Is it just the coach?

I’m the first to admit that I’m clueless about wrestling so please take my opinion lightly.

32-8? Ugh … I know they are ranked but sounds like a bad showing not getting takedowns in 8 matches.

Not making excuses... But we have 6 "freshman" in the lineup right now... Still a top 20 team....

Question is...is it trending upward or not? Next season Rivera, MVB and Bulsak all gone. Thats like 40 wins between the three of them right now. Also, Sammy is a question mark at his point.
Think about it this way. Like 10 years ago we had, what, 10 all Americans ever?

Since then we’ve had 4 from Ashnault, 2 from Suriano, Turley, Rivera, Poz, Delvecchio, Theobold, Perrotti.

Even with as “bad” of season a lot of people think this is, we still have a decent shot to match our record for most AAs in one year.

If next year we take a step back, that doesn’t mean the trend upwards has stopped. It could. But we really won’t know until we’re a few years removed. We’re in a slight dip in the process the last 2 weeks but that doesn’t mean the curve is going down. The stock market works the same way. There’s peaks and valleys but it always moves up over time. Well see if continue to move upwards.

Today we had 6 freshmen or redshirt frosh starting so I feel the future is bright. Next year we have Sammy and White back
They may be freshman but that doesn’t guarantee they will continue to get better next year… gotta keep working hard to get to the next level.

Add Peterson, Soldano, Hamilton (hopefully), Turley, Sammy, Janzer. The subtractions will be missed, but there are plenty of additions which we didn't see this year who can contribute next year.
So why is it that PSU hires a coach and immediately wins 3 NCs in a row? I love RU but I find it hard to get all that emotionally invested in a team where we seemingly have zero shot to win a team title. I feel the same about football. Is it just money? Is it just the coach?

I’m the first to admit that I’m clueless about wrestling so please take my opinion lightly.
You don't get emotionally invested in a team unless they have a chance at winning a title? That sounds like the definition of a fair weather fan, no? These guys on the mat are good and fun to watch. Plus in wrestling, you are looking at individual wrestlers who have title chances or the chance at earning All American status which is pretty damn impressive.

RU is on the rise. Hard to compete with teams like Michigan and Iowa this year when the majority of their lineup is 5th-7th year wrestlers, who are really good.

Clark is wrestling guys tough. I just wish he can get to some shots. And same with Joey. They both need to finish them as well. But they look great for freshmen.

There will be a void with Seb and Bulsak leaving but we're getting a really good Blue-chip in Soldano and Cassale. Seb may wrestle for our club, so there's a chance our guys get to continue working with him.

The only thing I've been wondering about RU is does our "Pro New Jersey" recruiting strategy hurt our chances of landing good PA wrestlers? There's a big PA/NJ rivalry. You don't see the other Big10 schools bragging about themselves as being the state team (other than maybe Iowa).

Maybe it's just a Jersey thing, but I think it hurts our chances of landing more out of state talent. Think about it, why would a top PA kid come here after all thoughout their highschool career they were always compared to NJ or part of the which sate is better argument? They're basically raised to hate NJ.

We've lost out on a lot of that Lehigh Valley talent, especially to Nebraska!
There's also a huge rivalry with NY state. We need to land that Section 9 talent too. They've got some very good future Bluechips at Minisink Valley.

They hired the best wrestler of all time who has shaped up to possibly be the best coach of all time. They also have a lot more money at their disposal to pay for resources.

Cael also inherited a team with Molinaro and a few other all Americans. They were a top 5 team the year before. It’s not like he built the roster from scratch. I wasn’t around during the dog days of the Rutgers wrestling program but it sounds that as recently as 20 years ago there were more employees in the building for Rutgers matches than fans. Now we’re regarded as having a top 5 arena in the country. The trend is positive.

Ohio St almost beat Iowa the other night...no chance this Rutgers team comes close to beating them.
We match up pretty well with Ohio State I think. There’s a lot of toss up matches and if we can win most of them, and we can hold guys to decisions are 149 and 165 it could be really close.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
They hired the best wrestler of all time who has shaped up to possibly be the best coach of all time. They also have a lot more money at their disposal to pay for resources.

Cael also inherited a team with Molinaro and a few other all Americans. They were a top 5 team the year before. It’s not like he built the roster from scratch. I wasn’t around during the dog days of the Rutgers wrestling program but it sounds that as recently as 20 years ago there were more employees in the building for Rutgers matches than fans. Now we’re regarded as having a top 5 arena in the country. The trend is positive.
He also had David Taylor and Ed Ruth follow him to PSU… not a bad start

We match up pretty well with Ohio State I think. There’s a lot of toss up matches and if we can win most of them, and we can hold guys to decisions are 149 and 165 it could be really close.
I was eyeing up this match when I saw the schedule.. thinking maybe this is the year we overtake Ohio st. Maybe we r on same lvl as them.. closer… wasn’t that long ago they were national champions….. it feels like we always come up short in these big matches though….

Side note to everything…if SeaBass is NOT the #1 seed for the B1G tournament, then Goody should have his top guys duck as hard as the rest of them moving forward.

There needs to be accountability/punishment for no contest matches. Rivera was there when Lee wasn’t. That should be equitable to a loss or some form to put Lee at a disadvantage when seeding comes.
Saying this out loud…these matches will also likely hurt Rivera’s RPI come tourney time, which is utter crap.

Yes I was there in the dog days and was one of the 23 fans in the Barn for Coach Goodale’s first meet as a coach. We had nowhere near 9.9 scholarships for our wrestlers to spread around. So I have einessed the growth and it has been terrific. We are in the best conference in the country. Regarding PA wrestlers, almost 1/2 of Iowa’s starters are from PA.

And give Crackers credit. He said it for weeks and that he needs more offense from his feet.

He’s right there against the best in the country but legs aren’t going to work against the elitd
I don't want it take any credit for pointing out Bulsak's latest misfortunes. He is wrestling the top five guys in the country and keeping it close outside of a screw up with Caffrey. Greg rivals Nick gravina to a T. A super tough aggressive wrestler who has all the potential to be in All American, but is stifled by a limited arsenal of moves. Gravina's Slide by was so effective, until coaches caught on to it that was the only movie he did from neutral. It's the same thing with Bulsak. He has absolutely every making an All-American, but now coaches and wrestlers are aware of him throwing in legs ala Brucki countering his throwing in of the legs. Bulsak is strong enough to start setting up a Russian tie to some underhooks. That would get him in a body lock position or possibly a inside trip. If he could pull that off plus his legs shooting he will definitely get on the podium. Furthermore he gets very high and immediately throws and legs, with the wrestlers anticipating this. He should break down his opponents into either a spiral ride, or a horse collar tie like Mike Van Brill does. That would get his opponent out of sorts possibly putting Bulsak in position for him to throw in legs. He has to master a couple different moves from the neutral and referees position or he's going to win maybe one possibly two matches at best at the NCAA tournament.

I was eyeing up this match when I saw the schedule.. thinking maybe this is the year we overtake Ohio st. Maybe we r on same lvl as them.. closer… wasn’t that long ago they were national champions….. it feels like we always come up short in these big matches though….
This might be true at this moment but they have the #1 recruiting class for 2022 where they have 3 of the top 4 P4P guys in the country signed. In 2023 they already have 2 top 20 P4P guys committed as well. Recruiting is biggest difference maker and they are recruiting the best right now so that’s going to make a huge difference.

This might be true at this moment but they have the #1 recruiting class for 2022 where they have 3 of the top 4 P4P guys in the country signed. In 2023 they already have 2 top 20 P4P guys committed as well. Recruiting is biggest difference maker and they are recruiting the best right now so that’s going to make a huge difference.
Yep, we gotta beat them this year or we will prolly have to wait for a long time to have a decent shot to beat them again… their 3 top 4 p4p reminds me of the class they got Tomassello, Bo Jordan, and Snyder… that class lead them to a title.

Yep, we gotta beat them this year or we will prolly have to wait for a long time to have a decent shot to beat them again… their 3 top 4 p4p reminds me of the class they got Tomassello, Bo Jordan, and Snyder… that class lead them to a title.
If Poz is not available we aren’t beating them. I know zero about the injury but it didn’t sound good earlier on this thread like he was coming back anytime soon.

RU wins 133,141,197..they need to find 2 more..157/125 are toss ups with leans to tOSU. Poz is key..need him to beat Romero and then take one or both tossups

I haven't looked at the matchups, but are we really talking about beating OSU with many of our starters on the shelf and many of the remaining guys not even ranked/not highly ranked??

I haven't looked at the matchups, but are we really talking about beating OSU with many of our starters on the shelf and many of the remaining guys not even ranked/not highly ranked??
We are overall usually over optimistic here.. objectively, I don’t think we have much of a shot to beat them.. we rarely upset/win these big matches.. prolly will be a let down.. too many guys injured/ only guy with killer mentality is Seabass rn.

Some people are but some were also saying we had a chance to beat Michigan and look how that ended up. The score vs Ohio St will be similar to the loses to Penn St and Michigan. It just is what it is right now with injuries and a lot of freshman in our lineup.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT