ADVERTISEMENT

No. 15 Rutgers Wrestling Closes Dual Season with No. 20 Princeton (Friday), Columbia (Saturday) / Match Threads

Regarding the senior day graphic. Why is Robinson, Benner, Gappas and Angelo on there if on the roster they aren't listed as seniors?
They might be graduating this year and moving on afterwards. Not definite though. Zach Firestone celebrated senior day a few years ago and returned for another season the following year.

They’re not listed as seniors on the rosters due to redshirts and covid years. Theoretically you could be a senior academically and a sophomore athletically. If someone had used a medical or Olympic redshirt they could actually be a senior in the classroom and a freshman on the mat.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Gapas hung tough and looked good against the #20 guy in the country. Was winning the majority of the match.

Asa Garcia at 149 for RU

He got dominated......gives up a major

Last edited:
RU depth is non existent if the backups are getting worked by Columbia wresters.

Clark getting owned as well
gives up major with 10 seconds ledr
14-10 columbia

I know they are freshman but its hard to see many of these guys ever doing much in the Big Ten unfortunately. Recruiting needs to step up big time.

Oneil rides the second period....showing some life

loses 2-1

17-9 columbia

We have starters who can barely compete with Columbia. Nice
Particularly speaking of Clark and ONeill. Poz didn’t look good either

Last edited:
Harley beating me up yesterday when I said Poz was still not looking good. How we feeling today? Cochran majored that guy last night. Poz isn’t the same wrestler. No idea why. If he’s not injured then it is extremely worrisome

Harley beating me up yesterday when I said Poz was still not looking good. How we feeling today? Cochran majored that guy last night. Poz isn’t the same wrestler. No idea why. If he’s not injured then it is extremely worrisome
Has to be injured.

Reactions: Leonard23
I think Poz is mentally fried. I'm telling you I've seen this so many times before where somebody becomes All American and their first and second year, and then they just diminish. Look at Mark Reiland from Iowa. Won a national championship and doesn't even qualify for the NCAA tournament the next year.

I think Poz is mentally fried. I'm telling you I've seen this so many times before where somebody becomes All American and their first and second year, and then they just diminish. Look at Mark Reiland from Iowa. Won a national championship and doesn't even qualify for the NCAA tournament the next year.
It honestly has to be hard following up after Clark and O'Neil.

No. 14 Wrestling Caps Dual Season with Thrilling 18-17 win over Columbia

Crackers you probably don’t know it. Mark Reiland recently died. He was a successful high school coach in Iowa. Also a 2 time All American and one time national champ.

Question: what do you think it would take for Rutgers to a regular top 10 program? What is most important recruiting, coaching, culture, money, administration support, fan base or something else. Rutgers has a passionate fan base, great high school wrestling, and one of the best facilities.

Beating MSU and tOSU and we would have been a top 10 team this year. With 7 kids with 3 years of eligibility left and a stud freshman coming in. So the future is bright. Just need to capitalize on the chances we have. Assuming turley returns can O’Neill go back to 165? He could be very effective there after this year of learning

Crackers you probably don’t know it. Mark Reiland recently died. He was a successful high school coach in Iowa. Also a 2 time All American and one time national champ.

Question: what do you think it would take for Rutgers to a regular top 10 program? What is most important recruiting, coaching, culture, money, administration support, fan base or something else. Rutgers has a passionate fan base, great high school wrestling, and one of the best facilities.

Beating MSU and tOSU and we would have been a top 10 team this year. With 7 kids with 3 years of eligibility left and a stud freshman coming in. So the future is bright. Just need to capitalize on the chances we have. Assuming turley returns can O’Neill go back to 165? He could be very effective there after this year of learning
I'd rather have Clark at 165. I think O'Neil took 2 shots this season. Once against a d3 team and the other against a highschool kid that he lost to.

Yes I do know that Mark Reiland passed away. I heard it was from covid. That was criminal. Left behind a wife and children. He was quite a few years years after me.

I really had to think long and hard what you asked me. It's not a simple question and a hard one to answer. I think it starts at the top. All the most dynamic wrestlers buy into cael sanderson, Tom ryan, and Tom brands. There's a level of security, and a sense of proving yourself when you wrestle underneath these type of coaches and their legacies. Furthermore, when recruiting they know who are the top 1 to 5 guys who will carry that certain type of mindset into college wrestling. Did you ever notice that most of cael sanderson's wrestlers have similar personalities to him? It's not by mistake. Very unassuming, quiet, but extremely focused, physically gifted athletes... plain and simple. It's the same thing with brands. His athletes always seem like physically gifted, intense screwballs. These coaches know what works for them and who they can coach and who they can coach. Also the culture on the campuses. It's a given that wrestling is number one in Iowa, football and wrestling are number two at Ohio State, and wrestling and football are number one and two at Penn State. There's so much support from the community, state of the art facilities, incredible financial funding, and this air that you have to prove yourself on the team... even if you're the highest level high school wrestler. We don't have that at Rutgers. It's almost like what sport is hot for 2 years or in the moment the administration and student body buy into. Also Rutgers is a very liberal campus in comparison to an iowa, Penn State or Ohio State. We'd rather celebrate a racist professor, a non binary organization, and partying lifestyle, then get behind our athletes. That's just the culture of New Jersey. I also think good Dale is to PC. He finds the goodness even in the worst situations and it's all about preserving his position as a coach. He finds the good in everything, which is a good quality but it can't be for every situation. When brands is pissed he lets people know about it and nobody questions him. Hence the overly liberal culture that he surrounded by in Rutgers. He has to watch everything he says. It's tough being a coach in a very physical sport at a very liberal, sissy boy School. This is certainly not the Rutgers I went to. So I really think the failure is and why we're stagnant is that we don't have the big name as a head coach regardless of his successes, and he doesn't exude that intensity those other three do. A lot of it has to do with the campus life. You can't fault him. He's a business and family man like everybody else is. With that said I will still stick to my original argument in that he's brought Rutgers further in the amount of time, any coach has brought a program they took over. I just think we're stagnant. We also recruit too many lighter weights. We have this log jam a lower weights but scammering for middleweight guys.

Yes I do know that Mark Reiland passed away. I heard it was from covid. That was criminal. Left behind a wife and children. He was quite a few years years after me.

I really had to think long and hard what you asked me. It's not a simple question and a hard one to answer. I think it starts at the top. All the most dynamic wrestlers buy into cael sanderson, Tom ryan, and Tom brands. There's a level of security, and a sense of proving yourself when you wrestle underneath these type of coaches and their legacies. Furthermore, when recruiting they know who are the top 1 to 5 guys who will carry that certain type of mindset into college wrestling. Did you ever notice that most of cael sanderson's wrestlers have similar personalities to him? It's not by mistake. Very unassuming, quiet, but extremely focused, physically gifted athletes... plain and simple. It's the same thing with brands. His athletes always seem like physically gifted, intense screwballs. These coaches know what works for them and who they can coach and who they can coach. Also the culture on the campuses. It's a given that wrestling is number one in Iowa, football and wrestling are number two at Ohio State, and wrestling and football are number one and two at Penn State. There's so much support from the community, state of the art facilities, incredible financial funding, and this air that you have to prove yourself on the team... even if you're the highest level high school wrestler. We don't have that at Rutgers. It's almost like what sport is hot for 2 years or in the moment the administration and student body buy into. Also Rutgers is a very liberal campus in comparison to an iowa, Penn State or Ohio State. We'd rather celebrate a racist professor, a non binary organization, and partying lifestyle, then get behind our athletes. That's just the culture of New Jersey. I also think good Dale is to PC. He finds the goodness even in the worst situations and it's all about preserving his position as a coach. He finds the good in everything, which is a good quality but it can't be for every situation. When brands is pissed he lets people know about it and nobody questions him. Hence the overly liberal culture that he surrounded by in Rutgers. He has to watch everything he says. It's tough being a coach in a very physical sport at a very liberal, sissy boy School. This is certainly not the Rutgers I went to. So I really think the failure is and why we're stagnant is that we don't have the big name as a head coach regardless of his successes, and he doesn't exude that intensity those other three do. A lot of it has to do with the campus life. You can't fault him. He's a business and family man like everybody else is. With that said I will still stick to my original argument in that he's brought Rutgers further in the amount of time, any coach has brought a program they took over. I just think we're stagnant. We also recruit too many lighter weights. We have this log jam a lower weights but scammering for middleweight guys.
Ha! The wrestling team isn’t good because kids today don’t share my political views. Dude, turn off your TV. It’s driving you crazy.

Reactions: Leonard23 and gogs7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT