ADVERTISEMENT

No. 15 Rutgers Wrestling Closes Dual Season with No. 20 Princeton (Friday), Columbia (Saturday) / Match Threads

Was not expecting a political answer there. Woof.

In my opinion, we need to do a better job recruiting at the national level. NJ is a wrestling hot bed, no doubt, but overall it’s probably not as good as PA or Ohio. If we were able to land every single elite NJ wrestler, we’d probably be top 5. The problem is Ohio State and Penn State are able to recruit in our state and we’re not as successful recruiting in theirs. We also have Cornell and Princeton that will take the perochial kids and our hotbed is generally reduced to only public school wrestlers.

That said, recently we’ve done great landing Poz, Soldano, Peterson, even JoJo, Kannaird, and Janzer were elite recruits. We need to keep that momentum while also grabbing kids from other states.

Yes I do know that Mark Reiland passed away. I heard it was from covid. That was criminal. Left behind a wife and children. He was quite a few years years after me.

I really had to think long and hard what you asked me. It's not a simple question and a hard one to answer. I think it starts at the top. All the most dynamic wrestlers buy into cael sanderson, Tom ryan, and Tom brands. There's a level of security, and a sense of proving yourself when you wrestle underneath these type of coaches and their legacies. Furthermore, when recruiting they know who are the top 1 to 5 guys who will carry that certain type of mindset into college wrestling. Did you ever notice that most of cael sanderson's wrestlers have similar personalities to him? It's not by mistake. Very unassuming, quiet, but extremely focused, physically gifted athletes... plain and simple. It's the same thing with brands. His athletes always seem like physically gifted, intense screwballs. These coaches know what works for them and who they can coach and who they can coach. Also the culture on the campuses. It's a given that wrestling is number one in Iowa, football and wrestling are number two at Ohio State, and wrestling and football are number one and two at Penn State. There's so much support from the community, state of the art facilities, incredible financial funding, and this air that you have to prove yourself on the team... even if you're the highest level high school wrestler. We don't have that at Rutgers. It's almost like what sport is hot for 2 years or in the moment the administration and student body buy into. Also Rutgers is a very liberal campus in comparison to an iowa, Penn State or Ohio State. We'd rather celebrate a racist professor, a non binary organization, and partying lifestyle, then get behind our athletes. That's just the culture of New Jersey. I also think good Dale is to PC. He finds the goodness even in the worst situations and it's all about preserving his position as a coach. He finds the good in everything, which is a good quality but it can't be for every situation. When brands is pissed he lets people know about it and nobody questions him. Hence the overly liberal culture that he surrounded by in Rutgers. He has to watch everything he says. It's tough being a coach in a very physical sport at a very liberal, sissy boy School. This is certainly not the Rutgers I went to. So I really think the failure is and why we're stagnant is that we don't have the big name as a head coach regardless of his successes, and he doesn't exude that intensity those other three do. A lot of it has to do with the campus life. You can't fault him. He's a business and family man like everybody else is. With that said I will still stick to my original argument in that he's brought Rutgers further in the amount of time, any coach has brought a program they took over. I just think we're stagnant. We also recruit too many lighter weights. We have this log jam a lower weights but scammering for middleweight guys.
Some very good points in there but I disagree that we are stagnant and mostly disagree (depth issues) on recruiting at the upper weights. Two AAs multiple years in a row and three AAs last year (two of them youngster) point towards an upward trajectory. This year might have been the best team yet, but injuries and other circumstances have left the team a shell of what it could have been. Goodale doesnt have the clout as some of the big boys, but he's on the right path...albeit slowly at this point. Quality depth is better at the lighter weights than it maybe ever has been. As for the upper weights, recruiting has improved. Poz, Soldano, Bulzak (one year rental), and Hamilton are the likes we havent since...well...never? The middle weights are just a barren desert at this point.

Edit: add Turley to the much improved, upper weight, recruited bunch.

Last edited:
I think Poz is mentally fried. I'm telling you I've seen this so many times before where somebody becomes All American and their first and second year, and then they just diminish. Look at Mark Reiland from Iowa. Won a national championship and doesn't even qualify for the NCAA tournament the next year.
Again ..I totally agree ..I don’t believe he is hurt at all ..mentally not where he was for sure it seems ..life in the Big 10 will do that to kids who had nothing but success in high school.

Crackers: You've flushed out a couple of the people you referenced. I already knew SCNJ was a social warrior. You are not wrong about that and those here will practice their cancel culture that has so many fearful today. By turn off your TV, they mean tune in MSNBC to be told how you should be thinking.

You hit on several key issues but not all and not the underlying issues.

"Poz, Soldano, Peterson, even JoJo, Kannaird, and Janzer were elite recruits"
In only his second year, we're already worried about Poz. Peterson has been injured or sick since showing up and I have my doubts and concern that he might join the ranks of Aragaona, Raimo, Aguilar, Glassgow, and Vulakh. There is a string of others that have not "panned out". Judge yourself whether or not Kanniard is advancing like an elite recruit should. Janzer wasn't and now he's injured as is Turley. Soldano? Wait and see.

Better recruiting, better development. It’s just that simple. It seems we get a guy or two who are top 7 or so in their weight class, but the depth behind those guys could be better, plus we don’t get the elite guys on the top PFP overall. Then the development has to be there. Aragona, Alvarez, Poz, guys like that based on resumes coming in or early promise, need to see guys like that bloom into national elite. Still might happen with Poz and Alvarez but right now they are taking steps back, not forward.

I have a suggestion. Let’s all chip in and buy out Goodale’s last two years of his contract and have Pat Hobbs go get that big name coach!

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Crackers: You've flushed out a couple of the people you referenced. I already knew SCNJ was a social warrior. You are not wrong about that and those here will practice their cancel culture that has so many fearful today. By turn off your TV, they mean tune in MSNBC to be told how you should be thinking.
What are you even talking about? You’re just a miserable person. No idea how that makes me a social warrior but you do you. Keep on calling out others with the passive aggressive comments and being one of the three main forces making this board borderline unreadable

I have a suggestion. Let’s all chip in and buy out Goodale’s last two years of his contract and have Pat Hobbs go get that big name coach!
Or
Have Goodale and Pike swap jobs!
Maybe fan base will be happy then.

We do not have the pedigree of Iowa, PSU or the elites in wrestling and probably never will ..you can’t join a race in the last lap so to speak and expect the same results or recruits they get ..it just won’t happen ..having said that we sure are further along they anyone would have imagined back when we were in the barn ..attendance at the RAC for good teams is way above any expectations ...be happy with what Goody has accomplished instead of incessant complaint about something that more then likely will never happen ...if it bothers you so much then donate more and speak with your wallets instead of whining all the time ...maybe tons of money can lure a Cael Sanders or whoever you think is around we can actually get that’s better then Goody ....I’ll stick with what we have and be happy with it ....give credit where credit is due for a change .

I'm not calling for Goody to leave and I don't want him to go but why doesn't Donny P's name ever come up in the new coach discussions? If I was him and didn't get a chance at the job I'd move on and then Rutgers would have a problem.

• Haha
We do not have the pedigree of Iowa, PSU or the elites in wrestling and probably never will ..you can’t join a race in the last lap so to speak and expect the same results or recruits they get ..it just won’t happen ..having said that we sure are further along they anyone would have imagined back when we were in the barn ..attendance at the RAC for good teams is way above any expectations ...be happy with what Goody has accomplished instead of incessant complaint about something that more then likely will never happen ...if it bothers you so much then donate more and speak with your wallets instead of whining all the time ...maybe tons of money can lure a Cael Sanders or whoever you think is around we can actually get that’s better then Goody ....I’ll stick with what we have and be happy with it ....give credit where credit is due for a change .
Now please explain how that attitude will help attract the top recruits.

Now please explain how that attitude will help attract the top recruits.
I don’t have to explain it ...top recruits will take PSU , Iowa etc over us ...they’re programs have been at this a lot longer then we have and have that legacy at their forefront to offer recruits ..we don’t ...we are getting better for sure but I’m realistic about it ...I guess that’s why I choose to enjoy how far we have come rather then whine about what we don’t have

See:

Coaches have done good job of getting the program to where it is today and an thankful for that. I don’t insight into recruiting or anything else that goes on in the building, so not suggesting that people need to be replaced. Just stating the obvious areas we need to grow if we want to get to next level. However that may happen I don’t pretend to have the information to make such judgement.

thank you for your post it saved me a lot of typing......it's always great to aspire to be the best. but in this case you are absolutely correct....our athletic tradition is non existent ...let's be honest.....we are way to late in the game to build any kind of tradition. maybe by the year 2200 if we start winning conf. titles we may have built a solid tradition in athletics.....as for now let's be competitive and ,not be bottom feeders......we are finally achieving what we set out to do.......not being an embarrassment in the best conf. in the nation.

You hit on several key issues but not all and not the underlying issues.

"Poz, Soldano, Peterson, even JoJo, Kannaird, and Janzer were elite recruits"
In only his second year, we're already worried about Poz. Peterson has been injured or sick since showing up and I have my doubts and concern that he might join the ranks of Aragaona, Raimo, Aguilar, Glassgow, and Vulakh. There is a string of others that have not "panned out". Judge yourself whether or not Kanniard is advancing like an elite recruit should. Janzer wasn't and now he's injured as is Turley. Soldano? Wait and see.
Basically every recruit coming to wrestle division 1 can be considered “elite recruit” so there are tiers. Of this list, Soldano and Jojo were 5 star recruit coming out of hs(top 15 p4p) Poz/Peterson/Glasgow 4 star(top 15-40p4p) Kanniard/Janzers/Turley 3 star(40-60p4p). We had a lot of guys that didn’t “pan out” but this happens with every program.. think Manville at PSU or Decatur/Camp at Ohio st.. they just get so many top tier recruits no one notices… I can’t think of any wrestlers that transferred out of RU and jumped lvls/became AA at new campus….(maybe Jojo will?) so I don’t think it has to do with the coaching as much as how bad the wrestler wants it.

To become top 10 program u need to recruit the elite guys(Suriano/Ashnault/Griffith) guys that would succeed at just about any program, while also finding hidden gems(Seabass/Perotti/Cassar).

This board is obsessed with any RU elite recruit who does not pan out other than another top recruit at other elite schools. It is the coaches fault for failing to keep these recruits at the top level. They seem to overlook the development of Suriano and Ashnault as NCAA champs

Basically every recruit coming to wrestle division 1 can be considered “elite recruit” so there are tiers. Of this list, Soldano and Jojo were 5 star recruit coming out of hs(top 15 p4p) Poz/Peterson/Glasgow 4 star(top 15-40p4p) Kanniard/Janzers/Turley 3 star(40-60p4p). We had a lot of guys that didn’t “pan out” but this happens with every program.. think Manville at PSU or Decatur/Camp at Ohio st.. they just get so many top tier recruits no one notices… I can’t think of any wrestlers that transferred out of RU and jumped lvls/became AA at new campus….(maybe Jojo will?) so I don’t think it has to do with the coaching as much as how bad the wrestler wants it.

To become top 10 program u need to recruit the elite guys(Suriano/Ashnault/Griffith) guys that would succeed at just about any program, while also finding hidden gems(Seabass/Perotti/Cassar).
Don't expect anything from Jojo. Watched a few of his matches and he's done...

We q st
Oh Bill stop. We all have valid points about goodys coaching abilities and where he's brought us. Nobody said buy the man's contract out. It's a public forum and people are just spouting off about why we are not moving or progressing and staying stagnant. Most of us are just making small talk and offering some alternative resolutions. You're too much of a rah rah for Goodale and crew.

Sorry Crackers. I accept the “Homer” tag and plead guilty. I guess my sarcasm fell flat.

Hypothetically speaking, if we did buy Goodale out, I'd give B1G money to Pat Popolizio at NC State. He's too good to not be coaching in the best wrestling conference in the land. That being said Goodale isn't going anywhere outside of on his terms.

This forum's members have expressed various views, some accepting the status quo and others wanting to see advancement in the program. What does Goodale want to see happen? Does he want the program to advance to a more competitive position or is he satisfied with where things are? If the latter, well, that tells us something. If the former, then the folks that are satisfied with where we are are out of sync with the program's goal. I'm in the camp of wanting significant advancement.

I can't imagine that Goodale would be recruiting kids with the promise of status quo: "Look what we've done and where we are in the ranking; come be a part of it" vs. a more competitive message of what the kid can help make happen and how that will happen. If the recruiting is done just to be competitive in the top 20, it will stay there. If the program truly wants top recruits, it needs to present a better picture of the future and it needs to show better results from its top recruits. I know I think differently from some others here but this sounds logical to me.

If I were a top recruit, or more realistically, the father of one, and read this forum recently, I'd be very reluctant to join a team that has peaked and is satisfied with their 2nd tier competitiveness. So, back to Goodale... what is his goal? Is he satisfied with where the program is performing or are forum posters out of sync with him?

I dont think any coach is satisfied with where they are. The Brands Bros special on Big10 network they keep improving widening the gap in indiv matches and seasons.

Hypothetically speaking, if we did buy Goodale out, I'd give B1G money to Pat Popolizio at NC State. He's too good to not be coaching in the best wrestling conference in the land. That being said Goodale isn't going anywhere outside of on his terms.
I'm going to be a little bit of a Gooddale cheerleader here. I really don't want him to go. To throw a man to the wayside who's brought so much to Rutgers wrestling would be disgraceful and downright reprehensible.In fact I think he deserves a better paying position. Think about it, when Brands and Carl took over Penn State and Iowa, it was already a given that they just needed a little bump to get to the next level. Rutgers was basically on par with Centenary when it came to wrestling. What Scott did, is a huge accomplishment, and I think he is grossly underpaid. Think about it. 17, 18 years ago, I bet you Brick Memorial, would have gave Rutgers wrestling team all it can handle. Now we can sift through state champions like girls at a nightclub. I think Scott has got us at a certain level, and that's basically what the coaching staff's potential is right now. If we want to stay at a proverbial 20 to 10 team every year, then extend Scott's contract to 2030. If the ungrateful narrative from fans is they want a perennial top 10, then by all means, someone start doing the hunt. I also don't want somebody like Pat Popolizio taking over and feeding off of Scott's hard work.

Can I ask a question and I don’t know the answer, please don’t jump on me, it’s just a hypothetical? What about Jordan Burroughs?
I am not saying by any means get rid of Goodale but has anyone approached him about coaching. I mean he’s probably the biggest name in the sport the past 20+ years and from NJ. Would bring an insane amount of juice and got to believe a ton of recruits would want to wrestle for him.
Now I don’t know what his aspirations are with coaching etc just wondering. I would think to get in the conversation with those top 5 you would need a splash like this.

I am guessing either he still wants to compete, doesn’t have coaching aspirations, or has already turned down offers but got to Believe we could be a good landing spot for him with B10, etc. I assume maybe he’s waiting on Manning to retire?

Again, just a question. I’m sure there are plenty of reasons and I for one don’t want Goodale gone, just some growth and adjustments to hopefully make some of these younger guys pan out and live up to their potential.

JB is now at the Penn RTC making a boatload of money and still competing. Penn will soon surpass Cornell and already beat Princeton this year with Brandon Slay, McFadden, Marc Hall, McKenna, etc st their RTC snd growing

Crackers you probably don’t know it. Mark Reiland recently died. He was a successful high school coach in Iowa. Also a 2 time All American and one time national champ.

Question: what do you think it would take for Rutgers to a regular top 10 program? What is most important recruiting, coaching, culture, money, administration support, fan base or something else. Rutgers has a passionate fan base, great high school wrestling, and one of the best facilities.
I realize you asked Crackers but I’ll offer my two cents regarding your question.

1. Assess current situation via a competitive analysis study ie. who/what is the standard; where are we (on all levels) relative to that standard.
2. Define/refine mission statement and culture; clearly articulate who we are based on this and list explicit goals.
3. Based on 1 and 2 above develop an actionable plan to achieve goals
4. Sell the plan to donors
5. Execute the plan, analyze the results and constantly/tweak/redefine/reset goals to make further improvements.

I realize you asked Crackers but I’ll offer my two cents regarding your question.

1. Assess current situation via a competitive analysis study ie. who/what is the standard; where are we (on all levels) relative to that standard.
2. Define/refine mission statement and culture; clearly articulate who we are based on this and list explicit goals.
3. Based on 1 and 2 above develop an actionable plan to achieve goals
4. Sell the plan to donors
5. Execute the plan, analyze the results and constantly/tweak/redefine/reset goals to make further improvements.
Uh oh....We have a financial consultant on our hands.. LOL

JB is now at the Penn RTC making a boatload of money and still competing. Penn will soon surpass Cornell and already beat Princeton this year with Brandon Slay, McFadden, Marc Hall, McKenna, etc st their RTC snd growing
He also posted this back in Jan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT